Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Advent of Washu: Cascade ❯ Recession of the Wills ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

[Insert standard disclaimer here] *I am nothing, therefore I can possess nothing.*

Pioneer AIC is the owner of Tenchi Muyo. I created only these writings and the original characters.

R&R may be sent to cgrundhofer@fanfiction.net

The Advent of Washu

-Cascade-

Being part 2 of

The Advent of Washu,

A Tenchi Muyo FanFiction

C. Alan Grundhofer


The Advent of Washu

-Cascade-

**********************004*********************

Recession of the Wills

Her gaze was captivating, the way she was sitting there, looking at him and grinning, the light from the moon reflecting off the lake, silhouetting her against the window. He was lost in the moment, standing there in the middle of the room, looking at the small woman sitting on the couch. He stared at her, and she stared back, smiling.

. . . Wisps of smoke drifted slowly between them. . .

"Mister Yakagamo, right?" she asked, rising to her feet and stepping forward.

Shinjiro shook his head clear and gathered his thoughts together, surprised at how shocking it had been to finally come face to face with her.

"Yeah, that's right," he said, walking fully into the room.

"Glad ta Meetcha'." She held out her hand.

"So this is the famous Washu, huh? 'Greatest scientific genius in the Universe.'" he said, shaking her hand.

"You know, you really had Mihoshi worried, the way you yelled at her earlier."

Shinjiro shrugged.

Katsuhito cleared his throat. "I'll be with Ryoko, if you need anything," he said, grabbing a tea tray from the table and heading for the stairs.

Washu gestured at the couch. "Take a seat," she said to Shinjiro.

"Don't mind if I do."

"Well, Lieutenant," she said, sitting on the opposite end of the couch from Shinjiro. "I'd like to know what you wish to accomplish here tonight."

Shinjiro grinned as he leaned back in the couch. "Not much for small talk, are you?"

"I doubt you came all this way just to chit-chat."

Shinjiro folded his hands behind his head and looked over at Washu. "Actually, I came to find out what you were doing at G.P. headquarters on the day it was destroyed."

Washu smiled. "Yes, Mihoshi did say something about that."

"So . . . what about it, then?"

"You know what I'm going to say."

Shinjiro leaned forward. "Only someone from the Science Academy would know how to undo Kain's subspace lock."

"I could have done it, if I had wanted to. But I didn't."

"I saw you there."

"No you didn't."

"You were boarding an escape pod on deck thirty-three, one deck below the controls for Kain's subspace lock-up."

"And you think the person you saw was me?"

Shinjiro shrugged. "Not too many women around with spiked red hair and bright green eyes, who go running around in old Science Academy uniforms, now are there? Besides, I'm good with faces."

Neither spoke for a moment.

The moonlight sparkled off the lake. Washu sighed. "I can see that nothing I can say will make you change your mind."

"Would you change yours?" Shinjiro asked, getting to his feet and looking around the darkened living room. "So where's Detective Mihoshi? I need her to take us to Jurai."

Washu looked up at him. "What's wrong with your ship?"

"It's not mine."

"Oh."

Shinjiro blinked. Why had he told her that?

"Anyway," she said, "Mihoshi's upstairs." She nodded at the stairway. Shinjiro looked over his shoulder.

"Up there?" he said, thumbing at the stairway. Washu nodded. Shinjiro sighed. "Alright, but you're first. Can't have you sneaking out the back while I'm not looking."

"Fine with me."

When they reached the top of the stairs he saw the old man and the blonde detective sitting next to a futon. A woman was lying on top of the cushion, the blankets shoved off to one side, and she was gingerly rubbing her temple, as if waking up with a hangover. A little girl with pointed ears and skunk-stripped hair was standing over her, fussing worriedly. Washu crossed the room and dropped herself into one of the large carrot-shaped cushions that littered the floor. Shinjiro stood at the top of the stairs for a moment, taking everything in. Mihoshi looked over her shoulder and gasped, jumping to her feet and saluting him. He shook his head and motioned for her to sit back down.

"How ya' feelin', Ryoko?" Washu asked.

"Like hell, what's it look like?" Ryoko groaned.

"Have some tea. It'll help with the headache."

Shinjiro stepped into the room and walked around to where Washu was lounging in her cushion. Ryoko looked up at him, then grabbed a cup of tea from Katsuhito's tray and downed it in one gulp. She sighed, dropping the cup and falling back onto her pillows.

"So, you're the cop, eh?" she asked.

"Yeah. Lieutenant Yakagamo, G.P."

"You're insane, you know. Thinking Washu could do that. She may be crazy, but she's no criminal."

"That's up to the courts to decide. I just bring 'em in."

"Good luck."

The corner of his mouth pricked up in a little half-smile. "Planning on causing trouble?"

"Maybe."

"Why are you doing this?" Mihoshi asked.

"Because she's the only lead I've got at the moment," he said, still watching Ryoko, "and it's my job." He looked over at Mihoshi. "Yours too, in case you've forgotten." He stared at her for a moment, then glanced at Washu. The scientist looked back at him, not moving from her lounged position on the cushion. He pulled a set of handcuffs from his belt and cocked his head. "Alright, Hakubi, I've wasted enough time. Let's go. Kuramitsu, get your ship prepped."

"But. . ."

"Now! You're taking us to Jurai." He took a few steps toward Washu, their eyes still locked on each other. Ryoko sat up and winced, leaning on her elbow. Katsuhito's eyes narrowed to slits. The little girl watched them, confused and worried.

