Sonic X Fan Fiction ❯ Sonic X: Day of the Dragon ❯ Welcome to Thorndyke Manor ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

“This is Brad Smith reporting live from outside the grounds of Thorndyke Manor, home to the one and only Christopher Thorndyke. It has been confirmed that what is expected to be the wedding of the century will be attended by some old friends of Mr. Thorndyke. I am of course referring to Sonic the Hedgehog and friends. Sonic and friends have not been seen since they returned to their home planet nine years ago, and as you can see a lot of people are very excited about their return to Earth.”
 
It was one big media circus outside the grounds of Thorndyke Manor. There was much celebration going on while people waited for Sonic and friends to make their entrance. People were carrying big banners that said things like, “Welcome back Sonic & friends” or “We luv u Sonic.”
 
“It is believed that Sonic and friends are to arrive shortly on something called The Blue Typhoon. Mr. Thorndyke declined to comment earlier today about… Wait what's that?!”
 
A big golden vortex appeared in the sky high above the manor. The Blue Typhoon came out of it and down below the crowds burst into applause.
 
“Whoa! What an amazing sight! It looks like Sonic and friends have arrived!”
 
High up in the Blue Typhoon Sonic and the others could see the huge crowds of people below.
 
“Wow! They really know how to roll out the welcome wagon here.” said Sonic.
 
“Thorndyke Manor this is The Blue Typhoon requesting permission to land.” said Tails.
 
“Typhoon you are clear to land. Welcome to Thorndyke Manor and have a nice day.”
 
A big bunker opened up in the grounds behind the manor. Tails landed the ship inside.
 
“We made it!” exclaimed Cream.
 
“Chow Chow!”
 
Chris was in the bunker waiting for them.
 
“Sonic! Glad you guys could make it, how've you been?”
 
“Fine, you know we wouldn't miss this for the world.”
 
“It looks like you got here alright.”
 
“Yep, courtesy of Tails and his space time warp thing.”
 
“Sir your fiancé called asking if Sonic and friends made it safely.”
 
“Who said that?” asked Knuckles.
 
“That's just Jacob.” said Chris.
 
“Jacob?”
 
“He's an all purpose artificial intelligence program that I designed. He runs everything electronic in the house and in the grounds.”
 
“Sir, your fiancé.”
 
“Oh yeah! Sorry Jacob, patch her through.”
 
“Chris, are you there?”
 
“Hi honey.”
 
“Did Sonic and the others make it okay.”
 
“Yes they're right here.”
 
“Can I speak with them?”
 
“Sure.”
 
“Hi guys.”
 
“Hi Helen.”
 
“I know you only just got here but I need to ask you about some important wedding issues. Cream would you like to be the flower girl when it's time for the wedding?”
 
“Yes. Just be sure to get a picture for my mom.”
 
“Wonderful, oh and Tails, would you like to be the ring bearer?”
 
“Tails isn't a bear, he's a fox.”
 
“Not bear Sonic. Ring bearer.” said Amy “It means he carries the rings down the aisle during the wedding procession.”
 
“It would be my honor.” said Tails.
 
“Excellent, Amy and Cosmo is it? Would you like to be some of my bridesmaids?”
 
“You can count me in.” said Amy
 
“I would be delighted.” said Cosmo.
 
“Knuckles would you like to be one of Chris' ushers?”
 
“Excuse me?”
 
“All you do is assist me one the day of the wedding if I need something.” said Chris.
 
“I guess.”
 
“Don't I get to do anything?” asked Sonic.
 
“Absolutely Sonic, you get to be my best man.”
 
“Sweet! What's the best man do?”
 
“You also assist me on the day of the wedding, you also act as a legal witness to the marriage, make a toast to Helen and me at the reception, and the fun part is you get to organize the bachelor party.”
 
“I think I can do that.”
 
“Excellent, then its all settled.” said Helen “Chris remember, I have a fitting tomorrow, then we need to pick out flowers, and we need to decide on musicians.”
 
“Don't worry I won't forget it.”
 
“Good night Chris, I love you.”
 
“I love you too honey.”
 
“Transmission ended sir.”
 
“Thank you Jacob. I'll show you guys to your rooms so you can unpack, then maybe we can talk.”
 
On their way out of the bunker Sonic and friends realized that the floor was moving.
 
