Stargate: Atlantis Fan Fiction / Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction / Stargate SG1 Fan Fiction ❯ Universegate ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: This is a parody inspired by the works of Nickelodeon and Sci-fi Channel. All characters that I have not created or borrowed from other sources are theirs. This is a Fan fiction and not meant to violate the rights of those who own the rights to the Avatar:The Last Airbender or the various Stargate Series. I have no money and therefore not a good suing target. Thank you very much.

Universegate

Chapter One

Rodney McKay waited for the address to be dial as his experiment into one of the last projects the Ancients had created before they Ascended. Project Arcturus was a mission to create an improved zero point energy device. Free energy which could be used to power all of Atlantis' systems in the Pegasus Galaxy. Before they continued, Lieutenant Colonal John Sheppard was asking a question about the experiment.

"So what was this experiment suppose to do again?"

"Basically instead of creating a place in subspace or using the multiverse that we use exist in, the idea was to find a different set of multiverse where the natural laws of physics would allow for the generation of free energy. It was one of a number of experiments used for the generation of energy. An entire settlement of Ancients based around the lab we saw on M90-980. The idea was to use the stargates themselves as the transmission device to a different dimension. It uses a different program to put in basic terms. We managed to find and decode the system, then hooked it up to the gate. Now we just send the MALP on to the world and check things out." Rodney was proud at his find of the Ancients Technology and it's possible uses which made him continue with the most major development.

"Fortunately, instead of the massive energy required to dial to a different Galaxy this system only needs a slight increase in energy. This means it can be used with the right processing to be a shortcut to Earth. Step onto a safe world from Atlantis, then dial back with the right information for the Milky Way and land on Earth. So it can help us gain power as well as cut days off the travel time to Earth." Smuggly he added this little nugget, which was the major selling point with the expedition's commander Elizabeth Weir.

"As long as nothing nasty comes out of the gate, you mean." said John as they waited for the final chevron, the seventh, to encode. The gate acted slightly out of sorts of the normal wormhole. The wormhole usually had the appearance of water blasting out before retracting into a pool of water. Yet with this wormhole the water more resembled steam and the pool was more a cloud. Slowy the all purpose mobile lab moved forward.

On the otherside of the Wormhole...

Sokka and Suki were walking in one of the many parks in the city of Ba Sing Se, slowly passing one of the ancient pieces of art which had been found by the university in the caverns beneath the city. The water tribes warrior was trying to impress his girlfriend with all of the information he had gotten from the time he had spent in the city during the spring.

"This is said to be the Doorway to the Heavens, found in one of the most ancient sections of old Ba Sing Se. It comes in two parts, one a ring and the other being a pedistal." Sokka said as he repeated what one of the Joo Dees had told him, his arm wrapped around Suki's shoulder.

"Are those things on the ring suppose to be moving like that? Or glowing?" Suki said as she looked at the ring. Sokka took a look and saw what she was seeing. The triangles hanging on the side of the ring where shifting forward and back. The two of them went to battle position a fair distance from the ring.

"Everyone, get back from the ring." yelled Sokka as he looked at the ring behind the tree planted in front of it. After the years of the Dai Li, everyone obeyed without question. Sokka knew this was a sad part of the history of the city, but it was proving useful when this was occuring.

After the shifting occured, there was a huge explosion sound as a blast of what looked like steam burst through the centre of the ring. As the steam retreated after passing through the tree, what remained of the plant was a smoking stump. Sokka spoke up, "It's either really hot steam or not steam at all."

Then a machine started to roll up through the ring as the if the steam was harmless. The machine stopped in front of them. It stood silent for a moment before it started to speak in something like a human voice, but all it was saying was gibberish.

"What do you think it's doing, Sokka? Should we attack? Is it some old Fire Nation war toy?" said the woman warrior as she slipped out some fans for combat.

"I think it's trying to talk to us. It's just using words we don't understand. Maybe if we talk to it..." he moved closer to the machine and looked at it.

"Hello, I'm Sokka of the Water Tribes. We are in the city of Ba Sing Se. Where are you from? Do you have cities?" The young man made sure to speak with a loud slow voice so they could understand them.

Back at Atlantis...

"So Rodney, any idea what they are trying to say?" asked Sheppard as he watched the screenshot of a teenaged boy standing there talking to MALP like he was a tourist in another country.