Washu's eyes gleamed. "If that's the way you want to play. . ."

Shinjiro nodded, stepping forward again. Washu stood and held out her wrists. Shinjiro hesitated for a second, then slapped on the cuffs.

. . . Bring her . . .

He felt the bail's of the cuffs clicking together, each individual ratchet translating through the cold steel and into his hands.

. . . Yes . . .

"I can put a ribbon on that, if you like," Washu said from behind him. Shinjiro blinked and whirled around. Washu was leaning against the wall at the top of the stairs, a little cat (rabbit?) sitting at her feet. Washu laughed and took off down the stairs, grabbing the cat-creature by the scruff of its neck on her way down. Shinjiro's jaw dropped, and he turned back to where he had Washu cuffed. He was holding onto a large, Washu-shaped doll. Ryoko started laughing.

"Goddamnit!" he shouted, tossing the doll to the floor and taking off after Washu. "Get your ship ready!" he shouted, pointing at Mihoshi.

"She's a real bitch, isn't she?" Ryoko called after him as he tore down the stairs.

"So what are you going to do, Mihoshi?" Katsuhito asked as Shinjiro disappeared.

"I. . . I don't. . ."

Katsuhito nodded and patted her shoulder.

"Damnit! Damnit!" Shinjiro cursed as he hit the living room floor. He caught site of Washu giggling as she ran from the house. "Damnit!" He snatched the communicator off of his belt. "Get the engines going!" he shouted as he ran across the living room and slammed the door open.

"What?" the communicator crackled back.

"Get Amos fired up!" Shinjiro said, grabbing his pistols off the little table by the door. He looked up and saw Washu standing at the edge of the dock, facing the house and holding the little cat-thing in her arms.

"What the hell's going on?" Adrian demanded, his voice small and staticy over the Comm unit. Shinjiro leveled his blaster at Washu and started walking slowly toward her.

"That was a cute trick you pulled back there."

Washu grinned, scratching the cat-thing behind the ears. "I hope you didn't do anything indecent with it. I'm quite young and impressionable, you know."

"Quit with the crap already."

"Why are you here, really?"

"To take you in under suspicion of aiding in the escape of an A-1 class criminal and assisting in the destruction of the Galaxy Police headquarters."

"Wrong."

"What?" he said, stopping a few feet from where Washu was standing.

"It's in your eyes," she said. "You don't have a clue what you're doing here."

. . . Bring her in . . .

Amos's engines ignited, whipping the night air into a frenzy. Shinjiro laughed. "It's in my eyes huh?" He lifted his blaster again. "Nice try, Hakubi, but you're coming with me."

"Fine, but you'll have to catch me first," she said, and threw the little cat-thing into the air. The creature let loose with a howl that Shinjiro never would have thought possible from such a small creature, and a multitude of spikes erupted from its small body, elongating and stretching into the night. Washu laughed and jumped from the dock, disappearing before she hit the water. The creature quit growing, and now there was a spaceship with a shape like none other floating in the air above him. He recognized it from the old files he'd reviewed while at the academy.

"Ryo-oh-ki," he mumbled, lowering his pistol. "Oh shit."

"What is that!?" The communicator shouted.

"Get us in the air," he replied, "she's getting away!" He turned around, and there was a glowing red energy rod pointed at his head. He almost fell backward in surprise.

"You're not going anywhere," Ryoko said, holding the light-sword up to his neck, the exhaust from Amos's engines blowing her hair about wildly. Ryo-oh-ki started to rise into the air. Shinjiro tossed his blaster aside and smiled.

"Well, Ryoko, you're looking better."

"It'll take more than a little headache to keep me down."

"You don't say?"

"Yeah."

"Detective Mihoshi," he shouted, looking past Ryoko toward the house. "A little help here?"

Mihoshi was standing in the doorway, watching the scene unfold in front of her. She pulled her pistol from her belt and fingered it cautiously. "But. . ." she said, stepping onto the porch. "But she's my friend. . ."

"Damnit Mihoshi! She's getting away!"

". . . And they haven't done anything wrong."

"Damnit woman! You're a Galaxy Police Officer, and these people are criminals! What is wrong with you!"

"You . . . you don't know what you're saying."

Ryoko grinned. "Sorry, pal. Looks like you're on your own."

Ryo-oh-ki lifted higher into the sky, disappearing into the night. Shinjiro grinned. "Looks that way." Ryoko gasped and whirled around to face the Amos, just in time to see a volley of blaster shots flying toward her. They struck her in the shoulder, and the force of the impact spun her around. Shinjiro leaped forward and smashed his elbow down on Ryoko's back, slamming her to the deck.

"Ryoko!" Mihoshi shouted, dropping her blaster and running across the deck to the fallen woman. Shinjiro grabbed her arm as she ran past and shoved her toward the Amos.

"Where's your ship?" he demanded.

"It's in subspace," Mihoshi said, recovering from Shinjiro's shove. He cursed and looked up at where Ryo-oh-ki was fast fading away. "Come on," he said, scooping up his blaster and heading for Amos's airlock, dragging Mihoshi with him. Adrian was standing in the opening, holding Shinjiro's rifle from earlier. Shinjiro nodded at him as they ran up. Adrian nodded back, then his eyes went wide and he raised the weapon to his shoulder. Shinjiro shoved Mihoshi down and ducked himself.

Ryoko let loose a cry of anger as she flew toward the ship, dodging Adrian's shots and igniting her light-sword.

