Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Winter of Snowy Discord ❯ Winter of Snowy Discord-Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
for the second chapter of the crossover! For those who didn’t know, this is the crossover between my OC, the cold-hearted Raze, TheRealScootTH’s OC, the jovial Scoot and j320’s OC, the virtuous Silk. Obviously, dear old Raze didn’t exactly get along with his new acquaintances, hehe…

------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------

Chapter Two: Foxbane

---------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

Raze awoke early. The snowflakes had only just began to sprinkle down from the sky. He yawned, his fur ruffled and tangled from sleeping on the floor. He sat up, taking a moment to let his senses adjust to his waking state. Even though he hadn’t slept well, he was still a little groggy. He had a strong temptation to scratch his eye, but resisted. He didn’t really need to open the scars this early in the morning. He got up, and walked out of the tree, scenting the air as he went, enjoying the wave of cold that was washing over him. Looking up into the branches of the trees, he spotted the two swords, covered in snow, sticking out of the tree into which he’d thrown them. Casually, he kicked the tree, dislodging the swords in an avalanche of white frost. He let the frost hit him, dodging the Accelados and grabbing his own sword. He retracted the blade with his mind- it made the same “shk” sound as his claws. He placed the handle back in the pockets of his jeans. Looking up, he could easily predict that soon, snow would be falling faster than a piano out of a window. A perfect time to leave. He didn’t want to be tracked, and he was certainly popular lately. Grabbing his cloak from his tree, he fastened it around his neck, hauling the hood back up over his ears. Then, hastening his strides, he made to leave. The blue fox walked past the hollow now occupied by those two annoying hedgehogs- the loud, overconfident one with the burgundy spines, and the even louder, self-righteous white one. He spat at the ground in disgust.
“Tch. I hate hedgehogs, especially when they’re idiots. I bet those two can’t even manage to feed themselves. Their very lives are jokes.” Raze snorted. Then, he stopped for a second, contemplating what he’d just said.
“Dammit. I really should stop talking to myself. After all, I’m the only person I’ll listen to.” Raze grunted, turning back.

Scoot grunted and turned over. He’d never really been a morning person, and he really did feel terrible. Making a supreme effort, he sat up, and rubbed his eyes. It was a treat to wake up next to Silk. He looked at the white-spined hedgehog, tracing her gentle features with his eyes. Although she didn’t like to admit, she liked to be looked after. He white-and-black ponytail had fallen in graceful curls down her back. Scoot liked it like that, but Silk didn’t, and tied it in a ponytail every time she got up in the morning. Scoot rubbed his head, feeling a rather large bump there. Scoot remembered the fox- a blue swine, if ever he saw one. Oh well. Silk, hearing an absence of Scootish snoring, woke up to find Scoot looking at her. She sat up slowly, and yawned. Then, quick as a flash, she pecked Scoot on the nose. Startled, Scoot fell backwards, his head leaving the tree. He looked up, and staring down at him were two eyes that seemed to be chiselled out of ice. Raze snorted. Scoot glared.
“Huh…Scootykins, what’s going on?” Silk asked, popping her head out of the hollow. Raze looked at her with a look of pure, unadulterated disgust, and Silk readied herself for an argument. Raze stepped back, and both Silk and Scoot climbed out of the tree, careful of any sudden movements from the fox. When they were out, Raze addressed them.
“Here’s your rusty stick, Tiny.” Raze said, casually tossing it at Scoot. Scoot caught it, fortunately by the handle, and placed it back into his sash. Raze leaned on the tree with one hand, and said casually, “Have you got anything to eat?”
“Not for you”, Scot retorted. “I don’t share food with scum.”
“And not for you either, I’ll bet. I have my own food supply, and when it runs out, I hunt. I don’t have sharp teeth and claws to trim hedges, you know.” Raze smiled darkly.
“What we do and don’t have is none of your business!” Silk shouted heatedly.
“Simmer down Princess, else I might not feel as generous as I did five minutes ago.” Raze smiled.
“Generous?” Scoot asked, suspicious.
“Yup. Generous. I was going to tell you how to find food, and give you enough to get you out of this forest, but if the broad can’t keep a lid on it, I may as well not waste my breath.” Raze smirked.
Silk forced herself not to smash Raze in the face for calling her Princess, and bit her lip. Scoot touched her arm, gently. Silk felt the comfort from the gesture, and kept her temper.
“Well? Are you going to tell us or not?” Scoot asked, his tone level.
In answer, Raze stalked over to his tree. Raze had a powerful way of moving, full of purpose and definite. Raze always had the look of someone who knows where they’re going. Raze stooped down, examining the orangey, frozen substance on the ground. It had come rushing out of the tree the night before. Scoot and Silk followed him, stopping a while behind him. Raze turned and looked at them.
“Smash it.” he said, moving to one side. Scoot glared at the fox, them got to work, crashing the Accelados against the icy material hard. Raze looked on, looking at the way Scoot swung his sword critically. Silk smiled, and saw her chance to take a sneak peek into the blue fox’s mind. She closed her eyes, and concentrated.

