Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic Adventures: "On the road" ❯ Work of art ( Chapter 28 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 28: Work of art

The traveling RV of Sonic and his crew drove through a thunderstorm with rain pouring down in New Jersey. It was very dark outside and Shadow was the driver while Sonic the Hedgehog rested in the passenger seat. He watched in silence as the raindrops rolled down the windshield of the RV, trying to escape the wipers. Then he closed his eyes with a sigh, resting in the chair.

"That was a heavy sigh." Shadow whispered. His ears just had to notice everything.

"Yeah, so what?" Sonic asked him, weakly and he kept his green eyes closed.

"Why was that a heavy sigh?" Shadow asked, seeking to know his troubles.

Sonic was silent for a moment and then he answered. "I guess I'm tired."

"Why don't you get some sleep?" Shadow asked, keeping his eyes on the wet road.

"I slept back in June." Sonic said, shifting in a more comfortable place in the chair.

"You have a headache." Scotty said, quietly from the passenger's side.

Sonic opened his eyes with a surprised look. "How did you know that?" He asked.

"I just know." Scotty answered, simply. He gave him some medicine to help.

"Thanks, Scott." Sonic whispered and then he finished drinking the small cup of water.

"You're welcome. Now you rest and take it easy." Scotty then returned to his chair.

"We should arrive in Pennsylvania in the morning and I hope this storm will be gone by then." Shadow reported and Sonic listened, nodding his head but he said nothing. Shadow continued driving and as he hoped for, the storm began to clear. When the morning came, Shadow saw the sign that said, Welcome to Pennsylvania. They made it through the storm, safely.

= = = = =

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania…

Into the city they entered, driving the RV and the eyes of our crew could not help but to stop and stare with surprise and total amazement at the city of Philadelphia. Its beauty captured their imagination and because it was still dark that morning, the city lights continued to glow, and some even sparkled like stars in the night sky. It reminded them of New York, somehow. Tails confirmed the location, using his laptop computer and he reported the information to Sonic.

"You got the Emerald's signal yet, Tails?" Sonic asked his friend with the computer.

"I sure do, and it's coming from the Philadelphia Museum of Art." Tails answered.

"Where is that?" Shadow asked, being the driver.

Tails looked up the information and then he answered. "It's over at 26th Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway." He pointed to the map, which was on his computer screen.

"What?! I just passed it!" Shadow gasped, gripping the steering wheel tighter.

"Just turn!" Sonic said, trying to stay calm, but that was not always easy.

"WHOA!" The crew screamed as the RV made a sharp turn.

"Shadow, what are you doing?!" Sonic asked, after recovering.

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm driving!" Shadow replied, annoyed.

Knuckles gathered enough courage to let go of his tight grip. "You know," He said, after taking a breath of relief. "We should keep a sign outside the RV, saying, 'Dangerous Black Hedgehog on board.'" After he said that, Sonic laughed and Shadow blushed.

= = = = =

Meanwhile…

To many, Philadelphia is a lovely place and who can doubt that? But the villain Dr. Eggman, the mad scientist had a master plan, he wanted to put it to work and claim victory as his. Metal Sonic and Chaos had also arrived in Philadelphia, in their Warp Saucer.

"We have arrived in the city called Philadelphia. Location, confirmed." Metal reported.

"Oh, raspberries." Chaos shrugged and sighed. "I thought it was Dinotopia."

"There's no such thing!" Metal said, completely annoyed. "I rather work with a porcupine!"

"Where are you gonna find Porky Pig around here?" Chaos asked.

"I'll freeze you into an ice cube, if you don't keep that mouth closed!" Metal threatened.

"But then the Doctor will turn you into a toaster!" Chaos reminded him, defending himself.

Then Metal gasped with terror. "Oh, that's horrifying!"

"Tell me about it. But hey, we better contact him now and let him know we made it."

"Acknowledged." Metal said and then he began typing on the computer's keyboard.

"Egg knowledge? What does that mean?" Chaos asked the robot, confused.

"It means I understand you! But now, I'm not sure if I do!" Metal growled, frustrated.

