Sonic X Fan Fiction / Sonic Series Fan Fiction ❯ Loving You: Part 1 ❯ AleenaxBernie ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A whole collection of one-shot stories, for all Sonic couples, alphabetically ordered, including yaoi, yuri and completely random pairings likely to never happen! Fan character pairings and crossover pairings not accepted, and neither are flames/insults. Some pairings are random and different; this is a warning.
This couple is Aleena (Sonic's SU mother) and Bernie (Sonic's Archie mother). Set in the SU universe, Bernie follows Aleena as she gives up her children.
 
Dead of the Night
 
A dark night, coated in fog, with no noise to be heard for miles. A night normally confused for a peaceful one, like the ones the village had when their rightful ruler sat on the throne. But now she no longer sat there, the night was fraught with fear and pain. The residents remained too fearful to wander the streets and remained in their homes. Nobody was out on the streets, not even the tiny spiders that crawled across the ground.
 
Scratch that.
 
Somebody was on the streets.
 
Clothed in a large deep purple cloak, which seemed very large and baggy, almost as if the creature within was very fat, yet it moved swiftly, up and down the streets, its eyes gazing around in an alert manner.
 
A pair of gleaming green eyes followed the figure as it wandered down the streets. Confused, the person who owned those eyes wondered who would want to wander the streets at such dangerous times.
 
The owner of the gleaming, beautiful green eyes was a tall, slim lilac hedgehog, her quills curved downwards behind her head and her eyes were slightly hidden by a sleek blonde fringe, though they didn't totally obscure the beauty of her forest green eyes and rosy complexion.
 
“What could that person be doing?” The woman asked herself, her pink lips cracked and worn, as though winter had come early, “Where could that person be going?”
 
Curiosity coating her, the young woman found herself edging towards the door, her hands coated in sweat. Wrapping her coat around her skinny form, the lilac hedgehog took in a breath, and looked at the picture she had settled on the side, featuring her being cuddled by a young blue hedgehog with a brown fringe. A frown crossed her face as she remembered how it used to be, before she found her way to this village and pain wormed its way into her heart.
 
“Jules…” the woman whispered, her gloved hand stroking the picture. Every time she walked out the door, she seemed to think of the one who caused her heartbreak, and how she could have possibly stopped it.
 
The hedgehog shook her furry head, forcing the tears back, “I can't cry… it's over… what's done is done…”
 
Straightening up, the woman headed to the door, her hand on the knob. Sighing softly to herself, pushing all thoughts about the male named Jules out of her head, she pushed open the door and silently made her way into the dead of the night.
 
XXX
 
The cloaked figure moved silently, edging itself on. It couldn't allow itself to be seen. Clutching the cloak around itself tighter, it pressed on. The first location was near from here. Edging on, the cloaked figure's head was filled with painful thoughts.
 
`Why did it have to be this way?' it thought to itself, tears stinging it's dark, shaded eyes.
 
The form finally halted in its path, sighing and sobbing softly. Walking over to a nearby house with posh lanterns and beautiful roses, the figure fell to its knees.
 
`This is it,' the figure thought to itself, `Time to say goodbye.'
 
XXX
 
The lilac hedgehog softly treaded ground as she walked down the deserted village road, nervous of whatever could jump out at her. She found herself questioning constantly why she was doing this. The cloaked form had probably left the village by now, if it knew what was good enough for him or her.
 
The female almost jumped out of her skin upon the sight of that same cloaked form, leaning over a doorstep of a posh house which held blooming roses at the sides, and several exotic plants. She raised her eyebrow in confusion as the cloaked person bent down and remained there for a few moments, before getting to its feet, gazing down at the doorstep now containing a basket, and disappearing again into the dead of night.
 
Confused, the woman approached the doorstep, every step she took forced more adrenalin through her body, causing her heart to beat faster and louder than ever before. Anything could be resting in that bundle of blankets, and the mere thought of it being something hideous or evil sent chills down the young woman's spine. The bundle got nearer and nearer, and her heart beat faster and faster.
 
