Suikoden Fan Fiction ❯ Not Alone ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
<i>A Few Days Later<i>

“I thought I’d find you here.”

“Borus…”

Borus leaned on the side of the ship next to Chris and stared out at the lake. “It’s beautiful, don’t you think? The way the sun reflects off the water.”

“Borus, I know you didn’t come out here to talk about the view.”

“Oh, didn’t I? Must I always have some ulterior motive? I can’t just enjoy the company of a beautiful woman?”

Chris put a hand to her forehead exasperatedly. “Please, Borus, I don’t want to argue.”

The fair-haired knight turned to look at Chris. “Don’t you see? That’s not what I want either! All I want is to help you. Sure the dreams prompted it, and they’re not going away, but forget about that for a moment. I worry about you. You and Percival and the other knights are the closest friends I have. Why won’t you let me in?”

Oh, what the hell… “I’ve been so used to keeping things to myself. A knight mustn’t show weakness. That would undermine my position. I need to be strong, for myself, for Zexen, now for the Grasslands too.” She paused. Borus silently waited for her to continue, knowing that if he said anything, she would probably run off again.

“I never asked to be a hero. All I wanted was to be able to serve my country, help the people that I love. I wanted to be as brave as the father I barely knew. I don’t want to be the ‘Silver Maiden,’ or go to parades in my honor like some sort of show horse. I certainly don’t want every male in the country practically kissing the ground in front of me.” Borus had the sense to at least look ashamed at that.

Chris continued, “The last thing I ever expected was to volunteer to lead this huge army into a war I sometimes wonder if we can win. I can give rousing speeches and endorse plans of attack, but that doesn’t mean I have faith myself. It’s just so hard, sometimes…”

“But don’t you see?” Borus interjected when she seemed finished. “That’s what I’m here for. And the other Mighty Knights. We want to help you. Disclosing your feelings doesn’t make you weak, it can only make you stronger. Let me give you strength when you feel like you can’t go on. Lady Chris, I…”

He knew he shouldn’t say it, he’d ruin everything he’d gained tonight, but when Chris gazed at him with her lavender-hued eyes, he couldn’t stop it. His brown eyes met hers as he admitted it for the first time. “Lady Chris, I… I love you.”

She stood stunned for a moment. “Borus, don’t, please don’t.”

“No, wait! Here me out. I’ve loved you since the moment I first laid eyes on you. We were only children then, squires, who knew nothing of the real world. But as we grew, I could see your spirit, your courage, everything that is good about you. I saw you struggle in a world made for men and I saw you come out on top. And don’t… don’t say you don’t feel it, because you do! I know you do, if you’d only admit it.”

Chris couldn’t take it anymore. Too many feelings were running through her head, she couldn’t sort them out, she didn’t know what she felt. Except that she couldn’t breathe, she felt stifled, and she had to go. She turned to run but Borus was too quick. He grabbed hold of her arm.

“If you don’t feel it, then stop me.” He kissed her then, passionate and full of emotion, showing none of the fear that threatened to overwhelm him. He grew bolder as Chris kissed him back. It seemed to go on for an age, and yet only a split-second- he’d waited so long for this… Suddenly she pulled away from him. Her eyes were wide with disbelief. She put a hand over her mouth and wrested her other arm from Borus’s grasp.

Borus felt slightly intoxicated. Then came the all too familiar sight as he watched his love dash off back to the castle. He hadn’t even tried to stop her. He sank down onto the ship’s deck, thinking, where do we go from here?

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Unbeknownst to the two young knights on the ship, someone had been watching them. Percival had hoped to catch Borus alone. He felt like doing a bit of training. He hadn’t expected to find Borus and Chris conversing.

He hadn’t meant to spy on them, but when he overhead what they were talking about, he felt he shouldn’t interrupt. He was leaving until those three fated little words were said. He’d turned back and hid against a wall. And then he’d seen it. Percival’s worst nightmare. Borus kissed Lady Chris, and she had kissed him back! He ran then, not wanting to see anymore.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Chris retreated to her bedroom. What was that? How dare he take advantage of her like that! Borus, with his kind words, manipulating her into sharing feelings that she shared with no one…All because of a few stupid dreams.

Chris paced around the room, alternately sitting down on the bed only to jump up again moments later. She didn’t love him. She couldn’t. She was his superior, after all! She still couldn’t believe that he had kissed her. And she had actually enjoyed it… No! What was she thinking? It was wrong, very wrong. And it would not happen again.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Borus wearily made his way back to the room he shared with Percival. He found Percival sitting on his bed, staring at a spot on the wall. He stunk of alcohol, but Borus decided to ignore it. After all, he was probably going to get completely drunk that night himself, anyway.

“Aren’t you spending the night with your new lover, Borus?” Percival asked dully.

“What?” Borus asked, confused. “No time for jokes. I need to talk to you.”

“Is that right? Well, maybe you should find someone else. I don’t feel like talking.”

