Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Memories of the Kuro Battousai ❯ Odelia's Turn to Help! ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
Clock is ticking while I'm killing time.
Spinning all around,
Nothing else that you can do,
To turn it back
 
Wicked partnership in this crime,
Ripping off the best, condescending smile.
 
Trying to forget (Wasting my time),
We're falling right through.
Lying to forget (Telling more lies),
We're raising our truth
 
COME and tease me.
 
Clock is ticking while I'm stealing time,
Can't you turn it back?
Stop the cycle, set me free,
Run away.
 
Silence sneaking along my path,
Grab the rope off me, feeling like we'll fly (Feeling like we'll fly).
 
Trying to forget (Wasting my time),
We're falling right through.
Lying to forget (Telling more lies),
We're raising our truth.
 
Trying to forget (Wasting my time),
We're falling right through.
Lying to forget (Telling more lies),
We're raising our truth.
­­­­­­­--- Our Truth by Lacuna Coil
--
As Miya ran to find Kory and Midnight, the older girls had run into a boy wearing a blue vest over a black shirt and blue jeans. His hair was black and styled in a mess of spikes. He was rather handsome, but his appearance was marred by an arrogant expression.
“Either of you two looking to lose to a guy who's gonna go all the way to the top?” he asked, his rather handsome voice also marred with arrogance.
“All battles are battles of chance,” Kory replied, rather intelligently, “You cannot assume that X'Hal will always smile upon you.”
Kory!” Midnight whispered…. Or more like hissed… under her breath.
“Whatever,” the boy sneered. “So, cutie pie, wanna duel me?”
“I will warn you now, I am far smarter than you give me credit for,” Kory answered.
The two duelists took their positions in the arena, Kory staring down the boy.
“Before we battle, I would like to know your name,” Kory said.
“Sure, babe,” the boy replied. “My name's Len. And because I'm feeling so good, I'm gonna give you all my star chips if you win.” He raised his wrist, displaying eight star chips.
“To be fair, I will bet all of my star chips against you as well,” Kory stated as she placed her deck down on the lower right-hand corner of her card zone. She raised her wrist as well, displaying an equivalent amount of star chips.
Midnight sighed. “I hope you know what you're doing, Kory.”
“I do,” Kory answered simply.
--
Starfire and Raven! Odelia's Turn to Help
--
When Miya made it to her guardians, she saw Len wailing.
“How?! How did I lose?!”
“You underestimated your opponent,” Kory replied. “Now I will take your star chips.”
She took all of Len's star chips, filling both her gauntlet and Midnight's.
“Now we can reach Pegasus's castle!” she chirped with glee.
“Our objective is not to win this contest,” Midnight answered sternly. “It is to find Odelia and get her away from here before Pegasus kills her.”
“If we are to prevent Pegasus from ever coming after Odelia again, we must take him down,” Kory retorted, her voice suddenly changing into a more serious tone. “The only way to get close to him is to enter his castle. Posing as duelists who filled their gauntlets will facilitate our goal.”
Midnight sighed. “You're much smarter than some people give you credit for.”
“I was instructed in the art of war back on Tamaran,” Kory answered. “It is not much different from Earth's methods of waging war.”
“Shukubo-san! Kory-san!” Miya's youthful voice exclaimed.
“Miya, what is it?” Midnight asked.
“I found some unconscious big kids!” Miya replied. She took off on her bubble, Kory and Midnight following her.
--
The three girls saw six unconscious people on the ground, five teenagers and one woman in her twenties.
“I saw them sleeping out here, but they wouldn't wake up!” Miya exclaimed.
“They look like they're in a memory trance of some kind,” Midnight said.
“A memory trance?” Kory asked curiously.
“They're reliving someone's memories,” Midnight replied. “Witnessing them as though they were there themselves.”
She chanted in the Azarathian language and blackish-blue light engulfed the sleeping six.
Suddenly, they all woke up, groaning and rubbing their heads in pain.
“Man… dat was some kinda mind trip!” a boy with floppy, messy blond hair exclaimed.
“Tell me about it,” another boy, this one with brown hair gelled into a forward-pointing spike, agreed.
The smallest of the boys, his hair arranged in starburst-like black spikes tipped with crimson and blond bangs, wrapped his arms around his knees and sank his head into his knees as he stared with empty, depressed eyes. “It was horrible. Just horrible, what they went through . . .”
A brunette girl dressed in a pink vest over a yellow blouse and blue skirt placed a comforting hand on the small boy's shoulders. “It'll be ok, Yugi.”
A soft-faced boy with long, spiky white hair ruminated sadly, looking at his smaller friend.
“Hey,” the blonde woman in her mid-twenties spoke, the first to realize the ones who woke them up in the first place. “Who are you three?”
“Greetings!” Kory spoke exuberantly, as she came a little too close into the woman's space and began asking with much excitement, “My name is Kory Anders. What is your name? What is your favorite color? Where do you come from? How did you get here? And would you be my friend?”
