Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ On the Road Together ❯ Watermelon Thump ( Chapter 17 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 17: Watermelon Thump

One foggy morning, not very long after they left Austin, the RV with the traveling Sonic crew inside came to a small town that was quiet and peaceful. It stopped on the side of a calm road with some train tracks nearby. It was almost time for their breakfast. Cream was snuggled under a blanket with Cheese on the bed. Her dream came to an end when Amy shook her awake. The young rabbit blinked sleepily, suddenly remembering that she was not at home.

"Time to wake up," said Amy with a bright smile. "Come on, breakfast will be ready soon."

"Okay, I'm up," Cream said and yawned as she sat up, kicking the blanket away.

Up front, Sonic and Shadow were sitting down, each hedgehog holding a cup.

"Now, I dare you to drink black coffee!" Shadow challenged the blue one.

"What? Black?" Sonic said, "I can't do that. I need cream and sugar!"

"Here I am!" Cream announced, stepping out of the bedroom.

"Good morning, Cream," Metal-2 greeted her. "Have a chair."

"Thank you, and good morning to you all." And she sat down to wait.

Tails licked his lips. "What are we having for breakfast? I'm starving!"

At the small stove, believe it or not, Knuckles was cooking something. "Pancake surprise!"

"Knuckles!!" Everyone but the red echidna himself exclaimed.

Knuckles flipped the pancakes. "They'll be ready in a minute. Be patient."

"I can't wait," said Rouge, not meaning it.

Tikal poured a glass of orange juice for Tails and Cream while they waited. Sonic drank the black coffee, which tasted like mud water in a way, but Shadow drank his as if it was a delight.

"No wonder he's dark," Sonic said to himself.

After a breakfast of pancakes, everyone stepped outside to see the outdoors.

"Wow, look at the trees," said Cream. "They're really big and green here!"

"Of course, everything is big in Texas, so what could possibly--"

"Don't ask, Sonic!!" Everyone except the amazed Cream shouted.

Just then, a long train rushed passed them; making loud noises and Cream tried to cover her ears. When the train was gone, they saw a sign, which said…

"Welcome to Luling," Sonic read the sign out loud. "So, that's where we are!"

"Sure, we landed in a grease spot," Shadow said. "What a revelation!"

"Let's have a look," said Tikal. "Maybe we'll find something."

"Like what?" Amy asked.

"Something big," Tails replied.

Knuckles blinked his eyes. "After a big breakfast like that, I could use the running."

"Okay, okay," Sonic said. "We'll stay for a little while."

"Hey," said Rouge, looking around. "Where's Cream?"

"She was standing here next to me." Knuckles pointed. "But now she's gone."

"Have no fear," Metal-2 said, turning away. "She's right over there." And the others turned to see that it was true. Cream was looking at something with Cheese and Freeway close beside her.

"Cream!" Amy called, running to her and stopped when she was close. "What are you doing?"

"I was looking for something big like they said," she answered.

"Oh? And did you find anything?" Tikal asked her.

Cream nodded and pointed to a large, tall water tank, which looked like a huge watermelon.

"Wh-what in the world is that?!" Knuckles asked with widening eyes.

"Looks like a watermelon," Rouge answered, coming to his side.

"A watermelon for who?" Sonic wondered.

Tails shrugged and took a guess. "For someone who really likes 'em."

Shadow crossed his arms, watching them from nearby the RV. "Too big."

"Could we please have a closer look, Mr. Sonic?" Cream asked, turning to see him.

"Yeah, let's go see what's over there." And the blue hedgehog ran.

They began their journey to the watermelon tank, but they stopped when they reached downtown, which was small. They crossed the train tracks after making sure it was safe to do so, and then they found themselves in the middle of a crowd. People were gathering together in Luling for something Sonic never heard of. Curious, the crew wanted to discover the reason.

"Hey!" Sonic called, trying to get someone to stop. "What's going on here?"

"Why, don't you know?" asked a man. "It's time for the Watermelon Thump!"

The Sonic crew blinked and looked at each other. "Watermelon Thump?"

"Yes, it only happens once a year. We have shows, rides and contests, music and everyone has a happy time. You must be tourists and you luckily came at the right time."

"Oh, great," Knuckles said. "If there's a contest for hunting treasure, I'll win!"

"Don't bet on it." Rouge smiled and Cream looked toward the rides.

"Let's go on a ride together, Sonic. What do you say?" Amy smiled at him.

"I say, I think I'll go find a candy apple!" And he ran to find one.

Tails felt someone tap on his shoulder and it was Cream. "What is it?"

"Could we go ride the merry-go-round, please?" She pointed to it.

"Oh…sure." Tails led her and Cheese to the ride and Metal-2 followed them.

While Amy ran off to find Sonic, Tikal and Rouge left to look around with Freeway following the two young ladies. Shadow and Knuckles read a sign that told visitors of the town. When their turn came, Tails helped Cream climb onto one of the merry-go-round horses.