"Oh." Chaos said, simply and he watched in silence as Metal contacted the scientist.

"We are in the city, Doctor, and are awaiting your orders." Metal reported to him.

"Perfect," Eggman said, "The targets will be found in the Philadelphia Museum of Art."

= = = = =

At this moment…

"I feel like a target." Knuckles said as he stepped outside the RV with the others.

"Don't be ridiculous, Knuckles. Who would ever hurt an echidna like you?" Sonic asked.

"Oh, yeah. I see what you mean." Knuckles nodded, and then he placed his sunglasses on.

"I still recommend caution. We've never been here before." Shadow said, quietly.

"That is what makes it an adventure, wouldn't you say?" Amy asked, standing with him.

"Perhaps." Shadow simply shrugged, but in his mind, he doubted.

"I'll go and find the entrance to the Museum." Tails said, and he left in the Cyclone.

"They could want that as part of their collection." Shadow whispered, watching him leave.

"What? Did you say something, Shadow?" Sonic asked, turning to face him.

Shadow froze and quickly decided what to say. "Oh, it's nothing." He said, with a slight grin.

"Okay, then let's go find a parking place for the RV and move out." The blue hedgehog turned back to the RV and the others followed him, all except for Shadow. He stood still, looking toward the building. Amy saw this and so she went back for him, wondering what was the trouble.

"Shadow, come with us. We need you." She said in truth, standing at his side.

The black hedgehog was silent at first, looking toward the building. Then he turned back with her. "All right, I'm coming." He said, in his usual quiet voice.

At first, it was difficult to park the RV because of its size, but our adventurers soon had success. After that was completed, Tails returned in the Cyclone with the news. He found the entrance and everything was clear. The team traveled inside together and they began their search.

= = = = =

Following the crew's tracks, Metal Sonic and Chaos entered the building, into the Museum. The robot stopped for a moment and hid behind a pillar. He hardly made a sound, to be stealthy.

"Now remember, we have to--" Metal stopped, surprised to see Chaos, looking on the ground with a magnify-glass. "What do you think you're doing, Chaos?" Metal asked him.

"Please, call me Sherlock Chaos, my dear Doctor Metal." He replied, standing up.

"Fat chance!" Metal said, and then he slapped Chaos on the face. "Now, find them!"

"With my trusty magnify-glass, I will." Chaos said, crawling away to find clues.

"If I was a hedgehog, I would scream my lungs out right now." Metal whispered to himself.

"Hey, Metal, I think I found something!" Chaos called from a hallway.

"Good, I hope it's your brain. It has been missing for sometime." Metal said, waiting.

While Chaos showed Metal his useless clue, Knuckles the Echidna stood silently and remained hidden behind a pillar with Tikal, and they saw the enemies. Knuckles turned and signaled to Tikal to back away, very carefully. They had to go and warn Sonic. Understanding, Tikal carefully backed away, quietly and Knuckles did the same. Everything went fine, but suddenly, Tikal accidentally knocked down a Museum's jar while walking backward. It fell to the floor, undamaged, but it made enough noise to get Metal's attention. The robot's eyes lit a bright red and he came toward the echidnas. With alert eyes, Knuckles saw the great danger.

"Go, Tikal! Run, and don't look back! Find Sonic!"

Knuckles pushed her to safety and Tikal ran as fast as she could. Knuckles saw the robot hedgehog appear and ready to attack. The red echidna jumped over a leaser beam and then he glided to a pillar, holding onto it for support, breathless. He gasped and jumped off when another dangerous laser nearly hit him. He lost his balance in the sudden jump, and with a tumble, he fell to the floor and against a pillar. Metal came toward the breathless echidna, trapping him.

"Ah, shoot!" Knuckles groaned, trying to stand up.

"Good idea." Metal nodded and then with a laser weapon, he fired at the echidna.

Knuckles was hit and he flew across the room until he crashed into a wall, injured. He struggled to stand, gathering all his strength to fight back, but then he was shot again. His face met the floor with his eyes closed and he no longer fought to stand. He was down and out.

"Now I shall terminate you!" Metal said as he aimed toward Knuckles to fire one last time. But when he fired, the laser hit the Emerald Sword of Scotty the crime fighter. "You American!"

