Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ On the Road Again ❯ Come to trust ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 10: Come to trust

A few days passed like a calm breeze blowing through the trees, and the RV remained in a safe park of Wisconsin, surrounded with a lovely forest. The weather was rather nice lately, so Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends were able to enjoy the outdoors together. After traveling up the hiking trail, the team returned to the RV, exhausted but they had a great time with memories to treasure. Metal-2 returned with them, not at all tired because he was a robot, but he found the hiking trail to be interesting. Sonic and the others settled down after the long hike, resting with some cold drinks. Shadow had been watching the robot Metal-2 ever since Sonic decided to give him a chance. The black hedgehog was watchful and alert, hidden in a tree nearby the RV. When night came again, the team slept inside the RV, while Metal-2 stood outside, guarding. Shadow was also guarding in the tree, and he did not allow any sleep to come to his eyes. It had been two nights now, and he still had not slept. He felt his body growing tired, but he refused to rest. When morning arrived, he returned into the RV, only to drink his coffee.

Sonic grew worried for him, and so when he came back that morning, he talked with him. "Hey, Shadow, it's been sometime now, and you still haven't spoke to me, you haven't slept or eaten anything. You just watch from that tree like a hawk. I'm worried, Shad." He said gently.

"Don't waste your worrying on me," Shadow said, weakly. "That walking death screwdriver is the one you should worry about before it destroys everything."

"Look, I know how you feel." Sonic said, "But I think he needs a chance…"

"IT!" Shadow corrected him, "That thing is an IT!"

"All right, okay, just calm down, Shadow." Sonic spoke to him calmly.

Shadow said nothing. He looked away from Sonic and quietly drank from his coffee mug.

"Shadow, we're still friends, aren't we?" Sonic asked him softly.

Shadow swallowed his drink down, and then he slightly turned to face him. There was a long pause between them. Then Shadow finally answered. "Yes." He whispered.

"This won't change it, Shadow. Please don't let this get in our way. We've come too far, went through so much together, so you can't turn away now. It's disloyal and wrong."

"I understand, Sonic. But for now, just leave me alone." Shadow whispered, sad in his voice. He placed his cup down, and then he stepped outside of the RV. Sonic let him go. When Shadow turned, he saw Metal-2, helping Knuckles fix the broken ladder behind the RV. When Metal-2 looked up to see Shadow, the black hedgehog angrily snorted. "Stay away from me, you stupid robot!" He growled, and then he left the RV again, leaving the team stunned.

"So, Metal-2, you have any idea how to grow coffee bean plants?" Knuckles asked.

"I have theories of such things." Metal-2 answered, still holding the RVs ladder up.

"Maybe we should consider them before Shadow falls apart." Rouge said, quietly.

"I do not wish to endanger his life." Metal-2 told them.

"We know," Tails said, "But I think Shadow needs a little time."

"He didn't even finish his coffee this morning." Sonic said as he stepped toward the team. "That's not like him, and if he keeps this up, he's going to fall down sick or something awful."

Hearing this, Tikal silently left the team talking behind the RV. She went alone with a sandwich wrapped in a napkin, walking toward the trees, and soon, she found Shadow, watching the campsite, in a tall tree. "Shadow, you want some company up there?" She asked.

"No, I'd rather be alone now." Shadow answered quietly, never looking down to see her.

"I made you a sandwich." Tikal offered it to him, in a white napkin.

"I'm not interested." Shadow refused it, and then Tikal began to climb up to him. Shadow remained silent and still, sitting on a large tree branch, and Tikal sat next to him.

"Are you hungry?" Tikal asked gently, offering the food to him again.

Shadow shook his head, no. "You know, I don't trust that thing." He said, quietly.

"Why not?" Tikal asked him, gently.

"Because it is an enemy." He replied, slightly turning to face her now.

Then Tikal explained, "But if Sonic is willing to give Metal-2 a chance, we all should try because we trust Sonic as our friend and leader. Don't be so fast to judge without truly knowing."

Not knowing what to say, Shadow closed his eyes, facing the ground. He sighed, weakly. Then he felt a soft hand rest over his, and he knew it was Tikal. He slightly opened his eyes, looked up at her, and then he saw her smiling. He could not bring himself to smile then, but his heart was pounding. He let his tired eyes close again, slowly. "Please, leave." He whispered.

Tikal nodded her head, understanding. "Well, the sandwich is for you." She whispered, and then she climbed down the tree, returning to the camp with the others.

Shadow kept his eyes closed for a long moment, and then he continued watching over the campsite where the RV safely stood. "Maria…I am so…confused…" He whispered. Shadow never touched the sandwich that Tikal had left for him. He continued watching over the camp.

= = = = =

When night came to the RV camp again, Sonic stood outside of the RV, waiting for Shadow to return. He always came back every night for coffee, but he was late this time. The blue hedgehog crossed his arms, tapped his foot and looked at the ground, deep in thought. When he heard footsteps, he looked up. There was Shadow, walking slowly toward the RV. Sonic hurried to his side, and Knuckles was close behind him. Sonic smiled at his friend, returning.

"Shadow, you're back!" Sonic said with gladness. "Come inside. It's getting cold."

"I came back for coffee." Shadow told him, and his voice was growing weaker. He walked passed Sonic and Knuckles, entered the RV, and he soon came back outside with a cup. He saw Metal-2 return, and the robot stood next to Sonic. "I won't lose track of you." Shadow whispered.

"I assure you, there is nothing to worry about." Metal-2 said, calmly.

"Yes, there is…" Shadow murmured as he looked into his cup.

"What is it, Shadow?" Sonic asked, and everyone listened for an answer.

"I'm almost out of coffee." Shadow said, and then everyone froze. He sighed and rested a hand on his head, feeling a headache again, and then Sonic whispered something to Knuckles.

