Stargate SG1 Fan Fiction ❯ Reel Of Light ❯ Emma Takes Charge ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story is for entertainment purposes only, it only exists to amuse me (and I am easily amused). I received no money for this story. No copyright infringement is intended.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jack sat on the hard chair staring at Daniel, who lay crying on the bed. He had told Jack about his talk with Emma, and while Jack's first reaction had been to be furious, he first had to calm Daniel down from his hysterical crying fit he had got himself into. It had been over an hour and Daniel was just calming down. The sobs had long since subsided and now only Daniel's heavy breathing sounded in the otherwise silent room. Jack shifted in his chair.

“Finished?” Jack tried to keep his voice even, but a small crackle of impatience slipped through.

“I'm sorry.” Daniel spluttered for the hundredth time. “I know I shouldn't have...”

“No, you shouldn't have.” Jack almost spat at Daniel, catching himself in time. “You should have waited until either me or Hammond wanted to talk to them. Then you could have asked all the questions you wanted. But no!” Jack waved his arms in the air. “You had to go and ask them about Sha're, upset one of them, and reduce yourself to this.” Jack motioned to the mirror in the corner of Daniel's quarters. Daniel sat up in the bed and looked over at it. He looked terrible, his long blonde hair was matted with sweat. His blue eyes were red and puffy from crying and his cheeks looked so red Daniel looked like he'd run a marathon. His glasses sat, crooked, on his face; leaving red marks where Daniel had lay on them.

“I'm sorry.” Daniel said again.

“Danny.” Jack stood up, walked over to the bed and sat down next to Daniel. “If I wasn't your friend I'd kick your ass.”

“But?” Daniel asked hopefully.

“But,” Jack started. “I am. So I understand how much Sha're means to you. I understand why you did it, it doesn't make it right Space Monkey, but I understand.”

Daniel smiled at Jack, who rolled his eyes and ruffled Daniel's hair.

“Come on.” Jack stood up again. “You have to say a big sorry to...” Jack trailed off.

“What?” Daniel rolled off the bed.

“Nothing?”

“Jack?”

“What?”

“What is it? What's wrong?” Daniel cocked his head.

“Nothing's wrong.” Jack lied.

“Is so.”

“Is not.”

“Is so.”

“Is not.”

“Is so.”

“Is not Daniel.”

“Is so, Jack. Tell me.”

“It's just, well.” Jack started.

“Kerry?”

“Yeah. She, well, she looks so much like my Sara used to when she was younger.” Jack admitted. “Kinda freaks me out.”

“You know what freaks me out?” Daniel started to smile again.

“What?”

“She's so much like me.”

“Yeah I noticed that too.” Jack started to smile, then grin. “A female Space Monkey. Heh, the female of the species.”

Daniel laughed. “That's not funny.”

“Sure it is.” Jack chuckled to himself, steering Daniel out of the door and down the corridor.

“Was she really upset Jack?” Daniel almost whispered in Jack's ear.

“Dunno.” Jack shrugged. “Carter said she was crying, but Emma was just pissed at you so I'd say you'd better grovel.”

“Oh.”

“Do you care?”

“Jack! Of course.” Daniel was shocked. “I mean it's not their fault they're here. They didn't ask to live in a universe where we're a TV show.”

“Yeah I guess.” Jack ushered Daniel into the elevator. “A TV show, wow. Do you think we're sex symbols Daniel?” Jack grinned.

Daniel started to laugh. “Yeah, of course we are. I bet we have millions of web pages just for us two.”

“Yeah.” Jack leaned against the elevator wall. “You should have seen Hammond's face when I told him.”

“What did he say?” Daniel grinned.

“He said...” The elevator doors opened, cutting Jack off.

“What?” Daniel leaned forward.

“We're almost there.” Jack said soberly. “Get ready.”

Daniel nodded. They turned the corner to come face to face with Teal'c.

“O'Neill.” The large Jaffa nodded. “Captain Carter is inside with Kerry Ramsey.”

“Where's Emma?” Daniel asked.