A baby?
 
Yes, lying in that bundle was a very small magenta hedgehog baby, looking up at her with innocent shining sapphire blue eyes. Amazed, the woman gently reached out a trembling hand, allowing it to caress the baby's furry pink head. How could anyone wish to leave their child here, in this village overtaken by what she saw as true evil? The woman was tempted to pick the child up, to run after the cloaked figure, but a loud creak was heard by the door the child was left in front of, meaning Bernadette had to flee.
 
Hidden, the lilac hedgehog watched as a chubby, yet graceful elderly meerkat answered the door, her narrow, hawk-like eyes scouring the streets, before widening at the sight of the baby girl hedgehog left on her doorstep. Bernadette watched the woman bend down, take out a note from the basket, and read it quickly. Sighing, the lady took the basket with the child in it inside.
 
Bernadette blinked, no doubt confused at what had just happened. A child, unknown to that woman, was taken into her home. She knew that the answers would not be found sitting around and staring. Taking a deep breath, Bernadette continued after the cloaked figure.
 
XXX
 
It was a very long while before the lilac hedgehog could stop. She bent down in a grass field, clutching her chest and breathing for dear life. She was left awfully fatigued by this small journey. She made a mental note never to walk this far again. But then, as always, something caught the curious Bernadette's eyes. The cloaked figure, running off from what looked like a farm housing all kinds of strange creatures. On the doorstep, was another basket?
 
“This is getting weird.” Bernadette mumbled to herself. She approached the basket, a little more confidently than the other one, and gazed inside. Sure enough, there lay another baby, this time male with blue fur, peach arms and belly and large emerald green eyes. The baby giggled, stuffing a tiny fist into his small, drooling mouth, clearly unaware of what was happening. Bernadette noticed that unlike the other baby, this one had no fringe, though the quill shape remained the same… and the fact that there was something very familiar about him…
 
The female hit reality again as she noticed that the light inside the house had switched on. Darting around a corner, Bernadette watched the scene similar to the one outside that meerkat's house; an old farmer, chubby and looked very terrifying poked his round head around the door. His eyes widened at the sight of the baby, before he too, read a note and took it into his house.
 
Deciding to continue after the cloaked form, Bernadette took off again. She allowed the wind to whip at her skin as she ran faster than she had ever run before. She had to find out what was going on here and more importantly, why did that little baby boy look like someone she didn't really want to think about?
 
Great, she had Jules on the brain again.
 
XXX
 
Tearing through whatever undergrowth existed, Bernadette almost collapsed in exhaustion. She knew that she must be miles away from her village, for she had never been here before. An industrial city, with cold gravel floors, and a million times closer to where Robotnik kept his base. The woman had never in her life entered a city before, so she found the site naturally strange.
 
Pollution ruled over everything here; sewer rats darted along the floor, their teeth shining a pale yellow, their small noses twitching in anticipation, their eyes landing on Bernadette and eying her hungrily, causing the young woman to scuttle along, trying not to look at them desperately. The air stank of fumes and whatever other sickening smells that could be linked to pollution. The poor hedgehog had to quickly whip her sweaty gloved right hand to her nose, holding it for all it was worth.
 
She continued on, and fought to see through the darkness. The air was fogged with smoke and steam, and it was terribly hard to see. The streets were empty, though not far away the cloaked figure scurried down the cracked concrete path. Bernadette found herself wondering why she was chasing this person; she could have remained at her little house in the village. She reckoned that it might not have been as dangerous there as it was here. She had only just realized that this was the city Robotnik ruled. It stank of him, so it wasn't so hard to tell.
 
Bernadette slowed down, eventually halting. The figure had bent down again, leaning over a third basket. The lilac hedgehog frowned; she could definitely hear that person say something… she edged a little closer, and managed to catch a soft female voice whispering a hurried goodbye into the basket. Time passed fast. In a matter of minutes, the figure was once again gone.
 
