Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ On the Road Again ❯ Las Vegas arrival ( Chapter 23 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 23: Las Vegas arrival

The RV left the dust behind, driving on the road with our adventuring crew as they continued in the journey once again. After having some difficulties, they came to Nevada, and it was very dark when they arrived. The sky was clear and beautiful as each star told a story, and the wind blew softly like a musical flute. Sonic the Hedgehog was driving at the time they arrived to a city. The lights of this city were bright, flashing brilliant colors and different patterns. The RV stopped, still out of the city, but it was close enough for a good view to see it, and it could only be one place.

"Team, I think we just found Las Vegas!" Sonic told his friends, and everyone stood up to see.

"Wow, look at that!" Amy said in surprise. "That is a beautiful city!"

Knuckles crossed his arms. "Beauty is only skin-deep." He said.

"What does that mean?" Tikal asked him, blinking her eyes.

"I think it means there could be more to it than looks." Rouge said, and Knuckles nodded.

"Could it be dangerous?" Tails wondered, and then Shadow shrugged.

"I don't know for sure," Shadow said, "But I can tell that this is where we can refill the RV."

"Yeah," Sonic agreed with him. "I guess Las Vegas is our next stop on the road." The crew cheered as Sonic began to drive again, and then Tails turned to Metal-2.

"Well, Metal-2, what do you think of Las Vegas?" Tails asked the robot, curiously.

"I do not like it." Metal-2 replied, simply.

"But you're a robot," Knuckles said, "You can't like or dislike anything, can you?"

"I repeat: I do not like it." Metal-2 said it again, and Tails sighed.

"Don't worry, Metal-2," Tails said, with reassurance, "Sonic is the driver, you know."

Then Shadow gulped. "I'm turning pale." He said, and Freeway chuckled.

"Hey, I'm a licensed driver, so what's this all about?" Sonic asked, annoyed.

"Oh, Sonic, they're just happy." Amy said, and then she finished her drink of hot chocolate.

"It's getting brighter." Tikal noticed as they came closer to the city of lights.

"Yeah, and look, I see a sign!" Amy pointed out the window, and there was a white sign with red words, saying: Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada. They had finally arrived in the city.

"Here we are, everyone!" Sonic told them, "This is Las Vegas." And they were amazed.

= = = = =

Meanwhile…

Sonic and his crew were not the only ones to arrive and see Las Vegas, because on a hill, the spying eyes of Dr. Eggman found the city that night, and he knew the RV was there. Metal Sonic was repaired and back online after the attack before, and Chaos stood nearby, yawning.

"Okay, you two," said Eggman, "We have found Las Vegas, and I am sure the RV is there. We have a very good chance of finding them, and then, the hedgehog will finally be history!"

"Ooh, pretty lights!" Chaos said with excitement, and he clapped his hands.

"I strongly recommend caution." Metal Sonic said, wary because of the new place.

"What kind of medicine is caution?" Chaos asked, not understanding the word.

"I do not know," Metal Sonic said, "But I wish there was a cure for you, waterfall."

"How sweet of you, Metal." Chaos smirked, teasing him, and he ran to avoid a kick.

"That will be enough!" Eggman commanded, and then they both froze. "Don't just stand there, you frozen idiots! Get to the city, find the RV, and get that pesky hedgehog!"

The two stood normally again, and the robot turned to face its master, and Chaos waved.

"By your command." Metal Sonic nodded, obeying, and he left to enter the city.

"By your comment." Chaos bowed, and then he chuckled as he followed after Metal Sonic.

Eggman sighed, shaking his head. "They are such a strange pair." He said, "Oh, well."

Metal Sonic flew toward the city, and he saw the bright lights below him, but he also knew that his robotic enemy Metal-2 was somewhere with the Sonic team. He had to be prepared.

= = = = =

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada…

After refilling the RV, Sonic and his friends were off to do some touring of the city, to catch some sights and sounds that they may never experience again. Time reminded them to cherish every moment because it will never come again, and life is a journey, after all. They were truly fascinated with the city, maybe because they saw nothing like it for a long time. But hunger soon caught up with them, and Sonic led them out to have dinner. There were many places to go.

