Suikoden Fan Fiction ❯ Not Alone ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
"Ro, Rome....o......"

What am I doing here? How did I ever let that weirdo talk me into starring in this play?

"I take thee at thy word: Call me but love, and I'll be new baptized; henceforth I never will be Romeo."

I can't believe this is happening! Playing Romeo to Lady Chris's Juliet!

"....."

What was my line again?

"The wings of love carried me easily over these walls."

Hmmm… perhaps Lady Chris needed more time to learn her lines.

"........................."

Well, at least Borus knows his lines.

"There lies more peril in your eyes than twenty of their swords: Give me but your sweet look, and I am proof against their enmity."

I certainly played this scene out in my head rather differently…

"The voices came from somewhere around here."

That little knight looks very disappointed. Poor human.

"Um, ummmm......"

I sincerely doubt that there is a castle anywhere in Zexen with guards that look like Dupa and Shiba…

"Oh, Mistress Juliet, I heard the sounds of people talking here..."

Actually I only heard one person talking.

"Ye... yes."

Thank the goddess we're only putting on one scene.

"I'm very sorry. Please forgive my rudeness."

Too bad the human hid. I would have liked to show off my skill in battle in front of this large audience.

"What is it? You got any complaints?"

I wish he would just leave already…

"Juliet, though we have only just been talking, must we part already?"

I could go on playing this part forever…

"Madam!"

When I said I wanted to act, I didn't mean as the nurse.

"I'm... I'm heading back inside."

Finally. I thought it would never end. But poor Louis… he has to be the nurse.

"Yet I feel sad a THOUSAND times over to see you go. If you love me, let me see your face once more."

Oh, do say you love me, Lady Chris!

"The producer sent me back on stage."

Damn him.

"Aaaah, Juliet, the one for me!!"

Lady Chris, there could never be another like you!

"Um, Ummmm...."

This has got to be the stupidest play on earth…Romeo is so pathetic.

"Madam! Come quickly!"

I wanted to be Romeo. Maybe next time.

"Um, ummm... does this mean I'm finally allowed off stage? ... Give me a break."

No wonder Juliet killed herself… she must have gotten bored.

"Sleep dwell upon your eyes, peace in your breast! In that peace and in that sleep I would also share, if I could only be at your side."

If only…

"I said, I'm hopeless as an actress..."

Huh, no wonder they booed. This play is awful. And maybe next time they won't force me onto the stage.



Borus shook his head as he heard the boos emanating from the audience. Well, that certainly didn't play out the way I had wished, the knight thought to himself. My performance was rather good though, or at least I thought it was. Wasn't too hard a part to play, he thought ruefully.

"Borus! Well, well, if it isn't our very own Romeo."

"Percival…"

"Excellent performance, if I may say so," the dark-haired knight said. "Didn't seem as though our Lady Chris was impressed, though."

"Thank you, for the part that I will choose to take as a compliment, Percival," Borus answered.

Suddenly a gruff voice rang out. "Borus! You know they're booing you back there!"

"Leo, I don't believe they're booing Borus in particular. Given the circumstances, I think he did rather well," the tall elf Roland said, walking up behind Leo.

"Yes, now, don't go being too hard on poor Borus, Leo. After all, he was truly acting from his heart, weren't you, Borus?"

The blond knight looked at Percival exasperatedly. "It was just a play. I acted as I saw fit. No need to make it out to be more than it was." Borus hoped he spoke confidently enough to hide the fact that he really hadn't been acting while he was on stage.

Percival chuckled. "Of course, sir, whatever you say. We all know Borus has only friendship for our dear Captain, don't we?"

Leo snorted. "Yes, and the Lizard Clan are really a very peaceful tribe."

"Now, now, what's going on over here?"

Borus almost visibly relaxed as he saw Salome walk up to join them. "The other knights are just mocking the play, that's all."

"That was harsh, Borus. We're merely offering our opinions, isn't that right, Roland?"

Roland shrugged in response to Percival's comment.