"It seems to be a mixture of different eastern languages. There's a translation aspect of the computer which should be able to decipher the language then upload it to a device for downloading to team members. It can also be used to upload our lanaguage," McKay said before getting looks from Weir and Sheppard. He continued, "I found a month ago but it didn't seem to be important to use immediatly, so I just hooked it up after testing. Oh, look at that, it's done. We can talk through the computer to them."

Rodney then made himself look busy to avoid the dirty looks he was getting.

Back on the other side...

"Can you understand me? I am trying to understand you." said Sokka as he spoke as loud as he could while making sure to keep it slow as well as trying to emphasize every other word.

"Can you repeat what you have been saying. We have just started to be able to translate your language so we can understand it. Also you don't have to speak quite as loud or slow." came a voice from the strange squat machine which had yet to move again.

The water tribes warrior blinked with the words which was coming out of the machine. Then he spoke to it while keeping an eye on the machine and the cloud in the centre of the ring, "My name is Sokka of the Southern Water Tribes. Who are you and are you human or spirit?"

"I'm Doctor Rodney McKay of the Atlantis Expedition and we are human. This is just one of the machines we use to explore. It has a mechanism which allows for the transmision of voice through the air and through the Stargate we just opened." the machine spoke using what sound like a human voice.

"Hello, My name is Suki of the Kyoshi Warriors. Sorry to interupt, but what is a Stargate?" asked the young woman as she moved closer to the Sokka and the ring.

"It's the ring structure behind me which can open a hole through the universe, or in the case of your Stargate, a gate between two different universes with possibily different physical laws of nature. Using the gate with a device near it on a pedistal, one can travel to different planets in the same galaxy, different galaxies or even universes." The voice on the other side of the ring kept talking to them.

"Galaxy? Planets?" Suki was asking Sokka as he started to think of the concepts being given to him.

"Shoot. Okay, a planet is world which in our universe is round and goes around a sun. A galaxy is made up of stars, which are also suns, which may have planets. There are as many galaxies as there are stars in the sky. Does that help Suki? " continued the voice before he continued, "Would it be alright if we sent a few people to come through the gate to meet your people?"

Sokka mind moved rapidly as he thought of what to do next. He was possibily the first person to contact people from somewhere else. He decided carefully, "I would like to contact some of the people in charge of this world. I am the son of the Chief of the Southern Water Tribes, and I think he would like to be here. This city is captial of the Earth Kingdoms, so the Earth King would likely want to bring a representive. Plus I know the new Firelord and the Avatar, they would like to be able to contact them as well. Can you give me a few minutes to bring everyone who should be here to the Stargate?"

"The wormhole in the centre of the gate last for a maximum of thirty eight minutes. Then we'll have to open a new one. It can only go one way and is dangerous before it become stable." said the person on the other end.

"I can figure from the stump where the tree was. I'll try to work fast," Sokka said as he turned to Suki and spoke softly, "Suki, can you round up Aang and the other guys, my dad and who ever you can get from the Earth King. I'll try to stay here and learn more from this Rodney guy."

"Okay, Sokka. I'll do my best, be back soon." she said before giving him a kiss.

At the Jasmine Dragon...

Aang was enjoying the time he was spending with the rest of his friends as they spent some time visiting Zuko's uncle in Ba Sing Se, offically as part of the treaty process with the Earth King and members of two major tribes of the Water Tribes. The Foggy Swamp Tribe was mantaining a more neutral stance, since they didn't lose anything or gain anything during the war.

He was currently looking into the eyes of Katara, the woman of his dreams who had finally returned his love. They were holding hands under the table as their friends made their own entertainment. Toph was currently picking her toes, which had caused most people to give her a wide birth. Zuko was talking to Hadoka and General How about the meetings in the morning to broker peace with the three nations which remained. Behind him was Mai, as Iroh was serving his new Four Lands blend. A blend of tea made from leaves of all four nations, mixed into harmony.

Everything was peaceful and calm....

"Sokka and I discovered aliens! Aliens from another universe!" shouted Suki as she ran into the tea room. Everyone turned wide eyed at the news which had just been told.

"Okay, Suki. Could you slowly repeat what you have to say?" Asked Katara, taking up a leadership role.

