Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic Adventures: "On the road" ❯ Independence Day ( Chapter 24 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 24: Independence Day

And so came the time and day for the RV to arrive in New York with Sonic the Hedgehog as the driver and with him were his friends. Together, they marveled at such a great City, the beauty of it and its power. But the crime and violence wanted to change that. Sonic heard another police car siren nearby and it was most likely another bank robbery. There were many cars in that City and he wondered why it was so crowed. Then he just remembered something. It was Independence Day and no place celebrated it like in New York City. Perhaps they came at the right time.

"This is our next stop, guys." Sonic told his friends after he stopped the RV. "We're in New York and it's Independence Day." After he said that, Tails cheered, very excited.

"Wow! Fireworks!" Tails was clapping his hands with a smile of delight.

"Yeah, I think they fire them over the East River and it's really something to see." Knuckles said.

"And let's see the Statue of Liberty!" Amy said after a little leap of excitement.

"Hey, we're close to the water. Let's go out and see if it's there." Tikal said, hoping.

"What? You think she walked away?" Rouge asked, fighting a giggle.

"This is a very dangerous place," Shadow cautioned. "We must be careful."

"Of course, Shadow." Sonic agreed. "I parked the RV here in a safe place, so let's go out and have a look. Maybe we can see the Statue from here." Then he opened his door and stepped outside. He was instantly amazed at the sight of the tall skyscrapers.

Sonic and his friends were on foot and they soon came to the Harbor in Manhattan. Sonic could hear the wind blow softly and the water seemed to respond. It was like a musical tone. His friends gathered and stood with him as they gazed toward the water, and there was the Statue.

"Oh, that is so amazing! It's something you can never forget!" Amy gasped with surprise.

Then suddenly, behind them, they heard a voice. "I know. It's wonderful, isn't it?"

Sonic and his friends turned around, but no one was there. But Sonic recognized the voice. He smiled and stood calmly, crossing his arms. "Okay, Scott, come on out!" He called.

The others looked at each other; shrugging and they did not understand what he was doing. Then out of nowhere and yet from somewhere, a green hedgehog appeared and with a cunning jump, he landed in front of Sonic. His bright blue eyes were as the sky, his green colored quills were like a tree in the forest and his orange sneakers were warm from running in the street. He wore a black belt around his waist, which carried a powerful weapon. It was Scotty the crime fighter.

"Hi, Sonic." Scotty greeted him and they both shook hands, smiling.

"It's good to see you again, Scott. We're all traveling in an RV, and we dropped in here."

"And you're just in time," Scotty told him, "It's Independence Day and everyone is preparing for the fireworks show. The view from up high is stunning so you can see the Brooklyn Bridge."

"You know you're way around here, don't you?" Knuckles asked him.

"Yes, I know this City like the back of my quills and the City speaks to me." Scotty replied, and then he introduced himself. "I'm Scotty Silas Staff, the hedgehog who is the anointed crime fighter of New York. I am the Knight and the Guardian of this place, but hey, call me Scotty."

The team members shook his hand and Scotty was delighted to see them all. His appearance was much like Sonic, but his voice was different and his bright blue eyes were stunning.

"What is that thing on your belt?" Amy pointed to the weapon, a midnight blue stick.

"This is my Emerald Sword," Scotty explained and he gripped it with his hand while it hung from his black belt. "If I ever forget it or lose it, I will have no excuse. It has the breath, light and great skills of a crime fighter knight, which is what I was born to be."

"Sounds legendary." Tikal said, astonished when she saw the bright emerald green laser shine from the midnight blue stick, which Scotty held in his right hand.

"It may be legendary to some, but to me, it is my calling and my promise." Scotty said, and then he pressed the button on the stick, then the laser sword vanished. Scotty placed his weapon back onto his belt. "You all must be hungry. It's passed noon, so how about a pizza lunch?" He asked.

"That sounds delicious. It better be big, though for my crew." Sonic said, grinning.

"Sonic, everything in New York is big and if not, it's bigger." Scotty reminded.

"Then let's get the show on the road!" Tails said, and he ran passed them with Amy.

Scotty laughed with the others and he knew it was going to be a great visit. The American flags were lifted for Independence Day in that great City and people prepared for the coming celebration. Sonic and his friends agreed to stay and their friend Scotty showed them around.

"This is one of my personal favorites," Scotty told them, "This is Central Park." He pointed toward the beautiful area where trees were green and beautiful. "Sometimes it's called the City's backyard," Scotty explained, "It has something for everyone. Come, you've got to see the Bow Bridge. It's a wonderful view of the lake." He led the way to the cast-iron bridge, which linked the Ramble with Cherry Hill with a graceful arch, 60 feet above the lake. "See?" He asked his friends, pointing toward it when they arrived at the place.

