Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Back to the Present ❯ Jealousy ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

BACK TO THE PRESENT
Chapter 2: Mystery and Jealously
By Jacque Nicole

Starfire stared at the group of people that stood in front of her. They were all there: Cyborg, Raven, Beast Boy, and Nightwing; each one just as she remembered them... mostly. She noticed with appreciation that Beast Boy dropped a couple of pounds and that Raven seemed more... approachable.
"Oh! What a pleasure this is!" she said aloud as she hugged each of them. She lingered on Nightwing for a while, giving him one of her one hundred watt smiles. "Please tell me, how long will you be staying?"
Cyborg shrugged. "As long as you allow, I guess. There isn't really anything for us to take care of in our time," he answered, feeling awkward in his spot between his best friend and his childhood crush. He'd seen the way Nightwing had acted after Starfire's departure and knew that the red head teenager was all that was on his mind right now and. by the looks of it, Starfire seemed very happy to see Nightwing too. `Maybe this trip will work out for him,' thought Cyborg. `I sure hope so, for all our sakes.'
Beast Boy cleared his voice to get Starfire's attention away from Nightwing. "So, where are the rest of the Titans?"
"And why are you so dressed up?" Raven added.
Starfire gasped and shot up from her seat. "Oh, I nearly forgot!" she said as she rushed over to the couch where she spotted her white gloves. "I have to go to the prom! I must depart!"
Nightwing's ears perked at this. "Wait, you're going to a prom? With whom?" he asked with a twinge of envy in his voice. He was slightly surprised at his tone. Why did he care so much about her date? More importantly, why did he care so much about her?
Starfire looked puzzled. "I have forgotten that it is customary to bring a date to the prom. I have not acquired one…
Nightwing jumped at the opportunity. "I'll take you!" he offered quickly.
The Tameranian teen smiled gratefully. "Why, thank you Nightwing. It would be very `uncool' of me to go to the prom alone, yes?"
Cyborg folded his arms, a little miffed about being excluded. "Well, what about us?"
Starfire smiled at the rest of the team as she bustled around the rest of the Main Room, finishing getting ready. "This is wonderful! You can help Cyborg, Raven, and Beast Boy find Killer Moth. They are currently at the bridge. You know where that is, yes?"
The robot nodded. "Of course. Let's go kick some buggy butt," he announced as he led the other two out of the building, leaving Nightwing and Starfire alone.
"We should be going now, Nightwing,” said the red head, tugging urgently at the vigilante's hand. “We must save Robin from his horrendous, appalling, wretched, awful date! Her name is Kitten, and she seems to have some connection with Killer Moth," she explained as she rushed to the elevators, Nightwing tailing close behind.
XOXOXOXOX
 
Robin's motorcycle came to a stop in front of a large yacht. A banner with the words 'Junior Prom' in bold pink letters hung above the deck. Impatiently, he crossed his arms and waited for his "date." The sooner she came, the sooner this whole ordeal would be over with.
Ten minutes…
……Twenty minutes……
………Half an hour………
Robin yelled out in frustration. Where was this girl? Did she have to be fashionably late or something?
Robin waited impatiently for five more minutes, telling himself that if she did not arrive soon, he'd abandon this entire plan, when suddenly he felt a light tap on his shoulder. Exasperated, he shouted, "It's about time you got here!"
"Why?” A sweet, angelic voice asked. Am I late?"
At the sound of the familiar voice, Robin whirled around. "Starfire?! What are you doing here?" he asked incredulously before mentally scolding himself. By the looks of her shimmering pink dress, she was obviously here for the prom. `But,' Robin thought to himself, `if she came herefor the prom, wouldn't she have a...'
A man dressed in black spandex with a blazing blue bird symbol on the chest approached Starfire and wrapped his arm around her slender waist.
The Boy Wonder gulped. `...date?'
XOXOXOXOX
 
