Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ Ten Guidelines for Dating Earth Boys ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Ten Guidelines for Dating Earth Boys
Chapter Two
By Jacque Nicole

Guideline #1 - Be patient with your Earth boy. After all, they are not the smartest creatures in the universe.
The sky was blue the next morning, but not just any shade of blue. The sky was that perfect shade of blue that always deceived a person into thinking that the day was going to be absolutely perfect. There were no clouds to be seen, the birds were chirping, and the flowers around Titans' Tower had finally decided to bloom.
Everything was absolutely perfect.
...Sort of.
Starfire's eyes shot open when she turned over in her bed, the rays of sunlight that filtered through her windows landing on her face. Having never been a grumpy morning person, she quickly bounded out of her bed and was in front of her window in a matter of seconds, taking in the beauty of the outdoors.
Sighing a happy sigh, she twirled around in circle in her room - something she rarely ever did. “Oh, today is going to be glorious!” she said, feeling elated. Suddenly, she came to an abrupt halt, remembering the events of the night before. It was like someone had cruelly bursted her bubble. “Today is not going to be glorious,” she stated with a defeated frown.
The large closet doors gave a quiet squeak as she slid them open revealing her collection of purple battle uniforms. She reached a slender hand inside and randomly snatched out an outfit, keeping in mind that today she was going to act sour. Robin had, after all, ruined her night, she reasoned. She had the right to be upset.
After slipping on her garment she plopped in front of her rarely used vanity mirror. There were very few occasions that she would wear makeup, so she felt no need to use it. She pulled her chair close so that she could rest her elbows on the surface. Letting out a bored breath, she began to make faces in the mirror. She had to choose the one that made her look the angriest, especially since she would be wearing the face for as long as she could.
If you did not know, Starfire was the type of alien princess to hold grudges... even if she could not keep them for a long time. Just ask Beast Boy, he could tell you. Her precious boyfriend was no exception, despite how much she loved him. He had hurt her, and would be required to apologize before she could forgive him. But until then...
Starfire leaned back in her chair with satisfaction. She chose to make the face a maknar made when someone removed its plimnf. Believe me, it was not a pleasant look.
Knock, knock, knock
Starfire's head turned toward the door.
Knock, knock, knock
She slowly rose from the chair, taking a deep breath before opening the door, already knowing who was on the other side.
Robin leaned on the wall with a smitten smirk on his face. It quickly became a ritual for Robin to drop by Starfire's door every morning after they began dating. They loved starting their mornings by being with each other, but by the look that Robin saw on Starfire's face, he couldn't help but think that, this morning, she wasn't so happy.
The smile on his face disappeared with an audible gulp. “Hey,” he greeted, reaching out to embrace her.
She took a step back, effectively evading him. “Morning's salutations to you,” she flippantly said as she brushed past him and began to walk down the hallway.
He stared at her retreating back in confusion before rushing to catch up with her. “Why so formal this morning?” he asked, taking her shoulder to stop her quick strides.
She shrugged him off and began to walk faster. “Hmph!”
The Boy Wonder rolled his eyes in exasperation and stopped chasing after her. `Here we go,' he thought to himself. “C'mon, Star,” he called to her from down the hallway. “Talk to me.” She stopped at the end of the hall and took a backward glance at him. He smiled with satisfaction. “Let's go out and have breakfast together.” She didn't move at all. Robin's enthusiasm did not fade in the slightest. “I'll even ask them to give us mustard!”
Robin wasn't completely sure, but he thought he saw Starfire's jaw drop. He mistook her shock at his audacity to ask her out when she was clearly displeased with him with excitement at the thought of mustard. “That's right, mustard,” he bribed. “Your favorite. Won't you like that?”
From down the hallway, Starfire turned all the way around to look at Robin directly. She was surprised that Earth boys could be so clueless. “I do not wish to consume mustard with you today or ever again, Robin!” she called back to him. With one last glare she disappeared around the corner with a final “Hmph!”
Robin was left alone in the hallway to wonder what had just occurred. He scratched his head, puzzled at his girlfriend's actions. After very little contemplation, he just shrugged his shoulders. “Must be that time of the month,” he resolved, following Starfire's path to the Main Room.
XOXOXOXOX
“You mean he didn't even realize that you were mad at him?” Raven asked Starfire.
Once the Tameranian girl entered the Main Room, she quickly found her pessimistic friend in the kitchen, sipping a cup of tea like she always did in the mornings. `Where's lover boy?' she had asked upon seeing Starfire. The Tameranian princess took a seat opposite the teenage sorceress and relayed the happenings of the morning to her.
“You are just as surprised as I was,” replied Starfire, her face sadly cupped in her hands. “I did not know that Earth boys could be so oblivious.”
Raven leaned back in her seat, arms folded over her chest. “Are you telling me that after living with three guys for this long you still haven't figured that out?”
“Well,” answered the alien princess, “I knew, but I did not know the extent of it. Robin was just acting...” She searched her mind for the correct word to use. “Well, he was just acting like a complete moron.”
Raven took a sip of her herbal tea, the heat of it stinging her tongue, just the way she liked it. “I think the words `moron' and `man' are interchangeable there.” She took another sip. “But if you ask me, you were acting pretty moronic too. I mean, making faces to decide how to look angry? You seriously did that?”
Starfire nodded. “I did. I did not know that I could be truly angry with Robin, so I decided to make a face to pretend that I was angry, but this morning... I do not know,” she said, looking off into space. “I was genuinely furious with him. His inability to see that I was upset made it worse.”
“Well, duh,” Raven deadpanned as she got up to put her cup in the dishwasher. “That's what boys do to girls. We understand them about as much as they understand us,” she said over the hum of the machine. She made her way to the table just as Cyborg and Beast Boy bumbled into the room and headed straight for the refrigerator.
“So,” the empath whispered so that they couldn't hear. “Do you still think writing a manual on Earth boys is going to be easy?”
Starfire groaned and hid her face in her hands in frustration. “I had almost forgotten about that.” She lifted her head from under her arms, looking at her two male teammates as they began to argue about whether they were going to have tofu or bacon for breakfast. She smiled softly at their antics. “I never said that it would be easy.”
The door opened once more to reveal Robin who strolled into the room with a grin on his face. When he saw Starfire, his grin got bigger. Instantly, Starfire's smile turned into a frown. Seeing this change in her friend's attitude, Raven decided to speak. “Don't forget to be patient with him, Star. After all, everyone knows that boys are kind of stupid.”
Raven's words caused Starfire to giggle. Cyborg, Beast Boy, and Robin's attention immediately focused on her. “What's so funny?” Cyborg asked as Beast Boy stealthily snuck the tofu out of the refrigerator behind the teenage robot's back.
Raven rolled her eyes. “Case and point.”
Starfire just laughed more at the scene.
Robin shook his head and chuckled under his breath. “Boy,” he mumbled to himself, remembering how upset she acted not even ten minutes earlier, “talk about mood swings.” Even though Robin's words were just barely audible, Starfire's hypersensitive hearing was able to pick it up. Abruptly, her laughter came to an end and her pout was right back on her face. She left the room in a huff.
Everyone's eyes went straight to the Boy Wonder.
He looked at his teammates in confusion. “What?” he asked innocently. “What did I do?”
... End Chapter Two...
Number of Words: 1,513
Posted: January 7, 2006
Last Edited: August 20, 2006