Sorcerer Hunters Fan Fiction ❯ Tropicana ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It was about four in the morning when I heard rustling outside the apartment. Only hours before had I finally decided to retire to the guestroom after making plans for the next day when the others would arrive. The girl Sierra was beginning to worry me more, for her condition was rapidly changing. Before I had gone to sleep I had checked to see if she was okay and her face was beginning to look duller and duller, and I was sure it was not due to merely fatigue. This knowledge had put turmoil on my heart, and as a result I had not slept well. I

listened carefully to the noises beyond the window, but either my thoughts must have drowned them or they had just stopped altogether, for the sounds had ceased. I shrugged and pulled the thin covers over my bare shoulders. Even though the sheet was thin, I was sweating immensely. Florida's weather was obviously much different than Massachusetts's weather. I sat up in bed, and pulled off my silk boxer shorts. It was simply too hot, so I decided it would not matter if I just slept naked. I tossed my boxers over in front of the door, where my suitcase now sat. I rolled over and drowned myself in the sheets, and closed my eyes.

"Where is he?" A sudden voice, deep and full of emotion thundered outside. My eyes flew open. It sounded too familiar. Just as I was about to fully realize what was going on, the door to my room flew open, and a hulking shadow rushed in. The figure violently tripped over the solid suitcase, swore several times, and to my immediate dismay, tumbled on top of me. I briefly smelled something like pine and sweet-smelling soap, and disturbed, I fought to sit up in the jumble of sheets and legs. For some reason I could not, so I just lay there in the dark, a huge shadow curled on top of me and the sheets. Something moved, and then the light came on.

I was face to face with a pair of bright blue eyes. I could have screamed, but I merely gulped some bile that had washed up in the back of my throat.

"Oi, Marron." And the blue-eyed man broadly grinned. I knew he must have secretly been snickering because I was obviously naked. White sheets, unfortunately, didn't cover much. I sighed deeply. It was all coming back to me, for better or for worse.

"Hello Gateau."

Five gracious minutes after my impromptu meeting with Gateau, I had found some proper dress and shyly slunk into the now-crowded living room. As I entered, I saw two faces I had not seen in an entire four years. I broadly smiled at them as I entered, and cheer spread on their faces as they recognized me as well.

"Marron!" The first of the girls, a petite magenta-haired woman, rushed forth to hug me. She smelled of sweet peppermints and I embraced her gently.

"Tira." I pulled away enough to really look at her. She had not changed much, but she had sacrificed her long red cloak for a pretty long skirt and a floral sweater. She stared at me through small clear spectacles that accentuated her pretty face. Noting her appearance, I wondered secretly if I looked any different to her as well.

"It's been so long." Tira smiled again and stepped back politely, to let Chocolate greet me. What I saw then startled me worse than my earlier bed reunion with Gateau. The other woman that stood before me was not the ostentatious, scantily dressed girl I had known. The woman standing here, dressed casually in a pair of loose-fitting jeans and a long T-shirt, looked nothing like Chocolate. Yet that shock of red hair flowing down her shoulders told me it was she, and none other. I gasped in taking in her appearance, and demurely, she came forth to embrace me.

"Hello, Marron," she said deeply and softly. I breathed a sigh of relief. Her voice had not changed, and this greatly lessened my apprehension. I hugged her back, and as I pulled away I noted she wiped a tear from her eye. I also noticed that Chocolate was not hanging all over my Niisan, which only a few years ago would have been greatly odd. Yet since she moved away when the team split up, I knew a pretty woman like her must have found a nice boyfriend or husband in her own vicinity. Her look had obviously toned down, and it had the sweet whisper of imminent maternity, so I had a covert feeling my suspicions were accurate.

"Hey meathead!" Carrot said suddenly in Gateau's direction, as Chocolate and I had sat down. "Aren't you gonna say hi to your old sweetheart?" He said this with an ugly tone fringed with sarcasm. I grimaced, as did Gateau.

"Yeah, I already did, you little pervert," Gateau sniffed from his leaning post near a lamp. He then had a slight grin randomly, and I looked away, blushing. No doubt he was thinking about the previous bed incident. I shook my head, and turned my attentions to our serious matter at hand, who was now resting on a striped armchair, fast asleep.

"What should we do?" Chocolate asked, worry in her voice as she noted the greatly fatigued Sierra. "She looks very tired for some reason." Tira nodded. Both women had that old look of determination gleaming in their eyes, and it provided a brief flashing reminder of how they had used to be.

"Carrot told me her body is slowly being taken over," Tira said quietly. Indeed, Sierra's body mass had dropped drastically during the night, and her skin had turned from a lovely bronze tint to a dull gray. She choked frequently also, and her body was starting to emit an eerie yellow light.

"How do we stop this?" Chocolate looked at me. I unexpectedly remembered something, a particular spell that even in its insignificance and minuteness, that might help Sierra. It was a conjure spell, a spell that could lure the sorcerer to us. I stood up briskly, and faced everyone.

"Minna-san, we are going to have a little seance."