"Okay, Shadow…" Knuckles said, after he was told the plan. "It's time to go inside the RV, have Tikal's hot soup and Amy's breadsticks, and then you're going to sleep."

Shadow shook his head. "No, I must watch." He said, in refusal.

"You've watched for a lifetime, but right now, let's go." Sonic said, and then with Knuckles helping him, they led Shadow to the RV. They made him sit down on the passenger seat. When the whole team came to greet him, Shadow realized how much he had missed them.

"Hey, Tikal, get that soup over here!" Knuckles called from the front of the RV.

"It's coming. Hang on." Tikal answered, and she poured it into a cup.

"I made these breadsticks myself, Shadow. Try them. I hope you'll like them." Amy said.

"Yeah, and some more coffee will arrive any moment now." Tails added, smiling.

Shadow looked at the crew, very grateful in his eyes. "I don't know what to say, but thanks. And I owe you all an apology." He said, but his friends only smiled at him.

"No need for that, Shad. Just eat this dinner that we made for you." Sonic said, smiling.

"All right fine, I'll do it." Shadow finally agreed.

"And do it well, because here comes my soup." Tikal announced, and she carefully placed the soup cup down in front of the hedgehog. Everything was prepared specially for him. Shadow thanked her and everyone there, and then he began to eat, while they watched with gladness.

The team talked together inside the RV, sharing thoughts and made plans for the next stop in their journey. After the meal and good care, Shadow felt much better and his health was restored. When the girls went out to brush their teeth and prepare for bed, Sonic was alone inside the RV with Shadow. They sat together in the two front seats, just like always, and they watched the stars from the windshield. It was a clear sky that night, so no clouds could ruin their view. It was like watching a movie in the sky, and they sat quietly while watching it, thinking of things and sometimes shared thoughts, gave ideas, or teased each other. Sonic was glad to have it that way.

"Sonic, you trust that robot now, don't you?" Shadow asked for an honest answer.

"Well, yeah, I do. He saved Tails, helped us, and proved with actions. After much thought, I wanted to give him a chance. I just think it's the right thing to do." Sonic answered.

"Then you don't see him as a threat to us?" Shadow asked.

"No, I don't, and I would never do any thing that would endanger my friends, you know that." Sonic reassured him, and Freeway nodded her head, resting in the hedgehog's lap.

"I know, and I understand now." Shadow said, and he made a little smile for Freeway.

Then Sonic heard Metal-2 enter the RV, and he was carrying a cup of coffee, for Shadow. "Hey, Metal-2, you can set it down there. Thanks for bringing it over here." Sonic said.

"It was no problem. You are welcome." Metal-2 said, and then he took a step back.

Shadow looked down at the cup. It was hot and fresh, just how he liked it. He looked at Sonic, who was smiling in the driver's seat, and then Shadow looked at Metal-2. He remembered the things Tikal and Sonic said to him before. "Well, thanks, Metal-2. And I'm sorry that I called you a stupid robot. If my friends are willing to trust you, I'll try." He said, quietly.

"Apology gladly accepted, Shadow." Metal-2 said, after a moment of surprise.

"Now with that settled, what's in this coffee? It smells a little different." Shadow noticed.

"It is Starbucks coffee." Metal-2 answered and then Shadow's eyes widened.

"Oh, that's the best stuff!" Shadow said, and then Metal-2 looked confused.

"It is? I always concluded coffee to be coffee." The robot said, standing with his arms crossed.

"Not all, but some can be different." Shadow said, and then Metal-2 looked down at the floor, deep in thought. Shadow wondered why. "You do understand now, right?" He asked.

"Quiet, please. I am analyzing." Metal-2 said, and then after another moment of silence, he spoke again. "Yes, I understand how many coffee brands strive to become the best, some add chemicals to reach their goal, lower the price, or simply wrap it up nicely." He said, understanding.

"I guess that's why some are different, and how there are so many kinds." Sonic said, nodding.

"It would seem logical." Metal-2 nodded with agreement at the hedgehog.

Then Shadow took a sip of the coffee to hide his smile. It was a start of coming to trust.

= = = = =

The next day…

The crew woke up to see a beautiful morning outside the windows of the RV. It was such a nice place, but Sonic knew that they had to keep moving on, because to know what lies ahead, there was only one-way to find out. The boys stepped outside while the girls made breakfast.

"Hey, Knuckles, get the water hose up here!" Sonic called from the RV rooftop.

"Allow me." Metal-2 said, and then Knuckles gave him the hose. Metal-2 flew to the top, without using the ladder, and he gave the needed water hose to Sonic the Hedgehog.

"Wow! Thanks, Metal-2. That was amazing." Sonic said with surprise.

"Looks like everything is ready and set to go!" Shadow called from behind the RV.

"Did we disconnect the electrical cable?" Tails asked, and then Knuckles looked to see.

"It's been done already. Everything is fine down here!" Knuckles reported.

"Well, then we're off!" Sonic called, and he climbed down the ladder. He came down to the ground, safely and Metal-2 landed beside him. "Let's go, team! There's much more to see!" Sonic called for them, and then he hopped inside through the driver's side door.

"It looks like we're going to have to back it up." Shadow said as he looked at the mirror.

"No sweat, guys. I can handle it." Sonic assured, and then everyone, even Metal-2 held on to something. Sonic played the song Escape from the City, and then he began to drive, backing the RV up from the parking place. The crew held on as things began to move and rattle inside.

"Sonic, watch it! Lookout!" Shadow warned him of a tree behind them.

"I see it, Shadow. Thanks." Sonic winked his eye, and then with the RV ready and set, he drove out of the park. The team was together and they were on the road again to follow the sun.