"Wow, that's fantastic!" The girls gasped with wonder and surprise.

"Awesome!" Sonic said as he gazed at the great view, one that was unforgettable.

"Really amazing, Scotty. This is a special place." Knuckles agreed.

"I'm still not quite sure what's so great about staring at the water." Shadow shrugged.

"It's really neat, but it's getting dark." Tails said, turning to face Sonic.

"Maybe Scott knows a place where we can wait for the fireworks." Sonic said.

"Yes, I know a great place. Come and we'll head back to Manhattan where we can see the Bridge, and the fireworks can be seen clearly from where I know." Scotty led the way.

They soon returned to the Brooklyn Bridge and the City became dark. The lights shined brightly in Manhattan, light beams glowed on the water like the moonlight. It was truly remarkable. Sonic stopped walking and Scotty saw a grin appear on his face. The crime fighter smiled in return.

"Hey, Scott, come on! I'll race you across the Bridge!" Sonic challenged him, playing.

"That sounds like fun." Scotty nodded, yes. "I accept the challenge, my friend."

"You must think fast, Green Lightning." Sonic reminded him, "I'm faster than fast."

"I know, and how about Shadow? Maybe all three of us could go race." Scotty hinted.

"That makes it even better. Hey, Shadow, will you come with us?" Sonic asked him.

"Yes, this should be very interesting." Shadow answered, agreeing to go.

"This is so cool!" Scotty cheered, happily. "It's Independence Day and I'm here on the Brooklyn Bridge to race with two of the greatest hedgehogs in the world!" He leaped for joy.

"Thanks, and you're not so bad yourself." Sonic winked his eye at him.

"So who's next?" Shadow asked and he stood ready to begin the race.

"We are." Sonic and Scotty said together and then they stood with the black hedgehog. Scotty stood between Sonic and Shadow and they crouched down with their hands slightly touching the ground. Scotty lifted his blue eyes and he saw the Bridge ahead of him.

Knuckles started the count down. "Ready?" He asked and after the three hedgehogs nodded, he counted: "Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one, GO!"

And away they went, faster than the eye could see. Scotty was in the middle, running like the wind and the three hedgehogs ran with an equal speed. Now that it was dark, Sonic saw his light shoes glowing green at the heel while Scotty's was blue. Shadow ran amazingly fast with his air shoes and of course, as of before, they were all three a tie in the race. They laughed with enjoyment after the race and their friendship blossomed into a brighter color. The three hedgehogs found the others and together, they left to find the perfect place to see the fireworks.

= = = = =

Sonic and his crew could hardly believe their eyes when they saw the brilliant view from a tall skyscraper. They saw the Brooklyn Bridge and many were gathered to see the amazing fireworks display to celebrate Independence Day. Manhattan and Brooklyn were separate cities, but the Bridge changed that and linked them together. From where they stood, Sonic and his friends could see the Empire State Building. It stands as New York's most famous skyscraper, a symbol of the City and over the world. Ten minutes is all it takes for a fit runner to race up the 1,860 steps from the lobby to the 86th floor, in the annual Empire State Run-Up. The high-speed elevators travel up and down the tall building. It seemed like it was a City that never slept.

"That's a wonderful skyscraper, Scotty." Amy pointed toward it, smiling.

"Yes, it is, and did you know the Empire State Building is a natural lightning conductor?"

"No, I didn't." Sonic shook his head. "Is it struck often?" He asked.

"It's struck up to 500 times a year, so the outside deck is closed during storms." Scotty explained.

"Shocking." Shadow said, surprised in his eyes.

"And what about the Twin Towers?" Knuckles asked, "Did you see it happen September 11th?"

After a moment of silence, Scotty answered. "Yes, I was there…I was there."

He turned from the others and he looked toward the place where the Towers once stood. An American flag was seen waving as the wind gently blew. He lifted his hand to his forehead, standing tall and silent as he saluted for the terrible loss. He closed his eyes to hide the tears and in his mind, he could hear the screams of those people, feel the ground tremble and see the Towers fall. He closed his right hand tightly until it began to shake, and then he felt Freeway nuzzling his leg. The New Yorker hedgehog slightly opened his eyes and knelt down to hug her and the little deer licked the tears away. The others smiled, glad to see a healing take place.

"Thanks, Freeway." Scotty whispered and his eyes opened with hope restored.

= = = = =

While they drank a cup of hot chocolate to wait for the fireworks, the team was unaware that Dr. Eggman had a plan to ruin the celebration. He spun his evil plan like a spider web.

