Suikoden Fan Fiction ❯ Love's Just a Form of Insanity ❯ Chapter 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Notes: I’m so sorry for being so late on this chapter. The muse just sort of left me for this particular story. I’ll be trying to update more regularly from now on.

Disclaimer: I do not own the story or the characters

Chapter 15

As he followed her down the halls, Landis could have sworn that Ayame was getting more and more distressed. There was something about the set of her shoulders and her pace that screamed that she was frantic. They had been through most of the castle at least twice over and he was getting tired. It was difficult to keep up with ninja; they moved quickly and silently. So much as look the other way and they’d disappear from sight. After running down a few more halls, Ayame suddenly made a beeline for the outdoors.

“What are you looking for sweetest?” Instead of answering Landis’s question, Ayame sped up, though that could have been an answer in her own way. Before he could ask another question, Ayame stopped, just as abruptly as she had sped up. Landis careened to a halt, using his wings to slow down. “W-warn me before you stop like that.”

“Watari.” She said flatly and he could indeed see that Watari was only a few feet in front of Ayame. Landis clenched his teeth into one of the ugliest forced smiles ever known to man. “You know that Roan is here?” He nodded and Landis had to resist the urge to stick his tongue out at him. “You aren’t going to talk to him about what happened?”

“He doesn’t know, so I see no point.” Watari started walking past them.

“Running away again?” He ignored her, continuing onwards until he had disappeared from their sight. Landis flapped his wings in irritation.

"Why do you even bother with him?" As was usual though, he got no answer as Ayame continued on her way. He once again found himself struggling to keep up. Despite the fact that she was walking, Ayame had this way of getting away from him quickly. Which of course only fueled Landis's desire to chase her further.
________________________________________________________________________

Fred’s head was beginning to pound a little. Thinking on this matter was getting difficult for him. The knight tended to lose out when it came to anything that wasn’t a snap judgment. He became hesitant when the answer wasn’t clear, though he’d try to hide it.

“Blast it. I’m going to train.” He started to storm off, hoping to find Juan so that he could let off some steam. The dojo owner was always good for a fight once you got him up and running. It didn’t take him long to reach the dojo, but he was surprised to see someone already there, staring at Juan’s sleeping form. A tall, lanky man, with brown hair.

“Listen, wake up already!” He was yelling, looking really annoyed. Even though Fred had been planning on doing the same thing, it seemed a little rude if someone else was doing it.

“Stop it now.” He clasped a hand on the man’s shoulder. The stranger turned around and Fred had a better look at him. He was dressed like an aristocrat, but was tall and gawky, like a commoner.

The stranger looked at him funny. “Hey are you a knight?” Fred blinked at him, taken aback, since the stranger hadn't properly introduced himself. “I don’t recognize the coat of arms though.”

Fred pulled the hand off his shoulder, glaring a little. “I’m the Captain of the Maximillion Knights, Fred Maximillion. I’m sure you would have heard of us.” His voice contained all the pride he'd built up over the years, despite his anger.

The stranger looked confused and looked up to the sky as if he would find the answer there. “I haven’t. Are you guys famous or something?”

This was one of the many trials Fred had gone through over the years, first as a squire and now as captain. It didn’t get any easier, though he tried to be as enthusiastic as possible and not let it get him down. “We are renowned throughout the lands.”

“Hmmmm, still don’t recall who you guys are.” The guy flashed him an embarrassed grin and Fred managed not to groan, despite his urge to do just that. It wasn't his fault he supposed, though really, Fred wondered why he even bothered.

The knight forced a stiff smile onto his face. “It matters not I suppose. Who may you be?”

Without asking, the man took Fred's hand and gave it a firm handshake. “Roan du Lac of Highland.” Now that the knight thought about it, the man did seem to have a Highland accent.

“What are you doing here?” The guy didn't look like a fighter or a mage, then again, there were plenty who served as merchants and the like. But, he didn't look quite like a merchant, at least, not one with any experience.

“I’m engaged unfortunately to a young lady. You would know her, wait of course you would, since her very presence is impossible to ignore.” Fred nodded, wanting him to get on with it. “Lily Pendragon.” At the mention of that name, Fred found himself feeling sympathetic towards the other man.

Though, he was also thankful it wasn't him either. Being a knight errant had it's advantages, including a good excuse not to get married. “It is a hard matter, marrying for the sake of family and country.”

“You’re a psychic.” Actually, Fred just assumed that there could be no other reason why the lad would want to marry Lily. In fact, he was surprised the man hadn't given up his fortune and decided to run to a far of land.

“No. Not really.” He looked down at Juan who had stirred slightly. “In either case, I’d appreciate it if you would not bother the citizens of the castle.” He nodded and then started on his way.

A hand on his shoulder stopped him though. “Wait, let me come with you.” Fred grimaced, letting the smile he'd forced on his face drop.

“Unfortunately, I’m very busy.” Fred removed the hand from his shoulder trying not to look annoyed, though the frown on his face said otherwise.

Roan seemed to be oblivious to Fred's annoyance. Either that or he was drinking it up like a flower drunk up sunlight. “Oh come on. I wont be too much bother.”

Fred wasn’t too convinced, because the guy looked like nothing but trouble. Anyone of high borne status, other than then those of the knightly families and the lords of the land, were in his opinion more trouble than they were worth. “I am not doing anything of interest.”

“Let me be the judge of that.” Roan smirked at him, as if he knew something that Fred didn't at that moment.
________________________________________________________________________

“Ah ha! There you are, you ruffian!” Lily shouted as she pointed at Watari, who groaned to himself. “I need you to help me practice some more.”

“So that you can dance with your fiancée?” Now that he knew who it was for, Watari was damned if he was going to actually help. He was not getting involved in love problems that weren't his own, especially those that involved someone important to him.

