Star Wars - Series Fan Fiction / Halo - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Master Chief vs. General Grievous ❯ Interlude ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter 6:
Interlude
 
The Master Chief and Cortana returned safely to the cruiser, John tired and worn out from the battle with Grievous, he clasped the light saber tube in his hand tightly.
 
“I believed you Master Chief, truly I did but…I didn't expect something of that age and design to be that strong and powerful.” Cortana said. The Master Chief dropped into his seat and relaxed.
 
“What really concerns me Cortana…is that I'm going to have to fight him again.”
 
“What? But you defeated him, destroyed him, and practically fried his limbs off with that ancient weapon you carry.” Cortana remarked. John shook his head.
 
“I'm not sure anything can kill Grievous, plus he has the Covenant to go to, who would repair him without a second thought. They'll make him stronger….faster…and better than before.” He said grimly.
 
“But is that even possible?” Cortana asked. John shrugged slightly.
 
“I don't know. I think he may pose the greatest threat to the human race that we have ever seen.”
 
 
Sparks flew all around as Covenant engineers worked on Grievous's mangled body. His yellow eyes opened a crack and it reminded him of when he first met the Covenant, it was too bright for him to see, and he was on a table. His eyes were able to take in the light and they opened more, slowly as to let his eyes take in the bright rays of light.
 
“Aw, he's awake.” He heard `Hetamee say. Grievous's long neck was able to bring his head up so he could see `Hetamee, standing and talking to `Jemomee.
 
“What are these Covenant doing?” Grievous asked as another blast a sparks flew into the air. With his artificial feel in his robotic body, Grievous could feel the Covenant tools work in and around his limbs, it hurt quite a bit, but Grievous was used to pain.
 
“Well General, we are remaking you into a better cyborg.” `Hetamee announced to him.
 
“Better?” Grievous growled as his yellow eyes narrowed. He looked down and was disgusted at how his new body parts had become more Covenant-ish, with more of an ancient look it, ancient looking patterns that were common on Elite armor and the walls of the ship were now on his armor. What made him proud to be a Covenant was the fact that he stood out from the others. With his even sharper foot claws, Grievous lashed out and his clawed toes found their way around an Elite's neck.
 
“Grievous, what are you doing?” `Jemomee asked.
 
“I don't want to be better, as you put it; I was already as good as anything in the universe could be. Nothing could be a better killing machine than me!” He boomed. `Hetamee nodded and clacked his mandibles.
 
“I don't know.” `Jemomee said softly, almost in a whisper. “The Xenomorphs of this galaxy are pretty danger…”
 
“Very well General, we shall go retrieve your original limbs.” The gold-armored Elite interrupted and went to retrieve Grievous's parts. `Jemomee looked at the Elites who were working on Grievous before.
 
“Take off his Covenant limbs now soldiers.” He barked. The Elites all nodded and went to continue their work.
 
 
`Hetamee passed through his control center before having to go into the parts room. There, stood the red-armored but highly respected `Letomee, manning the controls. `Hetamee looked up at the Elite working the controls with precision.
 
“Letomee.” The gold-armored Elite said powerfully. `Letomee turned to look down on him.
 
“Yes `Hetamee?” He asked.
 
“Bring this ship down to the nearest friendly planet. We might need some extra parts for Grievous in case we lost some bolts and screws. And Grievous might even like to see what they've got in stock for the humans.” `Letomee nodded.
 
“Yes sir.” He turned and placed a clawed finger onto a holographic key pad. “Setting coordinates.” As `Hetamee turned to continue his way to the parts room, `Letomee looked over his shoulder. “So how is our general?” He asked. `Hetamee stopped and turned to the Major, he nodded.
 
“He is quite jumpy, but he will make a full recovery, he is a cyborg, and he is a Covenant, he will heal.”
 
Of course he will, he's a cyborg.” `Letomee thought to himself, as if the question he asked was stupid. `Hetamee clacked his mandibles and smiled at the Elite.
 
“You remind me a lot of myself at your age young Elite.” He said suddenly. `Letomee looked away from the control panel again.
 
“Pardon sir?”
 
“I was very much like you at your age. Low rank, yet I still had respect from my elders, I was told often I was a loyal, obedient, and skilled warrior. That was long before this war though.” He crossed his arms and chuckled to himself, `Letomee was quite shocked at the Ship Commander's sudden change in mood. “This war is tearing up friendship in the Covenant you know. Elites are against one another, `Nakimee for example, Jackals are against Grunts, and Hunters aren't even treated like living creatures anymore.”
 
“What are you saying sir?” `Letomee asked. `Hetamee chuckled again, lowered his head with his long, strong neck, and stared at the ground, his yellow eyes filled with thought and wonder.
 
