Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ A New Hope ❯ A Funeral Fit For An Angel ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Man, this is turning out to be longer and more…exciting than I expected it would. Now it's fun just thinking about it. As always, questions, comments, ideas are welcome in reviews.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Angel's Funeral
 
The day was warm with a slight breeze blowing past all the figures clothed in black to mourn the loss of Angel.
 
Seated in the front row of the funerary church was Craven, who was trying his best not to cry, Marie, who was crying silently, and Nathan, who was trying to comfort Marie. In the back, others, including InuGhost, were also crying softly.
 
The preacher stood in front of the casket.
 
“And now we shall bow our heads in silence remembering our dearly departed friend…(moment of silence please)…and now, dear friends and family, we must remember the good times we had, and that she has gone off to meet her creator in Heaven above. Amen.”
 
There was a conjoined `Amen' from the group as they stood and prepared to follow to the cemetery. Marie leaned on Nathan's shoulder, still crying. As they exited the church, he had his arm around her, still trying to comfort her.
 
At the cemetery, the priest said some final words and the group of mourners dispersed. The team was the last to leave, each putting a single red rose on her grave. Craven and Marie left last, leaving Nathan alone in the cemetery.
 
Angel, I won't let your death be in vain…I'm cutting all ties to my mother and am going to help Craven and Marie avenge you. You didn't have to die. But now, my actual mother does.
 
He bowed his head and shut his eyes.
 
Goodbye, mother I never, but wish now with all my heart I did, had.
 
*~*~*~*~*
 
That night, after helping calm Marie down to the point when she was lulled to sleep, Nathan returned home to Ruby, a hard glare on his face when he looked at her.
 
The two stared at each other in silence. Finally, Nathan broke it.
 
“Why?”
 
“Why? Why what?”
 
“Why did she have to die?”
 
“Well, she didn't have to, she just did. It was a small, yet helpful, perk.”
 
He shook his head in disbelief.
 
“You're a monster.”
 
“And you're a bastard son. Next question.”
 
“I don't have any questions now. I'm cutting my ties with you. Angel didn't have to die, but you killed her anyway. I say you should join your sister, the aunt carrying the cousin I never met, in Hell.”
 
He spat at her and turned, picking up the keys to his motorcycle as he went. Ruby's eyes grew in shock, and then narrowed in a heated glare. She silently grabbed her gun, the same Beretta she used to shoot Craven, took aim, and shot Nathan in the chest.
 
“Like father, like son.”
 
He fell to one knee, wincing in pain, then turned to glare at her, grabbing a knife out of his boot and throwing it blindly at Ruby. It grazed her in the side as he took off running, wincing at each step. Blood began gushing worse out of his wound.
 
He raced to his motorcycle, hopped on, and whizzed away towards the Tower. As he drove, blood seeped out and covered his clothes and motorcycle. He didn't care; all he knew was that he had to get to Marie.
 
*~*~*~*~*
 
Marie stirred. She awoke, finding herself in her bed. The last thing she remembered was crying herself to sleep in Nathan's arms. She looked around-he wasn't there anymore. She glanced at the clock. Almost midnight.
 
She left her room and went into the kitchen, needing a drink of water. She glanced at the security monitor.
 
Oh my gosh…who? … No…Nathan?!
 
She pulled the screen up to the big screen on the windows. It was indeed Nathan, but something was wrong. He was staggering on his feet, clutching his chest. He pulled it away, and it was slick and streaked with liquid.
 
“Nathan! Oh no…Dad! Somebody! Wake up!”
 
*~*~*~*~*
 
Nathan was suddenly aware. He heard noises, a beeping noise matching his heart rate, a slow but calm breathing beside him. He opened his eyes and sat up.
 
His head spun and he felt a vivid pain in his chest. Looking down he saw that he was wrapped in bandages. Looking up, he saw Craven eyeing him intently.
 
“Hey.”
 
“…Hi.”
 
“How you feeling?”
 
“Fine. Where's Marie?”
 
“Outside the door, asleep. I think we need to talk.”
 
“So do I. What about?”
 
“Apparently…you're my son. And Marie isn't my daughter.”
 
Nathan nodded. “I know.”
 
“And that your mother is still alive, and that my wife is dead.”
 
He stared Craven straight in the eyes. “And the reason we're having this talk in the hospital is because I severed all ties I had to do with that woman. At your late wife's funeral, I swore that her life would not have been ended in vain. In fact, it shouldn't have been ended at all.”
 
“Let me tell you something, son. Nobody's life should be taken from them so abruptly like that. Not even for revenge.”
 
“I understand.”
 
“Good. Now, you claim you've renounced Ruby in all ways. How can I be sure of this?”
 
“She shot me in the exact place she shot you. Then she said, `Like father, like son.' You think I'd be here right now if I didn't cut ties with her?”
 
“…You have a point. Now, I have a dilemma. Half of me says I should accept you with open arms and allow you to help me kill your mother. The other half says I should kill you now while I have the chance.”
 
“And which half are you listening to?”