“She is speaking with General Hammond.” Teal'c spoke slowly and calmly. “She expresses concern that Colonel Mayborne may wish to...”

“Take them.” Jack finished Teal'c's sentence. “Damn, I never thought of that!”

“Well the General won't let that happen, will he? Jack?” Daniel looked hopefully at Jack. Jack said nothing.

“Sir.” Sam appeared in the doorway. “Daniel? Are you guys coming in?”

“Yeah, come on Daniel.” Jack pushed Daniel inside the guest quarters assigned to Kerry.

They were small and quite dark. A single cot bed was pushed against the wall to the right of the door, next to it was a small bedside table. Across the room on the left hand wall was a desk, chair and TV stand, complete with TV and VCR. On the table was a lamp, and computer terminal. On the far wall was a dressing table with drawers for clothes and belongings. Two picture hung on separate walls, adding a small amount of colour to the otherwise grey room. One, a painting of a galaxy, hung over the bed; the other, a photograph of a snow covered mountain, hung over the desk.

Kerry sat on the bed staring at the TV, whatever channel it was, they were covering a parade of some sort and the young woman seemed entranced by the goings on. Daniel stumbled into the room, followed by Jack, Sam and Teal'c.

“Hi.” Kerry waved at them without looking from the TV.

“Hi.” Daniel smiled and walked over to the bed. He sat down just behind Kerry. “Err, Kerry?”

“I know.” Kerry turned to Daniel and smiled. “It's OK.”

“Are you sure?” Daniel leaned forward.

“Look Danny, she said it's OK. You got off lightly.” Jack smirked at Daniel. He grabbed the chair from the desk and dragged it over to the bed next to Kerry. “Whatya watching?”

“We were watching a ritual call the Thanksgiving parade O'Neill.” Teal'c strode over.

“Cool.” Jack turned to the TV and stared.

“What is the purpose of this ritual O'Neill?” Teal'c stood over Jack.

“Well, it's to give thanks for everything we have.” Jack looked up at the huge black man, then turning to Kerry. “Right?”

“Don't ask me.” She shrugged. “We don't have Thanksgiving in England, it's an American thing.”

Jack opened his mouth to comment when Lieutenant Graham Simmons ran in. His pale skin was flushed with running; he doesn't look much better than Daniel thought Jack. The young Lieutenant knocked cautiously on the door and then walked straight up to Jack.

“Colonel.” Graham started. “General Hammond wants to see you in his office right away.”

“And he told you to run down here?” Jack turned his head to look at Graham. “Run being the word?”

“Yes Sir.”

“Any idea what it's about?” Jack stared up at Graham, who stared back at the Colonel like a rabbit in the headlights of a car.

“Err, well Ssir.” Graham stuttered. “He said something about Miss Kalmin wanting to talk to both of you.”

“I'm coming.” Jack muttered, standing up. “Tell him I'm on my way.” He glanced down at Kerry, thinking for a second, of taking her with him; then thinking better of it. He didn't want to worry her with talk of Mayborne or his department getting his hands on her. Jack shuddered inwardly as the thought of the NID interrogating Kerry passed through his head. He took a deep breath and turned back to Graham. “You're dismissed.”

Graham nodded and tore out the door.

“Something's wrong.” Daniel muttered to Jack. Jack glared at him as Kerry looked round.

“I'm going to go now.” Jack hissed at Daniel. “I'll be back soon children, now play nice. Uncle Teal'c is in charge till I get back.” Jack waved as he left the room.

“What's going on with the Stargate?” Kerry looked over to Sam.

“Oh.” Sam smiled, caught off guard. “Well, we managed to shut it down by disconnecting the conductors. The wormhole disengaged but we've closed the iris just in case.”

“Oh.” Kerry nodded. “So, what made it do that?”

“Well, I'm not 100% sure, but I thinks it's part of what the vortex is meant to do.” Sam leaned forward. “I think, well, we think that it connects to the Stargate to allow people that go through to get home. It was probably linked back to your Earth at the same time.”

“Oh.” Kerry repeated. “So, it's OK?”

Sam smiled and nodded. “Yeah, it's OK.”