Silk floated in the realm of Raze’s mind, taking in her surroundings. Every mind was completely different, and had to be read in a particular way. It was a fine science for Silk, and she enjoyed the new challenge a new mind brought to her. Looking around, she found herself in a tunnel. There were stalactites, hewn in the rock of Raze’s psyche, as big as Silk. The tunnel was like a huge oval, and she floated in the middle. Slowly, cautiously, she began to move forwards. She heard and echo of a far off noise, and realised that it must have came from wherever the activity was in Raze’s mind. After all, where she was, it was pretty much a dead spot. She moved faster, aware of a strange sensation she hadn’t felt before. It was indescribable and intangible It was almost as if as she were being pushed by an invisible wall of…well, jelly. She pushed a little harder, to see if this invisible wall could be broken. Nothing gave way, but then again, nothing was really stopping her. She was still moving forwards at quite a pace. After about five seconds, there was a small change in the sensation. It was stronger now, like trying to push a wall of mud. It was almost engulfing. She almost panicked as he saw herself start to descend, and realised that whatever it was must have been pushing her downwards as well. She struggled on, fighting to maintain altitude and speed, the sensation growing in strength. She heard the echoes clearer now. They were tantalisingly close. She looked ahead, and saw a great, shining light at the end of the tunnel. It wasn’t just a metaphor, either. As she pushed on towards the wall of light, anxiously fought harder and harder, trying desperately to get there before her strength faded. She drove harder and harder, until-
Ping. Less than 100 metres from her goal, the wall intensified so suddenly she had hit it and rebounded, like a fly hitting a window. Then, without warning, her frame collapsed to the ground. She couldn’t move. The invisible force was pressing down on her so hard, her legs were rooted to the floor, her body buckled over. Grudgingly, she escaped from the fox’s mind.

“Come on, Tiny. It’s a sword, not a pencil. You need to get more power into your swing.” Raze shouted.
“Shut up! I already did half of it!” Scoot shouted back angrily.
“Well maybe if you knew how to actually swing a sword, you might have done all of it!” Raze retorted.
Scoot took one, monumental overhead swing and shattered the rest. He panted, then turned around.
“You got a problem with the way I use a sword?” Scoot challenged.
Raze looked down at Scoot. The tip of Scoot’s tallest spine reached up past Razes ears, but Raze’s face was higher.
“Yeah. Who taught you how to use a sword?” Raze asked, a gravely undertone in his voice.
“I did.” Scoot said in a low voice.
“Well, that explains a lot.” Raze growled back. The two stood there, staring each other down, until Silk interrupted.
“Hey. How do we eat this stuff?” she asked the fox.
In answer, Raze picked up a largish chunk and popped it into his mouth. Silk did likewise. It was like an ice lolly, except it tasted of sweet honey.
“Why are you telling us all of this?” Scoot asked suspiciously.
“Believe me, I tried not to.” Raze said, turning to walk away.
“Where the hell are you going?” Silk asked, her hands on her hips.
“Well, I really can’t stand you two. I figured that if I didn’t tell you how to find food, you might starve. And the last thing I need is a trail of dead people behind me. So, I’m leaving now.” Raze said aloofly.
“Hmm. There’s just one thing I need to ask you first.” Silk smirked, walking over to her tree. Raze and Scoot followed her. She pointed to the place where Raze had leant against the tree earlier.
“Are those yours?” Silk asked loftily, showing them the spots of blood left on the tree. Raze looked at his hand, and saw a large cut running through it. It had gone through the gauntlet and into his hand. He recognised it as the hand he had caught Scoot’s sword with yesterday.
“Hmm. Guess I do know how to swing a sword, huh?” Scoot smirked.
Raze took off the gauntlet, and pulled a strip of leather from his pocket. He bound his wound with amazing speed and precision.
“Hah. Big old fox has nothing to say because we all know he’s not so tough.” Silk said in a sing-song voice. In response, Raze lifted an eyebrow and pointed to one of the trees, where there was a large, Scoot sized dent. And with that, he walked off.
“Hey! Where do you think you’re going?” Scoot asked, striding after him.
Silk sighed, and followed, contemplating what in the name of hell was going on in the fox’s mind.