"You'll pay for that!" she cried, swinging her sword at the large man. Adrian dropped to his knee, and the sword passed inches over his head, digging into the hull of the Amos. Sparks flew.

Ryoko somersaulted in midair, pulling herself up to face the ship again. Adrian glanced over his shoulder at the scar Ryoko had just put in his ship, then sighted his rifle back on the demon-woman.

"Bitch!" he shouted, squeezing the trigger. "You know how much it costs to repair these things?"

The shots bounced off of Ryoko's shield, deflecting into the night. She lifted her sword again and charged. Adrian gripped his rifle tight in both hands and lowered his shoulder against the oncoming attack. Ryoko crashed into him at full speed, the impact causing his weapon to shatter in an explosion of blue sparks. The two of them flew from the dock, sending up a spray of water that got caught up in Amos's jet blast as they hit the lake.

Shinjiro stood and shoved Mihoshi forward. "Let's go," he shouted, heading for the airlock.

"Why are you doing this?" Mihoshi cried, bracing herself against the doorframe as Shinjiro gave her another push.

"Get inside," he growled, shouldering past her and punching the keypad. Mihoshi jumped back as the outer doors slid shut, cutting off the howl of the engines.

"Is that you, Shinjiro?" a voice asked over the P.A.

"Get us in the air, Rodge," Shinjiro replied, ducking into the passageway outside the airlock, "and follow that ship."

"I'll try, man. But damn, it's quick."

"Why are you doing this?" Mihoshi asked again, following the cop into the passageway. The ship rumbled under her feet as it lifted into the air. Shinjiro paused, but didn't turn around.

"It's what I do," he said, and then started back down the hall.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A gentle breeze blew across Sasami's face, her hair tickling her nose. She awoke without opening her eyes, and brushed the hair out of her face. The warmth of the sun beating down on her and the gentle lapping sound of water nearby threatened to lull her back to sleep. Her head felt cloudy, as if she was really tired and not getting enough sleep, and her eyes felt itchy behind her eyelids. The breeze lifted her hair into her face again, and she brushed it away. The lapping of the water became louder, and she opened her eyes.

She was laying on her back, looking up at the most perfectly blue sky she had ever seen. The air was clear, and a cool breeze blew softly. She took in a breath, relishing the fresh air, and then turned her head to the side.

She could see nothing but water. She sat up and quickly looked around. Nothing but calm, clear blue water. She stood, completely bewildered, the wind lifting her hair and blowing it out behind her.

"But. . ." she stammered, looking about for something that made sense and finding nothing but water. "What is this?"

"A dream, of course."

Sasami turned, watching as the faint outline of a woman appeared, taking shape as she walked across the water toward her. She was tall, with the same striking blue hair as Sasami.

"Tsunami!" cried Sasami, running up to the woman. "What is this place? Where am I?"

"You are on Jurai, Sasami, and this is a dream."

"A dream?"

"Yes," Tsunami said, kneeling in front of the young princess and smiling gently. "So you see, there is nothing to fear at the moment."

Sasami was still confused. "But I was just eating dinner a moment ago. . ." She gasped and covered her mouth. "Oh no! Did I fall asleep at the table? Oh, Ayeka's going to be mad at me."

Tsunami chuckled softly and took Sasami's hands in hers. "Sasami, you're going to wake up in a moment, and when you do, there's going to be a lot of people who are going to be very worried about you."

"What do you mean?"

Tsunami shook her head. "I just need you to know that everything will be alright, okay Sasami? A lot of things are going to start to happen very shortly, but I wanted to tell you that I will always be here for you, even if it doesn't feel like it."

Sasami nodded. "I know, Tsunami. You're always there."

Tsunami smiled and stood. "Be strong for me, Sasami. When you wake, everything will be different." She started to fade. "I have to go now, and it's time for you to wake."

Sasami nodded again and smiled. "Okay, Tsunami."

Tsunami looked at Sasami with loving eyes as she faded away. "Remember, I will be there." Then she was gone, and the sky grew dark.

"Tsunami. . ." Sasami whispered, holding her hand out to where the woman had stood. The breeze picked up, and the water started to ripple. Sasami suddenly felt very alone, standing in the middle of a great ocean of water. The sky grew darker, and the breeze stronger. A chill swept over the girl, and she hugged herself tight. Tsunami had said she was supposed to wake now, but she was still here. The loneliness grew stronger.

A low rumble started, somewhere off in the distance. The wind continued to grow stronger, and the ripples in the water had now turned into little waves that were lapping at her ankles. The sky was now completely dark. No stars could be seen.

The rumble grew louder, and Sasami squinted into the darkness, but could still see nothing but water, all the way to the horizon. The wind blew her hair about, sending it flying into her face. She batted it away, noticing for the first time that it wasn't tied back in pigtails, but was instead hanging loose. The blackness of the sky above blended with the darkness of the water, and she grew dizzy.

The rumble grew so loud that it overpowered the howl of the wind, and Sasami was really wishing that she could wake up. The waves grew larger, starting to knock her about slightly, throwing off her already dizzy sense of balance. She looked toward the horizon again, very worried about the rumble. Her stomach flopped as she watched the water dancing about in the wind, becoming one with the dark sky, falling off the edge of the horizon. The horizon that was growing closer.

Sasami gasped and took a step back. She watched as the edge of the water drew in closer, practically racing towards her. She looked about, and saw that it was the same all around. It was almost as if she were standing in the middle of a great saucer of water, and that saucer was growing smaller, the water spilling off the edges in torrents. Her eyes grew wide in terror as the circle grew smaller, closing in on her. The rumble was now all she could hear, growing louder and closer, the world shrinking around her. . .