"Oh is that all?" Salome replied. "Actually, I was impressed, Borus. Although Lady Chris seemed not to know her lines very well…"

"She'd know them better if I were to play the part of Romeo, I think," Percival said nonchalantly.

"What was that, Percival?"

The knights turned abruptly at the sound of the voice. "Ah, Lady Chris! I was simply extolling the virtues of your remarkable performance!"

"'Remarkable performance'? That's a bit much even for you, isn't it, Percival? I think it's safe to say I'm better on the battlefield than on the stage," Chris answered with a laugh.

"But that's not to say we didn't all thoroughly enjoy seeing you spout those beautiful words upon that balcony-"

"Enough!" Chris said with a wave of her hand. "I'd prefer to wipe that experience from my memory, if you please. I'm just amazed that Borus could actually remember his lines. I certainly couldn't remember mine."

"Oh it was nothing, Lady Chris. I've read the play before, that's all."

"Yes, he practices it every night in front of the mirror, imagining the day that Lady Chris would be his Juliet."

"Percival!" Borus hissed. "Quiet!"

Luckily for Borus, Chris had been conversing with Salome and missed Percival's words. "I agree, Salome. I'll put together a party tomorrow and visit a few of the nearby areas. We can use all the help we can get."



Chris was startled awake by the sound of knocking at her door. She reluctantly returned to wakefulness. What was it she had been dreaming? It had seemed important… The knocking grew louder. "Yes, yes, I'm awake."

"I'm sorry to wake you, milady, but Salome hoped you would get an early start," came the slightly muffled sound of Louis's voice through the door.

"It's quite all right, Louis, I understand." Chris opened the door to reveal her young squire.

"I've laid out your armor for you, milady. Do you need anything else?"

"No, that's fine, thank you, Louis."

"Salome wishes for you to leave whenever you are ready, Lady Chris."

"All right, Louis. I'll just get ready and gather a few companions. Will you prepare my horse?"

"Of course, milady." Louis hurried off.

Chris smiled at his enthusiasm. Such a charming boy. She finished putting on her armor, picked up her sword, and went to find a party.



"So tell me, Borus, did you throw yourself at the part of Romeo when you found out that Lady Chris was going to be playing Juliet?"

"For the love of Sadie, Percival, are you still going on about that?" Borus was more than a little annoyed at the teasing of his best friend.

"I only want to know the details. After all, I know this must have been a momentous occasion for you," Percival innocently replied.

The blond knight could only scowl as he went to answer the door. "Ah, Lady Chris! I trust you slept well?"

"Yes, thank you, Borus."

"And the lady appears," Percival muttered under his breath.

"Is there anything I can do for you, Lady Chris? Perhaps you have need of my swordsmanship?"

"Yes, actually, that's why I'm here. Salome suggested I do some recruiting for our army, and I thought perhaps you and Percival might be interested."

"Of course! We would be delighted. When do we leave?"

"Just as soon as I can get a party together. Any suggestions?"

Percival quickly stepped forward, finally being able to get a word in. "What about that young knight, Fred? He certainly seems enthusiastic."

Chris laughed at that. "Yes, that may actually be an understatement. All right, so we'll take Fred and Rico. And I think I'll also ask that young girl, Sanae Y. She seems to really want to practice her skills."

"I could go get them, Lady Chris, so you can finish anything else you have to do," Borus offered.

"Thank you, Borus, that would be helpful. I'll meet you at the front of the castle, then." Chris made her exit.

"Ever so accommodating, aren't you, Borus?" Percival asked mockingly.

Borus just shrugged. "I do what I can to help her out, that's all. Maybe you're just jealous that I always think of it first."

"What? Me, jealous? Of you? Hah!" Percival spluttered, heading out after the shorter knight.



The small group of fighters gathered at the exit of the run-down castle that served as their headquarters. "The Maximillian Knights are at your service, Lady Chris!"

A short, brunette girl tugged at the taller dark-haired knight's shirt. "Master Fred, I think she knows we're at her service. She asked us, after all."

"I know that, Rico! I'm only stating my support. A good knight should always clearly state his allegiance to his lord," Fred said matter-of-factly.

