Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ On the Road Again ❯ On the run ( Chapter 24 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 24: On the run

In Las Vegas, Nevada, Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends stopped in the RV, refilled its tank, and they had dinner at Papa Luigi's Restaurant, but that was when trouble came in their way again when Metal Sonic and Chaos suddenly attacked. It was a good thing Metal-2 was able to stop them, but as you know from past adventures, this could be the beginning of something big. As we now return to our tale, we find the girls of the team shopping while the boys raced outside to see parts of the city. No doubt, it is a lovely city, but so is a spider's web with morning dew. Dr. Eggman had another plan to cause the police to think Metal-2 is a dangerous threat to the city. He sent his robot Metal Sonic into the city, and easily, the machine damaged it. The Las Vegas police came to the building that was set on fire, and the suspect they saw was a robot hedgehog.

"Freeze, you're under arrest! You're surrounded!" The police said to the robot.

Metal Sonic was silent, but he fired on the police portal cars, causing explosions. Eggman and Chaos watched from a building rooftop as Metal Sonic left the troubled police, escaping.

"This is going along better than I thought," said the pleased Eggman, grinning.

Chaos watched the fire through a spyglass. "Ooh, boy, they're going to be angry." He said.

"That's the idea, and I'm sure it will work. Surprise, surprise, hedgehog." Eggman grinned.

= = = = =

In the city, Sonic and his friends spent some time together, building memories to treasure, and it was precious. The girls were still shopping inside the store building while the others gazed with wonder at the lights, amazed at the sight, and they could only imagine it without lights. Metal-2 stood nearby, watching over them. He was not fond of the city, because it was too crowded, but still, he somehow found the company of the crew good to be with, and so he was calm.

Sonic smiled as he looked up at the sky. It made him want to fly. "It would be great to see the city from up high." He said, "I wonder if they have that in a tour somewhere around here."

"They do now." Metal-2 said to him, "I am able to take you." He offered.

"Would you?" Sonic asked, and he became excited. "That would be so cool!"

"And I can fly myself, so I can follow." Tails said, "Let's go!"

Knuckles nodded. "Okay, and I can glide, everybody knows that." He said.

"Come with us, Shadow!" Sonic called, and he held on to Metal-2, preparing himself.

"I don't know about this." Shadow thought, and he followed Sonic to the robot.

"Ready for departure?" Metal-2 asked, and he was ready for a lift off into the sky.

"I'm ready!" Sonic answered, and Shadow only nodded his head, yes to answer.

Sonic held on to one side of the robot, and Shadow held the other, tightly for safety. They were ready. Sonic closed his green eyes for a moment as the robot lifted both him and Shadow off the ground, and when he opened his eyes, he saw that they were really flying. He could hardly believe it. To him, it was like a dream, but he realized that it was true. Metal-2 flew over the city, Knuckles followed them as he was gliding, and Tails was beside him, flying. It was a great view from where they were, the best. The lights blinked in many different colors below them and the two hedgehogs felt as if they were standing on the air. They seemed to enjoy the tour.

"This is awesome!" Sonic shouted at the burst of wind, which blew against him.

Shadow said nothing, but he silently enjoyed it, all while trying to hide the pesky smile of his. Metal-2 came down for a safe landing and it was close to where they had left. Sonic hopped off, laughing, and Shadow waited until they were on firm ground before he let go of the robot. Knuckles and Tails landed on the ground, and they returned to them, safely. It was quite an adventure to fly over Las Vegas in that style, and it was unforgettable for the hedgehogs.

"Wow! Thanks, for the ride, Metal-2. It was the best tour I ever had." Sonic thanked him.

"I just wonder if it was legal." Shadow just realized the possible fact.

"We did nothing wrong, Shad." Sonic assured him. "We're fine, so what could go wrong?"

"Do not ask that question." Knuckles warned, pointing to him with one eye closed.

Sonic shook his head, unafraid. "Knuckles, you worry too much." He said, simply. But after he said that, they heard police cars coming for them. "Uh-oh." Sonic whispered.

"I tried to tell you, but no, no, no, you wouldn't listen." Knuckles snorted.

"Don't worry," Sonic said, "Maybe they need our help for something. I'll take care of it."

