Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ On the Road Again ❯ Minnesota ways ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 11: Minnesota ways

The wheels of the RV soon began rolling on Minnesota ground, around and around, traveling with Sonic the Hedgehog as the driver, and his crew as the passengers inside. The road they are traveling on at the moment is quite rough on the wheels, confusing signs, and everything looked the same with trees and hills, a clear sky, fresh air, lots of space, plenty of interesting things to explore, and more trees. No doubt, Minnesota is a wonderful place to see.

"Sonic, we're going in circles!" Knuckles the echidna let him know, again.

"No way," Sonic assured, "We are not going in circles. We're heading west, like our plan."

"But those trees looks familiar…" Knuckles noticed as he looked outside a window.

"Of course, they do. They're pine." Rouge explained, and then she returned to her book.

Freeway yawned, and then she hopped off the sofa to see Amy Rose and Tikal, playing a game of chess at the small table. The fawn could not see the board because she was not tall enough. She stood as tall as she could, but she saw nothing. She looked a little sad for that reason, and then, gently, she felt robotic hands lift her up, and then she was in the arms on Metal-2.

"The best view is from up here, little fellow." Metal-2 told the young fawn. Then Freeway nodded, smiling and so she nestled in the robot's arms, watching the game.

In the passenger seat, Shadow watched them for a moment, and then he turned back to the windshield. "How are we doing on fuel, Sonic?" He asked the driver.

"For around here, not too bad, but we need to refill soon." Sonic answered. "I was thinking maybe we should stop, have a look at the map, and plan ahead to reach a town."

"My laptop computer needs its battery recharged, so we'll have to do it the old fashion way." Tails told the hedgehog as he held an old road map in his hands.

"That's fine, and besides, I'm sure everyone here needs a stop to rest." Sonic nodded.

Then Shadow took his music headphones off. "What did you say?" He asked.

"I was wondering if we should stop and have a rest, alert co-pilot." Sonic grinned.

"Sounds okay with me, sure." Shadow agreed, and then he returned to his music. "Oh, I'm going down the highway, gonna do as I please. I'm going down the highway to be free…" He continued humming the song to himself, while Tails stared with shock, and Sonic gulped.

"I'll pretend I never heard that." The driver whispered, and then he looked for a place to stop.

= = = = =

Meanwhile…

Somewhere else in Minnesota, Dr. Eggman had to stop his huge black truck to repair Metal Sonic in a laboratory, hidden from the eyes. Chaos went inside with the scientist, whining and crying for the damaged robot hedgehog. He blew his nose on a red bandana, honking loudly. Metal Sonic was placed down on a steel table to be repaired in the laboratory room. Eggman was still not quite sure what happened, and so he tried to think, but Chaos made that difficult.

"Stop that whining!" Eggman commanded him. "Just tell me what happened."

Chaos continued crying, unable to answer or speak, and then Metal gave an answer, hardly able to speak, but he did his best. "It…was…Metal-2…" The robot quietly told him.

"What?! MS-02?" Eggman gasped. "Oh no! Not that terrible mistake again!"

"Don't die Metal, please don't go to hog heaven!" Chaos whined again. The robot gave no answer, and the red light in his eyes turned off, leaving nothing but black to see.

"It must be true…" Eggman said, "Only Metal Sonic-2 could cause this damage to him."

"Oh, Metal! No!" Chaos cried again, burying his face in the bandana.

"Be quiet!" Eggman said, annoyed at the whining. "He can be repaired."

"How…how is a pear going to help him?" Chaos sniffed.

"No, I can bring him back." The scientist said, simply. "It's the head that needs fixing."

"And he always says my head needs fixing." Chaos remembered, finally calming down.

"Well, let's get to work…" Eggman said, and then he began to work on the robot.

It proved to be hard to continue when Chaos tried to stop him from using sharp tools, thinking it would hurt Metal, but Eggman tried to assure him that it was for the best. Chaos could hardly stand to watch, but it was less than an hour later, when Metal Sonic began to glow red in his eyes again. The robot clenched its cold metal fist, testing its movements. After a scan, Eggman finished working on Metal, and the robot was completely repaired. Chaos was so happy that it was over and to see the robot back again. While Eggman put the tools away, Metal sat up, turned his head and then he looked down at himself as if trying to remember everything that happened. Then Chaos came running into the room with weeds, but he called them flowers.

"Hey, Metal! I'm so glad you're better, and look, I brought you some flowers!" Chaos showed the weeds to him, and then Metal fell backward on the table, fainting. "Yep, he's better, all right! Yippee! Hooray!" Chaos happily cheered, and then Eggman shook his head, sighing.

= = = = =

Back to the heroes…

On the side of a lonely Minnesota road, the RV stopped with tall green trees to the right and to left, appearing as a wall of trees in the area. It was nice and quiet there with birds singing and the lovely sun shining down, it was warm with a gentle breeze blowing through the tress, causing a musical tone to be heard in the land. The hills were as natural temples, great for pictures too.

Amy lifted her camera as she snapped another photo. "Oh, that's so nice!" She said.

"The hills are beautiful here," Tikal added. "I have heard they can be lovely at night also."

"We could be out of here by then." Rouge said, "The boys are making plans now."

"Well, let's just enjoy it while we can." Tikal said, and then Amy took another photo.

On top of the RV, the males of the crew made plans to stop in the nearest town to refill the RV before they run dry on fuel. They looked down at the map again, thinking.

"So, are we following the red line or the blue line?" Tails asked, pointing at the map.

"Blue." Sonic answered, but Knuckles said, "Red."

"I don't know…" Shadow said, "The black line looks to be the safest way there."

