Soul Calibur - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Two Worlds, Two Hearts ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the Soul Calibur series or the Zelda series or any of the characters used except for the originals used. Each game character is owned respectively by their makers and companies.
Chapter 1
It was the middle of the night at Hyrule Castle, the building silent with the only noises emanating from the occasional patrolling gaurds. Zelda, the princess of Hyrule and bearer of the triforce of wisdom was looking around the castle as if looking for something or . . . someone.
Then she heard something, it was a soft and melodic tune. It was beautiful but it carried a sad tone as if the musician who was playing was crying his/her heart out. Zelda quickly recognized the instrument that was being played; it was the Ocarina of Time, no other instrument could produce the distinct tunes echoing throughout the stone halls.
Quickening her pace, the princess of Hyrule rushed out to the courtyard of the castle to see a blond haired, male teen, around the age of nineteen. The teen had his back facing her as he was sitting on the stone bench in the middle of the courtyard. The teen wore a green tunic, a white garment underneath the tunic which covered his legs and arms. On his hands, he wore brown, fingerless, leather gloves. On his feet, he wore brown boots of the same material, both showing several years of wear. On his head, the teen wore a green cap with the length reaching past his shoulders.
The music had slowly ended and from her vantage point, Zelda could see the teen look up to the night sky. Not being able to keep her silence, Zelda steeped forward and spoke. “Link. . .”
The teen, Link, didn't respond right away. “Yes princess?” he asked as he turned around to face her, he had a small smile on his lips but Zelda could see it was forced. “Link . . . is there something wrong? You haven't been yourself lately since returning from your childhood years.”
Link closed his eyes and waved it off, his smile never leaving his face. “I'm fine princess; really, I just have a lot of things on my mind right now.” Zelda's eyebrows creased, she walked up to Link and raised her right hand.
Link opened his eyes as a resounding echo of flesh meeting flesh broke through the silence of the night. Link stared at the ground in shock, his left cheek, red and tender from the slap he had received from Zelda. He looked at the princess; his facial expression still adorned a look of disbelief and with a look which seemed to ask `What was that for?'
Link saw in Zelda's eyes unbridled rage mixed with a hint of hurt and worry. “Link, you do not have to lie. I can see it in you eyes, you are clearly bothered.” She said with a tone of calmness and regality only a member of the royal family could muster. Her angered ceased and a look of concern crossed her features. “I just want to know what is bothering you so deeply Link.”
The shock wore off and Link looked at the grass at his feet. He chuckled softly and said in the same tone “I guess I couldn't fool you either.” For a long time Link had been saddened by something that nobody knew. The pointed ear youth had tried in vain to hide this fact from everyone but they all read his emotions like an opened book.
Link sighed and turned to look at the night sky once more. “If you truly want to know what is bothering me princess, then it is something simple. It is love, love for another person.” Zelda was speechless, Link, her brother even if he wasn't by blood, was in love with someone.
Before she could press the matter, Link spoke again. “Do you remember the time I fought Agahnim, the wizard?” “Yes I do.” The wizard had gotten so powerful and after defeating him, Link found out that it was a shard of an evil sword which gave Agahnim his power.
The evil sword however, originated from another world. With the help of the great sages, the goddesses and with two parts of the triforce, Zelda had sent Link to that world with the evil shard that invaded Hyrule.
Link had been gone for almost a year when he came back. He had not been the same since, as if a part of him was left behind in that other world. Link, however, was able to hide it until now. Before sending him back to the past so as to live out his missed out childhood. Zelda was able to see the hidden pain in the youth's eyes. The princess however did not press this matter or asked link what was wrong. Only until recently when Link had returned and had started to act strange for the past few months did she start to worry about him.
“When I had entered that other world I had met a beautiful girl . . . no, woman there by the name of Talim.” Zelda listened intently to Link's adventure to the other world. “She was a part of a nomadic tribe and was about a year or two younger than I. She was more often a peacemaker than a warrior, but she could carry her own against opponents more powerful than her. She and I allied with each other to find Soul Edge and destroy it. Through our travels we met with other individuals who were after the cursed sword, each having their own goal in mind. Others, like us, wanted to destroy Soul Edge so no harm would befall other people. Others wanted the sword for their own personal gain.” Zelda slightly shivered at thought of someone possessing such an evil blade for their own.