"Oh, of course, Master!" Rico added conspiratorially to the young girl with large glasses standing beside her, "Master Fred is so smart! I always listen to what he says so that one day, I can be as great as him!"

Sanae Y. agreed, "Yes, he seems to know a great deal. I think my parents would approve of him. I shall watch him so that I may learn from him and become as great as my parents."



Late that night, Borus had a dream. He was sitting on a bed talking to a young woman. But, somehow, it wasn't him. He could feel the man's emotions, but he was clad all in blue, his sword was not his own, and he seemed to be rather taller than he should be. Borus did not recognize the woman, either. She was very beautiful, with long auburn hair and green eyes. She radiated an air of courage and strength, but she seemed very sad. Borus sensed by the tension in the room that these people were in a time of war. He could feel the blue-clad man's love for this woman, and also his desire to help her. He could not make out their words, for some reason, but he knew that the woman, who seemed to be the leader of their army, or whatever it was, was confiding in the man. Borus could feel how he reached out to her and spoke words of encouragement, as she spoke of great matters and hard tasks that must be done. Slowly the room faded out, and Borus slept dreamlessly.



That same night, Chris also dreamed. In fact, she dreamed of the same man and woman that Borus had. She looked down at herself, wearing a red cape and with a bow and a quiver of arrows slung across her back, and at the man all in blue next to her. He was handsome, with strong features, unruly brown hair, and clear blue eyes. Although Chris did not know who this man was, she felt oddly comforted by his presence. She felt that a great burden was upon her shoulders and that she was in the midst of making important decisions on which the fate of many lives would depend. And she knew that this man, this man she loved, would stand by her and help her in whatever way he could. Then the room faded out, and Chris slept, feeling more peaceful than she had in a long time.



Both Borus and Chris would recall their dreams vividly the next morning, neither guessing that the other had shared in it also.



Chris was standing on the ship at sunset, letting the array of colors wash over her face. She inhaled deeply, enjoying both the beauty and the serenity.

"I thought you would be inside planning our next move with the other commanders, Lady Chris."

The silver-haired knight turned around at the unexpected sound of another voice. "And I thought you would be honing your skills, Borus."

Borus laughed. "I did my training this morning, before anyone else woke up. I prefer the quiet."

"Yes, it is quite hard to get a moment to yourself around here these days. That is why I like to come out here. If I try hard enough, I can forget about all my problems, if only for a little while."

The fair-haired man inwardly ached to know what Chris's problems were, but outwardly he replied lightly, "I suppose that makes two of us, then. I was getting rather tired of listening to Percival alternately poke fun at me and talk about his many admirers."

That got a smile out of Chris. The two knights just stood for a while in the comfortable silence that comes from long companionship and mutual trust. The sky gradually darkened as night set in. Chris shivered.

"Are you cold, milady?"

"Oh, no, I think I just caught a bit of a chill. It must be from the lake being so nearby."

Borus nodded. They lapsed into silence again. Suddenly he couldn't resist any longer not asking Chris to confide in him. "If you don't mind my saying, Lady Chris, but you can talk to me, if you want," he said hesitantly.

"Talk to you?" Chris was puzzled.

"I mean to say, you don't have to keep all your worries inside, come out here to make them go away for a while. Perhaps all you need is an ear to listen?"

"Like that woman and the man in blue," Chris said softly.

"What?" Borus asked, surprised.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just a dream I had."

"About a woman confiding in a man dressed all in blue?"

Chris turned wide-eyed to the other knight. "Why, yes. How did you know?"

Borus was getting quite excited. "Because I had the same dream!"

"What do you mean you had the same dream? That's crazy!"

"No, it's not! Don't you see, it's a sign. I felt the emotions of the man, and I'm assuming you could feel the emotions of the woman. I could be your man in blue!"

"Borus, that's silly. It was just a coincidence. I don't need any 'man in blue,' whatever that means anyway. If you'll excuse me…"

Borus could only look after in mild shock as Chris hurried away from him. He was so sure that he had been right. How could she not see it? Disappointed, he returned inside. Perhaps he should put more thought into the meaning of the dreams. After all, he had only just found out Chris had had the same one as he. Maybe they only needed some time to work it out.