“Err, Sam?” Daniel frowned. “You said you think it linked to Kerry's reality as well?”

“Yeah.”

“Couldn't people have been sucked in like me and Emma?” Kerry looked from Sam to Daniel and back again.

“That's what I was going to ask.” Daniel folded his arms. “People who were looking for Kerry and Emma.”

“Oh God.” Sam stood up. “I can't believe I didn't think of that. Damn!”

“We must inform General Hammond.” Teal'c cocked his head.

“Wait!” Daniel cried. “What's to stop more people from getting `sucked' through if we gate to P3J 769?”

Sam stopped in her tracks, she turned to Daniel, a look of horror on her face.

“You don't know do you?” Kerry stood up and walked over to Sam.

Sam shook her head. “This is like the chicken and the egg. We have to gate to P3J 769 in order to stop the vortex, but if we do, we'll open it.”

“We can't win.” Daniel shook his head. “How can we get there to send people back and shut it down, when gating there will open the wormhole and cause the problem we're trying to stop.”

“We must still inform General Hammond.” Teal'c stared at the door.

“Agreed.” Kerry nodded and started out the door. Daniel and Sam stared at her. “The longer we wait the more people may be sucked through, so come on!”

“You're right.” Daniel nodded, followed by Sam and together they all walked to General Hammond's office.
 
*****

“Sir we can't let the NID get their hands on them!” Jack almost shouted at Hammond. “They'd, well, they'd...”

“I know exactly what they'd do Colonel.” Hammond cut in.

“So do I.” Emma sat with her arms folded in front of her. “That's why you need to keep Mayborne away from us. Kerry most of all.”

Jack nodded, then checked over Emma's sentence.

“Keep him away?” Jack cocked his head. “Like, you're not going back, keep him away?”

“That's right Colonel.” Hammond cut in again. “Miss Kalmin and I have decided that it would be in both our best interests if she and Miss Ramsey were to stay here, in our reality.”

“Sir?”

“They have information we could use.”

“We can help you with information.” Emma chipped in. “Also Kerry would love a chance to study Anthropology and Archaeology, Daniel could help her with that...”

“Wait.” Jack cut in, putting his hands up to halt Emma's list. “I see that you two have already reached an agreement. Why am I here?”

“I want SG-1 to work very closely with them.” Hammond smiled. “I also want SG-1 to be responsible for their safety until I've talked to the President about Colonel Mayborne.”

“Sir...” Jack began to protest.

“No argument Colonel.” Hammond stopped smiling. “It took a long time for Miss Kalmin, the President and myself to come to this decision. It's in both our best interests.”

“Yes Sir.” Jack nodded and then thought for a second. “Sir?”

“Yes Colonel?”

“Where would Miss Kalmin and Miss Ramsey live?”

“On the base to start with until we could acquire other accommodations.” Hammond cocked his head. “Why?”

“Well Sir.” Jack squinted at Emma. “They're dead, in this reality. They have been on the news, in newspapers and on the Internet Sir. They can't really just go walking around downtown. Forget Elvis sighting Sir, we'd have to deal with very real Emma Kalmin sightings.”

“I understand your concern Colonel...” Hammond started.

“I don't think you do Sir.” Jack cut in, making Hammond scowl. “They would be virtual prisoners in the SGC.”

“Teal'c goes out.” Emma glared at Jack.

“Teal'c's not dead and doesn't have web sites in his memory.” Jack spat back.

“Fine.” Emma hissed. “Be like that!”

A small knock sounded on Hammond's door, breaking the silence in the frustrated room. Sam poked her head around the door. Hammond sighed, he would have to thank her for that timely interruption later.

“Sirs?” She looked worried, not a good sign. “Can we talk to you?”

“Come on in Captain.” Hammond motioned for Sam and her party to come in. She entered the room followed by Daniel, Kerry and Teal'c; they stood behind Jack.

Sam took a deep breath. “We have a problem Sir.”

“Well sit down Captain.” Hammond almost shouted, this day was trying his patience. “What's the problem?”