“Leave me alone, Tiny. I only came back to tell you how to not starve. I’ve done that, and I, unlike you, am not a jobless bum who’s just sitting around with nothing better to do. So, I have things to do, and places to be. Do you understand?” Raze asked, giving the distinct impression he was talking to a retard.
“You’re just sore ‘cause I made you bleed!” Scoot retorted.
“Firstly, I’ve had my chest cut open, my eyes gouged, my arms broken, my legs snapped, my face beaten to a pulp and my life endangered through my line of work, so a little blood doesn’t bother me. And secondly, unless you’d like to go through all that too, you’ll leave me the hell alone.” Raze spoke back roughly.
“Hmph. You couldn’t do any of that last night. What makes you think you can do it now?” Silk asked, her voice high with tension.
Raze turned, and Scoot practically ran into him. Raze started to growl, in the lowest, most menacing way possible. He radiated malice and aggression, and, just for a second, Silk thought she saw a burning flash of pain go through his eyes.
“And what makes you think that you know even the slightest fraction of my power?” Raze growled, his form suddenly seeming dark, dangerous and destructive.
“Hah. A fool who doesn’t know his own limitations? What kind of power could someone like you have?” Silk asked, her own fury starting to blaze within her.
“More than you can imagine, and stronger than you can comprehend.”
“You can’t describe it because it doesn’t exist. You can’t deal with the fact that you can’t change reality. So you make up imaginary powers that let you change it. Face it. You can’t do anything.”
Those last four words rang in Raze’s ears. You can’t do anything. That was wrong. He couldn’t do anything. Not for his parents. Not for Ai’s parents. Not for Ivory or Eleanor. He couldn’t do anything for them. But he could now. And right now, he could rid the world of these annoying pests. Destroy them, obliterate them, then forget they ever existed. The voice inside his head whispered seductively of death, of murder, of destruction. His mind rejoiced at the thought, an unrestrained lust for blood growing inside him. He felt it, gnawing at his gut, trying to make him do what he was trying to avoid. The voice, so sweet and seductive, gave a push, and Raze fell. He felt that power, that monstrous power, expanding. Filling him up with rage and hate and pain. He felt the beginning of the change in him. His long, dangerous claws unsheathed themselves silently.
“R-AAAA-AAAZE! I KNOW YOU’RE HERE!”
Raze looked back, startled. The bloodlust, the craving for destruction, left him. He came back to his senses as the voice called his name again. And again. With a jolt, he recognised the voice. He exploded into motion, his powerful legs taking him past the two hedgehogs, who were standing bewildered at the fox’s strange behaviour. He kept running.

Raze ran as fast as he could, knowing the consequences of being caught. There was no way he’d let them catch up. That blasted fox…He ducked low slung branches that were now devoid of leaves, holding shovels of snow with nothing more than the strength left in the bare twigs. He leapt over a tree trunk. If he were caught, it was certain that him and his pursuers were going to a cemetery. The difference was that Raze only intended to visit. He ran on, feeling his muscles, strengthened so much in recent months, relishing this sudden burst of activity. The fox knew that he wouldn’t need to run far- after all, his pursuers were slower than he was. But, they always seemed to know where he was going next. In the back of his mind, Raze knew he was trapped. They were always where he was going, and the only way to get them off his back was to dispose of them. A while ago, he would have destroyed them with a second thought, but now…Raze shivered, recalling that sensation of losing control. It was wrong, like an intrusion into his mind, but at the same time, comforting. It was the only thing that gave him peace- but he had to pay for it afterwards. And anyway, hadn’t he sworn against this? All those years ago? With his best friend, he had sworn to never kill without control. He had been seeking to be different. But now, he was the same as the rest of them. Everyone else in this filthy world. He hated it. Suddenly, he stopped. It was an absolute stop, without sliding. It had been trained into him. Out in front of him, there was a massive, frozen lake. Raze looked around, then walked forwards, his stride broken by his thoughts. He gazed downwards, and saw his face in the ice. And, for a moment, he felt regret.

