Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Musical: What Changes Really Are ❯ Hating Changes ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER TWO
 
At Titans tower, everyone was in the lounge, preparing for a day in the park. Cyborg pumped up the football, and soccer-ball, while Starfire prepared the picnic-basket… it took her a while to get it right as… well…
 
“Uh, Starfire… you did pack some Earth food, didn't you?”
 
Starfire always got carried away in packing her alien food, but eventually, she got it right with some help from Robin… her soon to be husband. They even shared a soft kiss.
 
Raven just kept her face buried in her book, and Copy-Cat continued to meditate. Just then, Beast boy entered the lounge, with that same sad expression on his face, and he was softly signing as he walked to the fridge for an apple…
 
Who am I…?
Wearing shoes am I.
Who am I?
Got the blues am I…
 
The others all looked at each other in confusion as to why Beast-Boy hadn't cheered up yet. “Uh… okay Titans… lets get going.” Robin said, “Better do it now while the day is young.”
 
“Whoo-hoo… I'm there.” Cyborg hollered.
 
“Oh, we are going to have such a wonderful time.” said Starfire, “All of us as friends together.”
 
Even Raven and Copy-Cat couldn't argue with that. However, Beast-Boy sat down at the table, with his apple resting before him. “Uh… Beast-Boy…?” Robin called to him. “Come on, we're leaving.”
 
Beast-Boy looked at him, “its okay… you guys go on without me.”
 
This was a first, “Beast-Boy… not wanting to go out?” Raven asked, “Really… not normal.”
 
Starfire put down the picnic-baskets and hovered over to him. “Friend, you do not wish to come with us?” she asked, “Perhaps you are feeling… ill?” she felt this forehead.
 
Beast-boy shook his head, “It's called Heartbreak.” he said, “I'm not taking it well.”
 
“Beast-Boy…” Copy-Cat said, “We understand completely if you wish to remain… but perhaps it would be best if you came out with us on this fine sunny day.”
 
All the others nodded their heads and urged him to go… even Raven did. Beast-Boy sighed, and went along with them…
 
Sadly… his mood still hadn't changed. He just sat under a tree in the shadows for a whole hour while the others played football. “Hey, no powers…!” Cyborg growled.
 
“Do not be a… the Earth word is… Sore loser…!”
 
As he watched them play, he remembered of the first and only picnic they had even gone on, with Terra on the team. They played Volleyball… Beast-Boy even spared some of his tofu-dogs for her… and she even liked the way they tasted.
 
Then… the images faded to her at Murakami…
 
“I'm sorry… but I don't know you.”
 
“Meh… I don't like Anchovies. I really should go.”
 
It was even harder when everyone sat down to eat. Robin and Starfire shared the chocolate covered strawberries. Raven and Copy-Cat clinked their cups of herbal-tea together, and wrapped their arms together pouring it softly down their throats. As for Cyborg, he just admired his cheeseburger like he would be ogling a woman. “Ooh… aren't you a beauty…!”
 
This made Beast-Boy feel even worse, being the only one left without someone special, didn't snap out of his trance until he realized that he had accidentally bitten into a steak-sandwich with melted cheese. “WHELCH… MEAT…!” he spit it out quickly before he swallowed anything, “Ugh… I think I swallowed some of the juice!”
 
He quickly grabbed a root beer and swirled the soda in his mouth to get the juice out. All the others were grossed out, and shocked. Such a tantrum over a small piece of meat… then again… it was Beast-Boy; the dude who would defy meat to the ends of the earth.
 
“Yo' man… spill it!” Cyborg said, “You've been acting pretty weird lately. What's the matter with you? Is it about Terra again.”
 
Beast-Boy looked at him straight, “It's more than just that…” he said, “But I just don't want to talk about it.”
 
“You don't have to…” Copy-Cat said, “I already know what it is that troubles you. It is changes
 
Everyone looked up, even Beast-Boy… “Dude… how did you know?”
 
Copy-Cat pointed to his head reminding everyone that he could read minds, and he explained that he knew what was bothering Beast-Boy, “If you do not tell them… Then I shall. We cannot be of help to you if you keep this to yourself.”
 
Beast-Boy was twitching in stress. “All right… I admit it… I hate changes!” he nearly shouted, “There… you happy now?”
 
Everyone was actually shocked to hear Beast-Boy say such a thing. “Friend… changes are usually a good thing to happen, and natural too.” said Starfire.
 
“Starfire's right…” Robin said, “We all have to live with changes, it's what makes the world go round. It's how we've evolved.”
 
(Music cue)
 
Cyborg nodded, “Yo man…where do you get all goin' down like that?” he asked. “You may not like them, but we can help you feel better about it. Just remember…”
 
(Cyborg)
 
-Things are always changing
So don't be sad and blue
Change can make you happy
'Cause it brings you somethin' new

Now your caterpillar's all wrapped up
And
she won't tell you why
Inside his sack he's changing
Soon
she'll be a butterfly
And you know it doesn't matter
If you lost your pollywogs
They really didn't disappear
They all changed into frogs!

Hey! Things are always changing
so don't be sad and blue
Change can make you happy
'Cause it brings you somethin' new
“Sing it…!”
 
(All but Beast-Boy)
 
Things are always changing
so don't be sad and blue
Change can make you happy
'Cause it brings you somethin' new

(Cyborg)
 
-Yeah, not much stays just like it was
as that old clock keeps tickin'
for every little egg you lose
you could get back a chicken!
And if you plant an acorn
and wait a year or three
Then turn around and look again
you just may find a tree!