"Bit crowded tonight, isn't it?" Borus commented, looking around at the full tables in the tavern.

"Perhaps that means it'll be a good performance, then," Percival said, as they sat down at one of the few remaining empty tables.

Borus snorted. "I doubt it."

"Well, I believe Hugo's starring tonight. I've heard he's got some talent."

"Yes? Where'd you hear it from, the Karayans? What's this play about, anyway?"

"Who knows? In any case, if it's bad, we can just have a few drinks and I'm sure it'll all look better," Percival said with a smile.

Just then Ace poked his head out from behind the curtain. He scanned the room, obviously looking for someone. When he spotted the table full of mercenaries, plus Aila, he grinned and waved. "Hey guys! Don't drink too much or you'll miss my big scene!" he called out, before retreating back behind the curtain.

The two knights watched in amusement as Geddoe groaned and put his head down on the table. Joker ordered another drink. Queen shook her head. "Oh, brother."

Suddenly there was a disturbance as Anne ran over to the back of the room. "Sharon! What do you think you're doing?"

The young Dragon Knight smiled innocently. "Just getting ready to watch Futch in the play, that's all."

"You can't let that dragon in here!"

Borus and Percival noticed the huge dragon standing in the shadows. He roared, causing the very floor to shake.

"He only wants to watch Futch, too. You can't turn him out!"

Anne looked as though she wanted to argue, but she appeared afraid that Bright might attack her. She sighed. "All right then. But he causes any damage, it's on you!"

"Yeah, right," Sharon muttered. "Futch'll pay for that."

Percival turned to Borus. "Glad we came, now?"

The lights dimmed as the play started. The production was of Neclord's End, a story neither of the two knights were familiar with. Percival and Borus were startled to see Leo stumble through the narration. The two knights looked at one another. "Leo never told us he was in this play…"

"I wonder why," Percival replied.

First introduced was Neclord, played by Landis. Even the two Zexen Knights shuddered at the odd Winger.

Hugo, as Riou, was next to take the stage, to a burst of applause from the large group of Karayans that had shown up. Lucia could be heard above the other noise, proclaiming, "That's my son up there! You show 'em, Hugo!"

When Ace sauntered out, playing the part of Viktor, he gave a huge wink to the audience. Aila started cheering, and nudged Jacques. "Isn't he great?"

The reticent young man only shrugged. "……"

Futch entered then as Flik, to cat-calls from Sharon and a tail-thumping bellow from Bright.

Ayame played the part of the vampiress Sierra, shocking everyone with the fact that she actually said her lines.

As the play ended, Borus and Percival applauded loudly with the rest of the audience. They called out to Leo as he attempted to discretely move towards the door. Too bad he was blocked by a rather large dragon.

"Leo!"

Leo glared menacingly at Percival. "One more word and I will introduce your face to my axe."

Percival bowed ingratiatingly as the other knight left. "Such terrible manners," he commented to Borus. "Still, he got a much better reception than your play, huh, Borus?"

Borus groaned. He had thought he might have been able to get away without another comment from his friend about that night. Oh, well. "How about a drink, Percival?"

"Sounds good to me."



Borus spotted Chris the next morning as she was about to go visit Jeane, the Rune Sage. "Good morning, Lady Chris. How are you today?"

"Fine, thank you, Borus. Just a bit busy."

"Oh, of course. As the Flame Champion you have a lot of responsibility." Borus nodded. "Ah, Lady Chris, did you… did you think about what I said yesterday?" "Borus…"

"It's all right, Lady Chris. I just thought I'd ask." Borus tried to hide the disappointment that he felt.

Chris smiled and continued on her way.




"Having some trouble?"

Borus looked around to see the Karayan Chief Lucia walking towards him. "What makes you say that?" he asked harshly, not pleased to see that someone had noticed his last interaction with Chris.

"No need to be angry, I only want to help," Lucia said smoothly.

