Super Mario Brothers: Peach-hime Kyuushutsu Daisakusen Fan Fiction ❯ Yoshi Chronicles: Lizard Hazard ❯ The Journey Begins ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
PKMNTrainerMusashi: Hilo! Welcome to my second Yoshi-centric story! Anyways if you haven't read the summary, this story is an adventurous Yoshi-centric story, and it follows a sort-of RPG point-of-view. It's the first story I've written in this way, which I think makes it special.
-------------------------------------------------------------- ----- ----------------------------
Yoshi Chronicles: Lizard Hazard
One: The Journey Begins
It was yet another dull day in the Mushroom Kingdom. Of course, it was sunny, like it was most of the time. How I was bored of sunny days. Speaking of which, I went to Delfino the other day, and guess what? It was sunny. Sometimes I'm glad the castle has a dark basement. Which is where I am now. At least, until someone comes to disturb me.

"Yoshi? Yoshi, are you down here?"

How did I know that was going to happen?

"Hi, Peach."

"Oh, Yoshi. Everyone is looking for you. We all have something we need to tell you."

"I see. What about?"

"Family matters. I am afraid it is bad news."

I hastily got up. What could be so bad about my family? Did someone die? I have good people in my family. I don't want to lose any of them. Unless you count that guy that was twice removed. I don't even know who he is, but my dad always told me to stay away from him. How am I supposed to when I don't know who he is? He must've been really evil if I don't know who he is and I'm supposed to avoid him. I'm guessing Peach was referring to this person.

"Okay, I'll be right there."

"Oh goodness, Yoshi..."

She began to weep. I was about to ask her what was so terrible, but she ran upstairs. I hurried after her. What could be so upsetting that it made Peach cry? Sure, she's delicate, but seriously, could he be that vile? I arrived in the main hall. It was a truly incredible sight. Horrible, but incredible. The room was in ruins. It was covered in ash and smoldering chunks of what used to be wall. The ceiling was gone, the chandelier that used to hang there now on the floor, shattered. The ugly plaid tiling was severely scorched and chipped in several places. A couple of indistinguishable items were melted and partially on fire. The beautiful golden doors were now an horrid gray. Bricks still crumbled from the broken walls and shattered glass scattered the floor. Was I asleep through this whole event?

"What did this?!"

I was astounded. What happened to this once gleaming room? Mario walked up to me and handed me a note.

"Wha--"

"It's from Bowser."

"What could he possibly want?"

I put on a scowl and Mario gestured toward the note. I took a look briefly.

'Dear unimportant inferior beings: I have attacked the castle--'

Well, I think we know that, dummy.

'--in hopes of finding my nephew, Yoshi. I happen to know he is in the castle, along with others. Bring him to me at once, or let him go on his own accord. Either way, he must be here 1:00 this afternoon or what I have done to the castle will be done to the kingdom.'

Nephew? I can't be his nephew! How couldn't I know of this? Then it dawned on me. The member twice removed from my family must have been Bowser. I've been against my uncle all this time? I had no idea why this made such an impact on me, but it did. I turned to Peach.

"What time is it?"

"You cannot possibly go! It must be a trap, as I see no way you two could be related..."

"Can't you? It's possible, but just barely. I have to go. I don't want this to happen to the kingdom, because then, everyone would have nowhere to go but to Bowser anyway. I might as well go myself instead of having thousands go with me. I ask you again, what time is it?"

Peach took a look at her wristwatch. "It is broken..." I could tell she was lying. I repeated sternly, "What time is it?"

She gave me a worried sort of look and replied quietly, "It is eleven thirty-five. Please, if you go, take some supplies from my armory. It is the door on the right when you enter the corridor through the double-doors. Well, if it was not destroyed, it should be. Take whatever you find that is not greatly damaged."

I nodded to her and climbed the red-gray carpeted stairway. I almost slipped on the soot once, but quickly caught myself. I entered the doorway through the used-to-be-golden double-doors and turned right, opening the door that read 'armory' in red on a star. I was amazed at how many suits of armor there were. There must be hundreds, I thought. But they were all wrecked. I found a cheap leather guard on the floor, next to some broken chest plates. I walked over all the clutter and found another door. This one read 'Weaponry'.

I opened the door cautiously and was almost killed by a falling mace. I immediately side-stepped into the room, dodging the mace and tripping over a staff of some sort. It looked cheap, just a wooden stick decorated with a tarnished gem on top in the shape of a star. I guess it was for a magician or sage, and it probably uses star magic. I picked it up and took it anyway.