Hey! Things are always changing
so don't be sad and blue
Change can make you happy
'Cause it brings you somethin' new
“Sing it…!”
 
(All but Beast-Boy)
 
Things are always changing
so don't be sad and blue
Change can make you happy
'Cause it brings you somethin' new
 
(Cyborg)

The seasons keep on changin'
and
the summer turns to fall
No more swimming, no more picnics
but we get to play football!
 
(Everyone but Beast-Boy joins in the game)
 
 
 
Hey! Things are always changing
so don't be sad and blue
Change can make you happy
'Cause it brings you somethin' new
Everybody! Things are always changing
So don't be sad and blue
Change can make you happy
'Cause it brings you somethin' new!
Hey!
 
(All but Beast-Boy)
 
Things are always changing
So don't be sad and blue
Change can make you happy
'Cause it brings
you somethin' new.
 
 
Beast-Boy nodded a little, “Yeah… you're right about that.” he said, “But…”
 
“But…?” Raven asked.
 
Beast-Boy turned and sprayed it, “BUT…!”
 
Raven wiped her cheek clean…
 
“Those aren't the changes I'm talking about…” replied Beast-Boy. “I mean the changes that take away things you held dear, running your life, and replacing them with nothing.”
 
The others, except Copy-Cat, didn't understand what he meant, and that's When Copy-Cat blackmailed Beast-Boy once again. So… he decided to tell them about himself…
 
They all already knew that his actual name was not Beast-Boy, but really… Garfield Logan Raven never stopped joking about it from time to time, “I got a lot of mileage from that.”
 
Beast-Boy just looked sadder, “Dude… trust me… my life's story is nothing to joke about…”
 
Beast-Boy told them that as a young child he contracted a rare, and fatal illness called Sakutia, and the only cure that would pare his life was an untested serum extracted from a green monkey. This serum had the unintended effect of turning his skin and hair green, his ears pointy, and gave him the ability to morph into any animal of his choice.
 
Beast-Boy was mutant, a freak, that was what he thought… but there was a time when he was all human. ..
 
From that point on, after the mutation, Garfield's life was shaped by nothing but hardships, tragedy, and misery. His parents died in a boating accident when he was no more than ten years old. Ever since he still believed he could have prevented that event, and blamed himself for them dying…
 
He was saved from two kidnappers that tried to use his powers to help them in their crimes, but they too had died in the jungle by snakes, and he was taken into a foster family… but soon after, they had died in a flood.
 
It was then that he was left under the care of his despised guardian, Nicholas Galtry, who had embezzled funds from his inheritance… and plotted to kill the boy to have all the wealth for himself.
 
However, bit luck began to shine on the young boy, as Galtry's plans were foiled by the Doom Patrol who rescued young Garfield, and recruited him as their newest member. This was where he donned his uniform, and his name… Beast Boy
 
The Doom Patrol was like a family to him; at least it was one that didn't die too soon like all the others. However, when it came to saving the Doom Patrol by letting the Brotherhood of evil escape… The Team Leader, Steve Dayton, also called Mentor had decided to expel Beast Boy from the patrol for being insubordinate.
 
Beast-Boy was most utterly crushed. He saves the team's lives and they expelled him. Leaving him once again, all alone, unloved, unwanted… and as he was before… unhappy.
 
Beast Boy tried his best to look for employment but nobody would even give him the chance. Badly judging him with his Green Skin and his power to morph into animals, which was also why he never was able to go to school either… no one took him in.
 
He could only spend most of his time scraping for food from stands, or whatever he could find in garbage, and he slept those cold and freezing nights in the alleys… but then things came for the better when he became part of the Teen Titans. He was giving a new home, with friends, food, shelter… and even a chance to use his powers to round up criminals again
 
 
Robin blinked his wide-eyes. Starfire held her hands to her mouth. “My goodness…”
 
“Yo'… not cool.” added Cyborg.
 
Raven was speechless, “Uh…” to her, that was almost, or exactly worse than being Trigon's portal-key.
 
“You did not deserve such cruel and unworthy punishment…” said Copy-Cat.
 
Beast-boy nodded, “Telling jokes, and getting into mischief… it was all a façade for me. I was using it to try and hide my inner-pain and keep it low… but now… with what happened with Terra…” a tear leaked through his eye, “I don't think I can go on anymore…”
 
His features then changed, “Don't you guys get it? Change robbed me of my life! They're killing me…!” he got up and walked sadly away, “Whatever…”
 
“Beast-Boy…?” Robin said getting up to follow him, but Cyborg held him back, “Yo' man… lets give the poor kid some space.” he said, “Just hope he'll be okay…”
 
Raven and Starfire even found themselves singing quietly in pity…
 
Where're you goin'… Where're you goin'?
Where're you goin'… Where're you goin'?
 
 
(Piano plays)
 
Beast-Boy went back to the tower, and sat all by himself on the roof… it was no wonder he felt so worthless, and didn't know where he was going from there…
 
(Beast-Boy)
 
I might know my next of kin,
if it weren't for this green-skin…
 
Oh… who am I?
 
(Stares at his reflection in the steel)
 
Some dude am I…
In a bad mood am I…
 
What… is wrong with me-e-e-e-e…?
 
(He reaches up to the dusk sky as the screen blacks out)