Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Vacant Heaven ❯ SHARDS ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

:: V A C A N T H E A V E N ::



Author's Notes:
Howdy y'all. *waves* Just liked to say a few things. Firstly, this is my first real Sonic fanfiction. It's an AU, but is based on and also combines much of the plot gap between Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and Sonic Heroes. It does contain mild romance in later chapters. So blah. But anyway--yeah. AU so no one get mad at me. ^^() Hopefully I'll be able to get up more soon. If not, well…eheh I'm gonna try. *sweatdrops* I'm such a slacker… Enjoy the vague prologue of dooooooom-muh! *waves hands all spiffily around*

-KASH






Connecting... Connecting... Data load successful


Prologue v2.4

:: S H A R D S ::








Time.

Time to him was nothing. Time had betrayed him, and then again, had been his closest ally.

But now, time was neither.

Time was almost at a standstill, as he distantly watched with dull red eyes as he was thrown backwards, sinking downward toward the spinning blue planet miles and miles below him. He watched as his newly converted comrade--that faker--turned with a horrified expression on his face, his once forest green eyes now amber and alight with fright. He watched as his lips parted, and, even through the dead of space, hear his own name be called out to him.

"SHADOOOW!!"

It was strange... strange how after all that the both of them had been to each other--heated rivals and bitter enemies--that in the end, they would team together to stop his own creator's twisted plot of destruction...that after everything, it would come...to this.

His alter-ego hedgehog reared around and sped his way toward him, and he watched as his rival desperately reached out his gloved hand for him. "SHADOW! GRAB MY HAND!"

No...he wouldn't...he couldn't... Not after everything that'd happened. It was...better this way...

Finally, his rival pulled back, rearing back away from the heat of the atmosphere, and for a brief moment stopped to stare right back into his own crimson eyes; then he fleetingly charged back up toward the space colony.

Yes...this is the way it had to be. For every last bit of Dr. Robotnik's handiwork to be gone from this world...forever.

'Maria...this is what you wanted, right? This is the promise I made to you...'


He closed his red eyes, and time came forcefully back to him as he was tossed into the fiery atmosphere.

=============================================================== =

A ping.

The first feeling of awareness, fluttering into her mind, her consciousness. This was a new sensation to her. What was this? She numbly contemplated on the occurrence, but after a moment dismissed it, trying to allow herself to drift back into her lifeless sleep.

Another ping, this one much stronger than the first, or perhaps simply because she was more aware. It sent a little jolt up her spine, a spark, a flare into her senses. This too, was new to her. But after a moment, she dismissed it again as well, and again attempted to drift silently back into her blackness.

There was a strange shift in the environment around her--what is this? It ruffled through her fur, and it sent another tingling feeling up her spine, though not like before. It was more like a chill.

Slowly, rhythmically, her surroundings began to...sink. She felt herself slowly begin to fall as the weightless world around her drained away. Her feet touched a hard, grinding surface. She felt her world slipping over her pawed-feet and whirl down around them, below this strange surface below her.

Another ping, and then suddenly--light!

Bubbles quickly erupted out of her mouth, taken aback by this new sensation. After a brief moment it came to her, this strange new ability--sight. She was seeing for the first time.

The last of the green bubbles died away with her world--her life-sustaining liquid around her--and it all slipped quickly down the billowing drain beneath her feet.

She was standing, not even aware of it. What was awareness, anyhow? What was anything? All of this? ….Where was this?

A shudder around her, and then a loud hiss came to her sensitive ears. The green around her clouded over with white puffs, but it didn't phase her. What was the purpose of this?

Before she became aware, she had lost her balance, and had fallen forward. This experience of falling…it was brief. Soon a great force knocked into her chest, causing a heave of green liquid to splutter out of her throat and to the black surface she was now limply sprawled out upon.

"Ahh, crap! Pick it up! It's still weak--we can't let this one die off, not after all that hard work!!"

….This one….Who is this one….?

"All right, all right! Sheez, Shima! Keep your darn shirt on!"

Those noises….voices…whose voices?

"What the crap are you talking about me keeping my shirt on, Iwamoto you bum! You know how important it--"

"She."

…She?

"Don't correct me! Just get it and clean it up and get it stable before both our butts are fried! It wasn't supposed to be operational until next week!"

"Do you just like to listen to yourself whine, Shima? I'm aware of everything, all right? She became unstable and her heart stopped. We shocked her to get a pulse, but it woke her up ahead of schedule, and of course she couldn't maintain a stable condition in that tank if she were conscious…so we had to let her out. And--she fell onto the floor as soon as the glass went up. I know--I work here too."

"…I do not like to listen to myself speak, jerk! Just hurry up! We can't screw this up!"

She allowed the light to flood her senses again, though it was much dimmer now than it was only a moment--or was it an eternity? It certainly felt like it--ago. Her new world, her surroundings, it was cold and solid and heavy. She missed that weightless feeling. Where did it go? Where was she now?

A blur of white in front of her, and then a warm touch on her cheek.

"Well, she feels pretty warm. Means her blood's flowing well, so her heart must be back up to a better pace…"

The blur in front of her began to focus into a form. A man, in a white coat. He was a young one. Ebony, feathery, yet at the same time shaggy hair, which fluffed around his ears. A pair of thick black-framed glasses that held together on the nose-piece by an old piece of tape, which were in front of a pair of light brown, almost mischievous pair of eyes.

"…Nn..?" She lifted her head slightly, and blinked lazily up at him.

"Easy does it now," he said, and a soft smile swept onto his face. He draped a soft piece of material over her, a towel, and scooped her up into arms.

It was warm…his presence was warm. It felt nice…nice to be held in his arms. To feel this strangely comforting warmth from him. She kept her hooded eyes on his face, which still held that boyish smile.

"Welcome to life, Project 216009."

"216...00...9..." His face clouded over, and everything around her new world went numb, and black.

=============================================================== =


Receiving incoming data from server Please wait for load

Connecting... Connecting...


ERROR

Connection Terminated