After searching for the door I came through, which I never found, I wound up in a room full of hats, of all things. I looked closer and found a couple iron helmets, but they were all charred and out of shape. I did happen to find a little snakeskin hat, which fit snugly. It'll at least provide some protection, I thought.I took one last look at the room, to make sure there wasn't anything else I may need, and took a door that led to the other side of the hallway I had entered the armory in.

"What a weird castle." I walk through the double-doors and down the stairs."You look nice. I see you have found armor that is not damaged. And even a...well, it looks like a beginner mage's staff. You cannot use star magic, though, can you?"I was surprised at that. It had never occurred to me that I couldn't use star magic...I'll have to go back to the weaponry room and get a sword or something. My tongue wasn't going to cut it anymore; Bowser had gained some awfully powerful allies.

As I turned to go, Peach stopped me."So you cannot. Well, I happen to have this--" she took out a beautiful golden star, "--and you can have it. It is not the only one I own, so I can part with it without hesitation. Just make sure you give it plenty of rest, or it will burn out its magic supply."

I took the star with a "Thanks," and pocketed it in my leather guard. It fit easily, as it can shrink if it feels it should. Peach gave a disapproving look."Now then, you shan't think it would go there. How will you channel its magic?" She took it out of my pocket delicately, making me blush a little at the contact. I had never been touched by her in places other than the top of my head, which she would pet affectionately now and then, saying things like 'keep up the good work' and 'stay out of trouble'.

She placed the star near the staff's gem and it floated into it, its glow showing through the jewel. The star grew until it could fit snugly, making the gem star look like a real star.I looked at the staff in awe. "It's brilliant," I could only manage to say. I snapped out of my trance quickly and asked the all-important question: "What time is it?"

Peach smiled a bit and glanced at her watch. "Eleven fifty-eight. I will have my toads escort you." She gestured toward her toads, who bowed at being acknowledged."No, thanks. I'll go alone. If I show up with toads, he'll think I'm up to something." She walked up to me and handed me a necklace of some kind. "What is this? Some sort of amulet?" I was joking, of course, but she nodded.

"Precisely what it is. It will enhance your star magic, and make the star able to use more magic than usual, letting you be able to cast more magic. Also I will teach you an spell, unless you know any of your own?" I shook my head, and she continued.

"I did not think so. This spell is really effective on creatures with shells. Spinies, Koopas, and the like. It is called 'Rock Slide'.""How do I use it?" I asked automatically. She closed her hand around my one that was holding the staff. I blushed a bit more, having never held anyone's hand.She laughed a little and said, "Let me show you." She raised our hands slightly. "What you have to do is raise the staff a little, like this. Then the star will start to glow." The star started glowing. "Then you say what you want to cast."

She lowered our hands and the staff, and backed away a little. "Kooper, come here for a minute." A blue-shelled Koopa walked up to her. "Yes, your highness?" She looked toward me. "Yoshi, I want you to cast 'Rock Slide upon Kooper here." The blue-shelled Koopa shot me a worried glance."Won't I hurt him?" I asked, trying to save the Koopa from pain. She shook her head. "If he is in his shell, the damage will double, and he will be seriously hurt. Other than that, no, it will not hurt him." Kooper sighed of relief, then nodded, obviously ready.

I raised the staff, and the star began to glow. "Uh...Rock Slide?" I said incompetently. Nothing happened. Mario snickered a bit, as did Kooper. I frowned slightly and repeated the incantation, with more confidence. "Rock Slide!" Suddenly the ground shook slightly, and a hole formed under Kooper from nowhere. Kooper fell in and hit the jagged surface below. Rocks came from the sides and fell onto him. That'll teach him to laugh.

"I'm okay!" Came the muffled voice of Kooper. "A little help would be nice, though."I shot a threatening glance at Mario, who was still snickering. He immediately stopped. "Now that you have mastered casting a spell, you are able to defend yourself. Go, without hesitation, as it is twelve...twelve."

"Twelve twelve? That's funny." I chuckled at Peach's comment. She ran to me and huggged me. I returned the hug, as she said, "Good luck, Yoshi." With that, she let go and took a couple of steps backward. I turned around and walked out of the entrance. "Good bye, everyone."

"Have a safe journey, Yoshi!" I could hear Peach's voice cracking a little. As I walked into the distance, and smiled as I heard Kooper's words: "Seriously! An ambulance please!"
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------
PKMNTM: So what do you think? Good, bad? Tell me, I'm dying to know! Flames shall be put out with...well when Yoshi learns a water-type spell, I'll put them out with that!