The lilac hedgehog took a deep, shuddering breath, and had made her mind up to edge a little closer to the basket. She was more than sure it contained another little baby. She peeked over the top, where a small green male hedgehog slept peacefully, sucking on his thumb with a sweet smile on his face. Bernadette smiled, running a finger along the silky emerald fur, as the baby yawned, his hands clenching into tiny fists before he went back to his ordinary position.

Bernadette almost knew that the person would be out of the door to take the baby soon, so saw the sense to back away. She stood behind the nearest building, watching the basket from a distance, thinking of the child sleeping inside. She felt a pang in her heart when she realized that she may never have children herself. She felt her eyes go moist at the terrible thought, but instantly, something happened that made the young woman snap back into focus.
 
A tall, filthy rat-like Mobian moved along like the stealthiest animal possible. Bernadette's breathing nearly halted as the rat paused in front of the baby's basket; its large yellow eyes peered inside.
 
“Just go away…” Bernadette whispered hopefully, her hands nervously fiddled with her dress, “Leave him alone…”
 
It wasn't to be. A toothy grin crossed the rat's face, as its hands scooped up the basket. The hedgehog wanted to move out of the shadows and hopefully scare the horrible creature away, but everything seemed to have temporarily halted. The rat smirked, one of its fangs resting on its lip, and began to jog off.
 
At that point Bernadette had remembered how to move. She knew she had to stop that rat, “Get back here!” she yelled loudly, tears streaming from her eyes, “Get back!
 
The rat turned around and ran faster than before, its feet hitting the ground with a heavy thud with every step it took. Bernadette began to chase the rat, but there was no doubt at all that it was faster than she. It got away easily, but the hedgehog would not give up, “Stop! Bring that baby back now! Thief! Kidnapper! HELP!”
 
“Leave them,” a firm feminine voice spoke out from behind her, “Let them go.”
 
Bernadette whipped around, her heart pounding in fear that this was possibly one of Robotnik's supporters or servants. Sweat dripped down the hedgehog's face as her emerald eyes landed on the same cloaked figure from before. One step towards her. Two steps towards her. The lilac female wondered if screaming would be the best thing to do.
 
“Do not be afraid of me,” the cloaked female whispered, “I am no enemy of yours.”
 
Bernadette shivered, never knowing herself to have ever felt this frightened, “W-Who are you?”
 
The cloaked form said nothing at first, leading Bernadette to wonder if turning on her heel and screaming as loudly as possible would save her from her fear. Eventually, the female reached a slender arm up to the top of head, and pulled down her head.

Bernadette almost fainted on the spot.
 
“O-Oh my God! Y-Your majesty, I had no idea at all that it was you!”
 
XXX
 
Sitting by a pure water fountain fountain, the hedgehog gulped down as much liquid as she could. She had never tasted anything so pure and sweet, and she found herself thirsty for more and more. Smiling at her, whilst sipping at her own water, sat another lilac hedgehog, a bit taller than Bernadette, with sapphire eyes that glimmered like the deep blue sea, and a white, almost silvery, gown covering most of her fur.
 
Yet Bernadette could not think straight. Why would her majesty Queen Aleena give up her own children? Why would she wander the streets alone, instead of trying to form a way to get Robotnik off of her land? She paused from trying to quench her thirst and sighed, her hand resting on her furry chin.
 
“May I ask you what the matter is?” the queen asked, breaking Bernadette away from her confused thoughts. The lilac hedgehog looked at her own feet, finding her shoes scuffed and scratched.
 
“Those babies…” Bernadette mumbled, watching her feet intently, “Were they… yours?”
 
The hedgehog named Queen Aleena fiddled with her hands, slowly nodding her head, “Yes, they were.”
 
Bernadette felt her windpipe tighten; every breath she took seemed harder and more painful. She looked towards the queen with a distant pain in her eyes and asked in a dry tone, “Why?”
 
“It had to be done,” the queen sighed miserably, her right hand resting on her cheek.
 
