Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic Adventures: "On the road" ❯ Connecticut crisis ( Chapter 27 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 27: Connecticut crisis

It was a nice sunny afternoon in Connecticut with no troubles around. The wind was calm and there was stillness, but all that changed when the RV of the Sonic crew arrived in search of a missing Emerald. Treasure hunting was not quite the blue hedgehog's style. He liked running better and that is what we now find him doing. He had parked the RV in a safe location and now he is found racing with Shadow. They came to a stop when they saw Tails in his Cyclone ship. The fox had been on the lookout for anything unusual, but he found nothing so far.

"Tails, where is Knuckles and the other treasure hunters?" Sonic asked when Tails stopped.

"They're still searching the area downtown, but I wonder if we came to a dead end." Tails replied, and then he added, "The hidden Chaos Emerald was last seen close-by here."

"But where?" Sonic wondered quietly and he closed his eyes in thought.

"Well, somewhere between here and there." Shadow answered, but unsure himself.

"Very smart of you, Shadow." Sonic said with a tone of disappointment.

"Thank you." Shadow grinned and then Sonic rolled his green eyes.

"I think the parks around the area will be a good place to start looking." Tails said, after thinking.

"Okay, let's check it out." Sonic agreed and then he ran again with Shadow.

"Hey, wait for me, Sonic!" Amy called and she tried to run after him, but he was already gone. "Oh, I hate it when they leave me behind!" She felt disappointed.

"Don't worry, Amy," Tails said to her, "I'll let you ride in the Cyclone even if you're no good at treasure hunting." After he said that, Amy turned to him with an upset look on her face.

"What? How dare you say I'm no good?" She asked, sadly.

"Sorry, Amy." Tails apologized, and then he said, "We can start looking right away."

"That would be super nice, and you're so sweet to let me ride, Tails!" Amy giggled, happily. The young fox blushed and then he helped Amy climb up and into the Cyclone.

"Be very careful when you reach the city." Scotty cautioned them, standing by.

"We will, but where will you be, Mister Scott?" Tails asked the crime fighter hedgehog.

"I will be with Knuckles. Signal if you need help. I'll be there." Scotty answered, leaving. In the meantime, Tails and Amy left the other way in the Cyclone ship to seek out and find.

= = = = =

Meanwhile…

Sonic and his crew searched the area, together in teams and helped each other in their work, but they did not know that Dr. Eggman had arrived in his ship. With the mad scientist was Metal Sonic and Chaos and they came to the area where the Emerald was hidden somewhere.

"At last, we found the location," Eggman said, "Here in this area, the Emerald should be found. I'm sure the hedgehog is already here with that useless RV, but he will be stopped." He began to drive his ship away to look for Tails in the Cyclone. "You two get to work and don't fail!"

"Yeah, we can dress up as cops and give them a speeding ticket!" Chaos suggested.

"Bad idea." Metal shook his head, no. "We can destroy them with one blow."

"How?" Chaos asked, turning to the robot. "Are you going to blow their house down?"

"Never mind!" Metal said, and then he began to set up a trap for the hedgehog.

"Oh, what is that, Metal? Is it a jump-rope?" Chaos asked, pointing.

"No, it's a trap to capture the hedgehog. It's very simple. When he runs by, he will see the fake Emerald I placed in the center here." Metal explained, "When he stands there, we will cut the rope and he'll be smashed into a Sonic pancake!" He laughed, pointing to the heavy rock above them, which was held by the strong rope, tied to a tree and the fake Emerald was on the ground.

"Not bad, Metal. It might work." Chaos nodded and then he clapped his hands.

"Yeah, I am very scary, you know." Metal said, proudly.

"Hey, I think I hear him coming right now." Chaos whispered and he did not move.

"Perfect, then let the party begin." Metal whispered and he hid behind the tree.

"You didn't tell me about any party. Where are the balloons?" Chaos asked, quietly.

"They're in your head, silly. Just do your job and do it right for once in your life."

"What is my job? What should I do?" Chaos asked him, shrugging.

"Cut that and we smash Sonic." Metal pointed to the rope.

Chaos held his scissors and looked at the rope, then at the rock above. "Will it hurt him?" He asked.

"No, it will hurt him a lot, and that's what we want." Metal said, annoyed.

"Look, he's coming." Chaos whispered, and they both remained hidden, watching.

Sonic the Hedgehog ran like blue lightning until he came upon an Emerald. He did not know it was a fake and a trap set for him. Shadow stopped beside him and then he saw it also.

"Well, look at that, Shadow!" Sonic pointed toward the jewel. "Looks like we found it."

"But why would it be here in the middle of plain sight?" Shadow asked.

Sonic shrugged. "I don't know, but it's ours now. Knuckles will be jealous." He chuckled.

"Don't go over your head." Shadow warned, "It could be a trick, you know."

"Only one way to find out." The adventurous Sonic grinned and before Shadow could blink, the blue hedgehog ran passed the trap and returned with the Emerald, unharmed.

But Shadow noticed something wrong. "Hey, it's a fake!" He pointed to it.

"Wait a minute. I thought we agreed to never call each other that again." Sonic reminded him.

"Not you, the Emerald. But I'm still the Ultimate and you are not."

