Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Many Members Of Tails's Family ❯ Say Goodbye ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Legal Stuff:

I don't own any of the characters in this story. They are the properties of their respective owners.

Author's Notes:

I haven't written anything on this one in a really long time. I guess I need to wrap it up anyway, so here we go…

Chapter 6: Say Goodbye

The next morning, they were all greeted by a bright sun and a calm day. Everyone had gotten rest, and the morning had been a time of catching up and story telling for the fox family. Tails convinced his uncle to teach him the dash technique, and learned it after many tries. By now, it was around noon, and hunger was beginning to fill them all. After a debate, it was decided that pizza would the lunch of the day. They went out to eat, and now we join them as they travel down the sidewalk.

Scotty: So, Scruffy, you ever had a pizza before?

Scruffy: Pizza…hmm…I don't believe I remember that.

Keylo: You've never had a pizza?! I feel sorry for you!

Tails: You're in for a treat, that's for sure.

Sonic: You know what I want on mine?

Sally: What's that?

Sonic: Chopped up hot dogs, with chili spread around them!

All: <face vault>

Sonic: What?!

Scruffy: <smirks> Heh heh… You know what's real good, though, right?

Knuckles: No, but I imagine you're about to tell us.

Scruffy looked around for a moment, and then reached into a bush. He pulled out his hand, and in it were three ants. The gray fox popped them in his mouth, and with a crunch, they were gone.

All: EEEWWW!!

Tails: I think I'm gonna be sick!

Keylo: Disgusting!

Scruffy burst out laughing, ignoring their comments.

Scruffy: Ah, they're good for ya. Lots of protein.

Scotty: Ugh…Promise not to do that again…

Scruffy: Okay, fine. No more ants.

They were all still a little nauseous when they reached a restaurant called `Papa Luigi's'. Not noticing the familiar name, they entered. They were greeted by a strange-looking Italian man wearing mostly green. He had a nametag that said `Luigi Mario'. Upon seeing them, the man ducked behind the counter.

Luigi: Oh no! Not them again! Mama-mia, how do they find us?!

Sonic walked up to the counter, and rang the bell. Nervously, Luigi stood up, trying to hide his face.

Sonic: Hey, haven't I seen you somewhere before?

Luigi: <sweatdrop> Uh…No…No, I don't believe we've met…

Sonic: Oh…Whatever…

Sonic ordered the food, and some time later, several pizzas were brought to the large group. Scruffy watched the others eat, trying to determine how to hold the pizza. He was a fast learner, and quickly figured it out. The fox sniffed a slice of it.

Tails: Go ahead, it doesn't bite.

Scruffy: It just looks so…strange…

Keylo: This coming from someone who eats ants.

Scruffy took a bite, tasting the variety of ingredients for the first time. After a brief moment, his face lit up, and shoved the entire slice, crust and all, into his mouth.

Scotty: Hey, Mikey likes it!

Scruffy chewed it up, and swallowed.

Scruffy: Well, that's pretty good.

They ate what they ordered, ordered another group of pizzas, and ate them, too. It was the afternoon by the time they finished, and they got up to leave. Several of them pitched in to pay the large bill, and the group left. Several seconds after they were gone, Luigi grabbed his brother Mario's hands and danced around in a circle.

Luigi: Woo hoo! We did it! We did it!

Mario: What are you talking about?

Luigi: We served them without getting the restaurant destroyed!

Mario: Hmm…I guess that is an accomplishment.

They celebrated their once-in-a-lifetime triumph over bad luck, and accidentally hit the oven switch. Flammable gas filled the building, and then it came into contact with a fire on an oven in the back of the restaurant. The place went up in an enormous fireball, hurling pieces everywhere. Two certain, roasted Italian plumbers went sky-high, straight up.

Mario: WWOOOAAAAHHHHHOOOOWWW!!!

Luigi: MY BEAUTIFUL RESTAURAAAAAAANNNNTTT!!!

They disappeared in the sky with a twinkle as an unnoticing Sonic crew made their way to the base. They arrived, happy and full of pizza.