“Well Sir.” Sam began. “We believe that when the AR vortex linked to our gate it was also linked to the reality that Kerry comes from.”

“And me.” Emma murmured just loud enough for warrant a cold glare from Jack.

“So?” Hammond left the question open to Sam.

“So Sir, I think that other people may have be brought through into our reality.”

“Damn.” Jack shook his head. “General, request permission to go back to 769er and shut that damn thing down.”

Hammond opened his mouth to speak when Sam cut in.

“Colonel that's what the problem is.”

“Oh?” Jack folded his arms in front of him.

“If you go there you'll open the vortex again.” Kerry stepped forward, producing a shocked look from Hammond and an uncomfortable glance from Jack. “The only way to shut that vortex down would be go destroy the Stargate on that planet.”

“So we send a bomb through, big deal.” Jack shrugged, turning away from Kerry.

“It is a big deal.” Kerry sounded annoyed. “People might be on that planet from my reality. You can't just blow them up.”

“What's the alternative?” Hammond leaned forward on his desk.

“Someone has to go there, send the people back and destroy the Stargate.” Sam put a hand on Kerry's shoulder. “That's the solution we came up with.”

“No way.” Jack shook his head. “Whoever went would be trapped.”

“No Jack.” Daniel stepped forward this time. “Whoever went through would be dead. We'd have to blow up the whole area around the Stargate.”

“I'm not going to order someone to go on a suicide mission.” Hammond shook his head.

“Then ask for a volunteer.” Emma suggested.

“Who'd volunteer to die?” Kerry shrugged at Emma. “I wouldn't, would you?”

“They do not need to die.” Teal'c said suddenly, catching everyone off guard.

“Teal'c?” Jack looked up at the huge Jaffa.

“Could the volunteer not go through the open vortex into the alternate reality?”

“That's a good point Teal'c.” Sam pointed a finger at him.

“So instead of asking someone to die, we're going to ask someone to live in a reality where they're a TV character.” Jack stood up and shouted. “For cryin' out loud Sir, we can't do that.”

“Colonel O'Neill!” Hammond stood up. “I'll speak to the President about this new situation, in the meantime Colonel I want to you brief SG-1 on your new assignment. Dismissed.”

“Yes Sir.” Jack saluted and waved his team out of the room. “Come on ladies,” he called to Kerry and Emma. “we've got a busy day ahead.”
 
*****

Daniel sat in his office staring at his work. He had been looking at the same three words for the past hour and still had no idea what they meant. Someone passing the room may have been forgiven for thinking that Daniel was studying another language, but they would have been wrong. The book lay on Daniel's desk was in English, it was his book; his journal. Daniel smiled as he remembered trying to tell Jack that a journal was not the same as a diary, but it had been in vain; Jack had laughed and called it a diary all the same. Daniel looked over the three words again.
`Kerry and Emma.'

Finally the rest of what he had scribbled down came into view, he had come from the briefing with Jack feeling strange and had decided to write it all down.

`Jack says that Kerry and Emma are going to stay in our reality. Sam seems pleased as she gets on well with Kerry, Teal'c quite likes Kerry too so he doesn't have a problem. I'm a bit worried about Jack though, he keeps giving Kerry strange looks, I think he either really dislikes her or he has a crush on her, either way, trouble.
 
I know he doesn't like Emma, I'm not sure if I, or any of the others do either. I mean, she's seems nice enough but she's what I call `deadly honest'. She just says what she means, like when she was telling me about Sha're, I can't believe she just blurted it out like that. Still at least I know now. Life with them is going to be interesting anyway. Emma is certainly interesting, bossy, but interesting.

Tomorrow I'll show Kerry and Emma...'


He stopped reading and looked up at the shadow in his doorway. He hadn't even heard footsteps or the gentle tap on the door; it had only been the harsh cough which had finally disturbed him.

“Mind if I come in Space Monkey?”

“No, come in.” Daniel motioned to the seat next to him.

“Thanks.” Jack stumbled into the room and plonked himself on the seat. “Weird huh?”

“Sorry?”

“It's going to be weird having them around.”

“Yeah.”