Link continued his tale after a brief moment of silence; Zelda could read Link's movement. He was trying hard not to breakdown then and there, the hylian steeled himself as he went through his memories, retelling his tale to the princess.
“We fought side by side, traveled side by side to a point where we started to develop feelings for each other. It was small at first, we always blushed or looked away from each other from embarrassment during some moments. Then our feelings for each other had developed into something strong that we had our first kiss together. We loved each other deeply but we never became intimate, we had our mission to accomplish. We finally found the wielder of Soul Edge, a knight wearing azure armor known as Nightmare. His eyes were worse than Ganondorf's, crimson red which showed nothing but pure evil intent. His right arm was transformed into something demonic and Soul Edge, though incomplete, was a site to be terrified by. In truth, Nightmare was another entity created by the evil sword. Soul Edge would posses it's wielder to turn them into puppets. Nightmare is actually a man named Siegfried, a knight who came upon Soul Edge and was possessed by it. We battled with Nightmare, during the fight Talim's elbow blades, Syi Salika and Loka Luha, were transformed into another soul weapon. Though they still retained their shape, you could see an aura of holy light which rivaled the Master Sword; the weapon was Soul Calibur, a sword that was designed to combat Soul Edge. After the battle, Soul Edge was destroyed and Soul Calibur disappeared leaving Talim's elbow blades as they were. When the battle ended, Talim and I celebrated then and there, we hugged each other but then . . . I started to return here, I was slowly disappearing right in her arms. We noticed this and we started to cry . . . before I vanished completely from her world she told me that she loved and I did the same. We kissed one last time before a finally disappeared.”
Link finally turned around to face Zelda and the princess saw tears rolling off Link's face silently. “Link . . . I am sorry, truly I am” Zelda said as she continued to look at the crying blonde. Link shook his head and wiped away his tears. “No. . . It's not your fault princess besides . . . I found a way to return to that world.”
Zelda looked at Link in surprise `He has already found a way to go back . . . then why did he not go?' she thought then spoke “Then why did you not leave?” “That's because of the consequence of what might happen.” Zelda then realized what he was talking about. “You will not be able to return Hyrule.” Link nodded, “Yes, but there is another . . . I need to use the Mask of Fierce Deity. I have to fuse with it . . . permanently.”
Zelda gasped, Link had told her about the Majora's Mask and about the Fierce Deity that had given Link so much bloodlust and desire for battle. It was because of Link's childhood innocence which prevented that from happening. “I don't know what might happen should I fuse with the mask, but . . . I want to go back . . . I want to see Talim again . . . to hold her in my arms . . . to kiss her soft lips . . . but I don't know what will happen. I might end becoming like Nightmare . . . possessed.”
Zelda looked at Link sadly; the fates had chosen a child . . . a child to be the Hero of Time. He had been forced to grow up way before his time forced to fight an evil man . . . beasts and unholy demons. `Din, Farore, Naryu, oh why had you chosen a child to save Hyrule. You had chosen a Hero but you had forced a child to give up everything. Now he must choose to continue protecting Hyrule or return to the one he loves the most.'
“Link . . . you have done much for Hyrule, it is now our turn.” Zelda said a determined glow in her eyes. Link looked at her with confusion “Rest tonight Link, tomorrow we will help bring you to your love.” Link was about to protest saying that it was to dangerous but Zelda wouldn't have it. “Link . . . please give us this chance to help you. For all the things you have done for the people of your land give us this chance to repay your kindness.” Without another word, Princess Zelda left the courtyard to prepare for tomorrow.
Break
The next day, Zelda sat at a round table beside her father, King Hylian, in a special meeting room that was requested to be constructed by the king himself. It was constructed especially for meetings like this. The two were not alone as the six other sages were seated with them as well.
The king rose once everyone was seated “Thank you all for coming at such short notice. However, I was not the one who had requested this meeting, but my daughter, Zelda.” The king sat down as he looked at his daughter wondering why she had asked him to call for such an impromptu meeting, his graying handlebar moustache improving the inquisitive look he gave.