"The world is mine!" Eggman laughed out loud when he arrived in New York with Metal Sonic and Chaos. "So, this is where that pesky hedgehog has gone to, in New York. That is perfect. Metal, Chaos, you go and find them while I shoot the fireworks. New York is doomed!"

"What else is new?" Metal shrugged and Chaos did the same.

"Hey, isn't this where Spider Man lives?" Chaos asked, standing taller to look.

"You've been reading too many of those useless comics." Metal shook his head.

"No, he's real and so is Luke Skywalker." Chaos insisted, crossing his arms.

"I'm out of here!" Metal was clearly annoyed and he entered the City.

"Hey, wait up, Metal! I'm coming with you!" Chaos called and he glided across the Bridge.

"They better do something right for a change." Eggman said, before turning to his work.

= = = = =

"I sense a strange energy…" Scotty whispered and after he said the words, Metal and Chaos appeared on the same skyscraper from where the Sonic crew stood.

"What's this? An American hedgehog?" Metal asked, and Scotty nodded his head, yes.

"Red blood." Scotty replied and laid a hand over his heart.

"Your American courage talk is sickening, you green weed." Metal mocked him.

"Would you like to take me on?" Scotty challenged with his eyes burning.

"We're here for Sonic and the Emeralds." Chaos told him, walking toward the blue hedgehog.

"I don't think so, you villains!" Scotty stood, blocking the enemy's way to the Sonic crew and in his hand was his Emerald Sword weapon. The bright laser sword, which glowed as green, frightened and surprised the two invaders.

"Yikes! It's Luke Skywalker and his Light Saber!" Chaos screamed, falling backward and crashing into Metal, and so they both fell from the skyscraper, into an alley's trash-dumpster.

"Ouch! That was a fall and you failed again, goofy drip!" Metal growled. "We've got to get back up there to find all the Emeralds, get the hedgehog and destroy that cabbage patch!"

"May the Force be with us." Chaos groaned and rubbed his wounded head.

Meanwhile, on top of the skyscraper, Scotty turned to see and hear the Sonic crew clap and cheer. "Thanks, everyone. But who is responsible for this attack?" He asked them.

Before Sonic could answer, a firework was shoot up into the sky and it formed the image of… "Eggman! Oh, that creep never gives up!" Sonic shook his head and then he looked up.

"How did he manage to shoot his own fireworks?" Tails asked, gazing at the sky.

"Yeah, and how did he make it so ugly?" Knuckles added, pointing toward the Eggman image. They watched until it vanished and then the night sky was the only thing seen.

"This spells a big problem." Shadow concluded after thinking.

"Like what?" Rouge asked, wondering what the problem could be this time.

"Like him!" Sonic pointed behind the others and they turned to see the mad scientist.

"Dr. Eggman!" Everyone said his name, except for Scotty who stood silently.

"Like ME!" Eggman proudly pointed to himself. "I'm so glad you enjoyed my firework show and there will be a lot more than that when I destroy the moon with my new and improved Cannon!"

"What do you mean?" Sonic asked and he took a careful step forward.

"Because I am such a great genius, I am now able to locate the five hidden Chaos Emeralds while traveling in my new Warp Saucer. That means you stand no chance against me!" He laughed and then he finished. "The City of New York will be torn to pieces when rocks begin to fall from the sky, and so I must say goodbye to you, troublesome blue cactus! It's my turn to laugh!"

"I'll never let you!!" Sonic yelled as Eggman disappeared in his ship, leaving.

"That guy has been giving you trouble?" Scotty asked, standing with his arms crossed.

"Trouble and some, Scott. Now he could blow up the moon and crush New York!"

"Never with me as the Knight of the City. There is still hope." Scotty assured.

"Sonic! What now?" Knuckles asked the hedgehog.

Silent at first, Sonic turned and looked at Shadow who was standing beside Scotty. "If we hurry and work together, we can make it rain on Eggman's parade!" Sonic said, and then he turned to Knuckles. "We'll need the Emerald to find the others before its too late."

"We have only two," Knuckles told him, "The one we had first and the other was found in the desert, but the other five are still missing. We must travel fast to find them before him."

"That's right," Shadow said, "We could warp so there is still a chance."

"All the world's jewels will be mine." Rouge said, standing next to Knuckles.

"Okay, let's do this!" Sonic said, and then he took an Emerald, holding it in his hand. Shadow held one Emerald of his own and they faced each other. "Can we really do this?" Sonic whispered.

"Yes, I know we can." Shadow assured him, nodding.

"Hang on, everyone!" Sonic called, "We're going to travel like never before!" And then together, Sonic and Shadow shouted, "Chaos Control!" Then they all vanished and Scotty was with them. It was indeed a traveling time they would never forget and another wild adventure was ahead.