“Different.̶ 1;

“Yeah.”

“Hammond told you yet?”

“Told me what?” Daniel turned on his stool to look at Jack.

“He ordered for a probe to be sent to Abydos. To see if the gate was open yet.”

“And?” Daniel leaned forward.

Jack shook his head and sighed. “Sorry Daniel.”

With a roar Daniel stood up and walked across the room. Jack heard an almighty thud, as Daniel's fist connected with the bench, he winced as Daniel threw book after book onto the floor.

“Danny...” Jack started.

“Just leave me alone Jack.” Daniel managed between the sobs, the tears already flowing down his cheeks already. “I knew it wouldn't work, I knew it. I should never had got my hopes up.”

“Danny...” Jack tried again.

“There's nothing you can say Jack.” Daniel half growled, half cried. “My wife is there now, pregnant with a Goa'uld's baby and I can't get to her. What is there to say?”

“We'll keep trying Danny.” Jack finally got out. He stood and walked slowly over to his young friend. Pulling him into a tight hug Jack rubbed Daniel's back. “We'll keep trying, I promise.”

“Until when?” Daniel sobbed. “Hammond will only send so many probes through. Then what?”

“Maybe some of the kids have seen the probe and are moving the rocks now.” Jack leaned back to look at Daniel's, wet face. “Don't give up Danny. Don't you dare give up.”
 
*****

“So let me get this straight.” Eugene Wardle folded his arms and cocked his head at Hammond. “You want to know if any of us want to volunteer to go to P3J 769, blow up the Stargate and then go and live in an alternate reality?”

“Yes, that's about it.” Hammond leaned back in his chair, he didn't have time for Eugene Wardle to start on one of his sarcastic turns.

“Right.” Eugene said slowly. “I just wanted to know I was getting it right before I said...”

“Do we have any volunteers?” Hammond cut in to address the table of scientists and SG teams. “Anyone?”

“I'll do it.” Eugene put his hand up. All eyes were on him, some of the soldiers rolled their eyes; first rule of being one of the boys - never volunteer.

“You?” Hammond almost laughed. Eugene Wardle was one of the weakest links he had ever seen, and he had to be the biggest geek that had ever existed.

“Yes me.” Eugene nodded, the soldiers rolled their eyes again; he wasn't joking. “I can learn to set the bomb and I'm fascinated by this other reality. I want to see it.”

“But you won't be coming back.” Hammond said slowly, emphasising every word. “You'd be trapped there.”

“I know.” Eugene nodded again.

“So you understand the risk?” Hammond had to make sure.

“I do.” Eugene smiled at Hammond. “Look you need someone to do this and I'm volunteering. Why do you have such a problem?”

Hammond shifted in his seat. “I don't have a problem, but I have to make sure you know what you're getting into.”

“Well, I know.”

“Right.” Hammond stood up, all the soldiers rose from their seats. “I'll meet with Dr Wardle later today. The rest of you, dismissed.”
 
*****

“Eugene?”

“Yep.”< br>
“Eugene Wardle?” Sam blinked is disbelief.

“Yes.”

“Are you sure?”

“That's what Hammond said.” Jack grinned at Sam. “SG-1 are to take Dr. Eugene to P3J 769 and assist him.”

“Assist him how Jack?” Daniel asked quietly.

“Help him get any people who have been sucked through to get home and to help him set the charges.” Jack leaned back in his chair. “Then we go home, and he goes through the swirly thing.”

“Reel of light.” Daniel corrected Jack.

“AR vortex.” Sam corrected Daniel.

“And Kerry and Emma are definitely staying here?” Sam wanted all the information she could get.

“Yep.” Jack nodded. As Sam opened her mouth to comment he cut in. “I know, I know. It's not what I would have done either, but Hammond thinks it's a good idea and so does the President.”

“What about Mayborne?” Daniel closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose.

“He's not coming near.” Jack shrugged. “Not interest Hammond said. Apparently he said since they only have knowledge of SG-1 they're no use to him.”

“Is that not good O'Neill?” Teal'c cocked his head.