"Help? How could you possibly help, and why would you want to?"

"Ordinarily, I could care less about your romantic dealings, Sir Knight, but seeing as we're going to be spending some time together, I've taken an interest."

"Really?" Borus smirked.

"My, my, aren't you touchy? No wonder your Lady Chris ignores your advances."

"And what would you know about it?" The Swordsman of Rage was beginning to show the temper that so characterized him.

"Well, I must say I have some experience in matters of love, certainly more than you do. And as I told you, I've taken an interest in your… situation with Chris. Seeing as you're not receiving guidance from anyone else, I thought you might appreciate whatever you can get."

Borus resigned himself to the fact that Lucia was not going anywhere until she'd had her say. And reluctant as he was to admit it, it would be nice to talk to someone who could perhaps understand. "What have you to say, then?"

"Only that it's obvious Chris fancies you."

"What?" The knight certainly hadn't been expecting to hear that from the woman who only weeks ago had been his enemy.

Lucia smiled. "Oh, yes. A woman can tell, you know. Why else would she anger so easily? I guess all I can tell you is, eventually she'll come around. She's stubborn, so be prepared for it to take awhile. But trust me, it'll happen."

Borus could only nod, as he digested this new information. A seed of hope long forgotten sprang up again within him. Could she really love him? He had given up on that ever happening long ago.

"One more thing- if I were Chris," Lucia whispered in Borus's ear, "I would never have been able to resist that pretty face of yours, not to mention," she raked her eyes openly over Borus's form, "well, you know." Borus stared as she retreated, mouth hanging open in astonishment.



Borus sat in the tavern by himself with a glass of wine. He pondered the events of the last few days, debating whether it would be a good idea to drink himself into a state of forgetfulness. He glanced up at the sound of another chair being pulled out at his table. He groaned at the sight of his companion. I really don't need this right now, he thought to himself.

"Should have known you'd be at the tavern, eh, Borus?" came the mocking voice of Percival.

Borus was in no mood to deal with his friend's banter. "At least I can hold my liquor," he half-heartedly replied.

Percival noted the other knight's tone. "Drinking away your troubles? Let me guess… Chris has once again failed to take note of your blundering advances? Oh wait, that's right, you have only friendly concern for her, and not a single amorous thought." He didn't even get a response. "What, aren't you going to tell me to be quiet? No hissed 'Percival!' or fierce glare?"

Borus merely continued to stare at his drink.

"All right, I'll be a good friend now. What's wrong?"

"I'm fine."

"No, you're not fine, obviously. If you were, by now my bit of annoyance would have sparked your famous temper. So tell me, what's upsetting you?" Percival was getting genuinely worried.

"It's not your concern. You'd only ridicule me anyway."

"Well, maybe so… but that's beside the point. Perhaps I can help."

Borus sighed resignedly. "All right then. I had a dream, Lady Chris had the same one, I suggested perhaps that we were linked, and she fled from my presence. Now will you leave me be?"

The brunette gaped at Borus for a few seconds. Shaking his head as if to clear it, he said, "I'm sorry, but could you repeat that one more time? And this time, say it so it makes at least a little sense?"

"But that's it. I dreamed of a man and a woman, as did Chris. The woman was unburdening herself to the man. I thought that the two of us having the same dream must signify something, so I offered to lend an ear to Lady Chris. She refused. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Apparently I'm so pathetic that even Lucia noticed."

He tried to hold back, he really did. But Percival burst out in laughter anyway. "My dear Borus! Are you sure you weren't drunk when you came up with that story? I think you should put down the rest of that glass."

Borus was offended. "You think I fabricated it? You see why I don't like to tell you these things, Percival?" He became irate as Percival continued to laugh. "Are you quite finished?"

"Yes, yes, sorry." The handsome dark-haired knight managed to calm down. "It's just so dreadfully funny. You should tell it to Arthur, he'd love it for a story!"

"Glad someone finds it amusing, because I certainly don't!" Borus stormed out of the tavern. Percival watched him go, now a thoughtful expression on his face.