The six sages looked at Zelda wondering what the seventh sage had called this meeting for. Zelda stood and looked at everyone in the room. “I thank everyone for attending; the reason why I had asked my father to call this meeting is because of Link.”
“What is wrong with Link?” Nabooru asks. Link was the only male, in her opinion, to receive a high position among the Gerudo. “Did something happen to him?” Princess Ruto added, though she had gotten over her infatuation with the blonde she was still concerned for her friends safety.
Before Zelda could reply Saria spoke “It's about what happened to him in the other world isn't it?” Everyone in the room looked at Saria or a projection of the Foerest Sage as she could not physically leave the Kokiri Forest. Her eyes were closed as she spoke, she opened them and everyone saw the evident look of worry and concern etched upon them.
Zelda nodded, “Yes it is about what had happened to Link in the other world.” “So what had happened to my sworn brother?” King Darunia, the leader of the Gorons and the Fire Sage asked. Like everyone else in the room he had grown fond of the lad.
Zelda sighed “Link had fallen in love with woman named Talim in the other world. He loved her so much that his heart broke when he returned to this world.” “So you're proposing that we devise a way to send him back to that other world?” Rauru, the Light Sage, stated.
Zelda nodded, Impa then looked at her charge then spoke “Princess, with all due respect, what you're asking is impossible. The only cause of Link's passage of that world was because of that evil shard Agahnim possessed.”
“As much as I would like to help Link how do you propose we send him there dear daughter?” the King asked “Link has found a way to enter the other world but he is afraid that this path might have grave consequences if used.” Zelda answered her father and the question in everyone's mind.
Saria's eyes widened, “You mean he wanted to use the Fierce Deity Mask?” The other sages except Zelda and the King looked at Saria, confusion clearly adorning their faces. The green haired sage saw their confused looks and explained “It is a mask which bestows Link with great power and speed of the Deity living within the mask but it gives him a bloodlust that rivals Ganon and his desire for battle is increased.”
Zelda nodded, “Yes, Link told me that if he wanted to go back to that other world he would have to permanently merge with the mask.” Silence reigned for a few moments as everyone in the room had started to think about the situation “I might have an idea to help Link princess Zelda.” Everyone looked to Rauru.
“If we use both the triforce of Wisdom and Courage along with power of all seven sages with the Ocarina of Time we may be to set up Link to do battle with the Deity.” “It's a long shot but what choice do we have to repay Link for all the things he has done.” Darunia added.
Everyone in the room nodded. “It is best that we do this in the Kokiri Forest, it has the strongest magical aura in Hyrule.” Saria said, everyone agreed before Zelda stood up. “Thank you everyone.” “It is the least we can do your highness.” Impa said.
“Link has done so much for us; I'd feel bad if we didn't do something for him.” Princess Ruto added. “We must be careful, Link will not like this idea because he thinks he might put everyone endanger if he wears the mask.” Nabooru said. “Just leave that to me, I'll take care of things if they get out of hand.” King Darunia said as everyone prepared to leave the meeting room. The meeting had ended and everyone left to prepare for plan to give Link what he wanted and deserved, a chance to go to the world where the love of his life resided..
BREAK
Link sighed as he brushed Epona, the horse whinnied in concern. “Its okay girl I'm alright, really.” Link said as he tried to assure his steed. Epona just snorted in response. The Hero of was currently in the Hyrule Castle stables taking care of his horse Epona. The Hero of Time heard a pair of footsteps coming closer to the stables; he turned around to see the King of Hyrule himself accompanied by Zelda. “Your Majesty, Princess Zelda.” Link greeted courteously.
The King and his daughter returned his greeting before the King spoke “Link, I was wondering if you would be able to accompany my daughter and myself to Kokiri Forest. We have some pressing matters to discuss with Saria, the Forest Sage.” The King asked
Link was silent for moment for nodding his head. “It is alright your Majesty; I will escort you and your daughter to see Saria.” `I wonder what they're planning.' Link thought as King and Zelda left to prepare, he did not like the feeling he had felt upon their request. `Even if they want to help me I can not endanger them. Even if it means I have to sacrifice my chance to see Talim.'