"The big ring and pedistal thing from Old Ba Sing Se started to move it's triangle parts. Then it explosed in steam which destroyed a tree completely, then it moved back to cloud over the centre of the ring. Then a machine rolled out under it's own power and started to talk to us. In gibberish, but they had a thing to translate it. Now they're waiting there for the Avatar and representives of the other nations. We have to hurry as they can only keep the 'wormhole' thing open for thirty eight minites before they have to close and reopen it." Suki said in a rush as she tried to get the point across as quickly and smoothly as possible.

"If this is a doorway which opens inside the rings, the Earth Kingdom army is going to have to look at it. It could be a spirit gate way or it might be something else. After all which have happened during the war, it's best not to take chances. Some extra benders, warriors and the Avatar would also be helpful if hostile. We might as well see what this is." said General How, as he faced the chance this could be a threat to his people. The others nodded along with him.

"Let's go." said Aang, wondering what it was he had gotten himself into this time.

Meanwhile, back on Atlantis...

Rodney was looking at the readings from the mouse cage they had sent over with the MALP as well as the commentary Sokka gave about the small mammal. It looked like everything was go for a meeting between the people on the other side of the gate, at least as soon as the important members of society showed up.

"So what is there to report?" asked Dr. Weir as she moved from briefing she was going to make for Stargate Command if they could contact them. Rodney knew that Dr. Radek Zelenka would be composing the notes on the engineering developments of the expedition on his behalf as Rodney studied the new world.

"Fact of the matter, we have learned a lot from Sokka. Apparantly, this world had been up to a hundred years ago been divided into four ethnic groups. The Air Nomads, the Earth Kingdom, the Fire Nation and the Water Tribes. The major differences being that each race had it's own ability to telekinetically control their element. Correct, Sokka?" as Rodney as he knew the microphone was on and was ready to recieve information.

"That sound about right, not sure what you mean by telekinetically except it sounds like you're talking about bending. The exception is the Avatar, who can bend all four elements. He also has some weird powers like leaving his body and travelling the spirit world. Or seeing the future and stuff like that. You know weird Avatar stuff. You know Avatar's right?" said Sokka as he continued to converse with Sokka.

"Not exactly, Sokka. We don't have bending as you described it or even an Avatar," Rodney turned to the group who had gathered next to him and John. It included Teyla and Ronon as well as Dr. Weir.

"Turns out it's martial arts based to a point or as a source of focusing the power outward." Replied John as he mentioned the information learned while standing with Rodney.

"You guys don't have bending. That's... odd. I mean I didn't see much bending before a few months ago, except my sister and I always thought she was using magic water. Now that I have seen it in action all across the world, I can't imagine a world without it." said the boy on the other side of the wormhole.

"Then there's the hundred years war they been throught. The Fire Nation decided to strike out at the other nations for the last hundred years. First thing the did was to exterminate the Air Nomads to a man." said John, obviously making not of the conflict which had dominated the land.

"The genocide was an attempt to stop the Avatar as he is born and reborn in each nation in the order of air, water, earth and fire. However, the Avatar accidently went into cryostatus for a hundred years. When he emerged he managed to master the elements of water, earth and fire. Then managed to find a method to stop the war without taking any lives, using some method of sealing a bender's power. There's more to it and it will be in my report." said the technological advisor, as he spoke to his commander.

"Looks like the time is running out for the wormhole. Have your people arrived yet Sokka?" asked expedition leader as she watched a count down.

"I can see them moving towards us. How much time do you have left?" asked the boy as he called out to them.

"We can shut it down and open it in a few moments. Please Stand-by." said Elisabeth as they began to shut down and redial.

Back in Ba Sing Se...

Aang was shocked at the image of a cloud in the gate seeming to swirl away into a vortex at the centre of the ring structure. In front of the ring, a fair distance away was a squat machine which Sokka seemed to be talking to. Or at least until the ring lost it's cloud.

"Sokka, what's this and why was there a cloud so low? Or flat?" asked Aang as he looked to the older boy.

"You just missed them guys. They had to shut down the Stargate because they couldn't keep it open any longer. They're going to have to open a new gate, so you all can see how this thing works. They were telling me all about the Stargate." Sokka said as he seemed extremely excited over what had happened.

"Stargate? What in the world is a Stargate, Sokka?" asked Zuko, sound like he was confused.

