Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ On the Road Together ❯ Cream And Cheese ( Chapter 16 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 16: Cream And Cheese

It was all a blur and so unclear at first, but Metal Sonic somehow reactivated. Awake, he sat up and looked around the small room as he tried to remember what happened. Suddenly it all came back to him. Last thing he remembered, he was in New Orleans. He recalled the paint, and…

"Ugh…what a night!" He shook his head.

Chaos snapped awake on his chair nearby the table. "Oh, Metal, you're alive!!"

"GAH!" Metal reached for the nearest object, which was a toolbox, and threw it.

Chaos was hit on the head and fell over. Metal stood up, making sure he was fully repaired. Everything seemed to be working all right again. He thought it was strange that he was in a tree house in Houston, Texas. Confused, Metal turned to the doorway and there was Silver Sonic on a chair. He was a very old robot now, but he helped Metal repair himself in his secret tree house.

"Where did they go?" Metal asked about the RV crew.

"Heading west," Silver replied. "Now that you're fully repaired after that tackle in New Orleans, the Doctor expects you to find them. I hear he's building a new weapon to use on them."

"Hmm…" Metal thought quietly and then he said, "Aha! They must be heading for Austin!"

Silver nodded. "Good guess, my boy! You better hurry along. I'm too old to be chasing heroes."

Chaos sat up, rubbing his head. "Ouch! Yeah, and we better find the real Sonic."

"I AM THE REAL SONIC!" Metal thundered and stormed outside, flying for Austin.

"Wait up, Met!" Chaos went out after him.

Silver returned to rocking in his chair. "We had some great gaming back in my day…"

= = = = =

Location: Austin, Texas…

Driving in the nice, sunny afternoon, the traveling RV came to the city called Austin. The first thing Sonic noticed was the heavy, noisy traffic. Not all the drivers there were friendly and not everyone obeyed the road signs, which is very dangerous, and that can lead to total chaos.

"We don't need anymore chaos," Sonic said to his passengers. "Something will go right!"

"I agree," Shadow said quietly, finishing a cup of coffee. "…I hope."

"Yeah, and the last thing we need is a wreck!" Knuckles nodded.

Tails closed his laptop, sighing. "One more red light, and I'll scream!"

Amy blinked. "Calm down, Tails. I'm sure they'll be fun things to see."

"Indeed," Metal-2 said. "And besides, we're here to tour; not to squirm."

"Don't tell me where you heard that one," Tikal said, wide-eyed.

Freeway giggled. "We're in a concrete forest again." She watched the window.

"Well, I'm at chapter sixteen, so it can't get any better," said Rouge, reading a book.

"Hey, Rouge, put that down and see the city." Knuckles pointed to the window.

"I'll see when we stop." And Rouge kept reading.

Tails held his head, sitting on the sofa. He was not exactly feeling well that day. When he closed his eyes, he felt a hand rest on his head. He did not have to look to see the comforter.

"Are you all right, Tails?" Metal-2 asked him, "You're not getting sick, are you?"

"No…" Tails opened his eyes, looking up at him. "No, Metal, I'm okay."

"I think he's just hungry," Amy said. "Here, let me see what I can make." She got up from her chair and walked over to the small closet. When she opened it, she blinked and looked inside. "What? There's nothing here!" She exclaimed, "SONIC?!" And she slammed the door.

Everyone trembled, especially Sonic when she shouted like that.

"Um…" Sonic began to sweat while driving. "Did you check the icebox?"

"No, but I will!" Amy growled and turned to open it.

"Please, let there be something in there," Tikal quietly wished.

Amy opened the icebox and looked inside. Rouge silently turned a page of her book while Knuckles watched Amy search for something and Metal-2 tried to help Tails feel a little better. Shadow was trying to fold a map and Sonic kept driving while Freeway watched a window with curiosity. Tikal walked to be next to Amy when the pink hedgehog finally pulled something out.

"I found it!" She announced to the entire crew.

"Great! What is it?" Tikal asked.

"Well, it's…" Amy looked at the two items in her hands. "It's cream and cheese."

"Ah! That's insane!" Knuckles exclaimed, "This will make us nothing!"

"But I always thought cream cheese made nice frosting," said Rouge.

"Frosting, yes, but we don't have a cake mix," Tikal said.

Tails closed his eyes again. "How did this happen?"

Metal-2 blinked. "Unknown, Tails, but I have a theory that a hedgehog made a midnight snack."

"Wait a minute!" Sonic said, and everyone except for Shadow looked at him. "Let's shop!"

"Well, duh," Knuckles sighed. He shook his head and Rouge turned another page.

"But first…" Sonic made a turn. "I have an idea. You'll all like it." He winked.

"Oh, I hate it when you get ideas," Shadow groaned, still battling with the map.

Sonic parked the RV in the shade. "Trust me, Shadow." He turned off the engine.

Shadow shook his head. "And I hate it when you say that."

"Where are we?" Knuckles asked, walking passed the shocked Amy and Tikal as they stared down at the cream and cheese as if trying to think of what to cook out of it.