A few hours later Link escorted Zelda and her father to the Kokiri Forest and directly heading and entering to the Forest Temple. As soon as they did, Link's danger sense flared and the door to the temple was shut. Link immediately drew out his bow and knocked an arrow, after sealing Ganon, Link had to give up the Master Sword that left Link with his Kokiri Blade (now Hero Sword) Bow, Shield and whatever items or weapon he could get his hands on. Link positioned himself in front of the King and princess; he was surprised to see the other six sages stepping out of the shadows. The blonde hylian lowered his bow but kept his body tense as a precaution.
“What is going on here?” Link asked though he knew the answer already. “I do not think we have to answer a question you already have the answer to Hero of Time.” Rauru said Link shook his head as he re-strapped his bow and placed back his arrow with the others he carried. “I know you mean well but you do not understand, if I wear that mask I'll lose myself to the deity, more so if I fully merge with it.”
“That is why we have developed a way for you to control the deity.” Saira said “We can send you consciousness into the depths of your mind so you can do battle with the deity and retain your sense of self.” Darunia said. “But you are the only one who can do this; you must possess an iron will and stand up against the being within the mask.” Impa continued.
“NO! I WILL NOT ENDANGER YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE JUST FOR PERSONAL GAIN!”
The room was silent no one had ever heard Link shout. Though they have heard him shout in battle, they have never heard the young man shout out of pure, unbridle anger. King Hylian placed a hand on Link's left shoulder. “Link, you have done most others of your age could only dream to accomplish. You had sacrificed your childhood and had risked it again. You traveled to another world to protect this one, now you are sacrificing the love of your life just to continue protecting this kingdom. Link, a man's loyalty will only get you so far. You have done enough for this kingdom already; it is time for you to reward yourself with what you truly deserve. The woman, Talim, my daughter has told me about is waiting for you.”
The King of Hyrule spoke with such compassion that the anger that flowed within the Hero of Time had slowly dissipated. “Link, it's time to let go of your loyalty, besides it's alright to selfish once in a while.” Nabooru said with a mischievous smile. “You have done more than your share Link; it is time for the Hero of Time to take a little vacation.” Princess Ruto added her say. Zelda walked towards Link's back and she too placed a hand on Link's shoulder. “Please Link.” She pleaded
Link looked down on the marble tiled floor of the temple, he sighed before finally lifting his head. He looked at everyone, each one had pleading look on their faces silently asking him to do this for himself. “Alright . . . I'll do it.” was Link's soft reply everyone in the room smiled after finally swaying the young Hero.
The group had led Link to a room that was recently built by Saria's power; it was a circular room which had the triforce symbol painted on the marble floor. Sunlight pouring through the hole in the ceiling gave enough light for all to see “Link, we will use the power of the triforce of courage and wisdom alongside our own and the Ocarina of Time. The King will play the Ocarina of Time for us while Zelda will use the triforce of wisdom. All you have to do is use the triforce of courage and put on the mask.” Rauru said. Link nodded as King Hylian pulled out the royal family treasure and stepped in the center of the painted triforce symbol, the mask of the Fierce Deity in his hands.
The seven sages formed a circle around the Hero of Time with King Hylian just outside the circle. The seven the sages had closed their eyes and started to concentrate while a beautiful, slow and soft melody had begun. Link steadied himself and started to gather the energy of the triforce of courage.
Starting to inch the mask closer to his face, the symbol of the trforce of courage was shinning brightly on the Hero of Time's left hand, the sages all glowing their respective color. Rauru was white, King Darunia red, Princess Ruto blue, Nabooru pink, Saria green, Impa grey, Zelda herself in golden light. `For Talim.' Link thought as he finally donned the Mask of the Fierce Deity and everything went black.
BREAK
Link found himself in a familiar looking landscape; it was the same type of landscape before he fought Majora's Mask in the moon. He felt the familiar feeling of the Master Sword gripped in his left hand with his Hylian shield in his right hand.
