Teen Titans Fan Fiction ❯ The Pheonix Chronicles ❯ Ghosts From the Present and Feelings From the Past ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

O.k. So here we are again. Back with another chapter of Pheonix Chronicals.
I apologize for the length of time between the last chapter and this one.
I've been sick AND working on another story. For those who don't know I also write Gundam Wing fics. :)
But, that story is FINALLY done and I can now return my FULL attention to This Story! :)
_________________________________________________________________ _________________
 
Pheonix Chronicals - Chapter 5: Ghosts From the Present and Feelings From the Past
_________________________________________________________________ _________________
 
Robin stood in the doorway to the infirmary, just watching Raven and the newcomer, before doing or saying anything. Raven was standing in front of the Lifesigns Monitor, but she was looking at the person on the bed. Robin stood there a minute more before walking the last few feet into the room and clearing his throat to make his presence known. Much to his chagrin, Raven didn't even seem to notice him. Then...
 
"It's odd, isn't it?"
 
Robin jumped at the sudden sound of her voice in the quiet room. But she continued before he could respond.
 
"From all accounts and evidence, he apparently fell out of the sky, skipped across the water, slammed to a stop on our island and still managed to stand up and give us a good run for a butt kicking." She shook her head in something that looked to Robin like wonder. "It's amazing he survived at all, but in actually, he hardly got more than a scratch from the whole ordeal." She finally turned to look at Robin then. "I don't know how Phaelyn did it."
 
"Phaelyn? Is that his name?"
 
She nodded.
 
"How do you know his name?"
 
"A ghost told me. I just had to remind myself."
 
Robin's brows lifted, then drew together in an expression of confusion. Then he was really confused as Raven's mouth spread into a small smile and she shook her head.
 
"That didn't make much sense to you, did it? Sorry."
 
Then Raven started toward the door.
 
"Uh, Raven? Where are you going?"
 
She turned back to look at Robin. "Nevermore."
 
"Nevermore? Why? What's going on, Raven?" Robin's patience was wearing thin by this point. "This isn't the time to be running off to talk to yourself! I need answers! How do you know this guy? Where is he from? What does he mean by 'Demons destroyed his world'?"
 
Raven shook her head. "I don't know right now, but as soon as I remind myself of what I knew then, I'll be sure to let you know next."
 
Robin was pretty sure Raven was losing her mind now. "What? That didn't make any sense."
 
Raven sighed heavily. "Of course it did, just not to you. Just do me one small favor."
 
"What?"
 
"Take care of Phaelyn till I return and whatever you do, DON'T interrogate him like some common criminal, because he's not! He's the victim here and I expect you to behave while I'm gone."
 
Robin looked at the guy that lay on the bed. "Victim? But, Raven, I don't..." He had turned to look at her only to realize she was already gone. "And just what did she mean by 'behaving' myself? Who does she think she is, my mother?" he grumbled to no one at all.
 
_______________________
 
Raven stood in front of the mirror that served as her doorway to Nevermore, wondering exactly what had come over her back there with Robin. She shook her head in disgust. She was never cheeky like that, and with ROBIN no less! Arghh! She was just as curious and annoyed as Robin was, but she seemed to be the only one who had any of the answers...IF she could only coax them out of her head. But she couldn't do that from out here, so with another disgusted shake of her head, Raven passed through the mirror into Nevermore.
 
The first thing Raven noticed was that someone had been redecorating.
First: Gone was anything that even remotely resembled what Raven remembered as Nevermore. In it's place was a long, wide corridor with what appeared to be mirrors on each side and opened up into a far room she couldn't quite make out from here. And the whole thing was blanketed in a a starry nighttime sky for a roof. Looking up was like looking into a primordial universe in it's fundamental beginning stages, complete with shooting stars whizzing by and meteors floating about lazily. And the stars were so real, and appeared so close, it felt like you could reach out and touch them.
 
Raven was drawn back to the corridor by someone calling her name. It was a soft, faint voice coming from the end of the hall. But as she started down the hall, Raven was startled as a hand came out from one of the mirrors and grabbed her arm. She whirled to face the mirror only to realize she was facing one of her emotions. Sassy it seemed, if the look on her face was any hint, and she was in her own version of Raven's room.
 
"Hey, Rae! Glad to see you made it!"
 
Sassy flounced over to her bed, flopping onto it, and picking up the magazine that lay open to a picture.
Raven looked at the magazine, trying to figure out what Sassy was looking at. Sassy smiled and waved her in.
 
"Come on in!" She patted the bed beside her and ruffled the magazine. "Take a load off and help me look through this thing."
 
Raven shook her head, saying,"No thanks, Sass. But I am curious. What are you looking at?"
 
Sassy held up the magazine so Raven could see the cover. It had a huge picture of a smiling Phaelyn plastered all over it. Her confusion showed as Sassy laughed.
 
"I just had to get this edition! All about our mystery guest, the Flaming Fireball, Phaelyn!" Sassy kicked her feet and squealed like a schoolgirl. "The articles are great, but the pictures are better." Sassy gave Raven one of her trademark grins. "He's so sexy, don't you think?"
 