“Whoa! You have one of these moving sidewalk things?” asked Amy.
 
“Sure, did you not see how far that bunker was from the manor?”
 
Chris' manor was bigger than Sonic and the others remembered his parent's mansion was. Not to mention the house looked a lot more techno-savvy.
 
“Nice place you got here.” said Sonic.
 
“Uh Chris, what are those?” said Tails pointing out one of the windows.
 
Outside there where tall robots with electric staffs walking around the grounds and standing at certain locations.
 
“Oh gees did Eggman follow us here?” asked Knuckles.
 
“It's okay guys, it's just the Guard-bots.” said Chris.
 
“Guard-bots?”
 
“Just another one of my inventions. They're like my own personal security guards. Like Jacob they are very intelligent.”
 
“Sweet.” said Sonic.
 
After unpacking they sat in Chris' living room. The room was very big and had a skylight to top it all off.
 
“So how did you afford such a sweet pad?” asked Sonic “I know your parents are rich but even they didn't have a place like this.”
 
“Remember that suit of powered body armor I used when we fought Gigex?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Well that particular suit was just a prototype. When I came back here to Earth I made a few improvements to it. Then the military got very interested in it. When they saw what it could do they started buying.”
 
“I hope Helen isn't chasing you just for your money.” said Amy “By the way, did you propose to her or was it the other way around?”
 
“I proposed to her.”
 
“Good boy. Did you ask her parents first?”
 
“Yes I did.”
 
“Why would you ask her parents first?” asked Sonic “If he wanted to marry her why doesn't he just ask her?”
 
“Sonic, sometimes it's a good sign of respect to ask the girl's parents for permission first. After all she is their daughter.” said Chris.
 
“How did you propose?” asked Amy.
 
“Well I knew I had to do something very special, something that would show how much I love her. For sometime I wondered what I could do, then it just came to me. I remembered that many women dream of walking down the aisle some day.”
 
“What does that have to do with… Oh.” said Knuckles. He just remembered that Helen was disabled.
 
“After that I spent a good deal of my time trying to find a way I could help Helen be able to walk. Then one day I was sitting in this room watching The Batman season four when it came to me. I could redesign the legs of one of my suits so that it would act like an exoskeleton that could interface with her nervous system, kind of like a pair of super legs that would enable her to walk. Of course I tested it on another disabled person first to make sure it worked. I can't imagine how disappointed he was when I told him he would have to wait for me to build another one. Soon after that I went to Helen's parents and told them about my invention and asked them for their permission. Overjoyed at the idea of their little girl being able to walk it wasn't hard to get them to say yes. On Helen's birthday I took her and her parents to my lab and showed her the legs. You should have seen her when she stood up for the first time, when she was walking on her own. She was so happy, then I asked her to marry me, and that made her even happier.”
 
Cosmo started crying a little.
 
“That was beautiful.”
 
“You are a genius.” said Amy.
 
Suddenly something that sounded like a siren went off in the room.
 
“WARNING! INTRUDER DETECTED! GUARD-BOTS DISPATCHED! INITIATING LOCK-DOWN PROCEDURE!”
 
The next moment several of Chris' guard-bots came charging into the room and the windows and doorways were covered in thick sheets of metal.
 
“Chris what's happening?” asked Cream.
 
“The security system has detected an intruder.”
 
“Sir, the guard-bots have found the intruder.”
 
“Can you give me a visual Jacob?”
 
“Yes sir.”
 
An image of a person being held down by the guard-bots in the grounds appeared on the TV.
 
“Oh great, just some hot shot reporter trying to get a big scoop. Damned vultures. Jacob, patch me through.”
 
“Yes sir.”
 
“This is Christopher Thorndyke speaking; if I catch you on my property again I'll have you arrested for trespassing. Jacob, have the Guard-bots throw him out, and terminate the lock-down.”
 
“Yes sir.”
 
“Sorry about that guys.”
 
Meanwhile somewhere far from the eyes of anyone a sinister figure sat alone in the darkness. The only sound that could be heard was the silent sound of approaching footsteps.
 
“Report… Sonic the Hedgehog? Interesting… But Christopher Thorndyke will need more than a super fast hedgehog to protect his family from me… Do we have an appropriate test subject? Let's see… no… no… no… ah… Yes he will do quite nicely.”