Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Devil's Pay ❯ The Raven's Call ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Welcome to chapter two!!
((I don't really have anything witty to say, so I'll stop.))
Chapter Warning: Characters make cameos, and the authoress pretends to know what she's talking about.
The Devil's Pay
Chapter One: Raven's Call
“Well this is just great.”
Richard Grayson stared over the dead body, closing his eyes at her mangled position.
“What's the story?”
His question was directed to the girl behind him. She brushed back a stubborn strand of purple hair and tapped her boots together.
“I don't know, Dick,” she said in an exasperated tone. “I'm just tired of dead bodies showing up on my doorstep.”
“I've been meaning to ask you about that. And stop calling me Dick.”
“Stop acting like one.” She brushed past him, stepping over the body. “I don't know anything about it. Ask the police over there.”
“Police are annoying,” Rich sighed, “I hate talking to them.”
“Well, they would've identified her by now.”
Rich frowned. “Why are you so annoying?”
“Because you are.”
This was the usual conversation between Rich and Raven. Raven had been annoyed by every authority figure that showed up since the murders had started, and Rich had done nothing to relieve her stress.
Rich turned to the agents closing off the perimeters. The police had been dismissed long ago, after the third murder, and now it as mostly FBI agents and himself, the one of two detectives.
“Roy!” he called, “Do we have an I.D. yet?”
The redhead looked up and pulled off his blood-covered glove, throwing it into the sanitation bag. He walked over, shaking his head.
“We found her I.D. in her purse. Name's Tara Markov.”
“Anybody we need to call?”
Roy grinned, flipping open a small black address book. “A few. There's a brother in here.”
Rich's frowned deepened. “You're an idiot. I'll call the brother.”
Roy tossed him the book. “Fine. What else did we find out?”
“Nothing. We're gonna get an autopsy done and check for fingerprints and whatnot. I don't know how this keeps happening.”
Raven walked up, her eyes focused on the body on the ground. “Tara Markov? Sounds familiar.”
Roy grinned. “Hey, Rae. How `bout-”
“Don't you have a girlfriend?” she glared at him.
“Yeah,” he sighed, “I forget sometimes.”
She shook her head. “I don't know what she sees in you.”
“No one does,” Rich said. He pushed Roy lightly. “Get back to work.”
Rich pulled out his cell, and glanced at the number in his hand.
“Who are we calling?” Raven asked.
He glared at her. “Are you even allowed in here?”
She smiled. “Consider my presence payback for driving back all my costumers.”
He heard the phone ring.
><><><><><><><
“Where the hell is she?!”
Rich looked up; Raven perked her head up.
“I'm guessing that's the brother,” Raven said.
It was.
He was being held back by Roy and Wally, struggling to get over the DO NOT CROSS line. He bore a small resemblance to the girl that had been carted off for her autopsy. His head was auburn, nearing the same color as Roy's, and his figure was bulkier.
Rich walked up to them, touching Roy and Wally on the shoulder. They gave him an incredulous look then let go. The brother fell forward, tangling himself in the yellow tape.
“Ouch,” Roy commented quietly.
Rich shot him a glare and they walked off.
He turned to the man before him. “So you're-”
“Brion,” he said, “Where is Tara?”
“They're taking her to the mortuary. You'll need to make sure it's really her.”
“Where-”
“I'll be taking you. I need to ask you a few questions.”
“You're going to leave me alone?” Raven chimed.
Rich rolled his eyes and gave her an emphasized, “Yes.”
She muttered something that sounded something like, “Hate you.”
He sighed and turned back to Brion. “We suspect your sister has been a victim of the Phantom Murderer.”
The Phantom Murderer had been in the news a lot lately. Three months ago a girl had been found in front of the Magickal Happenings shop owned by Raven Roth. Her scalp had been ripped off, and she was gutted. In the next few months, five more people had been found, no real connection, except they all showed up in front of the Magickal Happenings bookstore. At first, Raven Roth had been a prime suspect, but that had been quickly cleared, since all she did was spend time in her bookstore, with security cameras to prove it, not to mention she had no connection to any of the victims whatsoever. The Phantom Murderer was named justly so; he left behind no evidence to his person, and there were never any witnesses.
“She's… she's dead?” Brion breathed.
“I'm afraid so.”
“So what… what am I supposed to do…?”
Rich lead him away. “You should see her first.”
He nodded and followed.
Authoress Notes:
Hopefully my chapters will get longer. Until then, enjoy what I give you.
Character list: Rich Grayson (Robin); Raven Roth (Raven, duh); Roy Harper (Speedy); Wally West (Kid Flash); Brion Markov (Geo-Force); Tara Markov (Terra); That's all I got for now, but I'll be adding more later.
Next Chapter: A few more characters show up, and pairings began to emerge.