Midnight slapped her forehead in embarrassment and anime sweat dropped.
“Mai Valentine, purple, Japan, took a cruise ship, and I'd say yes if you weren't actively freaking me out,” Mai replied.
“Sorry!” Kory exclaimed, taking a few steps back. “I will attempt not to `freak' you out.”
“Better,” Mai said.
The floppy-haired blond looked at Midnight. “You know, you'd be a lot cuter if you smiled more.”
“Oh, so you've finally moved on from Mai, huh?” the pointy-haired brunet remarked.
“Screw you, Tristan,” the floppy-haired blond snapped back. “Where da hell does it say I can't look at another woman?”
“You don't advertise looking at another woman, nimrod!” Tristan replied in a “know-it-all” tone. “If the woman you want sees you checking out other girls, she's gonna think you're not into her! Then again, I don't think it matters because Mai wouldn't notice you if you were richer than Kaiba!”
“Take dat back, ya asshole!” the floppy-haired blond yelled, lunging at Tristan.
Kory darted between the two boys, easily holding them back from each other with her strength. “Stop this mean-talking now.”
“Boys,” Midnight muttered in her grim tone.
“Sorry about them,” the multicolored-haired boy said, looking a bit more cheerful then he was not too long ago. “I'm Yugi, Yugi Mutou. The guys your friend's holding back are my good friends Tristan and Joey.”
“I'm Téa,” the brunette girl introduced herself.
“I'm Bakura,” the white-haired boy greeted.
“I'm Midnight Kurohane,” Midnight answered, “and the girl preventing your nimrod friends from killing each other is Kory Anders.”
“Hey, that little girl with you looks kinda like you,” Téa observed. “Is she your little sister?”
“Not really,” Midnight replied. “She's my niece, Miya Himura.”
“Konnichiha!” Miya chirped.
--
Meanwhile, the president of Kaiba Corp. found himself in pitch darkness.
“Uhhh…” He moaned softly, “What….? Where…?”
He suddenly felt something cool and damp stroke across his forehead. The stroking was gentle and calm, like a breeze of the wind. He moaned at it's contact… just vaguely remembering a feeling like this when he was much younger… And finally he opened his eyes, finally seeing light…
Seto Kaiba had awakened.
“Where am I?” he wondered.
“With me,” the voice of Odelia replied.
Kaiba looked and saw Odelia looking back at him; grimly as usual.
The torn up clothing he had previously saw her in was now gone. Her torn, black leotard was replaced with a white tube top with a bold, black strip on the ends and a matching miniskirt. The tattered, blood red cloak was also replaced with a sleeveless, white, long trench coat with a black collar. He also noticed her pulling her hand back, holding a damp cloth.
“Well…” Kaiba mused out loud with a hint of irony in his voice, “Isn't this a rather familiar scene—?”
“I found you lying on the ground, almost as motionless as the dead,” she continued, acting as if she didn't even hear his comment. “I brought you here so you would have a safe place to awaken.”
“And where is here?” he asked suspiciously.
Here?” Odelia echoed. “A sanctuary. A place I can be safe.”
“Safe from Pegasus, right?” Kaiba asked.
“Yes,” Odelia confirmed. “He is a far more dangerous man than you think he is.”
Kaiba chuckled unpleasantly. “Believe me, I know just how dangerous he can be. Why do you think I'm after him?”
“Is there a reason you're after him?” Odelia asked.
“He took my little brother,” Kaiba snarled. “Mokuba, the one person in the world I can actually say I give a damn about.”
Odelia paused, a sad and slightly disappointed expression on her face.
“What do you care?” he asked sourly. “Do you even have any family?”
“A sister,” Odelia replied. “Somewhat younger than Mokuba. Like Mokuba to you, she is the light that remains within my soul, tainted and foul as it is.”
Kaiba snorted, but not derisively. “You don't seem so bad for a demon-girl who tried to kill me.”
“Demon,” Odelia murmured. “I didn't know you believed in such things, since you said so yourself.”
“I can read people pretty well, so I know when someone's telling the truth and when they're not,” Kaiba said. “You don't seem like the kind of person Pegasus would hire to kill me, so tell me . . . what got you working for that son of a bitch? What does he have on you?”
Odelia sighed. “You can stay with me and I will answer as best as I can.”
As much as the brunet CEO would like to know what was going on, he had other things to do. Like finding Mokuba.
“On second thought, that story can wait for another day. I have to find Mokuba.”
“You will be in danger if you exit this place,” Odelia warned. “This sanctuary is located in a blind spot in Pegasus's surveillance. If you leave, he will find you.”
Kaiba chuckled darkly. “Exactly my intention, only he's going to find me in a place he really doesn't want to go.” He rose from the small cot and exited the sanctuary, mentally steeling himself for the Duel Monsters inventor's goons.
“Good luck . . . Seto,” Odelia whispered.
--
“So what brings you cuties here?” Joey asked.
“The duel,” Kory replied. “Both Midnight and I have won enough star chips to make our way into Pegasus's castle.”
“That's awesome!” Yugi exclaimed with some newfound excitement. “We'll have more people to help us shut down Pegasus!”
