Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ The Other World ❯ The Laughing River ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I don't own......any part of.......Spirited Away.........*breaks down crying again*
 
DS: Okaaaay!!! Here's the restie. Sorry about last time. >_<;;;
Now it's time for me to esplain myself, I guess. There is far too much that has happen to re-account all of it for you. I will compromise by assuring you that a LOT has happened, I have been very busy, my LAST computer is on the verge of death, and I haven't been able to do anything having to do with the fic. I would have if I could. I'm truly, very, agonizingly sorry, and I swear to you to update regularly from now on. As a reward for all of your patient waiting, I will now shower you with a bunch of chapters at once! Enjoy! ^^;;;
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Chihiro woke up to the sound of birds celebrating the weekend. Peeking open one eye, she saw crisp morning sunlight seeping through her curtains. Rolling onto her back, she stretched like a cat and kicked off her blanket. What had she planned to do today...?
There was a knock on her door and her mother came in.
"Good morning, Chihiro!" She greeted her daughter cheerfully. "Sakura called. She said she'd meet you at the bookstore at ten."
Oh yeah...Chihiro remembered. Sakura! She would show her the tunnel today. A nervous little knot tightened slightly in Chihiro's stomach. She wasn't sure she was ready to go back yet.
"You'd better hurry and get dressed if you're going to meet you friend," her mother warned as she walked back down the hall. "You don't want to keep her waiting!"
Chihiro got up and put some clothes on, shoving her camera and the picture of the tunnel in her pocket. She took a deep breath, looking out the window and down the Hill. Could she actually go through with this? With a sudden surge of eagerness she expected that Sakura had felt last night, Chihiro grinned and headed downstairs.
"Good morning, Chihiro." Her father waved slightly from behind his newspapers as Chihiro peeled an orange. After breakfast, she walked out her back door and tied her shoes on, enjoying the morning smells and sounds from the Forest. She'd decided to take the long way - She wanted to visit the bridge before meeting Sakura.
 
Chihiro liked going to the bridge. It was like visiting a good friend...Sometimes she'd even talk to the trees and the river. It was almost like they could hear her. Chihiro smiled to herself as she walked across the field. What if they WERE spirits, after all?
As she approached the river, she heard quiet voices. Who would be there at this early hour? She hadn't thought that anyone else ever went there.
'But wait,' a little voice in the back of her mind spoke up. 'What about Mika last night?'
Sure enough, as she got closer Chihiro could see Mika lying on the bridge. She was on her stomach across it, her feet jutting over one edge, her head resting on her crossed arms. Some of her long, black hair hung in the water as she looked down. She looked a little upset. Chihiro couldn't hear what she was saying.
Suddenly, Mika stopped talking, gazing down through the clear, bubbling water. She reached down and pulled something shiny out of the water, eyes widening. Something shone in those eyes, but it was hard to tell what. Happiness? Though she wasn't smiling. Hope?
"Um, hello...?" Chihiro spoke quietly from her end of the bridge. Mika started, dropping whatever was in her hand back into the water. She gasped and snatched it back again before it could disappear. Standing up, she turned her sharp gold-green eyes on Chihiro, but said nothing.
"Uh...er..." Chihiro rooted around for something to say. "Hello!" She repeated stupidly. "M-my name is Chihiro. Chihiro Ogino...from school?"
A small fleck of recognition darted across Mika's face, but still she said nothing.
"...And...You're Mika, right?" Chihiro went on cheerfully. "You live in that big, blue-ish house over there..." She trailed off, her enthusiasm draining. Then, Mika nodded.
She didn't make a sound, but walked slowly and deliberately across the bridge toward Chihiro. Chihiro thought she saw her glance at the river again, but then she had passed her.
"I have to leave." And with that, the strange girl bounded off across the field again.
Chihiro just stood there for a moment, sort of dazed. Okay, THAT was a bit weird. Sighing, Chihiro made her way across the bridge. Near the middle she stopped, looking down at the flowing water. What was it that Mika had found in there...? Suddenly, Chihiro gasped and hurriedly stepped away. For a moment, she had thought she'd seen a face in the water! I most definitely had NOT been her own reflection. Tentatively, She peeked over the edge again, but it was gone. Colorful river stones twinkled up at her while the river itself seemed to laugh at Chihiro's silliness.
 
Chihiro was still thinking about Mika and the river's face when she entered the book/ice-cream store. Sakura was already there, waiting for her.
"Chiiihiiroooo!" Sakura stood from her table, waving eagerly. She tossed the remains of her ice-cream cup and ran up to Chihiro. "Are you ready? Can we go?" Her eyes shone with anticipation and impatience. Finally, she was living and adventure. Thing were happening as if she lived in a manga or a fantasy book, and she was extremely happy.
Chihiro giggle at her friend's excitement, forgetting about her earlier experience.
"Calm down, you're making a scene!" Chihiro grinned. As always, Sakura's cheerful energy was contagious.
She was certainly dressed for the occasion, too. Sakura had a pale green "Inu-Yasha" T-shirt on over bluejeans and a tan hoodie wrapped around her waist. She carried a small Mickey Mouse backpack over her shoulder with who-knows-what in it.
"You sure you're ready?" Chihiro teased as they headed for the door.
"Oh come on." Sakura scolded. "Humor me for once, will you?"
They were abut to head out when the door swung open on its own, and they had to jump back to avoid being hit. A familiar platinum-blonde head peeked around the wood frame.
"Omigosh, Chihiro, Sakura, I am SO sorry!" Kimi hurried inside and closed the door behind her. "I totally never saw you coming, I'm SO sorry, are you like, y'know, hurt anywhere?"
Chihiro chose not to mention her aching toe that hadn't escaped the door's attack. "No, Kimi, we're fine, don't worry." She smiled weakly.
"Are you sure? I'm like, so embarrassed, I'm sorry, I..." Kimi broke off mid-apology, her sharp eyes taking in their gear. "Hey...Are you guys like...going anywhere? Where are you going?"
Sakura and Chihiro exchanged pained looks. "No, nowhere, really..." Sakura attempted.
"Yeah..." Chihiro piped in. "Just going for a walk, I mean, you know, shopping...or something..."
Kimi didn't look convinced. "Uh-huh. All right then." She stepped aside. "Have a good time..."
"Yeah, thanks, bye!" Chihiro and Sakura hurried out the door. Sakura leaned against a lightpost and sighed.
"Phew. That was kinda' close." She shook her head and smirked. "That girl is way to nosey for her own good." She looked back at Chihiro and grinned. "Well? Are we gonna go?"
Laughing, the girls made their way up the Hill.
 
Back in the bookstore, Kimi watched them go from the big glass windows, fuming. Shopping, eh? Keep secrets, will they? Keep secrets from HER? How dare they?! Why wouldn't they tell her where they were going? It MUST be somewhere they didn't want people to know about(bright one, ain't she?;p). Well, she'd show them! Keep secrets from HER, will they?? From Kimi Morokuna?! Kimi forgot what she'd come for and stormed out of the store. She'd show them. She'd find out this little 'secret place' of theirs and make sure EVERYONE knew about it.
Nasty thoughts sweeping through her curly, insulted blonde head, she followed the two at a safe distance.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
DS: Whee! Curiosity killed the Ganguro Girl, Kimi. lol. I hope you've enjoyed this and much as I have. On to the next chapter!(But please...still give me a review! ^^;;)