“Percival, you’re my best friend, and there’s something huge I need to get off my chest. So just hear me out, won’t you?”

“Maybe I don’t want to hear it!” Percival exploded, leaping upright.

Borus was shocked. Percival was ordinarily so low-key. “What’s the matter with you?”

“Figure it out.”

With that, Borus was left completely bewildered, alone in the room. And I thought my day was bad, he thought.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

<i>The Next Day<i>

Chris often frequented the library. She liked to look at the musty old books, that spoke of anything and everything from recipes to the True Runes to treasure. Eike, the librarian, was a bit scary at first glance, but he was nice, Chris supposed, once you got to know him. Ace was there today as well. Chris hadn’t pegged the mercenary to be one for books, but he actually spent a lot of time in the library. She noted his selection this time was some sort of adventure novel.

She picked up a book about the Toran Liberation War and settled down to read. It was interesting to think that people she knew had been involved in it, like Viki and Futch, Apple and Jeane. It seemed odd to imagine Toran under foreign rule. Chris had only visited there once, long ago, but the capital city was beautiful and bustling with life. Suddenly she paused, staring at a picture. No. It couldn’t be. It was impossible. But it was. Chris was looking at a picture of the man and woman from her dreams. She glanced at the caption. Flik and Odessa Silverberg.

Quickly Chris began flipping through the pages, searching for their names. So she was right. They had been lovers, and Odessa was the leader of the rebellion. But she had been murdered early on in the war, even then thinking of the cause, as she had her followers hide her body so word of her death would not leak out. Flik was absent when it happened and never forgave himself for it. Such a sad tale. I guess I only got the nice bits in my dreams, she thought ruefully.

But this only served to complicate matters. The dreams were real, the people were real. What did it all mean? She knew she should tell Borus, but she didn’t feel like talking to him at the moment. Wait! Of course, why hadn’t she thought of it earlier? She could go ask Yuiri at Alma Kinan. Surely she would know of such things! Chris practically fled the room in excitement, leaving behind a very disgruntled Eike, angry at the noise.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

<i>In the Meeting Hall<i>

Chris sighed. "Very well. I shall go to Brass Castle as the Council wishes."

At that moment, the door opened and Borus stepped in. “I’m sorry for interrupting, but I would like to accompany Lady Chris.”

Chris was incredulous. “What? No, I don’t think-”

Salome took a step forward. “Wait, Lady Chris, I think that would be a very good idea. In case you run into any trouble, Borus could back you up.”

“Right then, shall we be going?” Borus held the door open and waited for Chris.

Chris didn’t look at him as she said with forced politeness, “You go ahead, Borus. I need to ask Salome something.”

“As you wish,” Borus said with as much mock civility, as he exited the room.

Chris looked at Salome. “I’d like to also make a stop in Alma Kinan. I’ve just had an interesting discovery…”

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Chris, Borus, little Viki, Futch, Bright, and Sharon set out about an hour later. They walked across the Yaza Plain, only encountering a few weak enemies. Borus was clearly avoiding Chris, but that didn’t mean she wasn’t going to speak to him.

“What do you think you’re doing? There was no need for you to come with. In fact, it would have been really nice if you hadn’t!”

Borus started walking a little faster. “Salome thought it was a good idea.” Chris scowled. “Just because you’re angry with me because you can’t face your feelings doesn’t mean I’m going to stay behind while you do all the fighting.”

Chris was incredulous. “How dare you presume to know what I feel!”

“Someone has to do it, since obviously you can’t see it for yourself.”

“I can’t believe we’re still having this conversation!”

The other knight shrugged. “Seems to me that you’re the one who came over to talk in the first place.”

Chris flushed in anger. However, Borus had already walked off before she could say anything. She decided to let it go for the moment, as they’d reached their destination.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

<i>In Kuput Forest<i>

Chris crouched on the ground, breathing heavily. That witch… How could she have lost the True Fire Rune? She ached all over. She wasn’t sure if she could stand.

Borus limped over to Chris’s huddled form. “Lady Chris? Are you all right?”

She hadn’t the energy to be upset at Borus right then. “I’m not sure… I feel as though the Rune was ripped from my body.” Chris laughed grimly. “I suppose that’s because it was.”

“Maybe you should just rest a moment…”

“No! I can’t. I’ve got to go back to the castle. They’ll be coming for Hugo.” Chris shrugged off Borus’s arm, but was forced to accept his assistance when she couldn’t stand on her own.

“Are you sure you’re up to it, milady?” Borus asked worriedly.

Chris nodded resolutely. “We’ll need reinforcements.”

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

<i>Back at Lake Castle<i>

Salome found Borus sitting on the fence in front of the stables. He took in the other man’s solemn expression. “Something on your mind, Borus?”

Borus looked up. “Salome,” he said by way of greeting.

Salome could tell Borus was formulating what to say. He didn’t try to push.

