Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ On the Road Together ❯ Stunning Georgia ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 6: Stunning Georgia

While the song Georgia on My Mind played in the adventuring RV on the road, together the Sonic crew entered the state called Georgia. Yes, the rain kept coming down, and the storm seemed to travel with them, which was rather disappointing in a vacation. Sonic was glad with a sense of relief when he entered a city called Atlanta. To his surprise and delight, the weather was calm, peaceful, and besides that, the team needed a place to stop for a time. The state of Georgia is larger than any other state east of the Mississippi, and Atlanta is its largest city.

"Okay, guys, this is it," Sonic said to his friends. "We made it to Atlanta!"

Half asleep, Shadow sat up. "What? Where? I knew you should have let me drive!"

"Why is that?" Sonic asked, coming to a stop at a traffic red light.

"Because you drove us strait into Atlantis!" Shadow said, and everyone gasped.

"I always wanted to see that!" Tails said with pure excitement. "We found it!"

"No, wait!" Sonic corrected them, "I said, Atlanta, NOT Atlantis."

"How do you know, Sonic?" Amy asked him, looking out the window.

"Because Atlantis doesn't exist," he said, but the others shook their heads.

"Well, like it or not, we're here," said Rouge, smiling.

"But I always thought Atlantis was flooded underwater, completely destroyed," Knuckles said, and he turned to Tails, who was opening his laptop. "Hey, maybe they renamed it."

"No, I don't think so," Tails told him. "Atlanta is Georgia's largest city, and we're in the middle."

"At least the storm is over," Tikal said with relief to see some sunshine. "How nice."

Metal-2 looked at the laptop screen, curious about the streets. "Strange how at least thirty-two streets in Georgia are named for peaches. They must really like that fruit in this area."

Tails chuckled. "Georgia has a long growing season, and so the people farm onions and peaches a lot. I hear that the onions here are sweet because of the slow-sulfur soil and mild climate."

"Hardly understood a word you said." Sonic shrugged, and he drove again at the green light.

"Wow, what a city!" Amy gasped with surprise as she gently pulled a curtain to see.

"We should take pictures," Freeway reminded the hedgehog about the camera.

"Good idea, Freeway." Amy climbed down for her pink suitcase, seeking. After a quick search, she found it safe, but it was out of film. "Oh no, my camera!" she said, holding it.

"What's wrong with it?" Tikal asked, and Rouge looked over to see also.

"It's out of film, and most of the photos taken are of the restaurants!" Amy shouted.

Knuckles blushed, and he hid behind Metal-2, and the blue android showed a sweat drop.

"Calm down, Amy," Tails said. "Remember, we're in a city now, so we can find new film."

"You hear that, Shadow?" Sonic asked, driving. "Looks like we need to stop soon."

"You better do that," the black hedgehog said, nodding. "I need more coffee."

"What a survivor," Sonic chuckled, and he made a turn toward some shopping places. He parked at a safe place, stopped the engine, and then he stood up, stretching. "Okay, let's go."

"Next we have to find some film," Rouge, and she asked, "But where should we look first?"

"I'll go this way," Shadow pointed west.

"And I'll go that way," Knuckles pointed to the east.

"I'll go the other way," Sonic pointed up north.

"And we'll go anyway," Amy said, stepping outside. "Come on, girls."

Tails smiled while the other boys watched the girls leave to go shopping. Metal-2 stood beside the fox, blinking. Sonic and the others went outside of the RV, breathing the fresh air.

"I knew it," Sonic said proudly. "This is the best place to stop in Georgia."

"Yeah, it's been on my mind for some time," Knuckles added.

"Well, while the girls shop, let's have a look around," Tails suggested, and they agreed.

Sonic led the way as they walked through the city, and they found it to be a friendly place to visit, that is, when you do not count the angry, sometimes dangerous stray dogs that roamed there. Sonic stopped next to Shadow when the black hedgehog suddenly stopped walking.

"What is it, Shadow?" Sonic asked.

Shadow turned around to answer, but then he saw a pack of stray dogs behind the blue hedgehog. "Trouble!" He shouted, pointing, and Sonic froze when he heard the growling.

"Lookout!" Knuckles warned Sonic, and the hedgehog quickly jumped to safety.

"Oh no!" Tails gasped when he saw the danger.

"Don't worry, Tails," Metal-2 said, walking ahead of the fox. "I'll blast 'em!"

"NO!" Tails shouted, and he held Metal-2's arm, pulling him back.

Knuckles and Shadow were trapped in a corner as four dogs moved toward them. Strange how fear can often make one forget of his or her ability because as you know, Knuckles can climb.

"Hey, that's right!" he said, and he climbed up the wall to escape sharp jaws.

"How pathetic," Shadow said as he looked at the snarling dogs.

Just then, Sonic jumped in, keeping Shadow behind him and in his hand was a weapon that was sure to work; at least he hoped so. It usually worked in the movies. It was a fetching stick. Sonic whistled, catching the dogs' attention. "Here boy, fetch the stick!" he said, throwing it.

