Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Past Woes ❯ The Hidden Side of Robin ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Weeks later, Jason approached Dick with his reply. He was in the middle of getting used to fighting with his leg and getting stronger every day. He got Dick away from the other Titans and at him down.

"Animal. I want to be Animal."

"Animal, eh? What's your abilities?" Dick asked.

"I want to be like an animal, wild and mean. I'm super flexible and can take a lot of punishment. I can also mimic animal noises."

"Sounds good," Dick replied. "What are your colors going to be?"

"Brown and red."

"Odd choice, but not bad. We've got to get the materials to make your costume. Speedy will come pick you up soon and you are to follow him to our secret lair. We'll give you your costume and introduce you to the world. So make sure you do your training with your new leg. You'll need your full strength for it. The three of us haven't gone out together in a while, so it's going to be a fun night."

"Okay!"

Jason did as he was told and worked as hard as he could at getting his full strength back. He finally was picked up by Speedy and was whisked off to the secret lair. He looked around the rooms and smiled. It was incredible. He paused at the consul and looked at Dick.

"So this is really happening?"

"Yep. Really happening," Dick said with a smile.

"Sweet! So you said you'd have my costume?"

Dick laughed. "Here ya go. Try it on, see if it fits."

"It had better," Roy groused. "It took most of our funds to get the materials to make this. We're definitely hitting a jewelry store tonight. And maybe a bank."

Jason looked around. "Where do I change?"

The three of the boys laughed and Dick said, "Right here. You aren't a girl and neither are we so you're fine. Just change."

Jason did so eagerly and it fit perfectly. It was brown and looked furry. It wasn't real fur, but synthetic and it made him look wild. Red was on the outline of his cape and the mask he wore had red material on the front to make his eyes look red. He grinned and was given some gloves that looked like animal paws.

"These will stick onto any surface and you'll be able to climb up the sides of buildings. Or on ceilings for that matter."

His shoes were the same way and he crouched down and snarled like an animal.

"Ooh, scary. Here. Put this in your ear. We will communicate over it. Only speak softly so that others don't hear what we're planning."

They gave him a few more basic instructions then they suited up. Circus Freak was in red and yellow colors with only a few black lines. Tidal Wave was black and deep purple, while the Music Meister was in neon green, orange, and black. They put their masks over their masks, which Robin had made Jason do when he tried on his costume, then they headed out. Circus Freak hacked past a bank's security system and took out the cameras while the Music Meister sang a soothing song to the guards. Animal was hesitant, but Tidal Wave walked forward boldly and they stole money. A lot of money. They took it back to their lair then Circus Freak grinned at Animal.

"This is the fun part, my young protégé. Watch and listen!"

He turned on the news and they were already covering the bank story.

"What now?" Animal asked.

"Now, newbie, we go out and steal again. But we make a bigger mess. No killing people though. Ever," Music Meister said with a nod.

"Bats is sure to be after us soon!" Tidal Wave cackled.

They went out again, targeting a jewelry store next. This time, there was no subtlety about what they did. Tidal Wave burst through the store from the inside out with water. The alarm blared and all four of them went for the jewels. They each had a nice small sack, which they hooked securely onto their belts, then bolted out of the store. They took to the roofs, moving fast, and were suddenly confronted by Batman. Animal was terrified, but excited as the other three began murmuring instructions to him.

"Don't panic and don't let him get you alone. You're not ready to try and outrun him," Circus Freak said sternly.

"Keep out of his reach. If he catches you, he will try to take you down. He won't hit you because your young, but you'll be trapped," Tidal Wave added.

"Overall? Just watch us this time," Music Meister put in.

Animal hovered back, but he could feel his old mentor's gaze on him. He growled low in his throat, crouching down on all fours and backing away.

"You three have been silent for a long while. Why now?"

"We just had to have some fun with you Batman," Circus Freak said.

Animal nearly yelped. He didn't even remotely sound like Robin or even Dick. He sounded insane. And that, Animal realized, is why they could even talk to Batman. They were insane, he thought, but it was a controlled insanity. Not like the Joker or most of the villains he'd faced. It was interesting, just like everything else with these boys. He grinned. He wouldn't talk this time. Just listen and watch. He'd have to school his voice to sound that insane. It would be fun.

"Yes, yes. Fun," the Music Meister half sang. "It's going to be fun!"

"Who is that?" Batman asked, though he didn't point.

"Oh you mean our Animal? He's new," Tidal Wave said with a wave of his hand. "We're training him, like you do with any beast."

Animal growled at him, not liking that. That was mean, but, he thought after a moment, necessary. So he let it slide. For now. He watched as Batman began to move forward, and Tidal Wave jerked water out of a pouch in his side. He moved them forward into whips and tripped the hero. Circus Freak grabbed Animal's arm and they took off. The Music Meister was off to his right, Circus Freak to his left, and Tidal Wave was behind him, throwing out ice onto the roof to stop Batman.

"When we get to the edge of the next building, jump. I promise you'll be fine," Tidal Wave said, dashing in front.

Animal did as he was told, jumping after Tidal Wave, and he was followed by Circus Freak with the Music Meister bringing up the rear. The sewer covering suddenly leaped up, propelled by water, and they went through the leaping water and down into the sewer, the lid landing perfectly in place when they through. The landing had been softened by a cushion of water that Tidal wave had brought up. There was a flash and a torch was lit. The water was surprisingly clean, but only around them. Everything else was filthy.

"How are you doing that?" Animal asked, pointing at where the water suddenly turned dirty.

"Water tension. It's kind of tricky to explain," Tidal Wave said. "Come on."

They walked for an hour before coming up and sneaking to their base. They got in and changed into their other costumes and put their civvie clothes over them. Jason just put on his civvies and they finally took off their final masks.

"That was exhilarating," Jason said with a grin.

"Yeah it was! We haven't done that in forever!" Dick said with a laugh. "This one was short because you're new, but it was still awesome. We could tell you were scared, and if we could, Bats could. He was aiming for you when we were running. You'd have made an easy takedown. You'll grow out of it though."

"Dick, I have a question," Jason said seriously.

Dick grinned, anticipating what he would be asked. "Yes little brother?"

Jason jumped up and down. "Can we do this again soon?"

"Of course!" the three older boys said with a laugh.