Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Samuel Michaels ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Supernatural.
Stupid internet. Keeps telling me there is something wrong with the DSL connection but as far as I can tell its fine. Urgh!!! So no idea when this will get posted. Nearly 2 weeks without net is horrible.
 
Chapter 4
 
“I am the last of the Vrykolakas.”
 
Dean stared at Sam as he rolled that term through his mind. It was an old word, not Latin or English though it sounded vaguely familiar. He went over what he'd seen and it hit him like a punch to the gut.
 
“Vampire.” Dean spat, searching for a knife with his eyes.
 
“Not the type you are thinking of. We are different to them in a lot of ways. Think about it Dean, you've seen me eat and I am not bothered even a little by sunlight. I've patched your wounds without trying to drink your blood, something the vampires you know would never be able to do.” Sam explained, trying to get through to Dean. He snorted in disbelief.
 
“Why should I believe anything you say?” He spat bitterly and Samuel sighed tiredly.
 
“Have I ever given you reason not to trust me? I've watched over you since before you were born Dean. I was the one to give your parents a lift to the hospital after your father broke down. I was in the waiting room while Mary gave birth. I protected you when you were a child and helped you occasionally. I pulled back after your brother was born because I thought you had detected me. You picked the name Samuel for the baby so I watched from farther away. I knew Azazel was targeting your family but I made the mistake of leaving to hunt and not getting anyone to watch over you while I was gone. And your family paid the price for my mistake.” Dean stared at him as Sam explained.
 
“So you're not...” Dean closed his eyes as his hopes were crushed. Though the thought of his baby brother being some creature had not been comforting at least he would have had him, if he could bring himself to let him live. But if Sam had been his Sammy, Dean doubted he'd have been able to kill him, no matter what he was.
 
“I'm not what Dean?” Sam asked gently, sensing Dean's distress.
 
“Not him.” Dean answered softly, his gaze finally dropping from Sam's. Sam frowned and then realisation hit.
 
“You thought I was your brother.” Sam breathed in shock. It made sense though and Sam's current id would have done nothing to dispel Dean's slim hopes. Sam swallowed and closed his eyes.
 
“I'm sorry Dean but Samuel Winchester is dead. I tried to save him but he was already dead when I pulled him from the nursery. He is buried beside your mother.” Sam told him gently, moving slowly close enough to lay a comforting hand over Dean's arm, ignoring the now loosely held gun. But his touch snapped Dean out of his grief and his grip tightened on the gun.
 
“Then who are you?” Dean demanded.
 
“Your friend. Azazel is a high ranking demon. Every few generations he chooses a group of children and gives them his blood. If he's interrupted that person dies, pinned to the ceiling above the baby.”
 
“Mom.” Dean said and Sam nodded.
 
“He marked your brother and Mary interrupted. I've never heard of the child dying in the fire before though. He wanted Sam but your father dragging you into hunting has kept his attention on your family. And now he wants you, I'm not sure what for since you aren't tainted. That's why I came back, to protect you. If he succeeds...it's the end for humanity and those of us who side with it. I have seen and thwarted his plans for centuries, as have others but this time things have changed. I will not let him have you Dean, I promise.”
 
“You still haven't told me exactly what you are.” But Dean's grip on the gun had loosened again as he stared down at the younger appearing man kneeling beside him.
 
“I am Vrykolakas. As you guessed the word translates to vampire. But I am nothing like the creatures we hunted that night.” Sam gently took Dean's hand and placed it on his chest, letting the Hunter feel his heart beating and the warmth of his body.
“I do drink blood, as you saw tonight, but not much and nowhere near as often as those others do. I took only a few mouthfuls from that girl tonight and as you saw she felt no pain, quite the opposite in fact. Exposure to my blood won't change you either. I was born this way, my mother was human but my father was Vrykolakas, another difference between our kinds.”
 
Dean looked carefully at Sam, trying to judge his honesty. Soulful hazel eyes met his and he didn't know what to do.
 
“In over one thousand years I have never taken a human life Dean outside of war. I am sorry you found out like this, I did plan to tell you within the next few months. I wanted you to know me better first, to understand that just because I'm not human doesn't mean I'm evil. I had no say in what I am; this is how I was born.” Dean put his gun on the table but didn't take his eyes from Sam.
 