“Well, yeah.” Jack nodded slowly. “But I wouldn't trust Mayborne as far as I could throw him.”

“So what now?” Daniel opened his eyes again.

“Well, we're waiting for Hammond to give the go ahead.” Jack put his fists either side of his head, rubbing them against his temples. “He's talking to Emma again.”

“Wow.” Sam smiled. “She really likes to take charge.”

“Well, if you think about it she knows just as much or even more about the SGC than even we do.” Daniel shrugged. “I'm sure she just wants to help.”

“Hmmm.” Jack groaned. “Man, I'm tired.”

“It's only fifteen thirty.” Sam shook her head at her CO.

“Yeah, well, I didn't get much sleep last night.” Jack grumbled.

“I know what you mean.” Daniel sighed.

“Where is Kerry Ramsey?” Teal'c asked suddenly.

“She's gone back to watching her parade I think.” Sam shrugged. “She's fine, a little concerned about the vortex, but she's OK.”

“I believe I will go and sit with her.” Teal'c rose and left the room in what seemed to be one movement.

“What's with him?” Jack half growled.

“I think he's worried about her being alone.” Sam smiled up at Jack.

“She's not alone. Last time I looked in Graham Simmons was sat with her.” Daniel mumbled.

“What!” Jack's head snapped round to face Daniel. “Why?”

“I guess to ask her questions.” Daniel shrugged. “Like I did.”

“What!” Jack stood up and started out of the room.

“Leave him Jack.” Daniel called out. “If Kerry doesn't want to answer she won't. Besides Teal'c is there. Leave them.”

“No, I don't think so. I'm going to go get him.” Jack spat back.

“Come on Sir.” Sam chipped in. “What harm can it do.”

“Yeah Jack. Can you honestly say you haven't thought about going to either Kerry or Emma and asking them about your future?” Daniel looked over his glasses at Jack.

“No. Well, yeah, I have thought about it.” Jack glared at his team mates. “But that's why they're staying. So we can ask them questions when we need to. Not all at once.”

“I guess.” Sam looked down at her hands. “But...”

“No. No buts.” Jack started out of the door again.
 
*****

“May I enter Kerry Ramsey?” Teal'c knocked lightly on Kerry's door.

“Hi Teal'c.” Kerry smiled. “Yeah, come in.”

“Am I disturbing you?”

“No, I'm watching TV again.” Kerry patted the bed next to her and watched as Teal'c sat down. “But there's nothing good on.”

“It's all parades and news.” Graham nodded and smiled at Teal'c.

“Where is Emma Kalmin?”

“Oh, she's talking to General Hammond.” Graham stared at the TV.

“Something about going with SG-1 to close the reel of light” Kerry shook her head. “But I doubt he'll let us. I don't really want to go anyway.”

“You are correct. General Hammond would not allow you to partake in this mission. It is too dangerous.” Teal'c half smiled. “However you do have knowledge which could aid the mission.”

“So Emma has a good argument.” Kerry smiled at Teal'c as he nodded once.

“Lieutenant!” Jack came bursting through the door.

“O'Neill.” Teal'c nodded.

“Sir?” Graham looked up, shocked by Jack's abrupt entrance.

“Come on Simmons." Jack avoided looking Kerry in the eye. “Let's leave Miss Ramsey to get some rest.”

“I don't mind, really.” Kerry smiled sweetly. Jack glared.

“I wish to stay O'Neill.” Teal'c stood up.

“I'd like to stay too.” Graham smiled at Kerry. “If Kerry doesn't mind.”

“I don't care.” Jack looked as if he were going to make a grab for Graham, but Teal'c stepped in from of him. “Come on Simmons.”

Graham stood up and started to make his way over to Jack.

“Why may we not stay?” Teal'c enquired.

“How about if I come with you?” Kerry stood up and turned the TV off. Teal'c smiled and Jack rolled his eyes. “That way we can hang out with Colonel O'Neill keeping an eye on us.”

“That would be acceptable.” Teal'c offered a hand to Kerry. Graham nodded.

Kerry smiled at Teal'c and took his hand. “Lead on.” She said.