Lily leapt back a few feet, holding a hand in front of her face, shock filling her eyes. She then pointed a finger at him, angry. “How did you know that?”

“I know him.” What was the point in lying? Roan might just decide to blab, if for no other reason then the boy had always been a little touched in the head.

It appeared to have been the last answer Lily was expecting and she balanced. “Y-you know him! How?”

“That’s none of your business.” Watari shrugged, leaning against the wall and staring up at the ceiling. He didn't care what either Pendragon or du Lac got themselves involved with. Especially not Roan.

After Lily realized she wasn't going to get any information, she turned around in a huff, crossing her arms. “Fine. I don’t need to know anyways.”

Even though he had said it wasn't his business, Watari felt a little bit of concern wash over him. “He's someone to be wary of.”

“Roan?” Lily started to laugh, a cross between a giggle and a snort. “He’s an idiot! A clumsy oaf!”

Watari shrugged, not really caring if Lily believed him or not. He wasn’t the one who was getting married to him, so it didn’t really matter to him. He started on his way, only to hear Lily's footsteps behind him. "Wait up! Just what are you claiming he did? Not that I care or anything. I just want a head's up in case I hear about any strange rumors."

"I can not divulge anymore than I have." Despite his training, Watari felt a bit smug suddenly. It was a childish impulse, but one he savored.

"Why you!" The angry in Lily's voice matched the intensity of her pace as she hurried to keep up with him.
________________________________________________________________________

Ayame and Landis had finally headed out the castle doors and almost instantly bumped into Fred and Roan. "Forgive me, Lady Ayame." Fred bowed and was about to swing right past the female ninja when he sensed a killing intent-directed towards Roan. He followed Ayame's eyes towards Roan's and saw that they were locked on to each other.

"Ayame, it's been a while."

“Where have you been?” There as a dark tone in Ayame’s voice, hiding barely concealed rage. It was more emotion than she almost ever showed, so it caught both Fred and Landis by surprise.

Fred leaned over towards Landis. “I think you have a bit of competition for your lady.” The knight whispered into the winger’s ear.

“They are not having a lover’s spat.” Landis was sullen and angry, his arms crossed, his head turned away from the scene, even has he was watching it out of the corner of his eyes. He didn’t even know this guy and he already hated him even more than he did Watari.

Roan seemed to be unphased by Ayame’s rage and merely grinned. “It’s good to see that you’re going alright, Ayame. I had no idea what happened to you after everything fell apart.”

The female ninja was resting her hand on a pocket, giving Roan the same steely eyed glare. “Don’t act so familiar.” Ayame pulled out a throwing knife and aimed it at Roan’s forehead. “What are you hear for?”

Fred was about to stop Ayame only to have Landis put a hand on his shoulder. “Let her skewer the fool.” Before Fred could tell off the winger, Roan stepped forward, a different air about him.

“Why, I’m just here to help out my fiancée, Ayame. You know how it goes. Us men of status and wealth are never free to do as we please.” There was something sinister in his tone that hadn't been there before.

“Are you trying to say that you didn’t come here for it?” Ayame had lowered the knife only slightly.

There was a look of confusion on Roan’s face. “What?” Ayame raised the knife was if to throw it. “Oh that. No, I would dream of going after that thing. I mean, people nearly died over that. Like Watari. Or wait, he’s alive, but still...”

“He will be dead when I’m done with him.” Ayame muttered as she put the dagger away. “You are no longer part of the group then?”

Roan waved dismissively, then yawned a little. “Naw. Those bastards pulled up shop and left along time ago, along with the masked man.”

Landis leaned over to Fred, so that he could speak to him and keep his voice lowered. "What do you think they're going on about?"

The knight grimaced at the feeling of the winger's breath on his ear. "I don't know, you're her boyfriend, are you not?" Even Fred wasn't an idiot when it came to something as obvious as the winger's obsession with Ayame.

"I only wish." The winger muttered, a bitter look on his face. Aside from his obvious crush on Ayame, it was well known that she disliked him, though Fred was surprised he hadn't made any headway, since it had seemed to the knight that a woman like Ayame would have killed a man like Landis by now if she didn't have some sort of affection for him.

"So, you're not after it?" Ayame's asked sharply and Roan only shook his head. As if a great weight had been lifted from them, Ayame's shoulders sagged, but just for a moment. "Then I have no need to talk to you." As if that satisfied her, she walked away, leaving Roan scratching his head.

"Some things never change. Her and Watari both." And suddenly, before either of them could blink, Landis had Roan by the collar of his shirt, a look of murder in the winger's eyes.

Before Fred get the winger off, he started to speak. "Just what are you to my little pet? Answer me Highlander before I feed you to the angel of death."

Roan laughed at them though, slowly unprying the clawed fingers from about his shirt. "Even now Ayame still has creepy guys going after her. Then again, you don't have a knife sticking out of your back, so maybe you're really a sweet, harmless boy next door type?"

Horrified, the winger leapt back. "I'm nothing of the sort!" Landis looked positively green and shaken. "Besides, I was asking about you and your talk of masked men!"

"I would like to know as well." Fred answered in a voice that made it clear that he wasn't asking, he was demanding. Such secrets could prove dangerous, if not to the lives of the inhabitants of the castle, than to the morale of the people involved. Also, if it involved Watari in anyway, he wanted to know, not that it was any of his business what the ninja had been up to in the past.

Brushing off his shirt, Roan sighed and his smile slipped away. "I suppose it doesn't make much of a difference who hears it now, though it isn't something that needs be spread around, if you know what I mean." He was smiling again now, the brightest smile Fred had ever seen on a person. "The story isn't' nearly as good as those of wars past or even the war going on right now, but it's still a story of war."