Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Fan Fiction ❯ Book of Spells ❯ Raphie ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Raphael sat under the tree, watching Casey and April. They were eating their lunches and chatting. They might act like they couldn't stand each other, but when faced with challenges and boredom, even they could get along. April suddenly looked over to him as Brad walked up and called out that despised nickname.

"Heya, Raphie!"

Raphael ignored him. He had finished his lunch in record time, having learned from the second day of school that that disgusting milk flavored water—he really didn't like anything but whole milk, though he was thankful it wasn't 1% or skim—was a pain in the ass to get out of his clothes.

"Whatsa matter, Raphie? You look lonely!"

Raphael glanced at him coolly then responded in perfect Japanese. "You are an imbecile that has shamed yourself. You bring dishonor to your family."

Brad's face went blank while Casey laughed hard from right behind him. "Holy shit! That's funny right there. Ain't it, April?"

"Funniest thing I've ever heard! And so very true!"

Brad's face flushed. "What did he say, nosebleed?" he asked, grabbing Casey's shirt.

"Mr. Salvatore! Brad's picking a fight!" April called.

"No I'm not!" Brad gasped, releasing Casey quickly and spinning to see the man glaring at him. "I was…helping him up!" The teacher watched for a few more seconds then turned away. "Lucky little shit."

"Yatsu," Raph snickered.

Brad's face reddened again, in anger and embarrassment, though he had no idea what Raphael had said. The crowd dispersed, leaving April and Casey the only two standing in front of him.

"Raph? Is it really you?" April asked softly.

"So what if it is? I ain't going back there, and you two ain't tellin' 'em where I am."

"Oh, Raphie," she said compassionately as she sat down beside him; Casey sat on his other side. "They want you back. Splinter's inconsolable. Donny doesn't know what to do with himself. Leo's pushing himself past his limits in training. And Mikey…"

Raphael's head snapped up. "You hesitated."

Casey placed a hand on his shoulder. "Mikey's really torn up, man. Really torn up. His video game scores couldn't be lower. Hell, April beat him in his favorite game, and she wasn't even trying!"

Raphael felt as if his heart had stopped. Not his baby brother. Michelangelo was the only one that had really ever cared about his feelings, even if it did take a crowbar, and occasionally a few drinks, to get them out of him. The orange masked turtle knew when to pry him open. Donatello was too busy with his experiments, and Splinter and Leonardo were a team of 'hurt Raphael as much as possible.' Or at least, that's how he felt. He frowned.

"I don't know what to do now."

"Go home, man," Casey said with a shrug.

"Yeah. That makes sense. Hey, sensei, bros! I'm home to be shit on again! Nah, I don't mind. Not at all. It doesn't make me wanna kill myself or anything."

They winced. "Raphie, please," April begged.

Raphael shook his head then they went still and silent. All three of them had the ability, though two of them didn't practice it much. Unsure of what to do, it was their last option. While they were there, they let their eyes roam over their friend's form. He looked handsome, with his deep red hair pulled back into some sort of bun high on the head. His red eyes stared at the ground, unmoving and unfocused, which meant he was thinking. How had they not seen that this was Raphael? For crying out loud, he'd been nothing but alone since he'd shown up to the school!

"Raph?" Casey asked softly.

Raphael's eyes focused and he turned to look at him. "Yeah?"

"How are you…?"

"Human," April finished.

Raphael frowned and studied them hard. "I don't know if I should tell you that."

"Why not?"

"Because I'd get in trouble with Sensei."

"…Well, you obviously used magic," April said with a snort. "And we all know how Sensei feels about magic."

"What's your point?"

"How 'bout this, Raphie," Casey said teasingly. "You tell us or we go to your family."

"I'm gonna pull a Donny on ya," Raphael said with a frown. "If I tell you, you don't go to my family."

They both glanced at each other. "Not even Mikey?"

Raphael hesitated, but the bell rang so they stood and walked toward the school. "I…Maybe him."

Casey stopped April before she followed the red headed boy into the school.

"I'll go get Mikey. You work on him."

"Sounds good."

That afternoon, April was walking with Raphael down the sidewalk, heading out of the city.