She fell into consciousness, jolted awake by the mad barrage of jumbled and confused feelings that were pressing down on her, a thousand different emotions all vying for her attention, forcing her deeper into her shell. She was on the inside looking out at herself, and it was getting hard to breath. She clenched her eyes shut, trying to block the rush of raw emotion that left her feeling nothing, not even confusion. She forced herself to slow her breathing, drawing in each breath slowly and deliberately. The air was thick and warm.

". . . Let go. . ."

Her shell started to weaken, and she clenched her fists against the powerful feelings that started to break through and throw themselves at her. It became even more difficult for her to breath, as though she were getting smothered by her own emotions. Panic found its way through her defenses, and she tried to fight it off, but that only fed the fire, and now Despair was on her as well.

". . . Sasami . . . let go. . ."

Loneliness struck her hard, and she doubled up, her eyes opening wide onto a world of brilliant white. She gasped, drawing in a mouthful of thick air, choking on the back of her throat as the last off her defenses dropped and the storm was let loose. The world spun in her mind as the emotions surged. She felt everything at once, and it was terrible.

It passed as quickly as it had started, and she was alone, with only fear and exhaustion remaining to keep her company.

"Sasami, let go! You're going to suffocate yourself!"

She felt something tugging at her hands. Her fists were still clenched, her eyes wide open, staring into the great field of white that lay in front of her. Her heart was racing, threatening to burst from her chest.

"She's panicking."

She was holding on to something, clenching it tight in her fists. A shadow passed through her vision.

"Sasami!"

Tenchi?

"Let go!"

I can't. The fear would not go away, and she started to cry. Her strength waned as the tears came, clouding her vision. Clouding her world of white.

Her fists weakened, and it was suddenly easier for her to breath, but her fear did not lessen. She felt someone's hands on her shoulders, and heard a voice in her ear, but could not tell who it was or what they had said. She curled herself into a ball, exhausted and frightened, and could not stop from crying.

"Sasami," Ayeka whispered, pulling her sister close as she sat next to her on the bed. They were all there, standing over Sasami as she shook softly, sobs pulsing through her body.

The door opened and a doctor entered, carrying a tray of medicine and a pitcher of water.

"What is going on here?" Azusa asked as the doctor set the tray on an end table and brushed Sasami's hair out of her face.

"Your daughter is completely and utterly exhausted," the doctor said, gently taking hold of Sasami's wrist to check her pulse. After a moment she nodded and scribbled some notes on a clipboard.

Azusa stepped forward and placed his hand on the doctor's clipboard, weighing it down. She looked up at the king, obviously irritated.

"I've never seen an exhausted person do that before," he said.

"I'm sorry, Highness, but every indication points towards. . ."

"Especially not one of royal blood."

The doctor hesitated. Azusa stared at her for a moment, then removed his hand from the clipboard and turned away.

"Ah, yes," the doctor said, clearing her throat and rising from the edge of the bed, "well, there may be a few more possibilities we could examine."

"Good," the King said, taking Misaki's hands in his. The doctor gathered up her things and stepped toward the door. She paused and gave a short bow before opening the door.

"And doctor," Azusa said as she stepped into the hall. She paused and turned. "No one outside your staff knows of this."

"As always, Highness," she said, bowing again and starting down the hall.

"The entire court saw what happened, father," Ayeka said, smoothing down Sasami's blankets. The young princess had settled down by now, and was breathing softly again, her body much more relaxed than it had been.

"They are nobles," he said. "They will respect this matter." He turned and looked at where Sasami was laying in her bed, still curled under the covers, and sighed. "Your mother's and I will be down the hall. The nurses will keep us informed. You should rest as well. It is late."

"I'm going to stay here tonight," Ayeka said. Azusa nodded and turned toward the door. "Are you coming, Funaho?"

"I'll be down shortly."

"Hmm," Azusa said, placing his arm around Misaki's shoulder and stepping into the hall. Funaho watched them go for a moment, then closed the door and pulled up a seat beside the bed.

"This is a bad thing that has happened," she said, rubbing Sasami's back. The girl didn't even stir in her sleep. "She really is exhausted, isn't she?"

Ayeka nodded.

Funaho sighed and looked over at Tenchi, who had been standing quietly in the corner. "Not again?"

Tenchi blinked. "'Not again' what?"

"At the dinner, when Sasami first started to shake, you said 'not again.' What did you mean by that?"

"Oh, did I say that?" Tenchi said, scratching the back of his head and sitting on the foot of the bed.

"Yes, you did."

"I did not wish to worry you," Ayeka said, her voice soft.

"About what?"

Ayeka took up a corner of the blanket and fidgeted it about in her hands. "The same day you called to bring us here," she began, slow and hesitating, like a child who just broke a table lamp, "Sasami collapsed in the kitchen."

"Miss Washu examined her and said it was nothing to worry about," Tenchi added quickly. "We were all worried at first, but she seemed fine afterwards, and I guess we forgot about it in all the excitement that followed."

Funaho sighed. "If the King had known about this. . ."

Ayeka lowered her head.

The clock on the wall slowly ticked away the seconds. "Lady Washu checked her out, then, after the first incident?"

"Yes," Tenchi said. "She thought that Sasami was just overworked and tired."

"Overworked?"

