Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic Adventures: "On the road" ❯ Surfing for an Emerald ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 2: Surfing for an Emerald

The RV of our great crew began to slow down when they finally reached a sandy beach. Ocean waves were heard outside, seagulls and the wind was blowing softly. They had been driving all that afternoon, so Sonic felt that it was the perfect place and time to stop.

"Okay, guys, we made it to our first stop!" Sonic said, looking behind himself.

"Where are we? It must be the center of the earth by now!" Knuckles said.

"We're at the Miami Beach in Florida." Tails replied, looking at the map.

"Great job, co-pilot!" Sonic said, grinning. "Now everyone can step out and stretch."

"Sounds good." Shadow said, and then he smelled the air. "Hey, you smell something?"

"What?" Sonic asked, and then he sniffed the air, catching the smell of smoke.

The team began to cough, as the smoke became thicker in the RV. Sonic stood up from the driver's seat and then Amy stepped out of the RV kitchen, holding a black pan.

"I was just trying to make dinner." She told them with a shy smile.

"AMY!" Everyone else said, surprised and then they opened the doors and windows to let the smoke out and fresh air in where it all belongs.

After that, they stood outside, breathing for air while the RV let the smoke out. Sonic took another sip of his soda from a yellow straw, looking toward the beach to see the blue ocean. It reminded him of his color, blue and cool. Tails came to his side, standing and watching.

"Sonic, we just barely got here and we already had something go wrong with this journey. You think that could mean trouble?" He asked.

"No way." Sonic answered. "Everything will be smooth. It was just a burned dinner."

"Sonic!" Amy called, running to him. "Will you come swimming with me?" She asked.

"NO!" Sonic said, sweating. "I don't like ocean water and I don't like swimming!"

Then Amy began to cry, covering her face with her hands. Tails grinned and looked at Sonic and then the blue hedgehog let out a heavy sigh.

"Nice going, Sonic, now you made her cry." Tails said, tapping his foot.

"Well, I didn't mean to." Sonic said, innocently.

"Then hit the drink, Sonic. Be brave." Tails said, smiling again.

"I'll make you eat Fruit Loops for a week." Sonic whispered to the fox, and then he turned to Amy who was still crying. "All right, Amy, cut it out and let's take a little dip, okay?"

"Okay!" Amy shouted, not crying now. "Thank you, Sonic! Thank you! I thank you!"

"Yeah, I thank me too." Sonic said, after Amy had run to find her swimming suit.

"Surf's up!" Knuckles said, running passed Sonic with a green surfboard.

Rouge the bat followed him, holding a purple surfboard and they raced to the water. Shadow stood with his arms crossed, looking toward the blue ocean. Then he could not believe his eyes when he saw Dr. Eggman as a lifeguard, sitting high up on a chair. Shadow rubbed his eyes and looked again. He was still there. Shadow slapped his face with his hand but he still saw him there.

"This is totally nuts." Shadow said, quietly while shaking his head, no.

"Ah, yes! What a perfect day!" Eggman said to himself. "The ocean is blue, the seagulls are flying, the sun is shining and---what?" He gasped when he saw something green in the distance. He grabbed his spyglass to take a closer look. "Aha! I knew it! The bat-girl has found a Chaos Emerald, but no matter. It shall be all mine!" He laughed out loud.

Then he heard a voice. "Hurry up, Sonic, we're almost there!" It was Amy.

"Things can't get any better than this." Eggman chuckled. "I've got the Chaos Emerald and the hedgehog all in one beach. Now if that's not a good day, what is?"

Sonic approached the water with caution, wearing red swimming shorts. He placed his foot in slightly and then he shivered. "It's cold!" He said, and quickly took a step back.

Amy pulled him in by the arm. "Come along, Sonic! It'll be fun." She told him.

The poor blue hero faced his fate in the water. "Mommy." He said in a tiny voice.

Shadow watched from the sandy beach, standing alone. "Well, I'm enjoying the sun."

"At least you can't get sunburned." Tikal said, rubbing sunscreen on her arms.

Meanwhile, Knuckles was surfing his way toward the beach and then he saw Rouge appear next to him on the wave, surfing on her board and holding an Emerald in her hand.

"Hey! That's MY Emerald!" Knuckles said, pointing at the jewel.

"You want it? Come and get it!" Rouge said, grinning playfully.

"Is that a challenge?" Knuckles asked, growling.

"Always!" Rouge laughed and then she surfed away, escaping from the echidna.