Footsteps that were creasing the grass were heard to his left. Link readied his stance as he came face to face with . . . himself or rather . . . the Fierce Deity which took the form of him when he had first donned the mask as a child. `Now I understand why Majora's Mask said that I would truly look like a bad guy if I wore the mask.' Link thought grimly as the Deity materialized his large, double-helix sword with his left hand, and gripped the handle of the strange sword with his right hand as well.
Deity immediately rushed towards Link with an overhead chop with the intent to cleave Link in half. At the last second, before metal met flesh, Link used his shield to parry the attack and followed through with a rising diagonal counter. Deity had blocked the sword with his gauntlet. Link cringed inwardly; batting away the sword had hurt his right hand and the striking of the gauntlet felt as he was trying to kill King Dodongo with a Kokiri Sword, through the beast's thinck armor.
Deity swatted the attack of his opponent; Link took a quick step back before advancing again by doing a spin slash, only to be blocked by the helix sword with great ease. Deity locked Link's sword to the ground and freed his right hand before grabbing Link's head by the side and slamming the hylian painfully to the ground. This was followed by a vicious knee to the gut which created a crater beneath his target's body. The silver haired counterpart of Link took a few steps back before repositioning his weapon for another skirmish.
Link stood up with resilience but he was on spaghetti legs, his head throbbed and a little blood trickled down the left side of his lip. Link watched as Deity walked calmly towards him, no emotion in those intense white eyes. Deity stood before Link and prepared to finish this fight by decapitating the blonde from the right. `I can't take another hit or I'm done for.' He thought as his legs buckled underneath him.
Link somehow managed to duck underneath the blade just as it was about to hit his neck. Then Link saw the opening which allowed him victory then and there, with his adrenaline coursing through his veins, he attacked the only hole open in the strike Deity had done. Using his shield, Link pushed the helix sword a bit farther away and positioned the tip Master Sword right at Deity's throat ready for the fatal strike. Deity locked eyes with Link for a long time as if the Fierce Battle god was starring into his soul.
Then Link saw Deity give a small smile, the fierce battle god then disengaged and took a step back. Link was breathing hard, compared to Deity, his speed and power was nothing, it was sheer luck and a little skill which gave him the victory he needed. Deity then bowed before Link handing his Helix sword, handle first. After receiving the strange weapon with confusion, Deity started to walk away from the Hero of Time, as he got further his body started to fade until it completely disappeared.
BREAK
Everyone in the room watched as Link's body had started to change. Link became slightly taller and his face becoming more angular. His hair had changed from golden to silver. Link's clothes had changed as also, instead of a green tunic it was white, with a front armor over the tunic. The garments under his tunic had turned from white to dark blue. His boots became slightly longer and battle gauntlets appeared on his wrists. His eyebrows became red with war paint; while a curved, blue `V' shaped symbol appeared on his forehead.
Link was motionless inside the circle of the sages. The sages themselves were exhausted from the effort, so was the King, everyone had used all their energy to set up the battle of Link and the Deity.
“It is up to Link now.” King Hylian said as he sat down next to his exhausted daughter. The sages nodded, not saying anything as they were too tired from what they had done. A groan was heard and everyone looked to Link, he had his left hand clutching his head as if he had a headache. His right hand on his abdomen and it was obvious to all that he was in pain; a little blood had started to trickle down the left side of his lip as well.
Link opened his eyes and everyone took an involuntary step (as close to a step as they could while being seated) back, Link's eyes were not anymore blue but intense white. Then a minute later, Link's eyes returned to their original colors. Before anything else could be said or done, Link collapsed on the floor, it was obvious to all he had taken quite a beating while facing the Fierce Deity.
BREAK
Link slowly opened his eyes and found himself on a bed. His head was still throbbing and his midsection still hurt like nothing ever before. Wincing, Link sat up and painfully made his way to the door. As soon he had exited, he found that he was in Kokiri Forest or more precisely, in the village of the Kokiri Children.
“Finally woke up I see.” Link looked behind and to the side to see no one. He looked down and saw Mido looking at him with arms crossed. “Mido? What are you doing here?” Link asked. “I was just checking up on you, besides I'd kick your scrawny butt if you made Saria worry even more.” Link smiled, he and Mido had patched things up and became fast friends even though they constantly bickered.