"We're in an Austin parking lot," Sonic answered, turning to the others. "After that long drive, I think we should stop here for a while before going shopping." Then he unbuckled.

"What's that over there?" Amy pointed to a building nearby, which was a donut shop and it had a strange name. "Krispy Kream…?" Amy read the name. "They spelled it wrong!"

"It's meant to be called that," Sonic told her. "I've heard of them before."

"You did? From where?" Knuckles asked him.

"Not from where, but from who. I heard of them from a cop," Sonic replied.

"I should have guessed," said Rouge. "Are we going in or what?"

"Yeah, why not?" Sonic said, standing. "We can all go together. Come on, Shadow."

"I'm not going," Shadow said from underneath the map. "I'm not interested in donuts."

"But Shadow, where there's donuts, there's coffee," Sonic said.

Then at amazing speed, Shadow folded up the map, correctly, in fact. "Let's go!"

"Okay, everyone, let's move out!" Sonic jumped outside through the driver's side door.

"Wait up!" Knuckles called and he opened the exit door for the others to get out.

Tikal took the confused Amy by the hand and led her out with Freeway following. Tails went out after them with Metal-2 at his side, and then Knuckles hopped outside with Rouge. Shadow was the last to leave and he locked the door after shutting it safely. Sonic raced Shadow to the door. They discovered that there were two doors, so they each opened one for the others.

"I am not that wide, thank you!" Amy said, stepping inside.

Knuckles chuckled and then Rouge pinched him. "Ouch! Who keeps doing that?!"

Rouge froze and then she pointed down at Freeway. "Don't get angry."

"Oh, forget it." Knuckles shrugged it off and entered the building with the bat following.

Tikal carried Freeway inside, following after Tails and Metal-2, and once everyone was inside, the two hedgehogs that were holding the doors opened, faced each other.

"You first!" They both said.

"Okay, we'll both go," Sonic said. "Ready? One…two…three." Sonic stepped inside and then he looked behind himself to see if Shadow was there, but he was not. "Shadow? Where are you?"

"Over here," Shadow said from a table, sitting comfortably on a chair, grinning.

Sonic just shook his head and left to be with Tails and Metal-2 at another table. Amy, Tikal and Rouge sat at a table near the countertop, looking at the menu. Amy was still trying to think of something to make out of cream and cheese back in the RV, but it troubled her. Sonic looked over at Tails and was about to ask him if he was all right, but then another voice was heard.

"Excuse me, Mr. Hedgehog?" asked a female voice.

"Yes?" Sonic and Shadow responded and then glared at each other.

"I hope you recognize me," said the voice, and then Sonic faced her.

"Oh, it's you!" Sonic stood up to see Vanilla Rabbit. "Of course I remember you!"

"Wonderful," said Vanilla. "I saw your RV and followed it here. I'm so glad you stopped."

"It's good to see you again, Mrs. Rabbit," Sonic said, smiling. "Anything new?"

"Well, I do have a favor to ask if that is all right."

Sonic nodded. "Just name it."

"My husband and I have business to attend, and we don't think it will be easy to have our daughter come along with us. So, I would like to ask, could Cream go with you?"

"Yeah, that would be great!" Sonic said, "We'll be happy to have her around to catch up."

"Thank you so much. We won't be long, I promise."

"No, take your time. In fact, why don't you let Cream join us in our vacation?"

"That would be a vacation for my husband and I if that's possible."

"It is possible," Sonic assured her. "She won't be any trouble."

"I don't know how to thank you, but I accept the kind offer." Vanilla then shook his hand.

"Where is Cream, anyway?" Tails asked.

Vanilla looked at her right side, but Cream was now behind her. "She's a little shy." Then Vanilla stepped aside to reveal a young girl rabbit in an orange dress holding a little chao in her arms.

"Hi, Cream!" Sonic greeted her happily, waving.

Cream shyly smiled when she recognized him. "Hello, Mr. Sonic."

"Listen, Cream," Vanilla said to her daughter. "You'll be staying with him until your father and I return. We'll be back as soon as we can. Be a good girl and remember your manners."

"I will, Mommy," Cream promised. They embraced, smiling.

"See you soon, darling Cream, and thank you again, Mr. Hedgehog. I have to go now."

"See ya, and don't worry. We'll take extra good care of her." Sonic waved his hand and after she said goodbye, Vanilla left the building to be on her way to the airport.

"Welcome aboard, Cream," said Knuckles. "I'm sure you'll like it in the RV."

"What is a RV?" Cream asked curiously.

"It's a home on wheels, basically," Tails told her. "We just stopped here to rest."

"You hear that, Shadow? Cream is going to stay with us," Sonic told him.

"I like cream…in my coffee," Shadow smirked as he stirred his drink.

"No, not that cream!" Sonic corrected him. "I meant the rabbit." He pointed.

"Oh…" Shadow said after looking. "Well, it doesn't look like she eats a lot."

"Is Miss Amy here?" Cream asked Tails. "Chao!" said Cheese.

"Yeah, she's over there with Tikal and Rouge." Tails pointed.

"Thank you. Excuse me, I would like to go see her." Then Cream walked away.

