Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Little Cherub III by Beautifulpurpleflame ❯ Let Me Help You ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: It is with regret that I inform you that I do not, nor have I ever, own Teen Titans.
Chapter 5
Raven's hand was shaking as she poured yet another cup of tea. She would inhale normally and exhale in a cough. Her throat was gone and her chest stung horribly. This simple cold that was supposed to go away in a few days had lasted a good week now and only seemed to be getting worse. But she kept taking the medicine so she wouldn't become contagious to the others.
All the while Beast Boy watched as she became more and more ill. He did his best to help her out, but not enough to look like he was really worrying about her. The truth was that he was worried sick… no pun intended. She had a fever as well and was shaking horribly. He wanted to just scoop her up, put her in bed, and tell her not to leave until she was well. But she would never allow that.
“Mumma are you still sick?” asked Alex. They were all sitting at the table eating breakfast. All accept Cyborg who was staying at the Titans East with Bumble Bee.
“Cold's last a while, sweetheart,” said Raven, her voice almost gone. “But it'll go away soon.”
“I hope so,” said Alex. “Cuz I don't like to hear you cough so much.”
“Neither do I,” said Starfire. “I do hope you get well soon.”
“You know, Raven, you really shouldn't be up,” said Robin. “You look a little flushed.”
“I'm fine,” said Raven sipping her tea. She hadn't been able to eat solid foods in two days, and this meant she was peeing just as often as Starfire.
Beast Boy quickly leaned across the table and placed his cool hand to her burning forehead. “Raven you've got a fever!” he said quite upset.
“It's nothing,” she said brushing his hand away and continuing to feed Arielle. Then she started to cough again. She held her chest and clenched her eyes shut as the searing pain tore at her lungs.
“Raven you must rest,” said Starfire growing upset. A little too upset, but that was due to her pregnancy hormones. “I do not wish to see you ill anymore.” And with that tears streamed down her face. Robin rubbed her back and tried to hush her.
“Fine, I'll go take some more medicine right now,” said Raven standing up.
“You don't need medicine, you need bed rest,” said Robin.
“I have far too many things to do,” said Raven through another set of coughs. She breathed in a strained breath and then headed off to the bathroom. Beast Boy quickly followed her.
She looked in her cough syrup bottle and saw that it was just about empty. “Damn!” she said to herself. She poured the remainder in the plastic cap and threw the bottle away. She quickly downed it, made a bitter face, and then through the cap away. She closed the cupboard above the sink and saw Beast Boy's reflection in the mirror. She gave a small shriek and jump, but quickly regained her composure. “Can I help you?”
“Raven, I know you said that you didn't want me to get involved with your cold,” he said firmly. “But this has gone far enough. You are really sick now and if you don't rest you're gonna kill yourself.”
“I'm not going to…” she started but quickly went into a cough that made her knees go out. She grabbed the sink and steadied herself. That was it. Beast Boy had had it. Once she was through he grabbed her by the arm and led her to their room. “Beast Boy, let go of me!” she demanded, but was too weak to actually pull free of his grip.
“No,” he said as they entered their room. “You are gonna get in that bed and you are gonna rest.”
“I already told you that I have too many things to do,” said Raven angrily.
“Like what?” he asked, just as agitated. “I can take care of the kids and any wedding business can wait until you're well. And if we get called out Starfire can take care of Alex and Arielle. Now get in that bed!”
“Beast Boy…”
“Raven, please stop doing this!” he said desperately. “Why do you insist on suffering? You're sick and it's affecting all of us! Starfire is crying up a storm, Robin is frustrated from dealing with Starfire, Alex and Arielle have both been very lethargic lately, and I just can't handle watching you cough up a lung and know that you don't want me to help you.” He got close to her and took her hands. “Now please, get in the bed.”
Raven looked up into his worried emerald eyes. Now she knew that she couldn't deny it any longer. She did need to rest. So she sighed and said, “Alright.” He helped her into the bed and made sure she was comfortable. He kissed her on the forehead and really noticed hot warm she was.
When he went back out to the common room he announced that he had successfully gotten Raven to rest. This was a large relief to all in the room. Even Arielle let out a sigh.
Now Beast Boy found his plate to be completely full. He had to take care of his two kids, a sick Raven, and protect the city, which was harder since Cyborg wasn't there. Not only that, but he really was all alone. Starfire was too pregnant to be of much help, and Robin was taking care of his wife.
“Daddy, when's it gonna be dinnertime?” asked Alex for the third time.
“Crud, I keep forgetting,” he said with Arielle in his arms. For some reason she didn't want to be put down and would fuss when he tried to. “Uh, what do you want?”
“I don't know,” said Alex innocently.
He looked through the cupboards quickly. “How about… macaroni and cheese?”
“Only mumma makes it right,” said Alex.
“I can make it like mumma,” said Beast Boy.
“No, you use that fake cheese,” said Alex sighing.
“I thought you liked that fake cheese,” said Beast Boy taking out a few pots.
“No,” said Alex very sweetly.
Beast Boy sighed and said, “Okay, I'll make it with the real cheese.” He realized that to make such a meal he would need both of his hands. He went to put Arielle down in her high chair, but she clung around his neck tightly. “Baby girl you gotta let go,” he said as he was being choked by his daughter. She only made negative sounds and held onto him tighter. “Arielle, daddy has to make dinner,” he said, trying to reason with the year and a half year old. She simply refused again and buried her face into his shoulder.