Scoot and Silk looked in anticipation for the person that had caused Raze to flee. They were to be surprised. For a while, they heard various bumps, and the occasional shout of ‘Ouch!’. Eventually, the pursuer broke free of the trees and ran into the clearing.
“What? Jeez. That guy’s a loony, I swear.” Silk muttered, looking this ‘terrifying’ hunter up and down. It was a fox. A female fox.
The fox’s fur was violet in colour, her muzzle rose coloured, and she smelt faintly of elder flower. Her big, green eyes looked around for her quarry. Her face was young and innocent. Silk liked her immediately. She seemed to be the type who was always smiling. She wore a teal halter top, tied around her neck, and a pair of long yet tight brown leather shorts. She spotted Silk and Scoot, and ran towards them. It was the run of a little girl- committed, without any heed of how it might look or what other people might think.
“Hello! Have you seen a fox around here? Big, aggressive, blue, big teeth, big claws, ‘all the better to eat you with’ kinda guy?” she asked, her voice full of laughter and good times.
“Hmm. We might have seen someTHING like that, but not someone. Why?” Scoot asked, rubbing his head.
“Oh, I’ve gotta catch up to him soon. Special mission and all that. Hey, uh, you smell sweet.” the fox remarked, her nose twitching. “Do you have food?”
“Uh…” Scoot muttered.
“Well? Do you? Do you do you do you?” the violet fox asked, laughing. Her golden earrings, huge hoops attached to her ears, shimmered as she spoke.
“Yeah, I suppose we do. Why, do you want some?” Silk asked, taking charge.
“Oh, I don’t know. Yes?” the fox laughed, her fluffy tail, batting around behind her.
“What are you going to give us in return for our food? After all, we’re short ourselves.” Silk asked.
“Well, I can’t give you anything physical…Wait, I know!” the girl exclaimed.
“What?” Scoot asked, starting to doubt the girl’s credibility.
“I can give you…the future!” the girl said dramatically, wiggling her eyebrows.
For a moment, Scoot and Silk looked at the girl and wondered if Tails was the only truly sane fox that existed.
“You see”, the girl carried on, seemingly oblivious to the aura of disbelief being projected by the two hedgehogs, “I come from a travelling family. I can read the mystic Tarot cards passed down by my ancestors. I can do other stuff too, but I’ll pay you with a Tarot reading.”
“Hey, Scoot. Didn’t Amy read Tarot cards at one point?” Silk whispered into Scoot’s ear.
“The difference is I can read them properly. Oh, and don’t bother whispering. I have excellent hearing.” the fox sniffed.
“Okay. It’s a deal. Our food for some Tarot readings.” Silk agreed.

“O-kay, so that’s set up like that, and this goes here…” the fox said, whizzing around setting candles here and there. She had a large chunk of amber in her hand, which she wrapped in a handkerchief soon after she had put the candles down. She then sat down on the snowy floor with a wince, inviting Scoot and Silk to do the same. Silk sat down delicately, whilst Scoot sat with a flump.
“Ok, so, who do you wanna reading for?” the fox asked, her eyes twinkling.
“Do her first!” Scoot laughed, trying to get comfy despite his cold buttocks.
The fox responded by shuffling the cards. She did so at amazing speed, her hands a blur of movement. Every so often, she rotated a card around, and put it in somewhere else. Silk noticed she never looked at the cards whilst she did this. Eventually, the fox stopped shuffling, and drew the card at the top, then another and another. She lay them in a row, face down.
“Okay. Let’s reveal a little about you.” The fox winked, overturning the first card.
“Hmm. The card of Strength. In the past, your courage has defeated adversity and hatred.” the purple fox said, looking at the card. It depicted a woman holding a lion’s mouth open with her bare hands.
“Right. Now, the card of the present.” the fox said, turning the middle card over.
“The Ace of Cups. You’re currently in love, and all affairs of the heart will prosper.” the fox said.
“Right. Time for the card of the future!” the fox said, wiggling her eyebrows once again.
“And…the Ten of Cups! This is auspicious. Although the future is never certain, if you stay true to the path you are on, you will achieve true contentment.”
Silk looked a Scoot, and squeezed his hand. He understood.
“I take it that the young gentleman wants a reading next?” the fox laughed, her earrings shimmering again.
“Yes. I’d like to know what your cards make of my Scoot.” Silk replied.
“Okay. Time for another shuffle!” the fox said in a squee-ey voice.
Scoot groaned.

