Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Samuel Michaels ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still don't own Supernatural.
I hate moving and being stuck without internet!!
By the way, this is set in S1 just without Dean going to Stanford and while they are hunting separately John isn't missing.
 
Chapter 3
 
Dean watched Sam as the younger male slept in the Impala's passenger seat. They'd been hunting together for nearly a month now and Dean had to admit that he enjoyed it. Having someone around to talk to and fool around with was great. He still couldn't decide whether to mention the similarities between Sam and their Sammy to his Dad though he would tell him he'd picked up a hunting partner whenever the older man finally decided to call. Dean wasn't too worried about him, if there was one person who could take care of themself it was John Winchester.
 
Dean reached into the back and pulled out a jacket, gently settling it over Sam so as not to wake him. Sam shifted slightly in his sleep, pulling the jacket closer to him and Dean smiled slightly at the action. Sam was so innocent, despite the way he had been orphaned twice and the fact that he hunted the things most people only saw in their worst nightmares. He felt bad about dragging Sam deeper into the hunting world but Sam needed someone to protect him, he had been far too fast to trust when they had met. What if Dean hadn't been who he said he was? And there were hunters out there who would have taken Sam under their wing only to use him as bait or worse. No...Sam was better off with him, at least for a while.
 
Sam smiled to himself as Dean put the jacket over him, careful not to give away the fact that he was awake. Dean tried so hard to be the hard, unfeeling hunter but it was actions like that that showed Sam who Dean really was. He would protect Dean from Azazel and anything else that came after him, no matter what it took.
 
------------------------------
“I think I found a hunt in St. Louis. Looks like it could be some sort of shape shifter. Four women are dead and in every case the man responsible has denied it, one even had an alibi and yet a security camera shows him committing the murder. Another swears a person who could have been his twin was there and knocked him out.” Sam told Dean as the older hunter finally arrived with dinner.
 
“Sounds good.” Dean said, tossing Sam his share.
“Seriously though, why don't you just order the cow? I swear that thing is going to get up and walk off. See, it moved!” Sam rolled his eyes at Dean's commentary on the rareness of his meat. While rather foul tasting at least it was blood even if it was almost cooked out. So what if he liked his meat a little...juicy. Not like Dean had a right to say anything with some of the things Samuel had seen him eat.
“So we'll leave first thing in the morning.” Dean finally told him, through a mouthful of half chewed burger. Something that would usually disgust him had Sam smothering a smile. Oh yeah, he was getting waaay to close to this particular human.
 
------------------------------------------
Sam threw the shape shifter across the room, ignoring the fact that it was Dean's green eyes that were glaring hatefully at him. The creature rolled to its feet and faced him, knife held loosely in its hand. Samuel spared a quick glance for the latest victim and terrified blue eyes met his for a second.
 
“You think he'd stay with you if he knew what you are?” The shifter mocked him in Dean's voice and Sam growled, his fangs extended for the first time in over a month for anything other than a quick snack.
 
Samuel ignored the little voice in the back of his head that said the shifter was right as he focused on taking it down. He didn't know where the real Dean was but he knew he was still alive, he'd be able to sense if he were dead after spending so much time with him. He just hoped Dean didn't walk in on him like this. It would be hard to mistake him for anything other than what he was with his extended canines and cat like pupils. And this was not the way he wanted Dean to find out.
 
Sam ignored the knife as it dug into his flesh, the damage would heal in seconds once the blade was removed. Instead he focused on squeezing the life out of the sick imposter, enjoying the look of shock on its face as it realised just who was stronger. Once it had passed out he delved into its mind and forced it to shift back, Dean's skin shedding from its body. Once that was done he summoned his gun to his hand and put a silver bullet through its heart before turning to the petrified girl.
 
“Shh, its okay I won't hurt you.” He soothed as he removed her gag, his features once again human. As soon as the piece of cloth was gone she was sobbing hysterically, half screaming in fear and he didn't blame her.
“Easy, just let me get you untied.” Sam kept talking, trying to calm her.
 
“Wha...what?” She managed to sob out.
 
“It won't hurt you, it won't ever hurt anyone again.” Sam finally had the last binding undone and she threw herself into his arms. Samuel forced himself to ignore the tantalising smell of fresh human blood and focused instead on trying to calm her down. He shoved her behind him as the door burst open and cops flooded the room.
 
“Freeze!”
 
“NO!” She screamed, still clinging to him.
“He saved me.” She sobbed and Sam pulled her close, smoothing down her hair.
 
“Get an ambulance.” Sam ordered the nearest officer and he nodded slowly, lowering his gun. The body was checked and then the rest of the guns lowered.
 
