Sorcerer Hunters Fan Fiction ❯ Yume No Yoru ❯ Dream of Night ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Own nothing, will write for food...

Notes: This was actually the first Sorcerer Hunter fic I wrote, but it was temporarily misplaced in my chaos oriented room, so others were posted first. Looking back, Gateau is pretty out of character (Marron too, but that's the story), but I like him this way, so forgive me if you will.

Warnings: Shounen ai



Yume No Yoru (Dream of Night)


Awakened from my sleep by some unknown disturbance of the outdoors, I glance around by the light of a dying fire. One is missing from our ranks. Quietly I cast aside my blankets and go in search of my self-ordained charge.

Taking the short walk through the forest, my sight falls upon him near the still lake, perched atop a rock overlokking the water. He's starring into the nothingness of the night sky.

I've always looked out for him, somebody has to and lord knows Carrot won't. Yes, sometimes my attention is elsewhere, but I notice when it's important. When he's hurt, I'm always there. And right now he's in so much pain though there's not a scratch on his person. Those eyes speak of sorrow.

I want to run out there and hold him, give him comfort, chase away those invisible demons, but I can not. My help is not wanted, it never has been, perhaps never will be. Stay here, hide, a mantra that my mind repeats. My impulsive heart leaps to the retort: he needs me. But needing and wanting are not the same.

What's that? A tear? He's crying, the boy I know never cries, maybe I do not know as much as I thought. It is decided, heart over mind, no contest.

I step from the woods, "Marron." I don't pry, not yet.

He ducks his head, long ebony hair covering that pale face and the torrent it holds.

"Gateau, its late, you should be sleeping." Semblance of calm, tried and true mask slipping into place, but I can see through, I see.

"What's wrong Marron?" Surprised. I'm not quite as dumb as I look, though the mussels on my arms work harder than the one between my ears.

"Nothing, I'm fine." Kneeling in front of him I push aside the long curtain of silken hair, revealing the crystalline tear. Another follows its preconceived path. He pulls away from my touch.

"Tell me...please," I need to know, how do I protect if the enemy is yourself? If someone else--standing? Don't walk away. I can't stand to see you walk away and spend another day like this.

"Nothing is wrong. Do not worry, it is unimportant." He's leaving. Thinking without thinking I grab his wrist, halting his step he refuses to face me. How many nights will he cry?

"I can see there is. You don't cry Mar--" He spins to face me. My God, his eyes blaze, anger and sorrow glowing form their golden depths. He hanks his wrist free.

"Why? Why does everyone think I don't cry?! That I don't care, that I don't feel? Well I do!" His anger is transformed to sorrow as his small frame is racked with sobs of grief unspeakable.

I step forward and wrap my arms around him gently. He seems so fragile as he weeps against my chest. I'm lost with no idea how to comfort him. I've seen Marron composed, younger but more mature than any of us, even cold, but not like this, injured by the world.

"Shhh Marron," I stroke his hair, an instinctual method of comfort, to bring calm. In how many dreams have I held him like this? Now his hurt mars the picture. "Can I help you? You know I'll do...anything."

He cries harder. My heart aches as my words wound my dearest. He's shaking so hard, almost hysterical. Grabbing his shoulders, I push him away. Our eyes briefly meet before his settle on his feet, tears still falling to dampen the ground.

"Stop it!" My command is harsh, but I must get through to him. "Tell me," softer, "tell me Marron."

"It's you!" he screams desperately. All I can do is stare. Those beautiful eyes are still glued to the ground as he speaks. "Gateau I--I feel something for you. I'm afraid, but I can't ignore it any more. Right here," he places one elegant hand across his heart, it begins to sink in what my companion is saying. "It hurts Gateau. I want to care for you, I need to love you, but I can't..." Tears fall again. Now understanding and joy push upon my soul. He loves me! No, delay that, he wants to love me. Yes, destiny demand it!

"Marron, why can't you?"

"You, y-you don't really LOVE me." He thinks its a game to me, never.

"I do. I know I show off and make a joke out of it, but don't make my feelings a joke. I do love you Marron, with all my soul. Please...believe me."

"But, Ni-san, he says--"

"Forget Carrot! This is you, this is us!"

"I don't know what to do."

I lift his chin, forcing his eyes to see my face and his heart to see my sincerity.

"Listen. Don't think about Carrot. Don't think about Tira or Chocolate. Don't think about anyone but you. Just love me."

My brain ceases to function as I realize Marron's lips are on my own, desperate passion as he clings to me. Finally, I'm holding the man I've sought for so long and its everything I dreamed it would be.

~finis~

Please review. Praise will be framed and treasured, helpful criticism will be taken into consideration, and flames will be shipped to freezing criminals in Siberia, they appreciate you kindness.