"You leave the city to do this magic?"

"I found the place when I was younger. It helps me calm down," the former turtle said shortly.

"How much younger?" Casey asked as he came out of an alleyway.

"Skipping school?" Raphael sniggered.

"Eh, I don't think I missed much."

"No. You didn't."

"So ya didn't answer my question."

"Oh, I was about ten. Decided to run away from home for a few days. Traveled outside the city and found a nice spot. Next time I needed alone time, I brought the book and settled in."

"Book?"

Raphael refused to say another word until they were settling down in the clearing. When they asked again if they could see this 'book', Raphael consented and pulled it out. They paused as they stared at the ancient cover that was in perfect condition.

"That's it?" April asked in surprise.

"Does it have pictures?" Casey snorted.

"When I need them," Raphael replied.

"That's…a weird answer."

"I know."

"Can we see it?"

"You won't be able to read it," Raphael said as he handed the boy the book.

They flipped through the pages, and the red eyed boy noticed their faces go blank. He could plainly see the words written clearly on the page, but he remembered the strange symbols he'd seen as a child. He froze when a soft voice spoke behind him.

"Mind if I see it?"

Raphael turned to see his orange clad brother standing there, staring at him. He watched as those orange eyes dashed over his frame, taking in the way he looked. Raphael swallowed and looked down.

"You won't be able to read it," he repeated numbly.

Michelangelo knelt down beside him and took the book from Casey. His eyes dashed over the pages.

"They aren't words."

"Yeah they are. It's scrambled by magic so that not just anybody can do it," Raphael explained.

"I want to sign it. Is that weird?" Michelangelo asked in confusion.

"Do you two feel that way?" Raphael asked the humans.

"No," they both replied.

"Hm. Interesting."

Raphael entertained them for a while then April and Casey had to race home. Michelangelo stayed, staring at him in the dimming light. Raphael flicked his wrist and started a fire in between them. The turtle frowned.

"Come home, Raphie."

Raphael cringed. Besides April, his littlest brother was the only one allowed to call him Raphie. That Brad did wounded him greatly. But Brad wasn't like the creeps he beat up with ease. Brad had adults behind him that protected everything he did. Like his oldest brother. Just the thought made Raphael cover his face as tears threatened to spill from his eyes. Michelangelo was alarmed.

"Raphie! What's wrong?" he gasped, hurrying over to embrace him.

"It don't matter, Mikey."

"Yes it does! You're hurting. Usually only the family can do that to you. And let me tell you something important. They're the only ones allowed to do that to you! This has to do with Brad, doesn't it?"

"I'm going to cut somethin' vital outta Casey," Raphael muttered.

"Forget him. What did Brad do to make you cry?"

"It's stupid…"

"No, it isn't. It's obviously important to you!"

"Really, Mikey, it doesn't matter," Raphael said, shifting uncomfortably in his brother's embrace.

"Yes it does, and if you don't tell me—" Michelangelo started.

"He called me Raphie, okay?!" With that, the red headed boy began to cry in earnest.

Michelangelo froze. He knew the importance of that, though it seemed silly. For some reason when they were younger, Leonardo and Donatello had decided it was a ridiculous nickname and had teased him mercilessly until Raphael had punched the former in the face for it. After that, only the orange clad turtle was allowed to call him Raphie. It was personal. April, being both female and a good friend, not just one or the other, was also given the special privilege, but Casey had just about fought Raphael before he begrudgingly gave up the right, though he snuck it in every once in a while. Michelangelo embraced him and kissed his soft cheek gently.

"Hey, it's okay. It's okay. Just let it out…"

Raphael leaned close and sobbed out the pain and humiliation he'd gone through. When his emotions were spent, he relaxed, wiping his eyes.

"Sorry, Mikey."

"Don't be. From what Casey said, you've gone through hell."

"High school sucks. Hard."

"Well, I have an idea. I'll meet you outside school tomorrow afternoon."

"Okay. I'm tired. I'll do my stupid homework in the morning."

"Okay. Night, Raph. I'd better get home."

Raphael felt a lot better as he fell asleep that night. Better than he had in two months.