“Sam!” Sam relaxed at the sound of Dean's voice, glad he had managed to get himself free. He smiled as Dean pushed past the police and into the room but the girl froze against him.
 
“The thing that attacked you wasn't him, it just made itself look like him. Dean would never hurt you, he'd protect you just like I did.” Sam soothed too quietly for anyone but her to hear and was happy when she slowly relaxed. Last thing he needed was for her to get Dean arrested.
 
“Are you okay?” Dean demanded as he looked Sam over.
 
“A little battered but I'm fine. Ambulance is on the way for her. How about you?” Sam smiled as Dean slowly relaxed.
 
“Other than the lump on my head? Fine.”
 
“You might want to get out of here. It looked like you before and if there's prints...”
 
“But if I'm here now there's no way to say I didn't leave them now.” Dean argued and Sam reluctantly nodded. Not that he really wanted to let Dean out if his sight after what had just happened.
 
-----------------------------
“How'd you know it wasn't me?” Dean asked from his bed as they were settling in to sleep.
 
“It just...wasn't. Yeah it looked like you but there was something Deanish that was missing.”
 
“Deanish?” Sam could hear his smirk.
 
“Jerk. At least the cops aren't after you or anything.”
 
“Always a good thing. Good job fighting that thing off. We should spar sometime.”
 
“Alright. Now can we sleep? Unlike you I didn't spend most of today taking a nap.”
 
“Hey! I was unconscious, there's a difference.”
 
“Whatever you say Dean.” Sam smiled and rolled over, letting himself relax. Once Dean was in a deep sleep he slipped from the motel room to hunt.
 
Dean rolled over and opened his eyes automatically to check on Sam only to find the other bed empty. He sat up and flipped on the lamp, scanning the room. It was empty and the open bathroom door showed it was empty too. Frowning he got up and checked out the window, the Impala was in her place, not that he'd given Sam keys yet. It was one o'clock in the morning, where could the kid be? He slipped into his boots, grabbed his jacket and headed out to find him. Sam was an adult and it wasn't like Dean was his keeper or anything but...the niggling thought that maybe he was his brother was still in the back of his mind and that brought out all of his protective instincts.
 
Sam had been in a life or death fight only a few hours earlier so maybe he had gone to work out the left over tension? But that was something he'd do, not the geek who didn't even drink more than one beer. Although that was the only lead he had so Dean headed for the nearest bar. Hearing noises from the alley he poked his head around the corner and grinned, maybe Sam was more like him than he thought. Sam had his head buried in a young woman's throat and her moans said she was enjoying the attention a lot. Her hands were on Sam's fly and Dean went to pull back but Sam raised his head and Dean froze in horror.
 
Sam's lips were red with fresh blood before he licked them clean and went to lift the woman's skirt. Dean must have made some sort of noise because Sam's head turned and their eyes met. Cat like pupils instantly changed back to the human ones he was used to as Sam continued to stare at him. Dean forced his hand to move to his gun and Sam tensed, moving just enough that he was covering the girl. Dean pulled out the gun and Sam turned just enough to run a hand over her eyes, catching the girl as she went limp and gently laying her near the door. Sam stepped away from her and held his hands up as Dean moved so that he was aiming right at Sam's heart.
 
Samuel kept his hands up, staring straight at Dean. This was not how he had wanted Dean to find out about him. At least the girl was now safely out of the line of fire and it wouldn't take long for someone to find her there. It would be so easy to make Dean forget what he'd seen beyond a little necking in an alley but he never wanted to violate him like that. But was Dean ready for the truth?
 
“Dean please let me explain.” Sam spoke softly, not wanting to startle Dean into shooting.
 
“What are you?” Dean demanded and Sam sighed.
 
“I'll tell you but not here, too much chance of someone walking by.” Sam agreed. He watched Dean's grip on his gun shift a little.
 
“Why should I trust you?”
 
“Because I'm here to protect you.” That earnt Sam a snort of disbelief but he didn't let it get to him.
“Please Dean; I'll answer any question you ask.” Sam could see Dean was wavering and put all his feelings for Dean into his eyes. Dean finally took his finger off the trigger but didn't lower the gun.
 
“After you.” Dean motioned for Sam to walk in front of him but then quickly checked the girl. Sam could see that he was surprised to find her alive and her vitals strong.
 
----------------------------
Sam sat on his bed, hands folded in his lap, watching as Dean locked the door and made sure the curtains were tightly closed before sitting at the small table, gun still in hand.
 
“So start explaining.”
 
“Where do you want me to start?” Sam asked, leaning back a bit on the bed to make himself as unthreatening as possible.
 
“What are you?”
 
“I am the last of the Vrykolakas.”
 
TBC...