"In their universe, there was this race of humans who lived before anything else. They even recreated a new race of humans. They had technology so far ahead of ours it would seem like magic. They even had the power to create these holes in space, Rodney the guy I was talking to, called wormholes. They could use their technology to create instant doorways across space to other worlds in their universe. At some point they discovered a way to come to our universe, which is why the gate is here. Isn't that amazing!" Sokka was getting more and more animated with each sentence.

"Okay cool? But what use is it to use? Other then getting more company for tea?" asked Toph still confused at the statement.

"For one thing, it's possible we could have other humans on other planets. Maybe even other Airbenders, which means Aang might not be alone. Maybe even more Avatars, if Aang was the spirit of this world, why wouldn't other worlds have Avatars too?" commented the Water Tribes genius, looking as if he was trying to make Aang happy.

Aang perked up at the idea of meeting other Airbenders or even other Avatars, people with something in common with him. As he thought this, he saw the ring react. The triangle things on the ring were reacting, pushing forward and back. As they pulled forward and returned they glowed a shade of violet. As the last triange moved, a whoosh of steam burst out and pulled back to the centre of the ring to create what looked like a cloud.

From the cloud emerged four figures, two with light skin and two with darker skin. All but one of the dark skinned figures were male. One of the light skinned males had the look of a warrior which also matched with the image of the darker skinned giant who seemed to be built with muscles. The woman also held a look of strength which spoke of battle in the minds of the warriors and benders, while having an exotic beauty. The one remaining light skinned male was smaller and a less likely to be in a fight, yet he was the one to speak up first.

"Hello, Sokka? I'm Doctor Rodney McKay, the technological advisor for the team and the expedition. These are my colleagues. Major John Sheppard of Earth, like myself. He's our commander, " said the smaller lighter skinned man as he pointed to the other light skinned male. He then pointed at the dark male and female in that order, "This is Ronon Dex, our special operations advisor.. Finally, this is Teyla Emmagan who is our expert in dipolmatic realtions within the galaxy we have found ourselves in. We're Atlantis Team One."

Switch of View...

Rodney watched as the boy they had been talking to spoke up again as he introduced all of the people he had gather here. The boy began to speak, "I'm Sokka of the Southern Water Tribes and this is my father, Hakoda the Chief of the Southern Water Tribes."

Sokka pointed at a man in a blue outfit who looked to be in his mid to late thirties. Then he pointed to a middle aged man in green and yellow, "This is General How, leader of the Council of Five and leader of the Earth King's armies."

The young man then pointed motioned to two younger people. One looked like he was in his mid-teen with a nasty scar over his left eye, covering a good part of his face. He was dressed in the green robes which most of the people were wearing here. The other was a tween who dressed in yellow with some kind of wooden medallian, who was also covered with blue tatoos which ended in arrows.

"This is Firelord Zuko of the Fire Nation, visiting his uncle in the city while making peace treaties. Finally, this is the Avatar, Avatar Aang. I believe I told you about him over the machine. Also there are a few of our friends here as well." Sokka said as he continued the introduction. As he mentioned each person they made a little bow.

"We have my sister and Aang's waterbending teacher, Katara. My girlfriend and leader of the Kyoshi Warriors, Suki. Toph, Aang's earthbending teacher. And Zuko's girlfriend, Mai." Sokka directed them to a girl who had some similarities to himself standing by Aang, a girl who was by the side of the Water Tribes teen, a short tomboy who looked like her eyes were blinded and finally a gloomy looking girl by the firelord's side.

"Okay, now that the introductions are out of the way. I guess it's time to talk turkey." said John as he looked at the group gather around.

"Do you mean turkey duck or turkey pig?" asked Toph as she seemed to be looking in their direction.

"I'm guessing the wild life is a little different here then on Earth. I was just going to discuss a few questions we both might have about each other and the gate. Is there a place where we can all talk?" asked the Atlantis Commander, just as another machine move through the gate before it closed.

"What's that?" asked Aang as he saw the larger machine.

"It's our Field Remote Expeditionary Device or FRED. It's contains more equipment and a homing device if something happens to us. It's a safety percaution." said Rodney, mentioning it as simple as possible.

"So perhaps we should go to my uncle's tea shop to discuss things." said Zuko as he seemed to give them a place to talk.

Later at the Jasmine Dragon...