"Okay, Sonic, where do we go from here?" Knuckles asked, walking beside him.

"Not sure." Sonic shrugged. "But this is one huge, big and large city! It's amazing!"

"The lights are too bright at times." Tikal exclaimed, and she blinked her eyes.

"That's why Knuckles is wearing his shades." Rouge pointed to the echidna's sunglasses.

"What? Sunglasses at night?" Shadow asked, and Knuckles grinned, nodding his head.

"Well, at least we're here, and the RV is full again." Tails said, "I'm glad we stopped here."

"That still doesn't serve dinner." Amy said, tired and feeling hungry.

"Yes, I know." Sonic said, understanding his crew's weariness. "We'll stop for pizza, okay?"

The crew shouted with excitement, and they ran passed the blue hedgehog. Sonic fell to the ground of the sidewalk, and Metal-2 looked down at him. Sonic opened his eyes, groaning.

"Are you injured?" Metal-2 asked, as he offered his hand to help him.

"No, I'm fine." Sonic answered, and he gripped the robotic hand. "Thanks." He said, quietly.

"You are very welcome." Metal-2 nodded, and then he joined Sonic to find the others. They soon found the crew waiting outside a restaurant building, and they went inside together.

"What does it say about this place?" Sonic asked his sidekick Tails, who was with him.

Tails looked at his navigator watch, and then he answered. "According to the navigator, this is called Papa Luigi's." Then the others froze, turning to the fox. The name was familiar.

"Hello, and welcome to Papa Luigi's!" Two Italian voices greeted them, happily.

"You again?!" Sonic asked, as he pointed toward Mario and his brother Luigi.

"Yes, it is I." Mario nodded, grinning, and Luigi flipped pizza dough in midair.

"Whoa, a robot! HELP!!" Toad gasped, and he ran from Metal-2, frightened.

"Toad, show our good guests to the best tables in the restaurant." Mario ordered.

"Why me?" Toad asked, hiding and trembling.

"Because he told you to!" Luigi said, dragging him out. "Now, run along and do as you're told."

"I better get a raise for this." Toad murmured, and then he led the crew to a table.

"I thought you guys had a restaurant in Alabama." Sonic recalled as he paid for the dinner.

"That's right," Mario said, "But we had to move. The old restaurant was sold a year ago."

"Is business better here, then?" Knuckles asked the Italian.

"Yes, it's wonderful, or as you say, it's booming." Mario replied.

Just then, another voice was heard behind the Italian. "Mario, the cheese pizza is burning."

"Oh no!" Mario gasped, and he ran to the oven where Luigi was coughing. "It's a good thing FLUDD warned us of this, Luigi. Where were you, anyway?" Mario asked him.

"I was serving our guests drinks, Mario, sorry." Luigi explained himself, and he gulped.

"That is why I am here." FLUDD reminded them, and it was a backpack water tank that can spray out a stream of water through various nozzles. Mario smiled at FLUDD.

"Good work, and now, with that rescue complete, let our guests enjoy their stay here." He said.

"Okay, okay, Mario, but still, I am watchful, you know." Luigi said, as he left to work again.

"Mario," FLUDD said, "I believe you have to give the hedgehog his change."

"Oh, yes, you're right. Thank you." Mario gave Sonic his change with a smile.

"Thanks." Sonic said, "But what was that all about? Who's the talking water gun?"

"Correction, I am not a water gun. I am FLUDD, and I hope to be of assistance." It said, and Mario singled for FLUDD to be quiet. Then the Italian turned to the blue hedgehog.

"He talks too much sometimes. But please, enjoy your dinner here." Mario said, welcoming them.

"We will." Sonic said, and then he went with Knuckles to join the others at the table. Sonic sat down next to Tails and Knuckles, and so they settled down to have a quiet dinner.

But it was too good to last, as you know. Just as Sonic lifted a slice of pizza for a bite, the door of the restaurant exploded after Metal Sonic fired on it. Screaming, Toad ran for his life, diving under a table for cover. When the smoke settled, Metal Sonic was seen, standing with red eyes. Chaos stepped inside after him, wearing yellow earmuffs for hearing protection.

"This chase is over, hedgehog!" Metal Sonic said, angrily. "You will now surrender!"