Tenchi smiled. "She does like to do all the cooking, you know."

Funaho looked over at Ayeka and frowned. "But she didn't really believe it, did she?"

Ayeka looked up. "No, she didn't. How did you know?"

There was a knock on the door, and it swung open before Tenchi could rise to answer it. A tall lady, dressed in the robes of the royal family, stepped into the room. Tenchi had seen her around, but had never learned who she was. Besides, the way her green hair curled under her sharp, red eyes had always made her seem, well, intimidating.

"Lady Seto," Ayeka said, greeting the newcomer.

The lady stood in the doorway and looked over at Sasami, who was resting peacefully. "How is she?"

"Better," said Funaho, rising and crossing over to the doorway. "Come," she said, placing a hand on Seto's shoulder, "I want to talk to you about some things." She glanced back at Ayeka. "And you two should at least try and get some rest."

"Okay."

"Sure."

The door closed behind the two women, and Tenchi looked over at Ayeka. "Who was she?" he asked.

"That was Seto Kamiki, my grandmother."

"You're grandmother?" Tenchi asked, glancing back at the door. They were silent for a few moments. "She's kinda'. . ."

"Intimidating?"

"Young, actually, is what I was thinking."

Sasami stirred. Ayeka reached over and rubbed her back.

"Are you planning on staying here all night, Ayeka?" Tenchi asked, standing and stretching.

Ayeka nodded.

"I'll ask the nurse to bring you a futon."

"Thank you, Tenchi."

"She'll be fine."

Ayeka didn't say anything, but bowed her head and fingered Sasami's blankets again.

Tenchi smiled. "I'm sure of it. Tsunami won't let her get hurt."

"Goodnight, Tenchi," Ayeka said softly.

He nodded and opened the door. "Goodnight, Miss Ayeka."

----------------------------------------------------------------

"DAMNIT!" shouted Rodger, throwing his gun belt into a chair and whirling on Shinjiro. "What the hell were you thinking? I mean. . . Damn!"

"You're turning red, Rodge," Shinjiro said, walking past the fuming surveyor and plopping down in front of Amos's flight controls.

"Hell yeah I'm turning red! We just left Adrian behind! I can't believe you left him down there!"

Shinjiro punched in some commands, and the view screen displayed a tactical layout tracking Ryo-oh-ki's escape from Earth. "Damn, she's really movin'." He shoved the throttle all the way forward. Amos's engines screamed to life . . . and immediately bogged down again, whimpering in protest. "Shit!" he cried, slamming his fists down on the console. "Get it in gear Amos!"

"I'm sorry, sir," Amos said, sliding in front of Shinjiro. "But we're still within the planets gravitational influence."

"She's getting away!" Shinjiro shouted, pointing at the screen.

"Screw her!" Rodger said, sliding into the seat next to Shinjiro. "Amos, turn around and prepare to pick up Adrian."

Shinjiro shook his head. "Oh no, we don't have the time to waste. It's going to be hard enough catching up with her as it is."

"Um, excuse me. . ." Mihoshi said, timidly stepping onto the bridge.

"This is our ship, and he's my friend," Rodger shouted, punching the controls on his panel. "I'm not leaving him down there."

"We can go back for him later. Amos, continue pursuit."

"Excuse me. . ." Mihoshi said again.

"Belay that!" Rodger shouted at Amos.

"Belay this!" Shinjiro growled, pulling his blaster and pointing it at Rodger.

"Hey man, watch it!" Rodger said, almost falling out of his seat as he jerked away from the G.P.

"Listen," Shinjiro said calmly. "This . . ." he pointed at the view screen, ". . . is what we came for. I'm not backing down now, not while there's still a chance of catching up with her."

"There's no chance, man," Rodger said, leaning forward and shaking his head. "That's Ryo-oh-ki she's in. Everyone knows about that ship." He let loose a short laugh. "There's no chance. . ."

Shinjiro half-turned back to the view screen, dropping the gun to his lap. "Ryo-oh-ki's not Hakubi's ship. She won't be able to control it properly."

"Washu created Ryo-oh-ki." Mihoshi said. The two men turned in their seats and looked at her. Amos poked his dome around Shinjiro to get a better look.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Rodger asked, noticing Mihoshi for the first time.

Shinjiro dropped his gaze and frowned. "Doesn't surprise me," he muttered. He shook his head and looked back up. "Well, whatever. Continue pursuit, Amos. Best speed."

"Yes, sir," Amos sighed.

"Excuse me," Mihoshi said, stepping forward, "but I'd really like to know what I'm doing here."

"You're helping me apprehend Hakubi," he said, studying Amos's tactical display, which was showing the distance between the Amos and Ryo-oh-ki growing wider.

"But she hasn't done anything wrong."

"As you've said so many times before," Shinjiro growled, punching at Amos's controls, as if trying to will the ship to go faster. "And, since we don't have your patrol ship at the moment, you're going to help by telling me what you know of this system. Hazards, short cuts. You know, the stuff they don't show on the charts." He turned and looked her over.

Mihoshi dropped into the seat next to the chart table. "No, I don't think I will."

"That wasn't a suggestion, detective."

Mihoshi folded her arms and shook her head.

A low growl worked its way up Shinjiro's throat. "You know, I would have expected more from a first class detective. Especially from a Kuramitsu."

"Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you. But I'm not helping."

Rodger stood and pushed his seat back. "Damn, man. You leave Adrian behind, and instead bring her along." He shook his head. "What's going on, huh? I mean, what are you thinking?"