"Hold on, Cream. You got it?" He asked.

Cream nodded. "Yes." And Cheese sat with her, saying, "Chao," excitedly.

Then Tails sat down on another, holding on. Metal-2 watched as the ride began. The horses went around and around with young merry riders. Cream was happily giggling as she passed Metal-2, waving her hand. Metal-2 waved back and then he looked around. He wondered where Amy was. He left the ride to find her. He walked passed Rouge, Tikal and Freeway, who were enjoying cotton candy. Metal-2 never saw them eat it before and so he watched with wonder.

"What are you eating?" Metal-2 asked them. "It looks like colored cotton."

Rouge laughed. "It's cotton candy, silly!"

"It only looks like cotton, but it can be eaten," Tikal told him.

"Looks like a fluffy pillow to me, but interesting," said Metal-2, watching Freeway eating.

"Here." Tikal gave him one of the paper cones that held the candy. "This one is for Amy."

Metal-2 took it. "I will find her. Thank you." He hugged the colorful cotton and left.

Knuckles and Shadow watched Metal-2 walk passed them with the pink cotton candy.

"I-I'm seeing things. That does it!" said Shadow. "I'm cutting back on coffee."

"Um…good for you." Knuckles grinned.

Metal-2 stopped when he saw Sonic running with Amy behind him.

Amy tried to keep up, but she was losing him fast. "Sonic, wait!" she called.

"I said, no!" And he vanished out of her sight in a blue blur.

Amy tripped on the street and fell to her knees, out of breath. Metal-2 quickly came to help her up. Amy brushed the dust off her dress, looking up to see him. She was not injured.

"Are you all right, Amy?" he asked.

"Yes, I'm okay. Thanks, Metal," she said quietly.

"You're welcome." Then he offered the cotton candy to her.

Amy was a little surprised. "Metal, you brought this for me?"

Metal-2 nodded, smiling. "Here, take and eat the colored cotton pillow. Maybe it'll help."

Amy gladly took it. "Thank you!" She hugged him.

Metal-2 had no idea a colorful cotton pillow could mean so much to someone, but maybe it was the thought behind it that made it a special gift. He returned the hug.

"Sonic won't take me to any of the rides," she told him what happened.

Metal-2 thought of an idea, and then he said, "I would be happy to take you."

"Really? Which one?" she asked.

"Any one you want," he answered and carried the pink hedgehog to let her chose.

Not far away, Tails was looking at the cars they had parked for a show. They were very old models, which seemed to make them interesting to him, but Cream thought it was boring. The rabbit was sharing her cotton candy with Cheese while Tails looked at the cars.

"I had no idea these were still on the road today," he said with fascination.

Knuckles watched with amazement as Shadow threw darts at balloons, popping them at surprising speed. The black hedgehog was the fastest one to pop them. The other players stopped when they had no more darts, and with one more balloon left, Shadow popped it with a single dart. The others clapped for him, even Knuckles. He was the winner.

"I wonder what you'll win," said Knuckles.

Shadow shrugged. "I don't know, but it was--"

"And here's your prize, lucky hedgehog!" said the owner of the game, and Shadow suddenly found himself under a giant panda plush. Knuckles laughed out loud at the rare sight.

Meanwhile, Rouge, Tikal and Freeway stopped walking when they saw a sign.

"Hey, look at this…" Rouge read the sign, "Watermelon eating contest today."

Tikal shrugged. "I'm not very hungry, though."

"Boys are always hungry," said Rouge. "Let's get them to enter. It'll be funny!"

"We gotta find them first," Freeway said. "But they could be anywhere now."

"Leave that to me." Rouge then turned to a table, which had kid's jewelry to buy and she said through the crowds, "Oh, look at all these jewels! What treasure!"

Within moments, Knuckles came gliding down to see. "Where?!"

"Hey, you, where's Shadow?" Rouge asked him.

"He's easy to spot," Knuckles said and pointed. "Right behind me."

The girls looked and were quite surprised to see a giant panda plush approaching. Under this prize was Shadow, carrying it toward them, sweating.

Freeway blinked. "Uncle Shadow!" she exclaimed.

"N-no…p-problem," Shadow said under the heavy plush. "I can handle anything!"

"Good, then you can win the eating contest!" Tikal said happily.

"The what?" Knuckles asked and he read the sign that the girls pointed at. "Um…" Knuckles turned to leave. "Let Sonic take care of this."

"What's the matter? You scared?" Rouge teased.

Then Knuckles stopped and faced her. "Nah, what's there to be scared about food?"

Suddenly a blue blur came speeding toward the group. The panda plush was sent spinning in circles when Sonic ran passed it. Freeway closed her eyes tight until the runner stopped.

"Hey, did I hear someone say food?" Sonic licked his lips.

"Yeah, look!" Knuckles pointed to the sign.