Scotty stood firm and silent, standing to shield Knuckles as Sonic came running toward the wounded echidna. The hedgehog held Knuckles in his arms while on his knees.

"Knuckles!!" Sonic cried, "Oh, Knuckles, answer me! Say something, say anything!" There was no reply given and Sonic saw a bruise on his friend's cheek. "Knuckles…no…" He whispered.

"This is very good!" Eggman said, entering the room with his battle ship. "I now finally have the hedgehog where I want him, and Metal, you did a fine job finishing the echidna. Now, terminate the American outside, while I finish my number one adversary!" He laughed.

"With mechanical pleasure!" Metal said, and before Scotty could react, Metal kicked him out of the room. The American hedgehog flew out of the room with the force of the attack.

"How dare you?!" Sonic yelled with anger, climbing to stand on his feet.

Eggman laughed again. "This is my lucky day indeed! You, Hedgehog, are done for!"

Then a familiar voice was heard behind him. "Eggman, you won't get away with this!"

Before Eggman could turn his ship around, none other than the Cyclone attacked him. It was Tails to the rescue and Sonic felt his faith restored with his hope rebuilding inside.

"Go, Tails!" Amy cheered for him. The two ships began battling each other.

Just then, Shadow entered the room "What's with all the fireworks?" He asked.

"Trouble is brewing like bad tea!" Sonic replied, and then he returned to Knuckles.

"Oh, my!" Amy gasped, kneeling down. "Will he be okay?" She asked, quietly.

Sonic held the echidna and felt him barely breathe against his chest. He closed his eyes, feeling awful and regretted in himself with thoughts of the past. "I never should've left him." He sadly whispered and only Shadow heard him. He quickly thought of encouraging words.

"Don't worry, Sonic. I'm sure he'll make it, but first, we have to stand for him."

Sonic could not answer with any words, but then he was shocked to hear Knuckles speak. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but lasers will never hurt me." The echidna murmured.

"Knuckles, you're alive! Yippee!" Amy cheered with joy and gladness.

"Hey, Knuckles, how do you feel?" Sonic asked with a tear of happiness on his cheek.

"Well, I feel a little sore and tired, but it's good to be alive." Knuckles answered, weakly.

"That's so true." Shadow added and then he helped Sonic lift the echidna to stand.

Then Eggman was heard outside the room. "I let my guard down!" He fell into failure.

"Yeah, I won!" Tails was heard with a shout of victory.

Then Sonic remembered the crime fighter. "But where's Scott?" Sonic asked when he saw everyone else there, but the green hedgehog was still missing.

"I'm always around." Scotty replied from behind the crew, unharmed.

"Scott, you amaze me." Sonic said after a quiet sigh of relief.

"I know, Sonic." Scotty winked his eye and then Sonic grinned at him.

Rouge and Tikal returned with the Emerald, which was lost, but now it was found and safe. It was an incredible journey, but it was not over yet. There was still one more lost Emerald. They had to find it before the enemy will use it for evil. That is all they can do with energy and technology.

"Isn't that the truth, Narrator? But right now, we must find the last Emerald's signal. Tails!"

"Yep, I got it, Sonic!" Tails answered from his victorious Cyclone. "The signal is coming from Washington DC, and we must hurry or it will be taken!"

"All right then, DC, here we come!" Sonic ran to the RV with his crew close behind him.

= = = = =

After the RV had left the Museum, Metal Sonic was finally able to stand up after the powerful attacks the crime fighter had stricken him down with. "I hate green hedgehogs." He growled as he stood up and then Chaos came out of the building with his magnify-glass.

"There you are, Metal. I thought I should tell you that the hedgehog is not in the Museum, because the only clue I could find inside was a bubble gum wrapper." He told him.

"A bubble gum wrapper?" Metal asked, quietly but clearly very, very angry.

Proudly, Chaos nodded his head and then Metal suddenly yelled, capturing him and he locked Chaos inside a clear glass jar. "Get out of THAT, if you can!" Metal dared him.

In the meantime, our courageous and adventurous crew was well on their way.