Suikoden Fan Fiction ❯ To Be Strong ❯ Makai ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
To Be Strong - Makai

It's like a disease, the love of the people. It's infectious and it digs under your skin and makes you itch. It makes you act. Or, at least it would if I had the love of the people. They expect me to be fearless, like Ridley. Or benevolent, like Teresa. Or even commanding, like Gustav. But, I'm none of these, at least to them. To them, I'm a weak-willed coward.

I thought I could make them love me by giving them freedom. Freedom to do whatever they wished without fear of interference from the high councils. However, this led to theft and other crimes, mostly perpetrated by the wingers. So, the people demanded action and the councils acted. They passed laws and I dutifully enforced them; but, they still weren't satisfied. I was now encroaching on their freedom, the very freedom I had previously given them before they asked for stricter laws. I couldn't win. I can never win. Ridley has the love of his people; I have nothing.

Yesterday, something vital to the well-being of Jowston was brought to my attention. Chaco, the precocious little winger, crashed through one of my windows, a note held in his grubbly hand. He dashed it to the floor, grinned, and then departed much as he had arrived before I could inquire as to who the message was from. I reached down and lifted it from the ground, opening and perusing it quickly. Fitcher had called a Jowston Hill meeting. An unidentified enemy had attacked a border village, and, by all accounts, seemed intent on pushing further into our land. The city-state was--is in dire trouble.

It was expected by all the mayors that, though Highland might be under our control, a new force would rise and challenge us. We had our moment of glory; it was now someone else's turn in the spotlight. We would not knuckle under so easily, however. We never have.

So, I sit here now, waiting for Teresa to arrive. She send notice earlier that she would stop in Two River so that we may travel together to Muse. I look forward to the trip. Teresa is one of the most intelligent and well-spoken mayors any city of Jowston has ever had. She truly is worthy of all the respect she is given.

I hope this meeting won't last more than a few days. Two River needs me, though it might not believe as such, and I do more harm than good to my citizens by staying away from the city for long periods of time. I have to be strong for them, now more than ever. If these aggressors are as vicious as Fitcher stated in his notice, then we'll need all the strength we have. I can't give in to the pressure from the councils, and I can't rely on them to take action any longer. For the love of the people, festering in the city that I cherish above all things, I will be strong.