“LOOK OUT, CYBORG!” Raven shouted to her teammate as one of Killer Moth's creatures flew toward him. Cyborg leaped over the offending bug and shot at it. Beast Boy was in elephant form and attempting to squish the insects with his mighty feet. Raven, on the other hand, was trying to put broken pieces of the bridge back together as the moths destroyed it.
Unfortunately, they were fighting a losing battle. New swarms of moths kept appearing and the teens were losing ground.
Unbeknownst to Cyborg, a group of moths were munching away at a support that was above him. Beast Boy and Raven were too distracted to notice as the beam plummeted toward their teammate. Almost too late, the robot looked up. He prepared himself for impact when a stream of magic held the support. It raised and replaced itself.
"Thanks Rave!" Cyborg yelled to his teenage friend.
Raven shot him a look as she put together another section of the bridge. "For what?"
The teenage robot would've raised an eyebrow if he had them. "You just saved my life."
"No, I didn't."
Cyborg scratched his head. "Then who . . . ?" Surprising Cyborg, a massive green pterodactyl flew above him. "B.B.?"
"Dude, I'm down here!" shouted the teenage changeling as he transformed into a wooly mammoth. The pterodactyl still flew in the air.
The teenage robot was beyond confused. "What the hell is going on?" he bellowed. Suddenly a blue beam shot down several moths. Grumbling, Cyborg continued to destroy the giant creatures. Whatever or whoever it was that was intruding was helping him and his friends, so he accepted them. With the help of the mysterious figures, the moth forces started dwindling.
"Almost finished guys. Only a few left to go," Cyborg announced. As soon as the words left his mouth a whole new swarm appeared. "Damn," he cursed. "I jinxed it."
Meanwhile, in the shadows, future Cyborg, Raven, and Beast Boy were contemplating if they should reveal themselves to their younger counterparts.
"Should we come out now, Cyborg? I think your teenage self is becoming distracted because of our presence," Raven said.
Cyborg nodded, agreeing with his life-long friend. "Yeah, I think that would be best."
"This is so cool! We get to meet our teenage selves!" Beast Boy exclaimed as he and the other Titans stepped out of the shadows to make themselves known to the teenage fighters.
XOXOXOXOX
 
Robin glared at the strange man through his mask. Who did he think he was? Who gave him the right to touch her? Robin felt his face getting redder and redder with anger and—dare he say it?—envy for the other man.
"Robin, this is Nightwing . . ." The man clad in black held his hand out to the Boy Wonder and waited for a handshake. Out of politeness Robin obliged. "You remember me speaking of him, do you not?” Robin nodded. He remembered the amazement he felt after Starfire had told the story of her visit to the future. At the time, he felt proud of his counterpart, but now… “He's my date," Starfire continued. Robin's grip on Nightwing's hand—which he still held in a handshake—tightened at the "D" word.
Nightwing cleared his throat. "Nice to meet you, Robin. This is so strange; I'm meeting myself!"
"Yeah," Robin replied absently, his mind not on the man's words. He couldn't get over the fact that he had his hand on Starfire's waist and she didn't care!
Releasing Robin's hand, Nightwing continued nervously. "Umm, Beast Boy, Raven, and Cyborg came along with me. They're out helping your team…"
"Aren't you a little too old to be dating Star?" Robin asked suddenly.
Nightwing and Starfire blushed simultaneously. "I'm not dating her," stuttered Nightwing. The last thing he wanted was to cause trouble between himself and his past self, but he had missed Starfire so much… "She needed a companion for tonight and I volunteered myself."
Before Nightwing could continue, Starfire inserted, "But it does not matter, right Robin?” The Boy Wonder shrugged stiffly in response. “Besides, we're here to help retrieve information from Kitten.” The Tameranian teen craned her slender neck to look around her. Nightwing wished run his fingers along her beautiful jaw but was quickly jarred out of his thoughts when he saw Robin's glare. “Where is Kitten, Robin?"
"Not here yet," Robin replied shortly.
"Late? Well that's not appropriate for a date, is it?"
Robin saw right through Starfire's pleasantries. She was trying to make her date seem better than his. Well, he'd show her. "I don't mind. She's probably spending extra time on her hair and makeup, just to look her best for me."
"Perhaps," replied Starfire, making sure to get a little closer to Nightwing to get Robin more jealous. It was working, but he certainly didn't want her to know it was.
A white stretch limo slowed to a stop right in front of Robin. "That's probably her now," he said. The door flew open, almost knocking the Boy Wonder over. Kitten sprang out the vehicle and landed on him, her arms immediately wrapping around Robin's neck in a vice grip.
"Oh, Robbie-poo! We're going to have so much fun tonight!" she said, tightening her hug on the hero.
"Yeah," agreed Robin with a huff. He could hardly breathe, but he decided to play his role as Kitten's date so she'd begin to trust him enough to spill information. `Notto mention the fact that Starfire's a littlejealous of her,' he added to himself. "We're totally gonna have a shitload of fun," and with that line, he planted a soft kiss on Kitten's cheek, grimacing at the squeal she made.
It was going to be a long night.

...End Chapter 2...
Length: 1,681 words
Posted: May 29, 2004
Last Edit: August 22, 2006