Metal-2 sat quietly in the back, unseen by the young rabbit. "Such a nice girl."

"Yeah, she never forgets her manners," Knuckles told him a little about her.

Cream walked toward the table where the girls were eating. Rouge's eyes widened with surprise when she saw the rabbit coming with her chao. She swallowed a bite of her donut and then spoke.

"Look, it's Cream and Cheese!" Rouge announced to the others with her.

Amy shut her eyes tightly. "I told you before, I don't know any recipes for them!"

Cream stopped, hugging Cheese tighter. "Oh, Miss Amy, please don't be angry."

Amy blinked and turned. "Cream!" She jumped to her feet. "Hi! I didn't see you. Sorry."

"It's okay," Cream said. "My Mom said I will be staying with you for a while."

"Really? That sounds good!" Tikal smiled. "Welcome."

"Is your mother here?" Rouge asked.

"No, she just left," answered Cream.

"Well, don't just stand there," Amy said. "Come join us for some donuts."

"Thank you." And then Cream sat down with Amy.

Sonic looked at his wristwatch. "Wow, look at the time," he said. "We gotta get going."

"Okay." Tails finished and stood up; feeling much better after a rest.

"Come on, girls, Sonic says we have to go now," Knuckles called.

"We're coming," said Tikal, and she stood up with Rouge.

"Time to be on the road again," Amy said to the new passenger.

Cream nodded and stood up, following Amy outside with Cheese. Sonic stepped outside last and raced back to the RV, but Shadow was already in the driver's seat with the keys.

"This just isn't your day," Shadow said to him as the window rolled up to close.

Knuckles opened the side door for the crew. "Everyone, aboard!"

Tikal and Rouge stepped inside, and Cream was amazed at the RV. She walked toward it with Cheese flying at her side. Suddenly she tripped over a rock that she failed to notice in time, and she fell. Amy turned back for her, but Metal-2 reached the rabbit first and lifted her up.

"Are you injured?" Metal-2 asked her when she was on her feet again.

Cream brushed the dust off her dress, unharmed. "No, I'm fi-HELP!!" She screamed when she saw her helper, which was someone she did not expect. Stunned and confused, Metal-2 let her go.

"What's wrong, Cream?" Amy asked, and the rabbit backed away from the blue android.

"Don't you see him?! It's Metal Sonic!" Cream was afraid.

Tails ran to her side and tried to explain. "It's okay, Cream. He's a friend."

"How can you be sure?" Cream asked him, shaking.

Tails left her side and stood with Metal-2. "See? He's a friend. Don't be scared."

"I did not mean to frighten you," said Metal-2. "I'm sorry, but I saw you fall down."

Blinking, Cream took a step toward him. "Oh, that's all right. If you're a friend of Tails…"

"I am," Metal-2 said, nodding. "They call me Metal, and you must be Cream."

"Yes," Cream said. "I'm very glad to meet you, Mr. Metal. Thank you." She smiled.

"You're welcome." And Metal-2 smiled back, happy that she was no longer afraid.

"Hey, let's go or we'll be late," Amy said and entered the RV.

"This way, Cream." Tails led her to the step. "Just step on here and you can go in."

Cream placed her foot on the step, holding onto the doorframe, and then she stepped inside with Cheese sitting on her head. "I did it!" Cream cheered happily. The others clapped their hands.

"You did great for a first try, Cream," Amy praised, and Tails entered with Metal-2.

Knuckles climbed inside and then closed the door. "Okay, Shadow, we're all here!"

Shadow turned on the engine while Sonic buckled up in the front passenger chair. Cream sat down on the sofa to watch from a window. Metal-2 was already sitting there with Amy. Tails opened his laptop to do some reading and Knuckles sat down with Tikal. Rouge returned to her book, and the baby deer Freeway took a nap on her lap. When the RV began to move, everything inside seemed to shake and it scared Cream enough to hug Metal-2 for protection. Silent, Metal-2 wrapped an arm around her gently to make sure she would not fall or be scared.

"Where are we going?" Cream asked.

"Well, we're in need of supplies, so we'll do some shopping," Amy replied.

"Then we'll head out for another stop in our adventure," said Tails.

"Adventure?" Cream wondered, "You really have adventures in here?"

Knuckles nodded. "Yeah, we really do, and sometimes outside, too. It's not always easy."

"Yes, take Freeway for example," Tikal said, pointing to the fawn. "We found her on the side of a road. We took care of her since then because her mother is…" she stopped.

Cream blinked her eyes. "Oh, how awful. I hope Freeway will be all right."

Tails smiled. "Don't worry, she's fine now, and she loves to travel. I hope you'll like it, too."

"As long as we're all together, I think I'll love it," Cream said happily.

"You have to expect the unexpected when we're on the road together," said Sonic.

Not long after they picked up their two new and welcomed passengers, the RV crew shopped at Wal-Mart for their needs. Cream thought of this as a camping life, but it was a little different to be in a RV instead of a tent. Cheese seemed to like it also. After they restocked on supplies, the RV traveled again, moving steadily forward out of Austin. They still had a long way to go.