Shinjiro spun his seat around and went back to studying Amos's readouts.

Rodger continued to stare at Shinjiro. "Well?"

Shinjiro sniffed and stabbed at the console, shifting the readouts on the view screen.

Rodger sighed and shook his head. "Adrian was right, you know."

"About what?" Shinjiro asked.

Rodger turned and walked from the bridge. "About you."

And the doors slid shut behind him.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ayeka woke slowly. She had been sleeping the deep, dreamless sleep of the completely exhausted, and had just started to become aware of the severe crick that was forming in her neck. She sat up in the chair and rubbed at her neck, blinking the sleep out of her eyes.

"You were snoring," Sasami said quietly.

Ayeka rolled her head back and forth, trying to work out the crick before it got any worse. "I'm sorry, I. . . Oh, you're awake."

Sasami was sitting up in her bed, her knees pulled up to her chest and still under the covers. She nodded.

Ayeka turned the lights up a little. "Do you want anything? Some water?"

"No, thank you," she said, nodding at the pitcher on the nightstand and the half-empty glass next to it.

Ayeka moved from the chair to the edge of the bed. "How are you feeling?"

Sasami shrugged.

"I was very worried. We all were."

Sasami nodded. "She said you would be."

Ayeka frowned. "Who?"

"Tsunami."

"Oh."

They sat in silence for a while, the clock on the wall steadily ticking away.

"Did she say anything else?" Ayeka asked finally.

Sasami hugged her knees tighter and shook her head. "No."

The silence continued.

"Ayeka?"

"Yes, Sasami?"

"Do you dream?"

Ayeka chuckled. "Of course I dream. Everyone does."

Sasami sat up straight and looked her sister in the eyes. "No, Ayeka. I mean, do you have funny dreams."

"Funny dreams? Like what?"

"I don't know. Like they're trying to tell you things. Important things."

Ayeka smiled. "No, Sasami. I'm afraid I don't."

Sasami hugged her knees again. "I do."

Ayeka looked down at her lap and smoothed down her gown. "Well, it must be Tsunami, showing you things she wants you to know about."

"Not always."

Ayeka frowned.

"Sometimes they scare me."

Ayeka sighed and slid across the bed to sit next to her little sister. She wrapped an arm around her and hugged her close. Tears started to form in Sasami's eyes, and she returned Ayeka's hug.

"What's happening to me, Ayeka?"

Ayeka choked down the lump that was forming in her throat and made to wipe Sasami's eyes. "I don't. . ." she choked on the words and paused. "I wish I knew."

Sasami snuggled up closer to Ayeka and rested her head against her chest. Ayeka brushed Sasami's bangs out of her eyes, and choked back a tiny gasp. The marks on Sasami's forehead were different. Where once there had been two little triangles, a couple of circles had taken their place.

Ayeka stared for a moment, then let Sasami's hair fall back in place and leaned back against the headrest.

"I really wish I knew," she whispered, hugging Sasami tighter.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Adrian pulled himself up on the dock and rolled over onto his back, panting. "That bitch," he muttered, slamming his fist to the deck.

"You called?" Ryoko cooed, materializing in the air above him.

"Damnit!" he cursed, rolling to the side and scrambling for his feet. In an instant, Ryoko's sword was at his neck. He paused, and then slowly rose to his feet.

"That's right," Ryoko said, settling down on the deck and moving in closer to Adrian. "Now, tell me again why you're here."

"That's enough, Ryoko," Katsuhito said, stepping from the shadows of the house.

Adrian and Ryoko looked over at the old man as he walked out onto the deck. Ryoko scowled.

"Not until I find out what's going on here."

"His friends are gone," Katsuhito said, nodding up at the dark sky. "This accomplishes nothing."

"What? Gone?" Adrian said, noticing for the first time the large empty spot in the lake where not too long ago the Amos had been floating. "Damnit! Those bastards!" He looked up, and could just barely make out the soft yellow glow of Amos's engines.

Ryoko started laughing. "Some friends, eh?" Her sword flickered, and then went out. "But I still want to know why they're here. What do you want with Washu?"

"Look lady, I'm just in it for the money."

"A mercenary, huh?"

"Miner, actually. And it's a long story."

"So Ryoko," Katsuhito said, stepping up to the two of them, "are you going?"

"Was there any question?" she asked, and held out her hand. Katsuhito handed her a small, pink cube. "You know, it's a good thing Mihoshi dropped this," Ryoko said, "otherwise Washu would have to fight these guys off by herself." She started twisting sections of the cube; rotating the sides first this way and then that as the cube squawked and flashed with each turn.

"I'm worried about her, Ryoko," said Katsuhito, folding his arms behind his back. "She has not been herself tonight."

"Hey, don't worry about it. I'll take care of this guy and be back before morning." The cube squawked and flashed repeatedly, but nothing happened. "Damn, it always looks so easy."

"Do you know how to use that thing?" Adrian asked, taking a couple of steps back. "'Cause I've seen those things go haywire . . ."

She gave the cube a sharp smack, and the flashing stopped.

"Things might get difficult up there," Katsuhito said. "Strange things have been happening recently . . ."

"Look, I said I'd take care of it, alright?" She gave the cube a few more twists, and the sky lit up as a subspace portal opened over the lake and Yukinojo's shuttle emerged. She pocketed Mihoshi's control cube. "If you're so worried, then why don't you come with me?"

Katsuhito looked at Adrian. The miner sniffed and locked eyes with him.

