Suikoden Fan Fiction ❯ Love's Just a Form of Insanity ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 17

At that moment, as their lips touched, Watari had to conclude that all the twisted fantasies he'd had over the last few months had finally rotted his brain. Fred was not kissing him, because there was no way that the big, dumb defender of chivalry would do such a thing. This was obviously just a figment of Watari's imagination, though just in case, Watari pushed Fred back with a hard shove. He thought he heard Fred say something about giving people chances.

"What are you going on about?" He was sure that it was something incredibly stupid, since there was no intelligent reason for Fred to have kissed him, save for lust and Fred just wasn’t that sort. If he was, Watari wouldn't have been able to respect him and that aside, he would have taken his chances a long time ago.

Looking up at the ceiling as would a fidgety child who just wanted to end a conversation, Fred spoke. "I just think that someone should be there for you." Just as predicted, it was something stupid.

Watari blinked then groaned aloud. "I don't want pity from you. Don't force yourself to do something just to satisfy your stupid sense of nobility." Seeing the struck look on Fred's face, Watari wondered if he had perhaps gotten the knight's intentions wrong, but he pushed that thought aside. He had to be firm with the fool, since Fred was the type to become stubborn once an idea, no matter how obviously stupid, got ingrained in his head.

"I'm not doing it because of that. I am honestly interested in getting to know you and seeing what we have in common. If we are compatible, I would like to take our relationship further." Watari had to resist the urge to scoff at the word compatible. Even an idiot could tell that they weren't and he wasn't impressed by Fred's stupidity at the moment.

"Listen, I'm not interested anymore." It was a lie, but things were becoming too great a hassle for Watari to consider actually continuing on this course.

It was obvious by the way that Fred now crossed his arms that he wasn't pleased with Watari's response. "Don't be fickle." The fact that Fred of all people was talking about fickleness was a little too much to take.

No longer trying to make for the door, Watari crossed his arms and made sure his stance matched Fred's. "You're the one who is fickle." That seemed to take the steam right out of the knight, who looked deflated.

"How am I fickle?" Swearing that he could detect a slight whine to Fred's voice, Watari finally grabbed the door and pulled it open, stopping to favor the knight with a glance.

"You should be able to answer that yourself."

Letting Fred catch the door as he left the room, Watari was pleased to note some off duty guards walking down the hallway and was even more pleased when he saw that Fred noticed them as well. Even someone as dense as Fred had to appreciate the fact that the situation didn't need to be made worse than it was. "I wasn't being fickle." The lowness of Fred's voice confirmed Watari's conclusion. "You just confused me and I am over it now."

The fact that Fred would gloss over the way he'd reacted to Watari's kiss as mere confusion was laughable. "I am not over it." The ninja made sure that he said it as quietly as possible, with the maximum amount of possible bitterness inherent in every word.

"What?" The increased volume of Fred's voice caught the attention of the soldiers as the wandered by him, but they didn't stop walking right past the two of them, laughing drunkenly.

While he had never been a cruel person, at that moment, Watari felt it was time to be a little sadistic and play with the knight. "Did you expect me to wait forever?" It would have sounded girly if it had come from anyone else but him, though maybe it was still a little too girly.

In either case, it stopped Fred in his tracks, leaving him flustered. "No. But surely you have no reason to reject me?" The arrogance of the question and the stupidity presented within it was mind-blowing.

Yet, for some reason, his mouth was working against him. "No I don't."
________________________________________________________________________

Even as Roan was running from Landis, he managed to do so with a natural grace that his tall, gawky appearance belied. The way he was laughing only served to infuriate Landis further and he was determined to lop the man's head off, consequences be damned. He could be executed for murder and he wouldn't care.

As they continued running, they weren't aware of Kokoru following them until they heard a loud barking noise and saw that the dog was running along side Landis, keeping pace with the winger. "You want to hunt him with me, precious pet?"

"Not fair!" Roan shouted as he sped up, determined to escape the two of them. Onlookers weren't sure if they should try to stop the chase or let it go on, as they couldn’t' tell if it was a game or not.

The two ran long and far and it wasn't long before they'd left the castle. One of their watchers couldn't have been more happy when they had either. The only people who could cause him any trouble were gone for the moment and he could carry out his plan much more easily this way. Smirking to himself, Mike went off to find Ayame.
________________________________________________________________________

The female ninja had felt a strange sense of relief the moment she'd handed that vial over. Even though she had considered herself a font of strength, it really had been too much of a burden for Ayame. Between keeping the last of that potion and hunting down Watari, she'd become more weary than she had thought possible, even though she was still a young woman with her whole life ahead of her, as dangerous as it was.

As she walked down into the dungeons it was all she could do to keep from twirling around like a little girl in a brand new party dress. Even if there was no one around to see her, ninjas did not twirl. Well, maybe Watari did now a days, if his recent behavior was any indication. She was hoping that the war would end quickly so that she could put him out of his misery before he went fully and truly mad.

Walking into one of the empty jail cells, she sat against one of the cool, wooden benches, allowing herself this moment of relaxation. As children, members of the Black Wind were forced to sleep on the ground, often without blankets as a way to toughen up. Even years later, Ayame couldn't bring herself to enjoy a soft, comfortable bed or cozy blankets. Dark, dank stones were infinitely more comfortable than sitting by a cozy fire place.

Just as she was about to allow herself a rare reverie, Ayame heard the sharp click of boot heels turning a corner. While the sound was far from rare in this castle, there was something about the echo of the steps that aroused her warrior's intuition. Readying a knife, she got up slowly and was about ready to lose it, when a cold voice stopped her.

"I wouldn't be doing that if I were you, dear Ayame." It was a voice that took her back years ago, but when the speaker stepped out of the shadows, she got confused.
________________________________________________________________________

To be discontinued…

Even though this story is far from complete, I can't bring myself to finish it. There are a couple of reasons for this, but the main reason is that I'm no longer into the story and can't muster up the enthusiasm to write for it and I keep putting off this story, feeling that it takes my time away from fics that still excite me.

I apologize to those who have been with this story since the beginning and new readers who have just gotten into this. I was greatly encouraged by your reviews and happy that you gave this story a chance despite of or because of the pairing involved. Thank you for your time.