"I'm just going down to the brass tacks. We mainly opened this gate in hopes that we might find traces of the Ancients in your universe, as well as a possiblity of reaching our homeworld." said John as he sat down to a cup of tea and some kind of rice dish.

"I don't know of these Ancients you speak of. I only recall a note about the Ring of Stars being discovered in one of the hidden chambers of the old Ba Sing Se caverns. I am concerned about a doorway being able to open up in the heart of our city. We have had a bad cause of luck with our city being pentrated by enemy forces within the last few months at least. I would sugget to the Earth King to move the Gate to the Agricultural ring at least, if not out of the city. Would that pose a problem for you?" asked General How, obviously looking at the idea of a door to anywhere being behind their walls.

"Not really, on many worlds we have encountered there have been distances from local residences to the Stargate. We would have to contact Atlantis to confirm a down time for the movement of the gate. We are also willing to help you develop a defense system to protect yourselves. I won't sugar coat it, we have encountered hostile alien life forms when we began to use the gate." continued the Earth Solider as he talked to a counterpart.

"What sort of safety features? And what sort of enemies?" asked the chief of the Water Tribes.

"The main device we use if a shiled over the Stargate. The Ancients provided a forefield, a shield of energy to cover the gate until they were sure who was coming over. On Earth, we use a metal iris of overlapping metal plates to cover very close to the gate. Too far away from the gate and it would be destroyed by the unstable wormhole. It prevents anyone from materializing at the covered Stargate, which causes the anihilation of the object trying to come through." commented Rodney as this was his specialty.

"The main threat for Atlantis is a race called the Wraiths. They are blue skinned alien lifeforms which can confuse the mind of normal humans with their mental powers, causing one to see things which are not there. They feed on human life force and have spend centuries culling my people before they slip into a sleep for centuries." said Teyla as she explained the situation they faced.

"Bascially the raise human for food and them harvest them. We have also discovered other races like the Goa'uld, snake like creatures which attach to a human's spinal column and control them. They had an empire where they made humans believe they were gods with magical powers due to their advance technology. But our people have freed most of their slaves and ended their rain. We also faced the Replicators, a race of very small machines able to build themselves into larger objects and adapt fast to any situation. We defeated them as well. We've also made friends with alien races as well." continued Rodney as he explained the situation on Earth.

All of the people of this universe blinked at the idea of such strange creatures in another universe. It wasn't log before Aang began, "So you also wanted to contact your homeworld? How do you plan on doing that?"

"Either with a couple of our people crossing over after we send them our contact code or through a conpression pulse of information using the computer on the FRED. We can do that as soon as we finish up here. I would also like to look at the caverns which contained the Stargate, for any clues as to the fate of the Ancients." spoke the scientist as he sipped at his tea.

On Earth sometime later...

The gate was starting to dial in a code from another location, everything seemed to be going normally with the gate except for the unknown person or people activating the gate. As a precaution, the iris was closed within a matter of seconds. Yet when the gate opened, it seemed that something was strange about this wormhole. It resembled steam more then it did water like the usual gate did.

General Landry was prepared for anything give the action of their new enemy, the Ori, who were a race of beings of a higher level of evolution. They had passed the physical plane and became energy beings, ones which enforced a religion on their people who gave the Ori more power and strength with each increase in faith. He turned to Walter and asked the question, "Any clue what the hell is happening?"

"Recieving a G.D.O signture from the Dr. McKay of the Atlantis Expedition. He is attempting to communicate with us. Whould I put him on screen?" asked Walter.

"On screen now." commanded the General as he saw an image of Dr. McKay and some teenaged boy standing near him.

"Hello, General Landry. This is McKay of Atlantis, we have discovered an Anicents experiment with finding a more powerful source of energy then a ZPM. It also had the bonus of a short cut across the universe. See they used a program to replace the gyphs on it, exchanging stars for quantum frequencies. And... I'm make it short. I have a few high-compression data bursts, with modified softwear to increase the level of contant. We have also sent the few things we know about this world as well, plus the Ancient's new Quantum Dialing System." spoke the scientist, beaming with pride at the info he was sharing.

Rodney continued, "Members of the expedition have been here just a few days, supervising the moving of the gate by means of earthbending. I have included data on that and examples of bending as performed by various benders. I explan it all on that data pulse. We are about to start an investigation of the site the Stargate was found. I hope to be able to answer all of your question in the pulse and welcome a Stargate team to the communication hub."