Suddenly Raven appeared in the kitchen. Her hair was a mess and she looked quite tired and, of course, sick.
“Raven, what are you doing up?” he asked adjusting Arielle back on his hip.
“I… needed... some… tea,” she said slowly. Her throat hurt so much that just saying those simple words caused her much pain.
“I can get it for you,” he said.
“You… look… busy,” she said and went towards the stove to reheat her kettle.
“I'm not busy,” he said gently pushing her away from the stove so he could take care of it. “I just can't seem to get Arielle to get off me and I have to make Alex dinner and then they both need to be washed up…”
“Beast… Boy,” she said hushing him. She reached out to Arielle and the child quickly leapt into her arms. Beast Boy was stunned, and a little nervous. Raven was obviously very weak and he wasn't sure how long she could hold her. But Raven went over to the high chair and placed her daughter into it. She grabbed a few graham crackers and put them on Arielle's little tray. The child quickly started to enjoy her sweat treat quietly.
“Thanks,” said Beast Boy humbly.
“Just… make… my… tea… please,” she said and then turned around and headed back to her room.
“And my macaroni and cheese, daddy,” said Alex, who made sure they didn't forget that he was there as well. Beast Boy sighed and got to work.
Once Alex was in bed Beast Boy felt a wave of relief sweep over him. He hadn't realized how tiring it was to take care of two small children. Raven had basically done it every day, since he was off saving the city more often than not. But now that they were both asleep he could go take care of his ill fiancé.
He walked in and found the room to be cooler than usual. He saw that the window was wide open. She laid in the fetal position on top of the covers in nothing but her underwear and a tight tee shirt. This couldn't be good. He quickly went over to her and saw sweat gleaming off of her forehead. He felt her face and found it to be hotter than ever.
“Oh God Raven,” he said mainly to himself.
“It'll break soon,” she said in a half daze. She was feeling a bit faint and she was growing scared of becoming unconscious.
“But it might not,” said Beast Boy. He gingerly picked her curled body and began to carry her out of the room bridal style.
“What are you doing?” she asked in a weak, confused voice.
“I'm gonna cool you down,” he said in a quiet voice as he walked down the hall and into the bathroom. He sat her down on the toilet, which she was barely able to stay on, and tore his shirt off and his pants, leaving his boxers on. He knew that she was a little too big for the tub and that she wouldn't be able to stand up on her own in the shower, so he would have to support her. He picked her up, helped her into the shower, and turned the cool water on. She gasped and gave a shriek of surprise, but Beast Boy just held her close until she calmed down. “This is gonna help your fever.”
“I'm getting wet,” she said deliriously.
“It's okay,” he said, helping her rest her head on his chest. Her face was so hot and he was actually scared.
She suddenly began to giggle and laugh for no reason. Now he new she was having a fever high and needed to be calmed down. She continued to laugh and laugh into his chest, until finally her knees went out. He caught her before she could fall, but she was absolute dead weight.
“Raven,” he said struggling to keep her up. “Raven!” She moaned and tried to find her footing.
“I can't do it,” she said crying. “I can't stand up.”
“It's okay, I've got you,” he said getting a better grip on her.
“No, I need to sit down,” she pleaded.
“Okay,” he said and slowly he bent his knees and sat down, with her lying on his chest. She was curled up between his legs and clutching his chest desperately. She was still very hot and he couldn't stand the feel of her fevered skin.
It was very cramped in the tub, but he knew she didn't have the strength to stand. She was now shaking and he held her close. The water had drenched them and Raven was sputtering on the water that was dripping off of Beast Boy's face and onto her. He moved her head so she could breath.
“I don't want to be sick anymore,” Raven cried.
“I don't want you sick anymore either,” said Beast Boy very upset. “Why wouldn't you let me help you? Why did you let yourself get this sick?”
“I thought I could handle it,” said Raven holding him tighter. “It was supposed to go away in a couple days. I didn't think it would go this far.” She started to cough and Beast Boy could feel her whole body tense up. She was choking and gasping for breath. Beast Boy helped her sit up with her back against his chest and tried to help her get air into her lungs. But she was struggling. She sounded like a fish out of water.
“Calm down,” he whispered into her ear and rubbing her chest. “Breath in,” he said taking a deep breath in. “And out,” and he exhaled. She was still sputtering and coughing, but he continued to tell her to breath. “Come on, breath in… and out.”
“I… can't” she choked out.
“Yes you can,” he said holding close to him. “Yes you can.”
She was trembling horribly and she felt exhausted. Everything hurt and ached, she was soaking wet, and she couldn't remember how to breathe. But she was pressed up against Beast Boy's chest and she could feel him breathing. Breathing for her. She felt his chest fall and rise with air in a rhythmic fashion. She began to feel her own chest falling and rising with his. Her coughing was slowing down and now she was breathing in raspy breaths. Finally the coughs subsided and air was able to make it into her lungs.
Beast Boy carried her back to their room. They were both soaked to the bone, but her fever did feel like it went down a little. He got her to the bed and stripped her of her soaking wet panties and tee shirt. He dried her off and placed her in a set of dry, cool pajamas. Once he got changed he lied down next to her and took her into his arms. She was still shaking, but she seemed to be calmed by his touch. Slowly she felt her body relax and she drifted off into sleep. Once he knew that she was asleep, Beast Boy allowed himself to fall asleep as well.