Raven just shook her head at Sassy's antics. Actually, by now, she should be getting used to them. But, the magazine gave Raven an idea.
 
"Sass?"
 
"Hmm?" Sassy was enthralled in her magazine already.
 
"Can I borrow your mag? You said it was about Phaelyn and I could definitely use the insight."
 
Sassy turned to look at Raven, clutching the mag to her and looking like Raven had lost her mind.
 
"Are you crazy?! This is my issue. Get your own!"
 
Raven looked at her emotion, somewhat annoyedly.
 
"And where, pray tell, do I find my own?"
 
Sassy waved vaguely down the corridor.
 
"Go ask Instincts. I got mine from her." Sassy was already buried deep in the magazine again.
 
Raven sighed and started down the corridor. As she walked down the hall, Raven realized all the mirrors were in fact doorways into each of her emotions' personal versions of her room. Some of them were sleeping, meditating, or looking through books. Others were standing at the 'doors' watching her as she walked down the hallway.
 
As she looked through the rooms, Raven noticed one that was quite possibly more dark and depressing than her real room. In it was one of her emotions, laying on the bed, tied up in a straight jacket. She couldn't see clearly who it was but she had a good guess.
 
"Pessimism?"
 
The emotion in question raised her head to look at Raven. Pessimism was lying on her back, arms put in a straight-jacket, laced up and gagged. She tried to say something, but it had little effect as she couldn't get anything intelligible out around the gag. She settled for a sour look in Raven's direction instead. Raven took the hint and walked through the 'door' so she could remove the gag.
 
"Took you long enough. Now would you untie me? Or would that be too much of an imposition?"
 
Raven looked at her rather sarcastic sounding emotion and frowned.
 
"Well, you sound real grateful. No wonder you were tied and gagged. How did Optimism get you this time?"
 
"She tricked me! The lying bitch..." The rest of the explaination was lost among death glares and foul grumblings.
 
"Well, that's not like her. Are you sure you didn't do something to her?"
 
She grumbled something that sounded suspiciously like 'Get stuffed'. Raven just quirked an eyebrow and said, "If you want loose, you'll spill it. Now."
 
Pessimism just looked at her darkly and finally said, "Why bother? You'll just agree with her. So if you're not going to be helpful, get out of my room. Now."
 
Raven looked at her, a little taken aback, but then shrugged, saying, "Whatever," and walking out of Pessimism's room and back out into the hall.
 
Raven started back down the corridor,, again looking into the 'rooms', and taking note of who was inside and what their room looked like.
 
"Raven..."
 
Raven's attention was once again drawn to the room at the far end of the hall where it appeared to have someone standing in the doorway. It was hard to tell from this distance, but the person didn't look like one of her emotions. At least, not one she was used to. But that wasn't to say they weren't familiar. They were. She just couldn't place from where.
 
About then Raven walked straight into a magazine as it was thrust into the hallway right in front of her face.
 
"Gossip Central, get your copy now, while it's hot!" shouted Curiosity, also known as the 'Gossip Queen'. She just can't stand to not know something. And once she found out, Everyone knew.
 
Raven grabbed the magazine with a low growl, but stopped as she seen it was a copy of the mag Sassy had. Raven looked at Curiosity and noticed that Instincts and Intuition, the twins, were also in her room. But before she could say anything Instincts said, "Looks like you finally found us."
 
"Took her long enough," said Intuition. Her twin swatted her on the head.
 
"Leave Rae alone, Tuey! She's having a rough day!" Instincts scolded.
 
"Hey, Tinky! That hurt! And I was only stating the obvious. It's not like she actually listens to us or anything," said Intuition, rubbing her head.
 
Raven shook her head sighing. These two were almost as annoying as Sassy. Now they were standing face to face argueing. While all of her emotions were in fact part of Raven, these two, more than any of the others,acted like siblings. That's why they were dubbed the 'Twins'. Raven cleared her throat, getting their attention. Both of them looked at her and said in unison,"Yes?"
 
"I was told to come find you guys if I wanted to find out more about Phaelyn. So here I am. Spill it."
 
The twins just looked at each other and grinned. Unfortunately, it was one of those grins that made the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Instincts turned to Raven and said, "You don't want us..."
 
"You want her," said Intuition.
 
"Who?" asked Raven.
 
"Wisdom," said Tinky.
 
"And where is she?" asked Raven, patience starting to thin.
 
"Down there," said Tuey, pointing down the hall toward the room at the end.
 
Then both of them stepped out of the mirror and took hold of Raven's hands saying, "Come on, Rae. We'll introduce you."
 
The twins led Raven down the hall and into the room at the end, which looked kinda like the Titan's t.v. lounge, in record time. What really caught her attention was the emotion that stood up off the couch and walked over to the three of them. She stopped right in front of Raven.
 
'It can't be...' she thought as her eyes grew wide with suprise.
 
The emotion just smiled, having heard her thoughts, and said simply, "Hello, Raven. I am Wisdom."
_________________________________________________________________ _________________
 
O.k.! So I finally finished this chapter! Sheesh! Took me long enough, I know. But I hope it was worth the wait. Next chapter sooner. Promise!!!