Sonic: I have to admit, that was pretty great.

Tails: Yeah, I really enjoyed it. What about you, Uncle Scruffy?

There was a long pause as everyone turned to see the gray fox leaning against a wall, looking at the ground. The air was filled with uncertainty all of a sudden.

Tails: Well?

Scruffy: …We'll have to it again next time…

Tails: Next time?

Scruffy: I'm sorry, kid, but city life just isn't for me.

Keylo: You don't mean-

Scruffy: Yup. It's time I left.

Tails: Uncle Scruffy, no! Please, you just got here!

Scruffy: I grew up in the wild. I can't live like this.

Keylo: …<sigh> I understand. It's really too bad.

Sonic: Hold on, are you sure about this?

Scotty: You're very welcome to stay here if you want.

Scruffy: Sorry…It's not my way.

Scruffy turned to leave, walking toward the door. The others ran up behind him.

Tails: Will we ever see you again?

Scruffy stopped, and turned his head slightly to look back at Tails.

Scruffy: Maybe…Maybe not. Only time will tell.

Keylo: I'm going with you!

All: What?!

Scruffy: No can do, kid. I can't risk your safety.

Keylo: The lives these people lead aren't for me, either.

Scruffy turned, and knelt down to her.

Scruffy: Look, I know what it's like to miss someone, believe me. But you can't come. It's too dangerous.

Keylo: Why?

Scruffy: Isn't it obvious? You need a lot of survival skills where I'm going, and you just don't have `em.

Keylo: I can learn. And who better to teach me than Mr. Survival himself?

Scruffy: If you want to learn, take a class.

Keylo: But I can't learn everything from a class! Not in the city.

Scruffy stood up, rubbing his forehead.

Scruffy: You're giving me a headache, kid.

Keylo: Sorry…

Scruffy: Lesson one: Never apologize.

Keylo: Huh?

Scruffy: You want to learn the hard way? Fine. But it won't be easy.

Keylo: You mean it? I can come?

Scruffy: <sigh> Yes, yes, whatever. Just don't be annoying.

Tails: Hold on! Are either of you ever coming back?

Scruffy: When she's tough enough to kill her breakfast, and eat it without dying, then I'll bring her back.

Tails: <scratches head> Um…Okay…

Scruffy: Relax, it shouldn't take more than a year.

Keylo: I promise to do my best!

Tails ran up to his sister, and hugged her.

Tails: Be careful, sis.

Keylo: You, too, bro.

Both: Try not to get yourself killed…

Tails jumped up and gave a hug to his surprised uncle, who reluctantly returned it. They separated again, and Scruffy turned to leave.

Scruffy: Come on, kid, we got a lotta work to do.

They walked out the door, and the others followed, waving and shouting their goodbyes. Scruffy and Keylo waved back, and continued walking.

Scruffy: You ever used a gun?

Keylo: No, not at all.

Scruffy: Here comes that headache again…

Their conversation could be heard fading into the distance as everyone but Tails went inside. The fox stood there, holding his hand up, in a motionless wave. A single tear was blinked away, and he sniffled.

Tails: Goodbye, you two…and good luck.

Tails watched them until after he could see them no longer. The sun was setting by the time Sonic came to help him back inside. Scruffy took Keylo to a thick forest far away, and taught her every survival and hunting trick he knew. Some things were easier than others, for example, she simply refused to eat anything that was still alive. But, she learned how anyway, hoping she'd never need the knowledge. Keylo became quite skilled with the laser pistol, but was almost ashamed of the fact. Violence simply wasn't her style, but she did toughen up after several hunting trips. Still, deep inside, she was still a kind, caring fox. Tails eventually overcame the sadness, but never forgot his relatives. They all hoped to see each other again, someday, when the time was right…

THE END

I want to thank Scotty CF for once again letting me use her characters; this story wouldn't have been the same without them. Will I ever use Scruffy and Keylo again? Well, like Scruffy said, maybe…maybe not. Only time will tell.

Please review!