Knuckles was fast as he followed the bat on his surfboard, after the Emerald. He came to her side and then she escaped again, faster this time. "Come back here, you bat!" He called.

"Ha! Ha! I have you now!" Eggman said, following Rouge in his speedboat and he was right behind her. "Now you'll witness my real power! Ready, careful, fire!"

He fired a laser toward Rouge and then her surfboard shattered. She screamed as she fell toward the water below but then someone caught her to keep her from falling in danger. Rouge opened her eyes, holding the Emerald and then she saw Knuckles carrying her toward land.

"Hey, Knuckles, look out!" Sonic warned him in time and Knuckles escaped another laser.

"Come on, Amy. We gotta go and fast!" Sonic said, turning to the pink hedgehog.

"Oh, joy! This is so much fun!" Amy giggled as Sonic ran, holding her hand.

Shadow stood quietly on the sand with his eyes closed, enjoying the feeling of the sun on his quills but then suddenly, he felt drops of water. He opened his eyes and then he gasped when he saw an ocean wave coming toward him and Tikal. Knuckles and Rouge were coming on the surfboard and they made a smooth, safe landing on dry ground while Shadow and Tikal were soak and wet with water dripping from them. Then Sonic and Amy rushed passed them like the wind with Eggman following them in his boat, laughing.

"Run for the RV! Hurry!" Sonic told the others, and then he let Amy down and came to Tails who was enjoying himself on a chair, sun bathing. "You having a good time, pal?" Sonic asked him, after lifting the fox's sunglasses up.

"Yes, very. Thanks." Tails said, grinning and then he closed his eyes again.

"We gotta scat like a wild cat, Tails. Eggman is right behind us!" Sonic warned.

"Eggman? Whoa!" Tails screamed, falling from his chair to the sand. "I'm gone!"

Tails hurried and reached the RV, opening the door for Amy and Tikal, and then Knuckles stopped and let Rouge down. The bat stepped away from him, holding the Emerald tight.

"Don't touch me!" Rouge said, looking away from him. "Now I stink like a wet echidna."

"Hey, I just saved your life back there." Knuckles let her know that.

"Saved my life? Ha! Don't think I owe you one. Take a hike." Rouge chuckled, and then she entered the RV and Tails followed.

"Where's Shadow?" Sonic asked, standing beside Knuckles now.

Knuckles shrugged his shoulders, shaking his head, no as an answer.

Sonic turned around and then he saw Shadow, running down the hill, toward the RV but he was slower than Sonic remembered. He wondered what happened. Shadow reached the RV.

"Shadow, what ever happened? You're all wet." Sonic said, looking at him.

"My air shoes are soaked and they cannot run with water." Shadow answered, breathless.

"Well, let's hurry and go before Eggman finds us." Sonic said, and then they closed the door.

The RV began to move again, with everyone safe inside. Sonic sat down, ready for action.

"My CD! Where is it?" The blue hedgehog panicked.

"Just drive the RV without it, silly." Knuckles teased.

Sonic turned to Shadow who was sitting in the front with him. "Okay, wise guy, hand it over!"

"Oh, boy, you're fresh." Shadow said; grinning and then he held the CD in his hand.

"Yeah, I'd hate to be rotten like you! Give me my CD!" Sonic demanded.

"Say, please." Shadow said, moving his hand away from the hedgehog's reach.

"Please!" Sonic let it out, after taking a deep breath.

"Good boy." Shadow said, "Now play Live and Learn… NOT Escape from the city!"

"NEVER!" Sonic said, "I'm the driver and it's Escape from the city!"

"Live and Learn!"

"Escape from the city!"

"Live and Learn!"

"Escape from the city!"

"HEY!" Knuckles yelled, "Learn to control yourselves and let's escape from the Eggman so we'll live!" The echidna put the song titles together and the two hedgehogs noticed it.

"You're right, Knuckles. Escape from the city it is!" Sonic said, snatching the CD away.

"Fine. I always come prepared." Shadow said, placing his music headphones on his ears.

"The fighting's over." Tikal sighed with relief.

But then suddenly, something pushed the RV from behind. It was Dr. Eggman in a huge truck. Sonic locked and loaded his music CD, calmly while the girls were screaming.

"Can't stick around, have to keep moving on!" Sonic listened to the song, finally driving.

And so Sonic and his crew safely escaped from the Eggman and they learned to get along. But there is no telling what awaits them on the road ahead.