“You know…I heard the Prophets are bringing more species into the Covenant, Brutes and Drones I heard.” He looked at `Letomee. “I don't like those Brutes; they are rude, brutal, and disrespectful to us. I won't be surprised if the Prophets soon choose them over us.”
 
“Now don't say that sir.” `Letomee said. “We've been with the Prophets the whole time, they would never replace us.”
 
“Again you remind me of myself, I always believed in what I wanted to believe in, and trust me child, it is a marvelous gift to have, until age and wisdom sweep in and show you the truth.”
 
“Sir…?”
 
“Sooner or later `Letomee, you foolish child, we are going to have to turn to an Arbiter for the Elite's freedom, and then, do you know what shall happen?”
 
“S-Sir?” `Letomee asked, quite shaky now.
 
“WE SHALL SIDE WITH THE HUMANS!!!” `Hetamee boomed. “I know what shall happen, and now, for the first time…I look forward to seeing a human as a companion in battle. Those Brutes will be the death of our species `Letomee, don't you forget it!” The Elite turned on his heel and stormed out of the room, and `Letomee, now alone at the controls, stood in silence, calculating and thinking about the things his higher rank said, everything seemed to make sense, but he just couldn't believe yet if these, `Brutes', would or even could replace them. No one in the universe could match their intelligence on the battlefield, or skill in battle, but the name `Brute' made the Elite think a little bit.
 
 
Grievous woke up again, now feeling lazy and unworthy for having slept for so long, he sat up to see `Jemomee, `Hetamee, some dirty, mechanic Elites, servant Grunts, and his squad, who had apparently come by to see their leader. The general stood up, towering over the Grunts and Jackals in the room, but standing about even with the Elites in the room.
 
“Welcome back General.” `Ritamee said, smiling under his mandibles. `Hetamee unfolded his arms and walked toward the door. He stopped as the doors slid open, looking over his shoulder.
 
“I am informed the ship is to receive more troops when we go down to collect supplies on the nearest rest planet.” He said.
 
“Very well then.” Grievous said, his voice sounded groggy, even with his metallic tinge, after so long of resting.
 
“The Prophets recruited new species, Brutes and Drones I am told, and possibly a few Brutes with join your squad. That is all.” `Hetamee seemed concerned with what he said, and by the way he heard it, Grievous wasn't sure he wanted creatures called Brutes or Drones to be in his squad. He looked at his squad, all of them surprisingly obedient now, even the Grunts. He nodded.
 
“You all may return to your cabins until we land.” His squad looked at one another, and turned to walk to their cabin when Grievous's robotic hand reached out and snatched his favorite comrade besides `Ritamee, Hular, and pulled him back toward himself and `Jemomee. “Come Grunt Hular, walk and speak with us.” He and `Jemomee walked side-by-side out of the door and down the halls, the nervous Grunt following them. `Jemomee looked at Grievous.
 
“How do you feel about the Brutes sir? I have heard nothing but trouble from them toward the Elite group General.” Grievous's eyes narrowed. He hated trouble makers in his army, any that is, and he highly respected the Elites as equals, for both their determination and intelligence.
 
“I'm sure we will run into some…complications with those Brutes.” He growled. Hular looked from Elite to Kaleesh cyborg as each one of them spoke to one another.
 
“And Major `Letomee has spoken to me as well General, he says `Hetamee has gone over the edge. Something about the Prophets leaving the Elites and possibly even other species for the Brutes and Drones.” `Jemomee said, as casually as possible.
 
“I do see the Prophets as a betraying race, and I am sure that they will be quick to dispatch any of their warriors, no matter how skilled or intelligent they are, for better ones.” `Jemomee and Hular were downright surprised at Grievous's statement, and even frightened. “Come, I shall grab my cloak.” Grievous added and walked toward his cabin.
 
 
John jumped awake when suddenly an alarm flashed in the ship.
 
“Alert.” Cortana said. The Master Chief looked over at the AI hovering beside his command chair and looked as she stared at an upcoming planet.
 
“What is it?” The Master Chief asked.
 
“It's the Covenant ship that had Grievous in it. While you were sleeping, I piloted the ship so we would follow them, and we are here, at this planet, the name I don't as of yet, but, I can tell you it's some sort of Covenant stash planet, where they keep supplies, you know, methane for the Grunts, food and nutrition for all the species…”
 
“Yeah, yeah, just get to the point.” The Master Chief grumbled, he wasn't exactly pleased at being awoken…again.
 
“All I'm saying, is that we should sneak through the Covenant defenses there, and take out Grievous once and for all, while he least expects it.” Cortana said as she turned toward the Spartan. As if he had much of a choice, whether it was fighting Covenant or Grievous, the Master Chief was going to have to go down, and at least fight something. He nodded and jumped up.
 
“Alright, follow the Covenant to their base, let's give them a little surprise visit, on their own turf.”