“He hired Miya's older sister to kill a young man named Seto Kaiba,” Kory stated. “He is a very bad man indeed and must be punished.”
“He's worse than bad,” Téa said. “He's downright evil. He kidnapped Yugi's grandpa to force Yugi to duel him and kidnapped Kaiba's little brother Mokuba to get at Kaiba's company.”
“Miya's older sister is in danger of him, too,” Midnight said. “Since she didn't kill Kaiba, he'll most likely have her eliminated as a punishment for failing. I know how his kind works.”
“Uh, what's with that weird gem on your forehead?” Tristan asked, suddenly changing the entire subject.
“It looks like some kind of meditation stone,” Bakura observed. “I've heard of those things. Supposedly, they focus and balance your spiritual energies.”
“You're kind of right,” Midnight said.
Bakura blushed.
“Hey, I think he digs her,” Joey whispered to Tristan, nudging the other boy slightly.
“I think you're right,” Tristan whispered back, snickering.
“I like that belt,” Mai said to Midnight. “Where'd you get it?”
“Family heirloom,” Midnight replied.
Mai observed Midnight closely, eyeing the younger female's pale gray skin. “Don't you ever go out in the daytime?”
“I try,” Midnight deadpanned. “Then I burn and I realize it was much better to stay inside.”
“I think you just need SPF 60,” Mai said. “Then you'll be fine for the beach.”
“I wouldn't have time,” Midnight replied. “For one thing, I'm a very busy person. For another, I have a wayward niece to find before she gets herself killed by a power-mad game inventor.”
“Hey . . . you look kinda like her,” Yugi said.
“Like Odelia?” Midnight asked. “You've seen her?”
“Yeah,” Yugi replied. “You look a lot like her, only she has red hair and you have purple hair.”
“We were born at the same time,” Midnight said, “but we're not twins. She's my niece.”
“That's some kind of messed-up family tree,” Joey remarked.
Under her breath, Midnight muttered, “You have no idea.”
“Let's go,” Yugi said. “We won't make it to Pegasus's castle standing around talking.”
Yugi and his gang began to walk, accompanied by Midnight, Kory, and Miya.
--
A tall, handsome man stood on the age of the cliff, overhead on the beach. The warm, orange/red sunset had given his face a warm, angelic look while the sunset and the find gave his crimson, blood red hair the look of fire. Contrasting with his blood red mane was his set of sapphire blue eyes… blue as the ocean of which he was gazing upon.
Odelia…”
He turned away from the ocean. A soft, serene smile was spread across his lips. He certainly was angelic by appearance. The wind blowing his hair, his loosely sky-blue shirt, and his pair of white hakami pants…. The rather skinny, lean, slightly muscled body…. And the soft-spoken voice… He was simply beautiful.
Suddenly his form transformed almost entirely—his clothes shifted into a blue trench coat over a green suit, his form grew until he was more muscled and taller, his short, blood red hair that flowed into the wind shifted into a brunet with a bowl-like shape, his softened face turned to a more serious and dominant one, the smile, too, was filled with dominance, however….
The eyes—although they changed shape from almond to almost hawk-like—were still the same ocean blue.
Odelia…” His voice sounded more serious and colder…
The man before the edge of the cliff now was Seto Kaiba.
--
Odelia gasped as she sat up from the cot; heart pounding in her chest, Bits of sweat were dribbling down from her temples, and her breathing was heavy panting.
Once her heart and breathing had finally calmed, she collapsed back onto the cot.
“Unchi,” Odelia muttered, “What a fucked up dream that was.”
`But I must admit,' She confessed mentally, `He does have my dad's eyes…'
She silently contemplated bit, the weirdness of the dream and silently blushed a bit at the very idea that she was thinking about Kaiba's eyes. She began blushing even more by the fact she was recalling touching his face while he was asleep.
--
Mokuba, the one person in the world I can actually say I give a damn about.
--
“SHIMATTA!” The redhead shreakied in frustration, “Curse him!”
She jumped out of the cot and stomped away.
“When I find him, I'm gonna bang him so hard in the head—he'll bite his damn tongue off!”
But she soon noticed, while walking in the woods, that one of Pagasus' goons was just up ahead of her…. Gun at hand…. Aiming…. Aiming at….
Her eyes widened in shock as the man was ready to shoot at Kaiba, who was looking up at the sky to figure at what direction he was going.
She gasped as the bodyguard was pulling the trigger and quickly drew her sword. While the guy was pulling back the trigger—ready for the kill, she charged at him—not caring how loud her steps were.
--
“Kaiba! LOOK OUT!”
--
There was the sound of the gunshot, and then the sound of a sword slicing through…
--
To be Continued…
--
Glossary:
Unchi-Shit
 
Kokuryu: What a cliffhanger. Who lives? Who dies? Will Raven ever find Odelia? Will either one of them survive long enough to meet each other? Who is the man in Odelia's dream? All these questions - and more - will be answered at some point, as long as you're patient. See you on the other side.
Kristen: And now it is my turn to start writing. So please don't miss out on the next chapter of Memories of the Kuro Battousai coming soon. Au revoir!