Spriggan Fan Fiction ❯ Hospital ❯ Hospital ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Hospital
Author: Jan
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: none
Series: Spriggan
Pairings: Yu/Jean
Notes: Written as a livejournal drabble me challenge entry. More slices of life.

~*~*~*~*~

It was a cute little plant, all things considered.

Small, oval green leaves spotted around with delicate little pink flowers. The petals were spike shaped and flared out from the center like bicycle spokes. A blue pot with large orange lettering written in a child’s scrawl that said simply ‘plant’.

The afternoon sun streamed through the part in the hospital draperies. Ominae Yu opened them further to set the plant in the windowsill. His fingers stroked over the leaves and the flowers, each stalk bending beneath the weight and springing back up in enthusiastic response to the caress. "Don't you <I>dare</I> die on me!" he chastised the small plant. His soft words pleaded in desperation, attention shifting from the plant to the man lying in the hospital bed.

Tubes hung from various IVs and stands lending credence to the artificial feel for the whole scene. Like tiny roots, they slithered along the bed and crept towards their own brand of mechanical sunshine. Machines of all descriptions whirred, blipped and dinged softly. At least they had taken the respirator away. Its loud hissing had filled his ears and gave Yu a sickened feeling with every cycle of breath.

Yu moved from the window to sit in the chair pulled up to the side of the bed. He would have tried to sit on the bed, but there were too many tubes snaking from beneath the sheets. It wasn’t worth the risk of detaching a vital one in his selfish desire to be closer to his friend.

“Jean.” Yu couldn’t finish. His shaking hand rose to finger the blond hair peeking out from beneath the bandages. What good would it do to bitch to another Spriggan about taking unnecessary chances? Jean would not have charged in to the compound possessing full knowledge of the machine gun nest unless he had felt there were no other choices.

The daring assault provided the cover needed for the rest of the team to infiltrate in and take command of the archeological site for ARCAM. But not waiting for support before wading in to deal death, it was still a foolhardy thing to do. As a result, it put Jean here in the hospital. The machine fire just came too fast for Jean’s body to keep up with and he lost consciousness before having the opportunity to frenzy at the sight of his own blood.

The medical teams had done everything they could. It was now a waiting game. Even with his superior physical abilities, Jean had a long way to come back from before his body could kick in to speed the healing processes.

Digging in the pack he had dropped by the bed, he pulled out a book. He held it up to Jean and grinned. “The newest draft of ‘Guerrilla Warefare and ARCAM Special Forces Operations Field Manual, edition 420-32.c’.” Yu looked at it and chuckled. “Yamamoto told me they incorporated our suggestions. Let’s see, huh?”

Settling back, Yu flipped it open and began to read aloud. Although met with silence and the occasional blip from a machine, he gave commentary, asked questions he knew would not be answered and made notes in the margins for improvement. The afternoon passed quickly, interspersed with regular appearances of the nursing staff to check on Jean.

Later, the nightshift nurse informed Yu visiting hours were up. With a polite nod, he began to pack his gear to leave. His hand rested on Jean’s shoulder to say goodnight. “I’ll be back in the morning to check on you, Jean. Yamamoto said a situation was developing in the Congo, but they aren’t ready for a team to go in yet. You need to get better soon so we can work together again.” He paused as his voice started to pull tight. Unable to continue, Yu just nodded and gave the shoulder one final squeeze before he slipped out of the room.

Sluggish warmth filled his consciousness. Taking several painful breaths, Jean managed to open his eyes. He had the oddest dreams. Fragments of what happened, a jungle, machine gun fire, pain ripping through his body seemed so far away through his drugged clouded mind.

He remembered vaguely hearing a voice, familiar and comforting. Yu had been talking to him. Something about standard operational procedures for two man teams operating under direct radio silence.

His eyes blinked heavily, something in his peripheral vision catching his attention. Squinting to focus, he could just make out the outline of a small plant in the windowsill.

~*~*~*~*~