Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ A New Hope ❯ Revelations ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The world was dark. All Angel could feel was the sensation of being lifted by the throat onto the wall as she bled. When she opened her eyes, Ruby was grinning up at her triumphantly.
 
“Had enough? Or shall we call our dear hubby? The man who believes he sired your daughter?”
 
“How…how do you know that…?”
 
“How, you ask? Why, I'm just that damn good.”
 
She threw Angel aside in the living room and left her to bleed on the floor.
 
Once Ruby had left Angel to die, she crawled to the emergency phone and dialed 911 before passing out from blood loss.
 
*~*~*~*
 
The bank guard was thanking the couple profusely as the moronic bank robber lay in a jumbled heap on the floor. Thanks to Nathan's odd mastery of swordplay, the bank was still in business.
 
“Oh, thank you again for getting rid of that buffoon. But, if you don't mind me asking, where did you learn to fight like that?”
 
“Around. My mom put me up for sword fighting lessons when I was young.”
 
“Well, be sure to thank her that she did tonight when you get home.”
 
He smiled and nodded. “I will.”
 
Marie was smiling at him, although she was somewhat perplexed. In all the six months they had been going out, she had never once met his mother. Or his father.
 
She was about to say something when her necklace began to blink once more. This time, it was glowing lime green, signaling that an ambulance was called.
 
“Nathan, we've gotta take this. Once again, sir, you're welcome. Wait here until the police arrive.”
 
Once outside, Marie checked where the ambulance was headed on her communicator.
 
“Titans Tower!? What? Only…. mom!”
 
Throwing caution, and the fact that her powers were supposed to be secret to anyone but the family as of yet, she picked up Nathan and flew off towards the Tower.
 
“Uh…hey Marie? Question.”
 
“What?”
 
“Since when could you do this?”
 
“Since I was born.”
 
“Oh.”
 
For the rest of the way, Nathan shut up. Once they arrived, Marie flew to the main room window and kicked it in, knowing that the city would pay for it. She dropped Nathan.
 
“Mom! Mom, where are you?”
 
She gasped as she spotted her mothers limp form on the floor amidst a pool of blood. On the ground floor, the ambulance arrived.
 
“Nathan, go get them. Hurry!” He ran out and into the elevator. “Mom! Mom, wake up! Everything's going to be fine…”
 
She began to cry, blood and tears mixing on the floor.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Two Days Later
 
The heart monitor blinked in a steady, although slow, rhythm when Craven entered the dark hospital room. Angel's red hair had lost most of its original sheen from her blood loss. An IV was hooked into her arm. She was asleep.
 
Craven sat quietly on the chair next to her bed. Tentatively, he picked up her hand in his. She stirred.
 
“Who…Craven?”
 
He smiled weakly and nodded. His vision blurred, but he blinked back the tears.
 
“Yeah, it's me. How you feeling?”
 
“How do I look?”
 
“To be honest, like crap. But more importantly, Angel, who did this to you?”
 
“The same woman who gave you the scar on your chest.”
 
“What?”
 
The news of Ruby still living brought a shock through Craven. That's why Nathan looked so familiar. He was looking at a younger, black-haired version of himself.
 
His son.
 
“No…” Craven's voice was just above a whisper. “Then what about…?”
 
“Marie? That's what I've been meaning to tell you…she's not yours.”
 
“Not mine? How? How does she have my powers?”
 
“The night after I became pregnant…we did it. The egg must've recognized something special about your DNA. Or just enough to allow the special parts enter it.”
 
He sat in silence after this revelation.
 
“The doctors say…I won't make it. I've lost too much blood.”
 
“What? No, you can't die. I won't let you. You've got to live!”
 
“I'm…sorry…Craven…I…love…y ou…”
 
And with her final breath, she expressed her final feelings.
 
Craven swore that he would personally avenge his wife's death.
 
Starting with his bastard son.