Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ TERRA ❯ Rain Of Stones ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Teen Titans or Carrie.
__________________________________________________________

An article from the Jump City Times:

RAIN OF STONES REPORTED

It was reliably reported by several people that a rain of stones came down from a clear blue sky on 8th Avenue on Saturday, August 14th.  The stones only rained down on the home of Margaret Markov, who lives at home alone with her 3-year-old daughter, Terra.  The rain of stones damaged the roof seriously, with the total damage cost being $50,000.  Mrs. Markov could not be reached for comment.
__________________________________________________________

Terra didn’t know how long she’d been in the closet.  It felt like ages.  Finally, the closet door opened.

“Go to bed,” Mrs. Markov said.  Terra nodded, and quickly walked off to her room.  As she changed into her nightgown, she remembered how the light bulb had exploded, the desk had moved, and the window had flown open.  It hadn’t been the first time something like that had happened.  There had been one other time, when she was three.

It was a hot day in August.  Terra was outside while her mother was indoors.  She noticed the neighbor girl, Emily Portland, laying in the sun in her bathing suit.  Terra cautiously approached her.  When Terra was at her side, Emily awoke.  

“Hi, Terra,” she said warmly.

Terra didn’t answer.  Instead, the small, blue-eyed girl pointed to Emily’s chest.

“What are those?” Terra asked.  Emily looked at her.

“Breasts,” Emily answered, her lips twitching slightly.  

“Oh,” Terra said.  “I won’t get them.”

Emily looked confused.

“Sure you will,” she said.  “But not until you’re older.”

“Momma says good girls don’t get them,” Terra said.

“Your momma said what?” Emily said, her voice sounding slightly angry.

“That good girls don’t,” Terra repeated quietly.

“Well, doesn’t your mother have them?”

“She said she was bad when she made me, and that’s why she has them.  She calls them…dirtypillows,” Terra said, feeling rather confused.

Emily opened her mouth, but at that moment, a shrill voice rang out.

“TERRA!”

Terra paled and tears filled her eyes as she ran back towards her house.  Mrs. Markov was standing near the back door, looking far angrier than Terra had ever seen her look before.  

“Leave her alone!” Emily shouted.

Mrs. Markov paid Emily no attention.  She grabbed Terra’s arm tightly and dragged her back into the house.  

“Momma, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry—“ Terra said once she was inside, but Mrs. Markov cut her off.  

“I
told you, you are never to talk to that whore!”

“I’m sorry, I forgot!” Terra wailed, now crying.

“Go to your closet and pray!”

“I don’t want to go to the closet!” Terra cried, now crying harder than ever.  Something hit the roof of the house.  Terra glanced up at the ceiling, but Mrs. Markov, who was now crazed with anger, seized her by the throat.  Terra choked.

“You’ll never look at that naked evilness ever again!” Mrs. Markov shrieked as Terra found it quite difficult to breathe.


A stone fell through the roof and landed on the floor with a loud crash.  Another stone fell through the roof, then another.  In a matter of seconds, stones were raining down and falling through the roof.  Mrs. Markov’s grip on Terra’s throat tightened.  Terra began to feel faint.  The stones were crashing through the roof even harder.

“Stop it! Stop it, witch!” Mrs. Markov snarled, but the stones kept on coming, and Terra’s world faded to black.

How Terra’s mother had managed to pay for all the damage costs was beyond her.  According to the neighbors (who had gathered outside to watch it, apparently) and the news article on it, the stones had only hit her house, Terra recalled.  It was quite weird.  Of course, at three, she hadn’t thought much of it then, and nothing like that had ever happened again.  Until this morning.  It was her who had made those things happen, she was sure of it now.  It intrigued her.  
__________________________________________________________
< br> On Friday morning, Miss Smith entered the locker room.  No one made a sound.

“I want you all to know you did a really shitty thing to Terra Markov yesterday morning,” Miss Smith said.  “A really shitty thing.”

The girls said nothing.  They glanced at each other and away from Miss Smith.  None of them had ever heard a teacher call anything ‘shitty’.  Kathryn simply stood there with her arms crossed.  Miss Smith couldn’t do anything to her—her father was a lawyer, and ran the entire city.  No one dared go against him.

“At any time during your little ‘joke’ did any of you stop to think that Terra Markov has feelings? That she’s a real person, just like the rest of you? Well? Did you?” Miss Smith said.

Raven Roth was looking at the floor.  Kathryn continued to look straight ahead.

“You all have a week’s detention.”

The girls sighed in relief.  Kathryn let out a laugh.

“But it will be my detention,” Miss Smith continued.  “And I am going to run you ragged.”

A few of the girls looked nervous now.  

“I won’t come,” Kathryn said.

“If you don’t come, the result will be three days’ suspension and refusal of your prom tickets,” Miss Smith said.  All the girls looked horrified.  Kathryn felt furious.  

She can’t do that! She can’t ban me from the prom!

“My idea for what you did yesterday was three days’ suspension and refusal of your prom tickets,” Miss Smith said.  “Unfortunately, the school’s administration wing is staffed almost entirely by men, and they don’t truly understand how utterly awful what you did was.  So, you received a week’s detention instead.  Now get changed.”  Miss Smith left.

“She can’t do this! She can’t get away with this! Come on, if we all stick together, she can’t do anything to us!” Kathryn shouted.

“Kathryn, shut up!” Raven said flatly.
__________________________________________________________

Terra didn’t go to school on Friday.  She knew she’d have to go back on Monday.  She was currently sitting on her bed, staring intently at a pencil on her dresser, trying to make it move.  It hadn’t moved.  She concentrated harder.  She thought she saw it move a little.  She took a breath and tried again.  Nothing happened.  She had done it before.  Why couldn’t she do it now?

Maybe it was a fluke.  Maybe I can’t do anything.  I’ll just be stuck here for the rest my life, friendless and alone—

“No!” Terra cried.  “No, no, no!” She looked up. The pencil was floating in the air.  She smiled.  She’d done it.