Shadow watched in amazement to see that the crazy idea actually worked.

"They're gone!" Knuckles told the others, and then he jumped down, landing safely.

"Where did you get that idea?" Metal-2 asked Sonic.

"Bugs Bunny," he answered, grinning while Shadow shook his head.

Confused, Metal-2 whispered a question to Tails. "Who is Bugs Bunny?"

"Someone you never want to hunt," Tails quietly replied, and Metal-2 shrugged.

"You are the hunted!" said a voice above, and when Sonic and the others looked up, they saw the evil Metal Sonic, and he landed between Shadow and Knuckles. "Now, surrender!"

"Maybe next Christmas!" Knuckles snorted, and then suddenly, Metal Sonic fired a stun gun right at the red echidna. Knuckles was stunned, and he fell backward with Sonic catching him.

Metal-2 aimed to fire his blasters, but Tails yelled, "No, you'll hit the building, too!"

"Perhaps you're right," Metal-2 agreed. "Then I shall fight hand-to-hand!"

"Come and get me, coward!" Metal Sonic coldly challenged.

"Be careful!" Tails shouted when Metal-2 flew away after the enemy robot into the sky.

"What happened to Knuckles?" Shadow asked, looking down at him.

"He's stunned!" Sonic answered, trying to shake the echidna awake.

Tails scratched his head, trying to think of an idea, but then a shadow of a ship came over him with no warning. Tails looked up, and he gasped when he saw Dr. Eggman. "Sonic, look!"

Sonic did so, and he blinked at the Egg Hornet ship, which was repaired. "So, it's you!"

"Of course, just out testing my new stun guns," Eggman grinned proudly.

Just then, out of a puddle in front of Tails, Chaos Zero appeared. "Here I is!" he said, holding a stun gun also. "And now, there is no chance of an escape this time, for I have in my hand, the plush gun!" And this made Eggman feel ashamed because that was not his invention's name.

"The what?" Tails asked, backing away, trembling.

"Chaos, fire on that fox, now!" Eggman commanded, and Chaos pulled the trigger, but lucky for Tails, Chaos stunned himself because he was pointing the gun in the wrong direction.

Tails ran to Sonic unharmed, and Shadow looked at the frozen Chaos. "Ha! He missed."

"But I won't!" Eggman promised, aiming a gun at Shadow. "Say your last words!"

"Heads up!" Sonic shouted, and everyone ran for cover before Eggman fired. "Time to turn tail, crew! Let's get out of here, quick!" Sonic called, running while holding the stunned Knuckles.

"I'll get you, hedgehog!" Eggman shouted, firing again, barely missing the blue blur.

"Hurry, Shadow! This way!" Tails called, following after Sonic, and Shadow went with him.

Eggman fired a reverse shot at Chaos, awaking him. "After them, Chaos!" he commanded.

"Boy, I feel numb," said the creature, stumbling after the running heroes to find them.

Sonic and the others with him ran, but Eggman and Chaos were after them. Tails suddenly stopped when Chaos appeared in front of him with the weapon ready to fire.

"Hands up, fox!" Chaos demanded, and Tails shakily did so, sweating. Chaos chuckled, aimed to fire, but then, Metal Sonic fell from the sky, crushing Chaos into a puddle.

Confused and quite surprised, Tails looked up. "Thanks, Metal-2!"

The android hedgehog landed beside the fox. "No problemo," he said, smiling.

"RUN!" Shadow shouted, running passed them as fast as he could with Eggman chasing him.

Metal-2 quickly took Tails before a stun blast hit him, and he followed after Shadow.

Eggman stopped his ship for a moment, looking down at Metal and Chaos. "Get up immediately, you two! I want that hedgehog!" He shouted, pointing.

Metal Sonic jumped to his feet, brushing some dust off. "I compute," he snarled.

"Sic 'em!" Chaos said as he arose from the puddle and Metal quickly ran right through him, causing him to fall back into the puddle. Chaos followed after Metal anyway.

"Over here!" Sonic called to the others, standing near a closed door with Knuckles.

"Sonic, he almost got us!" Tails told him when Metal-2 let him down.

"And me!" said Shadow, still keeping his eyes alert for the stun guns.

"Where are we?" Knuckles asked weakly, awakening from the stun blast.

"We're still in Georgia, but we're being chased," Sonic briefly explained.

"And if we don't escape, we'll be plushed!" Shadow said, surprising Knuckles.

"The only way out now is through this building," Tails told them, holding a map.

"Hey, what kind of building is this?" Metal-2 asked.

Tails looked at the map again. "Wow! It's the Georgia Dome, a stadium in downtown Atlanta, also one of the sites for the 1996 Olympic games. Stunning!"

"No more stunning, please!" Knuckles begged, climbing back to his feet to stand up.

"No time to lose," Sonic said, opening the door. "Let's go!"