After a few moments had passed, Borus spoke up. “Lady Chris isn’t too pleased with me.”

The older man nodded. “I’d surmised as much. She gave me a rather unpleasant look when I agreed you should accompany her to Brass Castle and Alma Kinan Village. What exactly is the problem?”

Borus sighed. “I suppose I pried too much into her life. All I want is to help, but she won’t have it. I just… I thought that those dreams meant something. She needs someone, and I thought that maybe the dreams would help her to see it. Perhaps not.”

“I agree with you, Borus. She has too much to deal with on her own. She barely even speaks to me any more, except for matters of strategy. You may be right about those dreams, especially now that Lady Chris has discovered that they are about real people.”

“What?” Borus was puzzled. “Real people?”

Salome looked surprised. “You mean you didn’t know?” Borus shook his head. “Well. Lady Chris must really be upset with you. She saw their pictures in a book in the library.” Salome told Borus the story.

“That is interesting,” Borus said. “So that’s why she wanted to go to Alma Kinan. Perhaps if she ever talks to one of those women she’ll see my point.” He sounded disbelieving. “That’s if she ever gets around to it now.”

Salome tried to look reassuring. “I’m sure it’ll all work out.” To himself, he thought, I hope you work it out, Borus, but not in the way you want. Forgive me, Sadie, that is selfish of me, but I need to hang onto whatever hope I have, just as he does.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Blood. All over, on his sword, on his hands. The stench of it hung in the air. The bodies were littered all around him. Innocents. Women and children. Killed, by his hand. The rage was fading, guilt and shame filling the void. What had he done? He could feel the tears course down, mixing with the sweat already on his face. And the blood. Everywhere, the blood.

Borus awoke with a start. He lay shivering in his bed, unable to banish the images from his mind. He had the nightmares almost every night. As he should. Murderer.

He rolled over and tried to concentrate on the sound of Percival softly snoring in the next bed. Anything to make him forget. But he could never forget.

Murderer.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Borus was sleeping fitfully when the second dream began. He could hear the loveliest voice he had ever heard singing softly to him. He knew instinctively that it was another dream of Flik and Odessa. But it was different. He was alone. Flik was alone. This must be after Odessa had died. He felt an overwhelming sadness, mixed with self-loathing. But still the song went on. He could hear the words, singing into his soul.

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away

Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Odessa was singing to him. He could feel Flik responding. She was giving him the strength to go on, just as he had always done for her.

Hope fades
Into the world of night
Through shadows falling
Out of memory and time
Don't say: “We have come now to the end”
White shores are calling
You and I will meet again

And you'll be here in my arms
Just sleeping

Borus himself visibly relaxed as Odessa’s song worked its effect. He could sense her smiling gently down upon the man she had lost, willing him to be happy again.

________________________________________________________________________ _________________

Yuiri and Yumi were standing over next to the stairs in the castle lobby. Chris walked over to them, determined to solve the mystery of the dreams once and for all.

“Chris! It’s so good to see you again!” The elder of the two Alma Kinan women exclaimed. “May the spirits bless you!”

“Yumi, Yuiri. I’m glad to see you are both well.”

“Oh, yes!” Yumi said excitedly. “We are honored to be here to join in the Fire Bringer. There are so many different people here!”

Chris smiled. “You’re right there, Yumi. I appreciate you both leaving your village to help us. Your fighters were most helpful in the attack at Brass Castle.”

“It’s no trouble at all. After all, Alma Kinan fought with the original Flame Champion.” Yuiri frowned. “But something tells me you are not here to welcome us, Chris. You are troubled.”

Chris looked away for a moment. “I should have known I couldn’t fool you, Yuiri. There is something bothering me. I think you can help.”

Yuiri nodded. “I would be happy to help.”

“You see…” How to begin? “I’ve been having these dreams. And Borus, one of the other knights, has been having them too. They seem so real, different from anything I’ve experienced. Basically, they’re about a man and a woman, Flik and Odessa. Who, by the way, I discovered actually lived. Flik may still be living, for all I know. They were lovers in a time of war. Odessa was the leader of their army. She turned to Flik for support, comfort… She told him everything. And he gave her whatever he could. Borus believes that the dreams are meant to be symbolic, I suppose. But I…”

Yuiri studied Chris thoughtfully. “Chris, you don’t need me to tell you anything. The spirits are sending you a message, but it’s up to you to decide what it means. You already know, I think. You’re only afraid to admit it.”

Chris remained silent.

Yumi spoke up. “Chris, you are strong. You have powerful emotions, as you displayed when you tried to stop Yun. But you need to listen more. Listen to yourself, to your heart, or you will lose sight of what is important. Don’t be afraid.”

It was as if a veil was lifted from Chris’s eyes. She knew what she had to do. And she realized she had known it for a long time now. She smiled at her friends. “Thank you,” she said, as she left to complete perhaps the hardest and most important task of her young life.