"Yeah right." Sonic and Knuckles said, together. They shook their heads.

"I agree with Shadow." Metal-2 said, "The black line on the map is the shortest and fastest route."

"Hey, I'm the fastest!" Sonic said, and then Shadow rolled his eyes.

Leaving them to settle things, we look back on the girls of the team as they walk nearby the RV, and Freeway hopped over one rock after another until she came in front of a berry bush. She sniffed them to make sure they were good, and then she ate a few. When the girls found the fawn, they also found the berry bush. Amy chuckled, and then she took a photo of Freeway.

"These are blueberries." Tikal said, after taking a look. "If we gather some, we could make a berry pie." Then Freeway nodded her head in agreement, and Amy agreed also.

"That sounds wonderful, Tikal. Let's try it." Amy said, and then she helped Tikal gather them.

Rouge held the camera so Amy could help Tikal. Freeway tried to help them with the berries, but she found it better to eat them right away. Then suddenly, they heard a growl, and it was nobody's stomach. Rouge recognized it as a bear growl; not something you want to hear.

"Tikal, Amy, back away, slowly." Rouge whispered, and she stepped away with Tikal following. Freeway looked up and saw them leaving, so she followed them, but Amy did not know.

"Amy, get away from there!" Tikal warned the hedgehog as a large shadow came over her.

"What…is…this?" Amy asked, slowly as she turned and looked up to face a tall bear. "Oh, my word, you look hungry! May I recommend blueberries?" Amy screamed, and then she ran. Rouge and Tikal ran with her and Freeway back to the RV, where the boys were at the time.

"There is a disturbance…" Metal-2 warned the others with him.

"What's happening?" Tails asked, and then he looked to where the robot pointed.

"Hot chili peppers, it's a bear!" Knuckles gasped when he saw its large size.

"And it's not Smokey, it's hungry! Let's go, on the double!" Sonic called, and then he jumped down with Shadow, to the ground and the team followed them.

"Sonic!" Amy screamed, and she ran to him with Rouge and Tikal running passed them.

"Go on, head for the RV!" Sonic told her, and then he took Freeway inside with them. Shadow followed Sonic inside, but Metal-2 turned to the bear, ready to fire his blasters.

"No, Metal-2, don't hurt him!" Tails said, and he pulled the robot's arm away.

"Why not? It is endangering the others." Metal-2 said, refusing to move.

"He could have a family, and he's only protecting his homeland! Let's go in with the crew!"

"Very well, Tails. Acknowledged." Metal-2 agreed, and then they both entered the RV. Then Sonic drove out of the area, leaving the bear to enjoy the blueberries alone.

"That was a close shave." Sonic said after a sigh of relief, and he continued driving.

Shadow felt Freeway tremble as she rested in his lap. She was breathing heavily, her heart was racing underneath his fingers, and her eyes were wide opened. Shadow stroked her head, trying to calm the fawn, but then she closed her eyes, softly crying after the frightening time.

"Is she okay?" Sonic asked when he heard the quiet sound.

"Yeah, but just a little shaken up." Shadow answered, and he continued holding the fawn.

"Play peek-a-boo with her. That always makes her laugh." Tails told them.

"What? Peek-a-boo?" Shadow asked, unfamiliar with it.

"Yeah," Amy said, "You just cover you face with your hands, and then quickly remove them, and say, Peek-a-boo." She explained, and then Shadow sighed, looking down at the scared fawn.

"All right, I'll give it a shot." He said, and then he covered his face with both of his hands. Freeway sniffed, blinking tears away, and then she heard Shadow's voice. "Freeway?" He whispered, and then the deer looked up at his face. She wondered why he covered it, and she looked at him with wonder. Then he suddenly removed his hands. "Peek-a-boo!" He said.

Freeway laughed, and then not only her, but also the entire RV crew began laughing including Metal-2. Shadow had done it so well, that he lifted everyone's heart to cheer up, even his own. And so, after escaping to safety with a plan made and a road chosen, they drove on.

= = = = =

Meanwhile…

Metal Sonic made his way down the road, flying above it, of course to avoid cars. He landed down to the ground, on a hill to scan the area for any possible RVs, and then Chaos came in for a landing next to him, using an umbrella to come down safely like a leaf.

"We're here!" Chaos announced, proudly, and his voice echoed through the hills.

"Silence!" Metal Sonic snapped, angrily, and then he continued thinking of a plan.

"Oh, don't feel so bad, Metal." Chaos said to him, "I know you didn't really mean it when you tried to blast me to a crisp back in that RV Park. All is forgiven."

"That was not me, but to blast you sounds very tempting at the moment." Metal said.

"How can you be tempted? You're not even ticklish." Chaos reminded him.

"Forget it, goofball. Right now, we must find the RV with the hedgehog." Metal explained.

"And the other you, too?" Chaos asked, "Will he be there with them? Is he near?"

"So many questions…" Metal sighed, and then he slowly shook his head.

"Well, I'm very curious, and that's how I learn, by asking lots of questions--"

"Be quiet!" Metal scolded him. "I am trying to think, you miserable blue tick!"

"At least I know now for real sure that he's better." Chaos whispered to himself.

In the meantime, the RV traveled into a town of Minnesota, to refill the fuel tank. Sonic the Hedgehog drove in with no trouble, but he wondered if they were being followed again. He turned to Shadow, who was in the passenger seat, sitting next to him as the driver.

"Shadow, you think something will go wrong?" Sonic asked him.

But Shadow did not hear him. He was using his music headphones again, and Freeway was taking a nap on him. Sonic sighed quietly to himself, and then he set his mind back on the road, to drive. They soon entered the town with ease, but again, Sonic kept wondering. He decided to watch.