“But… why? They were your children…” Bernadette argued feebly, her eyes beginning to moisturise.
 
“They are my children,” Queen Aleena corrected the other female hedgehog, “And regardless of anything, I love them. But I had to leave them.”
 
“But why did you have to leave them? Why did you leave your daughter in my village, where I would have to watch her grow up and know that her mother had left her behind?” Tears streaked down Bernadette's face; she was incapable of holding in her emotion anymore, “Why did you leave your son at that farm, where he will probably start calling them his mommy and daddy, instead of knowing the truth? Why did you let your other son be taken away by that rat, when he could be working for Robotnik? Why lead him to this city, when he could be with you?”
 
The queen had begun to cry as well; tears slowly slid down her face and her sapphire eyes seemed full of emotion and secrets, “Its destiny.”
 
“Destiny is keeping you and your children apart?” Bernadette forced her shaking form to calm down. The queen nodded solemnly.
 
“But I cannot tell you why,” the queen said miserably, “I wish I did not have to bear this horrible burden alone, but I must…”
 
“You can trust me!” Bernadette said quickly, “I won't blab to anyone!”
 
The queen smiled, “The only way I can tell you… is if I am sure you will not speak a word. And that is if you come away with me…”
 
Bernadette blinked in confusion, “Where are you going?”
 
“I have no idea,” Queen Aleena explained, “All I know is that I must be as far away from my children as I possibly can. If Robotnik finds out, the whole prophecy will not be carried out the way it was shown.”
 
“Prophecy?” Bernadette blinked, “What prophecy?”
 
The queen sighed, “Do I have your promise in the matter that you will come away with me on my quest, to be sure that the secret will not be told?”
 
Bernadette nodded quickly. Curiosity had gotten the better of her once again, “Of course.”
 
Queen Aleena sighed once again, “Very well. The prophecy was told to me little under a week ago by an old friend of mine, the Oracle of Delphius. It was Robotnik the prophecy was originally made out to, but then he informed me as soon as he could. He told me my children and I would one day overthrow Robotnik upon our reunion.”
 
“Reunited…” Bernadette pondered on that one word. Maybe the prophecy wanted the queen to separate herself from her young.
 
“I realized that Robotnik would do anything it took to take my children from me, or take me as long as it meant he would still have power in years to come. To make sure they would never be found, I separated them,” Queen Aleena finished her story with a depressed note.
 
“Was that rat working for Robotnik? The one who stole your son?” Bernadette asked suddenly, her eyes filled with confusion.
 
“If he were, I would not have let him touch my son,” the queen said firmly, “I'm confident he's working for Farrell. It wasn't quite my idea to have my youngest son raised by a thief, but it's better than having him taken by Robotnik.”
 
The queen turned towards the lilac hedgehog next to her, “Now I have a question for you.”
 
Bernadette almost jumped to her feet, “Yes, your majesty?”
 
The queen laughed, “Please, I am not the queen anymore. Robotnik is in power now. I'd prefer it if you'd call me Aleena.”
 
“Yes your maj- I mean Aleena,” Bernadette smiled, “What was it you were going to ask me?”
 
“What is your name? If you are going to travel with me, then I'd like a name,” Aleena smiled, her purple hair draped down her back.
 
The lilac hedgehog pondered on it and smiled, “Bernadette.”
 
The queen extended her hand, “It is nice to meet you Bernadette, or may I call you Bernie?”
 
The lilac hedgehog couldn't help but smile at that. Bernie had a nice ring to it… she nodded.
 
Now was the time for a new start. With Aleena.
 
A/N
 
The A-Z is kicking off. There'll be five parts, and this is the A-C part. I know I might have left a few plot holes in this one, like Sonic's likeness to Jules. I know it wasn't really `romantic' but it doesn't really matter. I didn't see the need, and I liked how it rounded off. The ending is potential for a possible relationship to start, through a friendship beginning. I like odd couples anyway, so this one was slightly fun to do.
 
The next couple I'll be doing a one-shot about is Amy/Blaze.