Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Fan Fiction ❯ A little secret ❯ A little secret ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A little secret

Donatello had been going through the charts for days again hoping to find a mistake, if he was going to break the news to his brother he'd better be sure of it or he would pay it dearly.

Donny really wanted to smack himself for even looking at the information and he knew he should be careful to keep this information to himself for He could already imagine Mikeys and Raph reaction to it and he was quite fond on having his head attached to his neck no matter how much self control the affected turtle he had been examining had.

He decided to talk with Leonardo one quiet evening when he was certain Raph, Mikey were out for the night and master Splinter was in one of his yearly pilgrimages somewhere.

Leonardo was meditating in the middle of the dojo with his eyes closed. To the non instructed eye he look exactly as the rest of them, which had made Donny doubt about the profile he had been looking at but lately the differences had started to become more obvious the flat plastron, the shorter and thinner tail, he blushed with guilt, the sudden growth spur and that rare to n on existent need to cut his nails that had alerted Donny of a possible dietary deficiency and had led to the full checkup.

As soon Donny step in the mat Leo open his eyes and gave Don an eerie look. “So how did I do?” he asked closing his eyes again ready to take any news with his mind clear.

Leo I need you to come to the lab I really need to talk to you

“That bad ah!, am I mutating again?” Leo asked

“No, you aren’t sick” Donny promptly replied "but still I need to talk to you preferably away from here" he thought trying to have this talk as far as possible from anything pointy or sharp.

Once in the lab Leo had taken a sit and was curiously looking at Donny’s fish tank that provided cooling to his massive computer, for some reason Donny refused to meet his glance so he focus his sight on the fish tank instead.

Finally Donny cleared his throat “Leo have your ever felt as something wasn’t right?”

“We are the result of an accident induced by an alien mutagen of course I know something is bound not to be right” Leo calmly replied.

“Well yeah, but have you ever wonder why you need to work twice as hard to keep up” Leonardo scratched his head he certainly had to work twice as hard as Raph and still he was nowhere near with his strength but he had skill and that always gave him the upper hand so he had never really lost any sleep over it.

“Well we all know I was not the healthiest as we grew up” Leo replied trying to explain it.

Now it was Don the one scratching his head this was not going to be easy.

Leonardo looked at Don’s distraught face and decided to end his pain.

“Don, please cut to the chase I am a big boy I can handle things”

Donny broke in a nervous giggle “yes sure… big boy”

Leo sighed. “He was trained to be a warrior and dying or whatever was part of the contract and Donny was not one to be hanging in the bushes so he really did not get Don’s attitude.

“Well about the big boy part?” Donnatello replied

“Donnatello!” Leo finally snapped trying to make his brother talk straight.

“Well you see, we all were, in the beginning normal healthy babies of the Trachemys scripta elegans”

“So we are red eared sliders etc” Leo nodded he was not really keen on biology but he knew that at least, so he turned his eyes from the fish tank and met Donny’s eyes “why am I getting a biology class?”

“as a matter of fact you should get one” Don said quietly averting his eyes again from Leo's inquisitive stare.

“You know we are different from humans right?” Don continued

“Really..?” Leonardo said sarcastically “and what gave you the first hint the green skin or the shell?”

“Well, when master Splinter found us...” Don gulped “ He really did no know much about turtles, for which we cannot blame him because he was a pet rat a not a reptilian biologist and even they have some troubles with the traits in young reptilians, I mean for snakes they basically have to surgically verify and…”

“Donnatello!” Leonardo said in and angry tone interrupting Donny’s monologue

“Well basically you are not a…” Dan gasped “have you ever consider changing your bandana to another color I don’t know maybe a pastel color p.. p.. p.. ink one?”

Leo stared at Don for a minute not fully getting the implications of Don’s words; why on earth would he switch to a pink one? blue was a good color which Splinter had chosen for him, but he really did not care about it, he looked at Don bandana maybe Don wanted to trade his purple bandana for a blue one, he could not blame him that color was a difficult one. He was fine either way; though if he had a choice he would go for a black one, yes midnight black seem cooler more a lot easier to get than the blue color ones, he had voiced his thoughts of the matter a while ago but Master Splinter had adamantly refused.

He finally voiced his thoughts “You can have the blue color if you want, I will even talk to master Splinter about it, but I have not been very successful in convincing him to allow me to get a black one, I guess master Splinter still has trouble distinguishing us without the color reference” he smirked pointing at his bandana.

Don returned the laugh painfully shaking his head “Leo you really don’t get it right?”

“That this talk is turning weirder that those with Mikey, yes I really do not get it” Leo said calmly, when suddenly the tone choice implications stroke him as and the proverbial anvil falling on his head on the cartoons. He shook his head and shivered no Donny could not possibly be talking about that; he must have misunderstood something as he certainly did not feel any inclination to paint his room in pink and start collecting ponies, ballerinas or whatever but then... he really wasn’t human so he did not know, but certainly he would noticed before, or have suspicions. He shook his head again making his mind go blank and rose his gaze.

“Donny would you mind speaking your mind in plain simple English please and no more circling around” Leo said in a collected voice.

“You were different from the rest of us from the beginning…” Don stopped

“Different species perhaps” Leo said "that would explain a few things" like why he was leaner had more trouble gaining muscle, had grown slower.

“Almost right but not what in mean…is your were…" he gulped "I mean you are as we are a mutant trachemys scripta elegans yes... but unlike us you are a female one"

Leonardo was caught in a hysteric laughter “Yes.. sure Mike is the Cheshire cat, Raph is going to wear a tutu for his next night round with Casey and I forgot is April’s fools! you almost got me Don” he prepared to leave when Dons face told him he was not really joking.

“Ok, you are serious” Leo gave Don a deep glare

“Positive” Don nodded

“You are sure Klunk did not mess you papers again or Mike is playing with your computer?”

Don was upset Leo was questioning his knowledge “he” ugh Donnatello wanted to scream had always trusted him “No I double checked five times I am the one here with chelonian knowledge worth a PhD and you are questioning my expertise” Donny met Leo’s surprised eyes.

“You truly did not know you did not even suspected anything?” Donny said

“I never really thought about it, I am not the one with a soap opera obsession like Mike or a hormone like driven temper like Raph” Leo said “but whatever” he said calmly.

“That is all you want to say?” Don replied.

“There is nothing I can do about it, right? well maybe now I can feel at ease singing 'I feel pretty'” he said with an evil tone and approaching Donny looking at him straight on the eyes and tapping his plastron she added “but I would rather this be our little secret, one that will get you disemboweled should you ever mention it again” Leo said with a deceiving smile that froze Don to the bones as Leo left Don’s lab.

“Whatever you said” he said embarrassed to notice how beautiful err Lea? truly was and having to reconsider about the aggresivity level the females were said to possessed.

AN. Ok Leo’s fans please don’t kill me. I am a big fan of the TMNT, particularly of Leonardo. I own all the movies, love both the old cartoon and the new one not much into the fast forward though. Never been much of a comic fan the turtle comics have always strike me as difficult to read. I had the idea for a while determining a reptilian gender can be really tricky before they reached puberty so I wondered how Splinter found out and I have restrained myself but after reading a fanfic where Leo is exposed to laughing gas and sings the “I feel pretty” song I just had to write it.

The characteristics I describe fit those of the read eared slider morphological differences once they mature females are larger and have shorter nails.