Sonic yawned, playfully teasing him. "Well, it was fun to catch it, even though it was nothing but a fake. Now it's time for me to catch YOU!" Sonic pointed to Shadow and he began to chase him, laughing. "I promise you revenge!" Sonic tried to mimic Shadow's voice, but failed.

"Hey, that's my line! You can't do that!" Shadow said, still running from him. The two hedgehogs disappeared over the hill, racing together in a challenge. But the trap failed.

"What a shame! I don't know what went wrong. I cut the rope." Chaos said and then he stepped out to where the fake Emerald was on the ground. "It must be a goof." He shrugged.

"You fool, get outta there!" Metal yelled, but it was too late. The rock suddenly fell and crashed down, smashing Chaos. Metal covered his eyes to avoid the sight. Then he heard a voice.

"Here I am, Metal. Did you miss me?" Chaos asked him, standing and not injured.

"Yeah, as much as I miss my rust." Metal replied.

= = = = =

As we travel down the road to a park, we find the Cyclone of Tails and he was the pilot of it with Amy as the passenger. They had looked all around the park, but still, they found nothing. Tails kept his courage, though and he would not give up. Anything is possible, he thought. Tails stopped the Cyclone for a moment and he looked around the open area.

"I just don't understand," Tails said with wonder, "I'm picking up the Emerald's signal very close to us here, but there is no sign of it. Maybe we made a wrong turn somewhere."

"Maybe it's playing hide and go seek." Amy said, after thinking for a moment.

"I'm not so sure about that," Tails said, "The Emerald cannot move from its location."

"But I can move it!" A voice said behind them, laughing.

Tails turned the Cyclone and faced Dr. Eggman in his ship. "It's you, Dr. Eggman!" He gasped.

"And look, he's got the Emerald!" Amy pointed with a finger.

"You are correct, young lady." Eggman said with pride. "And now, fox-boy, you will surrender all the Emeralds to me, and I'll let you live. You have my promise." He grinned.

"What makes you think we trust you?" Tails asked, while trying to think of something.

"Yeah, you must have broken more promises than your overgrown toys." Amy added.

"That is an insult!" Eggman growled, furious.

"But it's the truth, Eggman. I will not surrender and you'll get nothing from us!" Tails said.

"Then you will perish! Arm weapons and attack!" Eggman moved his ship toward the fox.

"Oh, Tails, what now?" Amy cried, frightened in her voice.

"Stay back, Amy! Just leave it to me!" Tails said, and then Amy ducked down for cover. "Cyclone engage!" Tails moved his ship forward to attack the intruder.

"Do you really think you can defeat me?" Eggman asked him, angrily.

"Nope, I know I can!" Tails bravely challenged.

"Fire!" Eggman shot his cannon toward the Cyclone, but Tails avoided the attack and then he fired his weapon toward Eggman's ship, which was a perfect hit. Eggman growled, angrily and he aimed for the Cyclone again with his cannon. "You're a perfect target for me now, fox!" He pressed the dangerous button to fire, but something went wrong. It would not fire.

"What the-what's going on? Why doesn't the cannon fire?" He asked himself, confused. He looked at his ship's computer screen and then he gasped. "Oh no! There's a bug in the program!" He pointed to the image of a cartoon bug on the screen with shock. He turned to his enemy, Tails. "This time I'll let you go. But when we meet again, you won't be so lucky!" He turned and left the area in his damaged ship, leaving Tails as the victor of the battle.

Tails closed his right fist tightly, watching him leave. Then Amy slowly peeked out. "Oh, wow! That was truly amazing, Tails! You actually defeated him!" She cheered.

"Not really. I just ran him off." Tails said, calming himself down.

"And look!" Amy pointed to the ground in front of them. "He dropped the Emerald! It's ours!"

"Great!" Tails finally smiled with a sense of victory. "Then bring it along and let's go!"

= = = = =

Like a worried parent, Sonic walked forward and back, forward and back again at the meeting place. Everyone was there, but not Tails and Amy. They had not come back and Sonic wondered if they were in any kind of trouble or if danger had fallen on them. He walked faster.

"Sonic, you're going to make a huge crater in the ground if you keep that up." Knuckles said.

"They're not here. Where are they?" Sonic asked, restlessly. "If they don't show--"

Before he could finish, Scotty stood in his way, stopping him. "Sonic," He said, gently, "There's no need to worry. I sense no danger. They're both safe, I just know it."

"Easy to say, Scott. But I want them back here and safe." Sonic said, firmly.

"Sonic, we're back!" The voice of Tails suddenly reached him.

"Tails!" Sonic called and he quickly turned around to see his friend in the Cyclone with Amy and the Emerald. They were safe and he was very glad. "Tails, you're safe!" Sonic leaped into the air and he ran until he reached the young fox. "You had me worried for a moment, little bud." Sonic whispered in his ear as he hugged him.

"Sorry, Sonic. But we found the Emerald." Tails gave it to him, smiling.

"Having you back is the important thing. Good job." Sonic whispered, smiling in return.

And so it came to be that the RV moved once again, off into another adventure and wonder. The crew was safe on board together inside and before the sky darkened, they were out of the city.