"What?" Adrian said.

Katsuhito shook his head. "No, someone must be here in case Tenchi calls. Besides, I'm too old for this now. Take him instead."

"What?" Ryoko and Adrian said in unison.

"I'm sure he would like to get back to his friends if he could, and you're going that way anyways."

"They're not my friends," Adrian said at the same time as Ryoko said: "I'm not playing chauffeur to some old abandoned spacer."

"Who you callin' old, bitch?" Adrian scowled, turning to face Ryoko.

Ryoko whirled on Adrian. "you wanna' finish this?" she asked, her hand charging with energy.

"Let's roll."

"Well, now that that's settled," Katsuhito said, turning around, "I'll see you in a few hours then, Ryoko."

Adrian and Ryoko glared at the old man as he walked toward the house, and then faced each other again. Ryoko's eyes crackled. Adrian fumed.

"They're getting further away, you know," Adrian grumbled after a bit.

Ryoko growled. "Damnit!"

The two turned and stomped off toward Yukinojo.

----------------------------------------------------------------

It rested between Mars and Jupiter, carving a neat dividing line between the two, separating the inner planets from the gas giants that lay beyond. It also marked the border to the frontier, begging for the day that the Earthlings would break free from their home planet and journey to the stars, tapping once again into their spirit of exploration that has made them one of the more promising races.

"Well I don't like it much either, but I need some time to think," Washu said as Ryo-oh-ki approached the asteroid belt. One of Ryo-oh-ki's crystals drifted over to where Washu was sitting cross-legged in her chair and meowed. Washu shrugged and folded her hands behind her head. "Oh, just go in a little ways and find a big one, then hide behind it." She closed her eyes and leaned back, the chair rocking gently as it floated in the middle of the bridge. Ryo-oh-ki meowed again.

Washu opened one of her eyes half-way and looked at the crystal. "I can't keep running forever, you know." She closed her eye again. "Shouldn't have run in the first place, actually," she added softly.

Ryo-oh-ki drifted silently through the field of rock, passing in and out of shadow.

"Oh well!" Washu said, jumping out of the chair and pointing at a particularly large asteroid. "That one should do for now."

A sharp pain shot through her head, and she had to grab onto the chair to keep from falling. A slight shudder rolled through Ryo-oh-ki, and she meowed softly. Washu shook her head clear and smiled.

"Starting to feel it too, eh?"

"Meow."

Washu nodded. "That's why I need to stop and think."

Ryo-oh-ki passed into shadow once more, and disappeared behind the asteroid.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't like your friend very much," Mihoshi said to Rodger as she entered the messdeck. Rodger was kicked back at the table, sucking on a cup of Sake`.

"Yeah, well he's starting to rub me the wrong way too," he said, pushing a chair out from under the table with his foot. "Have a seat."

Mihoshi slowly sat down. "What are you guys doing here, anyway?"

Rodger arched an eyebrow at her. "Me?" He chuckled and looked at his cup of Sake`. "I'm enjoying a drink, and Lieutenant Yakagamo is slowly going insane."

"No, I meant . . ."

"Yeah, I know," he said, sitting up and draining his cup. "I was just . . . well anyway. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing here. Shinjiro, he's here for that red-headed chick, but other than that. . ." he shrugged.

Mihoshi sighed. "But why does he want her so bad? Why does he think she did everything he's saying she did?"

"What was your name again?" Rodger asked, refilling his cup, and pouring one for Mihoshi as well.

"Uh, Detective first-class Mihoshi."

"Well, Detective first-class Mihoshi, is there anything you can do about it at the moment?"

"Um, not really. I mean, he does out-rank me and all. . ."

Rodger handed her a cup of wine. "Then have a drink, and don't worry about it."

"She's gone into an asteroid field, sir."

Shinjiro nodded. "So, follow her in."

"Yes sir, but I must insist that you cut our speed by at least a third."

"Did Ryo-oh-ki slow down?"

Amos thought for a moment. "Yes, but not by much. Also, I've just lost contact with Ryo-oh-ki. There's too much interference from the asteroids."

"Try that new sensor I installed. And I'm not slowing down until I have to."

"What new sensor?"

Shinjiro punched a few buttons. "This one. I picked it up back at the thieves market. I think you'll like it."

"Company regulations strictly prohibit tampering. . ."

"Amos."

"Sir?"

"Shut up."

"Yes, sir."

----------------------------------------------------------------

It began with light. A brilliant, intense flash of light that was so white it was painful to look at, but she could see nothing else, and then she was floating. The rain was falling around her, and she was floating gently down through the clouds.

The rain was gentle, and somehow soothing, but it was not to last, for the clouds were already breaking up. She passed in and out of the sunshine as she floated toward the earth, the alternating cool of the raindrops and warmth of the sun on her face lulling her into peace.

When she woke again, she was still floating in the air, resting a few feet above the ground, and she was not alone. The women came from the stone building in front of her, whispering to each other and pointing at the small child in front of them, and she found this interesting.

And the gems were there.

Years passed in a flash, blurring as one in her mind as they seemed to have done in reality.

"Don't forget. We're on your side," Naja told her in passing.

The wandering years slowed, and she saw herself standing before a small cliff, a sunlit field stretching away behind her. She knelt down and held out her hand for him. He grabbed hold, and she pulled him up, chastising him for running away like that.

"You're so clumsy, Mikamo Niwase," she had said, helping him to his feet.

"How . . . how do you know my name?" he asked, staring at her with amazement. Their eyes met, and she never forgot that moment.