Then they heard the police officers. "Freeze! Put your hands on your head and get on the ground!" Hearing that, Sonic and the team looked, and they saw themselves surrounded.

"Hey, they have guns, pointing at us!" Tails exclaimed after a gasp of shock.

"Officers, what's the trouble?" Sonic asked them.

"That cybernetic killing machine is the trouble, that's what's wrong!" They pointed toward him.

"What did he do to trouble this city?" Knuckles asked the police.

"He burned a daycare building, but luckily, no children are there now." An officer replied.

"Impossible!" Shadow shook his head, no. "There must be a mistake!" He said, very sure.

"Officers," Sonic said to them, "Metal-2 was here with my friends and I throughout the time we came, and we were nowhere near the daycare. He could not have done it. I am sure of it."

"We are sure it was him. Now step away from that robot!" An officer ordered, with a gun.

Sonic and the others stood firm, keeping Metal-2 in the midst of them, forming a shield, but when an officer pointed a gun toward Sonic, Metal-2 fired his blasters, hitting only the gun out of the hand of the officer. The gun fell to the street, but the officer was unharmed.

"Metal-2, don't!" Sonic shouted at him, and he pulled the robot's arm away from aiming.

"Arrest them!" An officer commanded, and then without warning, Metal-2 escaped with Sonic, flying over the portal cars. Sonic held on as if for his life, and the robot vanished with him.

"Maybe we didn't try hard enough." Shadow said, "But I am the Ultimate, able to find them!" He ran into the direction where Metal-2 and Sonic had gone, and the police officers saw that the red echidna and the young fox were no longer there. They disappeared without leaving a clue behind.

= = = = =

A short time later…

"Where did they go?" Knuckles asked, walking with Tails and Shadow in the city.

"I don't know," Tails answered, "But what I do know is, we have to find them soon."

"But where?" Shadow quietly asked himself as he and the others continued looking.

They stopped in front of a warehouse, listening and watching for anything or any clue. They turned around when they heard a door open behind them, and they saw two hedgehogs wearing dark shades over their eyes, and black leather jackets. But Shadow recognized them.

"Sonic? Metal-2?" Shadow asked to be sure of it, and one lowered his shades down.

Green eyes were seen. "Yeah, it's me." Sonic whispered, answering him.

"Metal-2, are you there?" Tails asked him, and the robot nodded his head, yes.

"Affirmative." Metal-2 replied in a whisper, wearing shades over his eyes and a black jacket.

"You guys look like cyclist, or something." Knuckles noticed after he saw the design.

"It was all I could think of, until we clear Metal-2's name, it's needed. We've got to find Metal." Sonic said, and just then, the evil robot appeared in front of him, armed and dangerous.

"So," said Sonic, "Now we can get down to the real fight! The last Sonic standing will be the winner! I know it was you who burned the building, then blaming my friend, and you will pay!"

"We shall see, weakling." Metal Sonic said, and he suddenly snatched Sonic away, flying out of reach, so the others could not stop him, but Metal-2 flew after them, flying over the city.

"Let go, you big ape!" Sonic yelled at the evil robot, which had captured him.

"Very well, if you say so." Metal Sonic let go, allowing the hedgehog to fall down, far down.

"WHOAAAAAAAAAA!" Sonic screamed as he fell, but Metal-2 suddenly caught him. The robot was flying and Sonic held on, gasping at the sight below him. "Yikes!" He yelped.

"Hold on!" Metal-2 said, and he turned to face Metal Sonic, the enemy robot.

"Let him fall, reject, or I will shoot him down!" Metal Sonic threatened with his weapon.

Metal-2 did not let Sonic fall to his death, but he continued holding him. "I cannot allow that to happen. You do not understand teamwork!" Metal-2 said, and Sonic understood him.

"What?" Metal Sonic asked; confused, and Metal-2 let Sonic go toward the other robot.

Sonic leaped in midair, toward the robot with a powerful homing attack, and Metal-2 caught him, to keep the hedgehog from falling. Metal Sonic was hit hard; damaged after the sudden attack and he fell down toward the city, and out of sight. Metal-2 carefully traveled down to land, but he knew that one attack could not bring the enemy robot down that easily. It could be a deception. When they came to the ground, they heard police cars nearby. Then Knuckles and Tails arrived.