After everyone entered, Metal-2 quietly closed the door before joining the others inside. Just when the door closed, Metal Sonic and Chaos came to the door, and they suddenly crashed into each other. Metal Sonic sat up while Chaos rubbed his watery head with his hand.

"Ouch! Ouch!" Chaos whined, holding his head. "My brain hurts a bunch!"

"You don't have a brain, you boiling pot of trouble!" Metal Sonic slapped his head.

"Ouch!" Chaos yelped. "How do you know I don't have a brain?" he asked.

"Because I can see right through you, but I see no signs of intelligence at all, Zero!"

"Oh, yeah," Chaos said, nodding. "Mom always said I was crystal clear." He chuckled.

"Forget it." Metal Sonic jumped to his feet and he saw the door. "Perhaps they're hiding…"

"Oh, boy, hide and seek!" Chaos ran to the door, opening it. "I'll find 'em!" And he entered.

"You foolish fool!" Metal Sonic scolded, running after him inside.

Dr. Eggman heard the voices, and he hovered in his ship above the building. Inside, Sonic and the crew tiptoed their way through the building, standing against a wall as they moved toward an exit, which they had to find first. It was dark and quiet, and then they heard music behind them. Sonic stopped when he heard the song Georgia on My Mind playing with a man singing live on stage. The people clapped and cheered, and then they listened to the song. Metal Sonic and Chaos heard the song also when they came near. Sonic took a peek when he came to the end of the wall, and he saw the stage with a crowd of people watching the singers and musicians.

"We can't go this way," Sonic whispered to his friends. "Let's go out the back way." He turned, but then, he came face to face with Metal Sonic. "Oh no," he gulped, sweating. "It's you."

"All your brains are belong to me!" Metal Sonic aimed the gun at the blue hedgehog, but Sonic jumped away, running. The robot chased him with Chaos following, humming the song.

Metal-2 picked up Tails, and he took him to safety away from Chaos while Knuckles and Shadow ran after Sonic with the enemy robot chasing them. On the stage, the singer thanked the people for cheering, and then he began to sing the song called On the Road Again.

On the road again
Just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is makin' music with my friends
And I can't wait to get on the road again
On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again
And I can't wait to get on the road again.

On the road again
Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway
We're the best of friends
Insisting that the world be turnin' our way
And our way
Is on the road again
Just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is makin' music with my friends
And I can't wait to get on the road again

As the music played and the song was sung, Sonic and the crew ran for their minds from Metal Sonic and Chaos just behind the stage. Metal Sonic fired a shot, forcing Sonic to make a dive for his life, and he landed on his feet, on the stage while the man was finishing the road song.

"What is THIS?" he asked, stunned with surprise at the blue hedgehog.

The crew appeared on the stage also with Sonic, and the people continued clapping.

"Crew, to the RV!" Sonic said, pointing to the exit ahead. "We're on the road again!"

The people cheered louder at the song's title, and Sonic ran off the stage, leaving.

"Hey, Sonic! Wait for us!" Knuckles called, running after the hedgehog for the outdoors.

"Run for your sanity!" Shadow said, hovering off the stage with his special air shoes.

Tails moved to follow them, but he stopped at a microphone on the stage, curious. He lowered it down to his level of height and then he said, "Thank you very much," to the cheering people.

"Come on, Elvis!" Metal-2 said, taking the fox by one of his tails, leaving the stage.

And so, Sonic and the crew escaped out of the building unharmed, but they left the singers stunned. The people seemed to have been enjoying all of it, though. Suddenly, Metal Sonic and Chaos came on the stage, and the robot glared up at the lead singer who held a guitar.

"Have you seen this hedgehog?" Metal Sonic asked, showing the man a photo of the hero.

"He--he went that way!" he pointed in the wrong direction so Sonic could escape.

Metal Sonic took Chaos by the foot, and then he flew out of the building, heading in the way the man directed him. After that, the man took a long careful look at his drink before singing again.

= = = = =

Later that day…

Dr. Eggman had lost Sonic and the crew again, but he continued to search Atlanta for any clues with Metal Sonic and Chaos. The crew rested safely beside the RV, tired after the chase. Metal-2 was not tired, so he stood watching over the weary travelers. They were asleep when the girls finally returned from shopping in town. They stopped, let their bags down, and they giggled.

"My goodness, were we gone for THAT long?" Tikal asked, chuckling at the sleeping heroes.

"They must have been bored out of their skins, and they fell asleep waiting for us," said Rouge.

"Sure looks like it," Freeway agreed, smiling at them.

"Metal-2, is everything okay? Are they all right?" Amy asked him, quietly approaching.

"Everything is fine now, Amy. There is no need to worry," Metal-2 answered calmly.

"I wonder where we're going to next," Tikal said as she carried the bags inside the RV.

"We'll find out soon," Rouge said, and Amy looked down at the sleeping boys.

"Maybe you should drive us out, Metal-2. They need some rest," she said.

"You read my mind." Metal-2 smiled, carrying her inside first. "We're gone."