StarFox Fan Fiction ❯ Fire and Ice ❯ Chapter I: Dark Beginnings ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A ship somewhere in the Lylat System: Five years before the original Starfox

"It's good that you could make it," the dragoness murmured to her guest from her position opposite him at an ornately carved desk.
The black panther smirked. "I do what I can. Now, why did you bring me here?"
"How much do you know of the legend of Fire and Ice?" the dragoness asked, her large wings fluttering slightly.
At 6'6", Panther was considered large in most circles, but was dwarfed by the huge size of his draconic hostess. This fact caused Panther to choose his words very carefully when he spoke to her; though he was afraid of few things, that did not mean that his common sense went out the window. "It is not a piece of common knowledge among my people, but I know a fair share about it. Why do you ask?"
The dragoness leaned forward slightly, causing the small lamp, which was the only source of light in the room, to cast weird shadows on her face. "Because, my black-furred friend, I believe that the time is coming soon when their powers will awaken. Once this happens, my--aspirations will be impossible to achieve," she said.
Panther smirked slightly. 'Aspirations, eh? She wants to be the next Andross,' he thought. 'I wonder what makes her think that these two elementals will be the only threat to her rise to power? Oh well. As long as I get paid.'
"What do you want me to do?" Panther asked.
"Subdue them," the dragoness said simply. "By any means necessary."
Panther raised an eyebrow, his amber eyes narrowing critically. "While I'm not exactly what you'd call a model citizen, I typically only try to duck the red tape if I'm sure I'm not gonna get caught. This is essentially a guarantee of jail time, if not worse."
"Let me worry about that," the dragoness said, smiling cryptically.
Panther tilted his head slightly, but smiled back at the dragoness. "Well, as long as we're on the same page with what I'm gonna get out of this..."
The dragoness nodded. "You'll be well paid. That is assured."
Panther smiled. "I don't believe I got your name, miss--?"
The dragoness smirked, placing her hands behind her head. "I didn't give it," she replied. "If you have no more questions, you can leave."
Panther chuckled to himself as he walked out of the dragoness' office. 'So presumptuous,' he thought. 'Well, as long as I'm getting my cut, I don't really care what she does.'