“Saria is waiting for you in the Forest Temple along with some other people.” Mido said, he then looked at Link. “You sure you should be up? From what I heard from Saria, you took quite a beating.” He asked with concern. Link winced at the pain but he smiled. “Don't worry, I've handled worse. How long was I out?” Mido just shrugged “Whatever, I don't take responsibility of your death because of your stubbornness and you've been K.O'ed for two days.” “Speak for yourself Mido and thanks.” Link retorted. Mido and Link looked at each other in the eye for a minute before they burst out laughing. “Just like old times eh Link?” Link nodded as he waved good bye to his friend before leaving for the Forest Temple.
Link reached the temple without a hassle and when he entered it he saw Zelda and Saria only. He looked around for the other sages and the King but they were nowhere to be found. He made his way towards the two remaining sages and greeted them. “How are you feeling Link?” Saria asked. “I'm okay just a few bruises.” He answered. Zelda nodded before she took out a small vial with crystal clear liquid inside. “Take this Link, this will dull the pain and increase your healing rate.” The princess said as she handed him the vial. Link thanked the princess before he uncorked the vial and drank the liquid.
As soon as he did, Link's pain had become only dull throbs and he could start feeling his body healing faster. “Uh, Princess where are the other sages and your father?” Link asked “Father had to go back to the castle while the other sages had to return to their villages, Impa left with my father.” answered the Princess of Hyrule. “Though they did leave you gifts for you for when you return to the other world.” The Forest sage said. Saria led Link to the same room where he had gone in two days ago and in the middle of the room was a table. The three went closer to the table and the silver haired hylian took stock of what was there.
On the table laid the Biggoron's Sword, a satchel, his Hylian Shield, the Ocarina of Time and a dark green, hooded cloak. “King Darunia had re-forged the Biggoron Sword with Biggoron to make it even stronger along with the Hylian Shield. Rauru had casted a spell to give your weapons a holy aura, nothing like the Master Sword but powerful enough to stand on its own. The satchel was done by Impa, along with a little something to make it more durable. The same spell was casted on the cloak that Saria and I made for you.” Zelda explained. “Oh and Link, you are able to shape the clothes you are wearing, we saw it shift from your regular clothes to the Deity armor a lot during your sleep, try it.” Saria said. Link nodded noticing only now he had been wearing the armor of the Fierce Diety the entire time, he closed his eyes and tried to picture his tunic. He felt a small tingle and when he opened his eyes he found himself wearing his old clothes.
When he looked at Zelda and Saria, both of them had healthy blushes adorning their faces. “Um, Link, next time try not to change in front of other people.” Zelda said. Link then blushed as he had realized that the two had seen him naked while transforming his clothes. “Then hopefully the cloak will help.” he said sheepishly. Link placed on the cloak, he noticed that the brooch was in the shape of the triforce. He then lifted up the Biggoron Sword and found it extremely light. `It must be light because of my enhanced strength.' Link thought as he strapped it on his back followed by his Hylian Shield. Followed by the satchel looping it around his waist so it rested by his right hip. Finally, Link placed the Ocarina of Time somewhere in his cloak. “Take care Link, everyone sends their regards.” Zelda said as Saria nodded. “Thank you my friends I will never forget any of you.” Link said before he gave them each a friendly hug before leaving the temple.
Link made his way out of the Kokiri Forest and saw Epona waiting for him. Said mare whinnied as her friend and owner petted her. “Sorry I took so long.” He apologized as he got on. Link pulled out the Ocarina of Time; he looked at the surroundings one more time before bringing the instrument to his lips and began to play a soft melody. The further he got he played he and his horse had started to fade from existence. As soon as he finished, Link was already see through, he kept the Ocarina of Time and placed the hood to over his head to cover ears and upper area of his face, past experience from the other world being remembered.
The Hero of Time smiled from underneath the hood one last time. He was going to see the love of his life and he thanks everyone from the deepest part of his heart. “Thank you . . . everyone.” As soon as those words left his lips, Link, the Hero of time, the boy forced to grow up had forever disappeared from Hyrule never to be seen or heard from ever again.