Unbeknownst to all, another face was watching the reading. Undetectable by nose or ear, the figure watched from the trees, listening with great interest.

“Okay. So, here are your three cards.” the fox said, laying the first, second and third cards as she had before.
“For your past you have…the Five of Cups. You’ve experienced the sorrow of losing a friend or a family member in an argument. You felt worthless at the time, as if the blame were yours, but you’ve since moved on.” the fox stated.
“In the present…the Three of Wands reversed. Pride and arrogance, you refuse to accept the truth. Your own overestimation of your power has recently cost you. However, now you know your limits, you can break them.”
“Now, for the card of the future…Ah! The Ace of Swords! Keep true to your path, and nothing will stand in your way. The suit of Swords always indicate that there are battles to be fought, but you will succeed.”
Scoot scratched his head. Battles to be fought? When? He was about to ask, but the girl was already reshuffling her cards.
“Sorry, but I have a reading I want to do.” she aid simply, quickly reversing a card.
“For whom?” Silk asked.
“Who else? Raze the fox!” the fox laughed, as if there had been no other choice. Silk grinned. This girl was dotty, but she liked her.

The figure in the trees perked up. This could be interesting. It moved a little closer with unparalleled stealth. It could hear every word said now. It waited.

“Riiiiight. So, since I can read cards quick, I’ll just turn them over all at once.” the fox muttered under her breath.
“Okay, so…What? This…this is bad…very, very bad….” the fox said, her brow creased as she looked the cards.
“The Nine of Swords, the Five of Swords reversed, and then the Ten of Swords…This is one of the worst readings I’ve ever done. Oh, what to do, what to do…” the fox mumbled, biting her lip.
“What’s wrong? What do the cards say?” Silk asked. She hadn’t been able to read the fox’s mind, but maybe she could glean some information from this.
“The Nine of Swords. Cruelty. Self punishment, guilt, anxiety and being the victim of spite and slander. His past is a dark one.” the fox shivered.
“And then?” Silk asked, soaking the information in.
“The Five of Swords reversed. He refuses to give in, even after suffering defeat. Stubbornness and pride guide his actions. He may have attended a funeral recently.” the fox whispered.
“Hmm. Still, I don’t see why…” Scoot began.
“This is so bad?”, the fox finished. “It’s because you don’t know what the last card means.”
“What does it mean then?” Silk asked.
“The Ten of Swords. Ruin. The path he is on will be his own demise…” the fox mouthed.
Silk looked at her for a moment as the fox collected herself.
“But, there’s more. All the cards are in the suit of Swords. His entire life, from its start to the point the has reached now, has been fraught with battles. And, unless I can do something, battles are all his life will ever be.” the fox said, packing her cards away and standing up.
Silk and Scoot followed suit. Silk didn’t really care for Raze’s attitude, but she hoped for the girl’s sake that she could save him.
“Are you going to tell us your name?” Silk asked.
“Azumi. Sorry I forgot, but, I have to go. Right now. For all I know, Raze’s path to ruin could be starting now. I need to catch up to him.” the violet fox said, moving to leave.
“Good luck.” Scoot called after her.
“I don’t need luck. I have destiny.” she called back.
They watched her leave. A question burned inside of Scoot.
“What are we gonna do?” he asked Silk, already half knowing the answer.
“We’re gonna follow her, and help her out. I don’t like Raze, but I like her.” Silk retorted, her noble nature shining through.
“Oh, and one more thing. Why didn’t you use your psychic powers yesterday? I really could have used the help.” Scoot asked, trying hard to make it sound like he wasn’t blaming her.
“His mind is…different. With that sword, the difference is dangerous. I don’t think it’s a good idea to let him know about my abilities. Not yet.” Silk murmured.
“Well…Shall we go?” Scoot asked, taking her hand.
“Let’s.”

Raze had been standing there for a while, just looking at his reflection. His emotions swirled inside him. What was he doing? He had lost his way. And all for the seductive, murderous voice in his head. He knew where it came from. And he knew what it could do. But he didn’t know how to get rid of it. The things he’d done, because of that voice. A voice that hadn’t been there when he left Station Square. That was it. He’d go back to Station Square. Maybe he could find his answers there. He trudged off through the snow, feeling a chill that had nothing to do with the rising wind.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------

Hey. Sorry about the INCREDIBLY long wait between updates. But, now, I’m gonna pay you back by updating in an INCREDIBLY big way! Be prepared! Very prepared!