“Alright. But I can't trust you. I will be watching you and when you go to...hunt I will go with you to watch.”
 
“Agreed.” Sam sat back on his heels, relieved that Dean was giving him a chance. While he could have simply gone back to watching him from the shadows he had grown to like Dean, a lot, and did not want to lose his companionship.
 
---------------------------
Sam filled the clip with silver bullets, ignoring Dean's stare. Things had been awkward since his revelation though they worked together as well as they ever had while hunting. It was the time in the car and hotels when Dean would stare constantly that were hard. Dean rarely talked to him anymore unless it had to do with the creature of the week and it hurt but Sam could endure. He had to. He lost everyone he cared for to death eventually; he would not lose Dean any earlier than absolutely necessary.
 
The thought of changing Dean, of having someone always with him was tempting but not while things were as they were between them. And he didn't even know if it would work. Sure he knew the theory behind changing someone but he had never done it or even seen it done. And if he messed up Dean would die. But there was a slightly more pressing need at the moment.
 
“Dean?” The human looked up from where he had been checking his knife.
“I need to hunt.” Sam said simply and Dean nodded.
 
“How?”
 
“Bars are best. I slip into the alley with either gender and it will be assumed we're having a quick bit of fun out back.”
 
“Fine, there's a bar three blocks away.” Dean sheathed his knife and grabbed his jacket, waiting for Sam to put the gun away and join him. Since it was a nice night they walked to the bar.
 
Dean watched from a table as Sam moved through the crowd, chatting with people. Watching him like that it was so hard to believe he wasn't human. But hadn't he said his mother was? So didn't that mean he was half-human? He just didn't know what to believe anymore. Dean wanted to go back to the previous week when he'd thought Sam was human, that he might even be his baby brother. Everything had been great then. Now...he couldn't stop watching Sam, waiting for him to prove what his father had always told him, that Supernatural meant evil. But Sam had never been anything other than patient and kind to him and those they'd helped. Did that mean John was wrong?
 
When Sam signalled him Dean followed out into the alley. Sam had a man up against the wall and they were kissing. That was...weird, but he guessed it was the easiest way to distract someone while biting them. He stayed in the shadows as the two men began to grind against each other and Sam began to kiss down his jaw and then his neck. Dean knew the moment Sam had bitten because he could see the movement of his throat as he swallowed. Sure enough he pulled back after a few mouthfuls and they continued kissing and touching. Sam didn't complain when the guy dropped to his knees and began unzipping Sam's jeans and Dean had to look away. He did not want to see some strange guy give Sam a blowjob which from the sound of it Sam was very much enjoying.
 
But what had Dean shifting away further was his own reaction to the sounds. He'd thought Sam was possibly his brother only a week ago, it was wrong! But obviously his body disagreed. Maybe he needed to find a girl to have his own fun time with?
 
------------------------------------
“Do things always...go so far?” Sam looked over at Dean as he spoke for the first time since they'd left the bar. He'd felt and smelt Dean's reaction to what had happened but he wouldn't say anything because he knew it had embarrassed Dean.
 
“Usually. The bite is rather arousing. With a permanent donor things will typically go a lot further.” Sam explained casually.
 
“Oh. Permanent donor?” Dean slumped down on his bed.
 
“Someone who knows what I am and is willing to supply my needs. A permanent donor is always treated extremely well because they are a rare find. My last was around half a century ago. His name was Michael and he was nineteen when I found him nearly starved to death on the streets of London. Six months later he had become my donor and remained so until he was killed thirteen years later during World War Two and the bombing of London. We were set to leave town the very next day.” Sam told him, closing his eyes as he remembered Michael.
 
“So you could just feed off me instead of hunting?” Sam's eyes snapped open at that and he stared at Dean.
 
“Yes, but I doubt you'd like the rest of what happens and I would never force you. That would make it a little too close to rape for my liking Dean.” Dean winced but nodded and then grabbed his phone as it beeped.
 
“Dad sent coordinates.”
 
TBC...