Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic Adventure Remix ❯ Knuckles the Echidna ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
 
Chapter 2
Knuckles the Echidna
 
It was now nighttime and Angel Island floated high in the sky surrounded by black storm clouds. The lightning that spewed forth from the clouds cast strange shapes and shadows against the other clouds. One of these shadows detached itself from the clouds and began to fly towards the island. The red and black Egg Carrier lumbered onwards towards Angel Island on a mission of deadly portent. (Well what did you expect it to do? Play a pennywhistle and dance a samba in front of Nelson's Column?)
 
Knuckles the Echidna, Guardian of the Floating Island, sat on the top steps of the alter of the Master Chaos Emerald.
 
“As long as I can remember, I've been here on this dark island, always guarding the Master Emerald from anything that could harm it. I don't know why I was given this job, why it was my fate. Destined to be here. Forever.”
 
The Master Emerald alter was carved of weathered stone and was raised on three levels. Long ago the alter gad been a grand spectacle of craftsmanship. It had now crumbled somewhat and it looked every bit the ancient ruin it was. As Knuckles sat resting on the top steps bathing in the emerald glow of the Master Emerald, a dark figure approached the Emerald. A loud musical shattering sound woke Knuckles. A small explosion knocked him backwards. Looking up he saw a horrifying site. The Master Emerald had been almost completely shattered. Only the bit that had been in the depression in the center of the altar, remained. Before Knuckles could become truly horrified, he saw a sight that momentarily startled him. A person was standing in front of the remains of the huge gem. No, not a person, a monster. It was blue, liquid looking and translucent. It's made of water, Knuckles realized. Its head had two tendrils for hair. The creature had two emerald ovals for eyes and was giving Knuckles a look that could chill molten steel.
 
Oh no!! The Master Emerald!!! Dif you do this!? Oh I'll get you for this!” Knuckles tried to punch the creature, but the monster deftly leapt into the air. Before Knux could figure out where the creature had gone, it slammed into him from above. Knuckles went tumbling down the altar steps, three at time until he slammed onto the ground.
 
“Ouch! Hey! No fair!” he yelled as he sprang back to his feet, ignoring the many livid cuts and bruises that covered his body. He ran right back up the steps with speed only possible for the truly pissed off. When he got to the top however, he saw only a puddle of water scooting off.
 
“Hey, where'd you go? What's happening to you?” Suddenly a short but violent earthquake nearly knocked Knux of his feet. The Red-Dreaded One felt the sensation you feel when an elevator goes down really fast.
 
“Oh no! It's starting to happen! Without the power of the Master Emerald, this whole island is falling into the ocean!” All Knux could really do at this point was hold on tight.
 
Angel Island, once a grand spectacle; a wonder of the world, came crashing down right next to a landmass. A huge tidal wave was thrown across the ocean. In the sky, pinpricks of green light floated down onto the island's mountains. This was only the first act of destruction in a long series yet to come.