"Sonic, come quickly!" Tails called, breathless, and Knuckles could hardly speak.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Sonic asked, and then he noticed that Shadow was missing.

"It's Shadow!" Tails quickly answered, "Metal got him, and now he wants to see you!"

"He will see more. I guarantee it." Metal-2 said, and he left with an angry Sonic to find them.

= = = = =

In front of a large storage building, Sonic and Metal-2 came to a sudden stop. It was dark and quiet, but even Sonic felt uneasy to be in that presence. The blue hedgehog stepped forward, ahead of Metal-2, and then he saw the enemy robot when it came landing in front of him.

"All right, you monster, where's Shadow?" Sonic asked, pointing toward the robot.

"Shadow is very busy right now…." Metal Sonic said, answering him.

"Let him go, now!" Sonic yelled when he realized the enemy robot had him somewhere.

"You and your crew have been enough trouble to us, and for too long." Metal Sonic said, "If you want your black problem again, you'll have to pass me first!" He pointed to himself.

"I think you have a loose screw!" Sonic said, angrily. "You know I'll do anything to get him back!" Then he ran toward the robot, and Metal-2 attacked from behind.

As the three were fighting, the Las Vegas police arrived, and then they saw two robot hedgehogs, one fighting against the other. Then they were surprised to see the red echidna come gliding toward the blue hedgehog. It was Knuckles, and he was ready to help in the fight. Now it was three against one, three using teamwork, three together knowing what to do, reaching for a goal. Metal-2 fired at his robotic enemy again, and then Metal Sonic vanished, defeated in the battle.

Then Sonic turned to his crew. "We don't have time to chase that robot! Where's Shadow?"

"That way!" Tails pointed toward the building. "That's where Metal took him, I'm sure!"

"Then let's jet, crew!" Sonic called, and he ran into the building with the others following. It was dark with only the moonlight to guide them and some of the city lights from outside. Sonic and the others searched the building, and Sonic was the first to see Shadow on the floor, kept down on his back with chains wrapped tightly around his waist, wrist, and chest, making it hard to breathe.

"Shadow, I'm here!" Sonic called, and then Shadow opened his eyes, but barely.

Shadow could not speak, but he felt Sonic fighting the chains to free him, but they were too strong. Shadow closed his eyes again after seeing that his friend had truly come.

"Metal-2, over here!" Sonic called, and the robot quickly found him with Shadow. "Metal-2, Shadow can't breathe, and we must free him from these chains!" Sonic said.

"Acknowledged, Sonic." Metal-2 said with a nod, and then his hands took hold of the chains. He broke them, setting Shadow free, and the black hedgehog gasped for air with relief.

"Don't move, Shadow." Sonic said, gently holding him down. "You're okay, just rest a minute."

Shadow only nodded, and then he held Metal-2's hand, and Sonic saw this. Metal-2 gently gripped the hedgehog's hand in return, and after a moment of recovery, Sonic and Metal-2 lifted Shadow to stand. At first, he felt dizzy, but his friends helped him, and he was fine again.

"Thank you." Shadow said after a good breath of air. Then he faced Metal-2. "I never thought you would do that for me." He said, and Metal-2 slightly turned his head with wonder.

"To error is hedgehog, to forgive is machine." Metal-2 said, and then he saw Sonic and Shadow's face. "Is that amusing?" He asked them, and Sonic silently shook his head with doubt.

Then Knuckles looked at his watch. "Whoa, look at the time! The girls are ready to be picked up. We have to go now." He said, and the others agreed, and so they left together. At last, the police understood what really happened, and they let Metal-2 go without arrest. His name was cleared.

Later, the RV stopped in front of the shopping store, and the girls of the crew climbed in. Sonic began to drive after they closed the door, and Shadow peacefully rested in the passenger chair. He no longer felt pain, he was breathing normally, and for that, he had his friends to thank.

"Hey," Rouge said, "I hope you boys didn't get bored to death out here with nothing to do."

"Yeah," Amy said to them, "We thought you guys fell asleep."

"Were we gone long?" Tikal asked, and Sonic shook his head, no.

"No, not at all, gals. The team and I found some things to keep us awake." Sonic said, and he drove the RV onward, on the road again and under the stars of the night. The crew was safe and together again as family, traveling in the RV with a path ahead of them that is still unknown.