Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ TERRA ❯ The Dance ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Teen Titans or Carrie.
_______________________________

When they entered the gym, Terra was stunned at how beautiful it was.  The banner, which was hung on the stage where the King and Queen would be crowned, was beautifully colored.  Many students were dancing to the music being played by the band.  

“Nervous?” Gar asked her.  

“Yeah,” Terra admitted softly.

“Don’t be,” he said.  “They’re a good crowd.  Really.”

As they started to walk towards a table, people looked shocked at the sight of Terra.

“Hey, Gar,” a boy with black hair greeted.  He was accompanied by Kori Anders.

“Hey, Dick!  I got another joke for you.  What’s a parasite?”

Dick didn’t answer.

“Something you see in Paris!” Gar said.  Terra giggled.

“You’re not funny.”

“Terra thinks so!”

“I don’t.”

Kori turned to Terra.

“They’ll be at that for awhile.  They have that argument every day,” the red-head explained.  She eyed Terra’s dress.  “Oh my God! Where’d you get that dress? I love it!”

“I made it,” Terra said.  Kori’s eyes widened.

“No way!”

“Yes,” Terra said, blushing.  “I—I enjoy sewing.”

“Hey, Kori!” Dick said.  He and Gar had apparently resolved their argument.  “Want to dance?”

Kori smiled.

“I’d love to!”

Dick led Kori onto the dance floor.  Gar turned to Terra.

“You know, I’d say she wants to be your friend,” he said.  Terra looked at him.

“Really?”

“Yeah,” he said.  Gar paused.  “Do you want to dance?”

Terra hesitated.  She didn’t know how, but didn’t want to admit that quite yet.

“Can we just sit down for a little bit?”

“Sure,” Gar said, and led her to a table.  They sat in silence for a moment.  “Do you want some punch?” Gar asked.

“Yes, please,” Terra said.  Gar got up to retrieve the punch.

“Terra?”

Terra looked up.  It was Miss Smith.  She was looking very pretty. Her brown hair was up, and she was wearing a yellow dress.

“Hello, Miss Smith,” Terra said.  “You look very pretty.”

Miss Smith sat down next to Terra.

“Thank you, Terra,” she said.  “You are beautiful.”

Terra smiled.

“Thank you.  That’s really nice of you to say so.  I know I’m not—not really—but thank you anyway,” she said.

“I wouldn’t say it if it wasn’t true,” Miss Smith told her.  “I remember my own prom.  My date was a lot taller than me, and the corsage he gave me clashed with my dress, but it was magic.  It was wonderful.  I’ve never had another date like it.  Is it like that for you?”

“It’s very nice,” Terra said.

“Is that all?”

“No.  It’s so wonderful, I can’t describe it,” Terra said.  Miss Smith laid a hand on Terra’s arm.

“You’ll never forget it,” she said.  She got up as Gar was returning with the punch.  “Have a wonderful time, Terra.”  Gar sat down as Miss Smith was leaving.

“What did she want?” Gar asked, setting the cups of punch down on the table.

“We were just talking,” Terra said.  “She told me about her own prom.”
________________________________

From Prom Night: the Case of Terra Markov by Victor Stone

The subject of Terra’s mother is one that needs more study.  Since she is dead, we don’t know a whole lot about her.  However, the little evidence we have suggests that Mrs. Markov was waiting for Terra to return home on Prom Night.
_______________________________

“Though shalt not suffer a witch to live,” Mrs. Markov whispered.  She was certain of it now.  Her daughter was possessed by the Devil.  There was only one way to save her.

“She must be sacrificed.”
______________________________

Gar looked at Terra.

“Do you want to dance?” he asked again.

“No,” Terra said.  “I—I don’t know how.”

“It’s okay,” Gar said.  “This is a slow song.  Come on, I’ll show you.”  He took her by the hand and led her to the dance floor.  

“Okay, we just have to stand close to each other and shift our weight back and forth, just like everyone else is doing,” Gar said.  Terra nodded, looking nervous.  Gar placed one of her hands on his shoulder, and held the other one.  He guided her along.  After a couple minutes, she got the hang of it, and tentatively rested her head on his shoulder.

“Thank you, Gar,” she said.

“For what?”

“For taking me—for being so nice to me,” Terra said.  “I’m really glad I got to be your date tonight.”

“Me too,” Gar said.

_____________________________

“Is it time yet?” Kathryn asked for the third time that night.  Frank checked his watch.  It was almost 9:00.

“Yeah, we’re going now.”

Kathryn grinned.

“Excellent,” she said.
__________________________

After the song ended, Gar began to lead Terra back to the table.  The voting for the King and Queen would start soon.  The more time he spent with Terra, the more he liked her.  She was sweet, nice, and pretty.  The things the other students said about her weren’t true at all.  She wasn’t Raven, but she was definitely special.  When they arrived at their table, Gar gently pressed his lips against her cheek.

Terra raised a hand to the place where he had kissed her, blushing.