"Cool," Sonic said with a grin. "Get Tails over here. We'll win!"

"He's looking at some old cars that are going to be in a parade," said Tikal.

"I'll find him." Knuckles left and then Shadow dropped the panda plush on Sonic.

While Sonic struggled for freedom, he angrily mumbled under the soft plush.

"There," Shadow sighed with relief. "That's much better." He grinned.

"Uncle Shadow, look!" Freeway showed him the shoes that were sticking out.

Shadow gasped. "This panda has shoes that look exactly like Sonic's!"

"No, Sonic has the panda!" Freeway told him, worried.

"Well…he can keep it." Shadow shrugged and walked away.

Rouge held his arm. "Hold it right there." She stopped him. "You can't leave the contest!"

"What contest?" Shadow asked as he shook her off.

"The eating contest," she replied.

The black hedgehog raised an eyebrow. "What's on the menu?"

"What else? Watermelons!" The three girls answered and Sonic mumbled louder.

Tails landed on the ground after flying there. "We're here!"

Cream and Cheese came down beside the fox. The rabbit was eating a candy apple. Knuckles stopped running beside the giant panda plush. The contest was almost ready to start.

"Sure we're here, but where's Sonic?" Knuckles wondered.

Sonic rolled out and crashed into the red echidna, knocking him down. "Uh-oh…"

"SONIC!" Knuckles growled, and with a yelp, Sonic leaped and ran passed the contest sign. Knuckles chased him with Shadow following. They were ready to begin.

"Good luck, Tails!" said Cream in the crowd, and Cheese added, "Chao!"

The fox winked and stepped into the contest just in time. Everyone that entered the contest took a chair and a slice of a juicy watermelon with black seeds. It was the fruit of the town.

"Okay, we are ready to begin," said the announcer. "The one who finishes eating first wins!"

"Pathetic," Shadow said to himself quietly. "But I am a little hungry."

"On your marks, get set, and go!" And so they began eating.

"Go, Sonic! Go, Knuckles! Go, Tails! Go, Shadow!" The crew shouted from the crowd.

Shocked, Rouge saw Shadow eating his slice with care to avoid the black seeds, and so she shouted, "Go more, Shadow!" But her voice was lost in the cheering around her.

Knuckles' muzzle was covered with watermelon juice as he kept eating, and Sonic was not as hungry as he thought after eating some chilidogs. It was a surprise to see that Tails was catching up with the hungry Knuckles. Tails quickly finished the last few bites, seeds and all.

The announcement came. "And the winner is, Tails Prower!"

"Tails won! He won! He won!" The girls cheered, running to the crew.

"Oh, joy," Tails said breathlessly and he nearly fell back in his chair, but Sonic caught him.

"Three cheers for Tails!" Sonic said proudly, and so they cheered.

"You did great, kid," said the announcer as he gave Tails a blue ribbon.

"Thanks!" Tails smiled. Metal-2 and Amy arrived in time to see the winner.

"You were wonderful, Tails!" Amy said happily.

"You must really like watermelons," said Metal-2, looking down at the fox.

Tails just chuckled, and then looked at his watch. "Whoa…"

"Let me guess," said Rouge. "It's time to go."

"Quit stealing my lines!" Sonic teased. "Wait here. I'll get the RV." And he ran.

"Hey, where were you all this time, anyway?" Tails asked Metal-2.

"Taking Amy to the rides and hugging colorful cotton!" he answered, smiling.

"So, that's why you're a little sticky," Tails realized. "I guess we all need a wash."

"No wonder Sonic never wants to take her," Knuckles said. "He hates getting sticky."

"Never mind," Tails laughed, and so did the others, except for Shadow.

"Oh, look, here he comes!" Tikal pointed to the approaching RV.

"Now we can travel again," Cream said with excitement. "I wonder what's next."

Metal-2 picked her up. "Let's go find out."

Everyone went inside, but Tikal stopped Shadow from entering. "Wait."

"What now?" Shadow asked, still cleaning his chest fur with a napkin.

"What about your panda plush?" she asked, pointing. "You can't just leave it here."

"Sure I can," he said, picking it up, and then he tossed it to the nearest child. "And here's your prize, kid." Then he turned and entered the RV, leaving a happy child with the soft plush toy.

The door closed and then the RV moved once more. "Here we go," Sonic said, "We're off!"

"Next stop is…" Tails stopped and opened his laptop. "I'll find it." He sighed.

The RV began its departure from the town called Luling, but before they were out of sight, I myself saw the RV leaving while at the Watermelon Thump. It was unmistakable that it was Sonic as the driver. The white-gloved hand reached out the window, waving before the RV turned out of sight after safely crossing a railroad track. Seeing the giant panda plush and the contest winner's name made it easier to believe. They really were on the road together with adventures without number ahead of them, but it would be an adventure itself to record a few of their stops.

"I better write this," I said.