Just then, Mario and Luigi peeked out, and they could not believe what they saw. "AH!" Mario cried, "My door! My new door! You're going to pay for that, you robot villain!"

Luigi gulped. "Do you know what you're saying and what you are talking to?" He asked.

"…No." Mario answered, simply. "But justice will prevail!" He said, bravely.

Sonic and the team watched with total surprise as the Italian stepped toward the robot with FLUDD. Metal Sonic appeared to be amused at the sight, and Chaos laughed out loud.

"You wretched plumber, you cannot defeat me!" Metal Sonic said with pride.

"Maybe so, but I can drench you!" Mario said, and Chaos became confused.

"Huh? What does drench mean?" Chaos asked, and to answer, Mario fired FLUDD, making them soak and wet. The water forced them backward to the wall, and they fell down.

But Chaos opened his umbrella. "I am so smart!" He said, proudly, making Metal Sonic angry.

"Throw that away you--" Metal Sonic yelled, and he snatched it away from Chaos, and then everyone laughed to see the evil robot hold a red umbrella. Mario was also stunned.

Sonic spit his soda from his mouth. "HA! Oh, this is so crazy!" He laughed.

Then Metal Sonic threw the umbrella out of reach, and he stepped toward Mario, but the poor man was out of water in FLUDD, his backpack water tank, which could talk.

"Mario, I think this is a good time to panic." FLUDD said, trembling, and Mario gulped.

But Metal-2 stood between them, and he blocked the evil robot's path. "It is time for you to leave, or I shall be forced to fight you to defend the innocent." He said.

"I'd like to see you try, reject of the junkyard!" Metal Sonic spat, angrily.

"Warning: This could get ugly." Metal-2 warned, and then Mario ran for cover.

"Uh-oh!" Sonic gasped with shock when he saw the blasters. "Guys, get down!" The team ducked down for cover, and just in time. They heard Metal-2's blasters firing.

"Oh, my beautiful restaurant!" Luigi cried in despair, covering his eyes.

Metal Sonic avoided the blasters fire, and then he suddenly heard Dr. Eggman's voice from the communication devise on his arm. "Metal, get out of there before you're blown away! Retreat!" And hearing the command, Metal Sonic had no choice but to retreat. The robot reached for the terrified Chaos, and he vanished from sight, escaping and then Metal-2 stopped firing.

Everyone slowly came out from hiding places, which they hid in for cover. When they saw that it was safe again, they came out, but cautiously. Sonic came to the robot, concerned.

"Metal-2, are you okay?" Sonic asked him, and the robot turned to him, nodding.

"Yes, Sonic, I am functioning perfectly." The robot answered.

"Goodness, what a mess!" Toad exclaimed when he saw the fallen tables and chairs.

"Really?" Knuckles asked, and then he whispered, "Looks better than my room at home."

"Whew! At least we're alive!" Amy said with thankfulness, and Tikal nodded.

"Yes, and now we better pay for the damage we've done." Tikal said, quietly.

"Those were my actions, not yours. Why include yourselves for my doing?" Metal-2 asked.

"True," Shadow said, "But since we're all in this journey together, we're in this also."

"Don't worry about a thing." Mario said, calmly. "You saved us, so what more could we ask?"

"Oh, my beautiful restaurant!" Luigi cried again, shaking his head.

"Chill," Sonic said, "We'll clean this place up in a snap. Team, let's roll!" He called, and after a few moments, the dust settled, and the Italian brothers saw that the place was clean again.

"Oh, my beautiful restaurant! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" Luigi said, happily.

"Easy as pie." Sonic said with a wink, and his crew nodded their heads, smiling. After dinner, Sonic and his friends moved on to explore Las Vegas, but Dr. Eggman had a new plan in mind.

= = = = =

Outside of the city Las Vegas, Metal Sonic and Chaos answered the call, and they returned.

"Why have you ordered me to retreat?" Metal Sonic asked the mad scientist.

"Because Metal-2 is in our way again," said Eggman, "But I have just realized something that I missed. Listen, you have much of Metal-2's appearance, and therefore, you can make trouble come to him. This city is large, but delicate." He grinned at his plan. Danger was ahead, no doubt.