Sorcerer Hunters Fan Fiction ❯ Tropicana ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
One warm September night when the stars were just beginning to emerge from their ebony blanket, I was driving down along 21st Avenue towards my home on 30th. The day at the bookstore had been horrendously long and tiring, plus all the appointments I'd had with new publishers and editors had my nerves almost permanently on hold. As the president and overall owner of Glace Bookstores, my jobs and supervisionary techniques were constantly needed for my business to succeed and fluctuate, and this resulted in my supreme exhaustion, at least most of the time. My job paid rather well, however, and I thought, for a bachelor under 25, I was doing well.

I loosened my grip on the steering wheel, and turned on the radio of my sleek little black Ford Taurus to my favorite jazz station, and relaxed against the leather seat. I noticed the fading light outside, and glanced at the digital clock above the radio dials. It read stolidly, 8:01 PM. I narrowed my eyes in slight disbelief and brief annoyance; work had ended a bit late today.

I was suddenly startled by a mechanical ringing somewhere behind me, and I wavered a tiny bit in my driving. I reached into the backseat rapidly and pulled out the stupid cell phone. I lowered the radio's volume, and I turned the cellular on and pressed it promptly to my ear.

"Hello," I stated flatly. I did not like to be shaken up like that. Baka cell phones, I thought. If not for my job, I knew I wouldn't keep one with me at all.

"Heya Marron!" A familiar voice buzzed in my ear.

"Niisan?" I sputtered in disbelief. Why was my brother calling me? I rolled my eyes. Probably because he wants to announce his twentieth engagement to a girl he met on Miami Beach, I thought. Those relationships never lasted five seconds, and I had come to learn not to take my brother seriously on the subject of women. For much of anything, for that matter.

"Yeah, it's me. How are ya, Marron?" My brother did not immediately ask me to come to his wedding with his fiance "Yuri" or "Celia" so I knew this call was not a general call from Big Brother. I straightened up in my seat, and tried to listen as carefully as was possible when driving in Massachusetts traffic in the somewhat late evening.

"Niisan.." I said slowly, "What's wrong?"

"What? Nothing, Marron," my brother laughed. "You are so damn serious, Marron! You need to loosen up a bit."

Before I could respond to this, my brother spoke again. "Actually, that's what this random call is about.." he trailed off.

"What? About me being 'damn serious'?" I frowned at Niisan, even though he was thousands of miles away in Miami, Florida.

My brother laughed again, his scratchy voice blending with the general rasp of the cellular phone. I usually did not use profanity, so it must have seemed funny to him.

"No, Marron. What I mean is that you should relax a bit. Take a vacation."

"What?" I asked in disbelief. "Niisan, there's no possible way I could do that.." How could a president of a company take a vacation? He was the most important person, so and his opinions, actions, and decisions were constantly required. Taking a vacation? That was definitely out of the question. Determinedly, I turned my little car onto 31st Avenue and drove slowly up into my cobblestone driveway.

"Come on, Marron! I'm not gonna take that B.S. You can at least take a week off," my Niisan argued in my ear as I quietly slipped out of my car.

"Niisan," I said firmly, "My bookstore company has become successful due to all this hard work I've vigorously put into it. I don't want to lose that."

"But you won't!" My brother instantly replied. "Please, Marron. Take a week off. Come down to Miami to see me. Don't you miss your big brother?" He teased. "Plus, I guarantee you will meet a cute girl down here. God, I am so glad I chose to live down in good ole Florida! Babes year-round," he explained. That subtle pleading note was in his voice, and I knew I could not easily refuse him without feeling somewhat ashamed.

"Well.." I lingered.

"Come on, Marron." He urged, and I was done for.

"All right," I said, relenting, and turned my house key in the lock.