"The sun's too bright here. . ." she said, turning away.

Time blurred again.

"What are you doing?"

"Making things better . . ."

There were certain spots on the campus of the Imperial Academy that were special to her. The field had been one, and the abandoned library of the old campus was another.

"Who is it?" she asked as a board creaked from somewhere within the library's walls.

"Hello?" a familiar voice replied.

"Mikamo! Why are you here?" she asked, surprised to see the young man.

"To read the books. Why are you here?"

"To read the books as well. Ha-ha, of course we're here to read books. It is a library, after all."

They looked at each other for a moment, and then started to laugh.

And the library was swept away, replaced by her old office from home.

"There's nothing between him and I," she was objecting. "He just came into my library, and . . . and . . ."

"Oh, I see," teased Naja. "You called him to your library."

"Hey! You're perverting the facts! And you call yourself a philosopher!"

"I'm just surmising your story, that's all."

Her office spun away in a cloud of memory, existing now only in the depths of her mind.

"We'll call him Mikumo," he said, rocking their child in his arms. She looked up at him and smiled. Never before had everything felt so perfect. Never before had she felt such joy.

And the gems were there.

It was a nice sunny day.

"He has taken Mikumo for a walk, and plans to be back this evening," the butler had said. She smiled and laughed to herself.

"He does enjoy their little walks. . ."

The sun settled slowly into the fields, bathing the world in its orange glow, broken only by the deepening shadows. She watched the gentle transition to evening from her office window as a deepening sense of apprehension grew in her heart.

"They're not back yet, Naja," she said, stepping out of the front door. "Would you help me look for them?" Naja took hold of her arm to keep her from running off into the evening.

She looked at her friend, who had a stern but sad expression on her face.

"What is it?"

Naja looked away.

"Say something! Where are they?" She started to shake Naja.

"They won't come back," Naja said clearly, avoiding her gaze.

She tried to run, but Naja grabbed her tight.

"Let me go!"

"It's too late. They've already gone."

"No!" she cried, pushing Naja away.

"Wait!"

If I fly, she thought, I can . . . "I must use them," she said.

But the voice came, blocking all else from her mind. If you do, it will happen again.

She gasped, stumbling back against Naja. Her friend rested a hand on her shoulder. "They're gone."

"No!" she cried, pushing Naja back again and running forward, summoning all her will and strength.

It will happen again.

She stumbled and fell to her knees. "I must find them . . ." she whispered.

It will happen again.

She lost all her strength and fell to the ground, exhausted. "Why?" she whispered to no one. "Why is it?"

"They took them back," Naja said, kneeling next to her.

"Who?" she asked, her voice small through her grief.

"His true name was Mikamo Kuramitsu."

She looked up in shock.

Naja continued. "His grandfather was chairman Kuramitsu of planet Seniwa. The chairman has died, and now Mikamo's father has brought him back to Seniwa, and has closed the planet to outsiders."

"It can't be . . ."

"It has been decided by the cowards with power. Washu is for Jurai . . ."

"No . . ."

". . . And Mikamo and Mikumo are for Seniwa . . ."

And the gems were there.

Time meant nothing anymore, and she passed through it as a ghost.

The snow swirled around her, blown by the wind.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," the little girl cried, again and again, barely able to get the words out through her tears. She watched as the boy took the little girl into a hug, pride and despair tearing at her heart. She couldn't do it. Not now that she had seen him, so strong and happy. She couldn't take him back. . .

The wind blew, tossing the snow about in a whirlwind.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. . ." cried the child.

So am I, she thought.

The snow rose up and covered them in a blanket of white. "Goodbye, my boy," she said, melting into the swirling snow.

And it ended as it had begun, engulfed in white.

And the gems were there.

She awoke to find a solitary tear running down her cheek. She smiled slightly, and brushed the tear away with a finger. Ryo-oh-ki meowed at her. She looked at her damp finger for a moment, than rubbed it dry with her thumb.

"It's been so long, Ryo-oh-ki, since I cried for them last," she said, leaning back in the chair.

Washu is for Jurai . . .

"So why now?"

Ryo-oh-ki meowed softly, drifting silently among the asteroids.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The early morning sunlight shone through the large windows that lined the Tenjyu's halls, bathing the elegant corridors with a soft orange light, broken here and there by the deep shadows of the supporting columns. Ayeka yawned as she walked the familiar passageway, heading for Ryu-oh's berth.

The hallway was empty this early in the morning. The servants were all busy in the lower levels of the palace, and she doubted any of the nobles would be roaming about yet, having kept themselves up into the early morning hours gossiping among themselves about the party. This suited Ayeka fine. She was too tired to be answering awkward questions anyway.

She yawned again and turned the corner leading to the royal hangars, and found herself wishing that she'd slept better. Talking with Washu was something best done with a level head and not with one clouded from exhaustion.

She reached the end of the hall and stepped onto a transporter pad. She hated going around her parents like this, but she was fairly certain that her father would not approve of her telling outsiders about what happened last night. But, if anyone could help Sasami, it was Washu.

The transporter hummed, and next thing Ayeka knew, she was standing on Ryu-oh's bridge. She turned and headed for the center of the pod, where the royal tree Ryu-oh had once stood, elegant and proud. Now, a small seedling no more than two feet high grew from the large patch of soil that formed the heart of the great tree-ship.

Ayeka knelt in front of the young tree and ran a hand over one of its tiny leaves. A gentle tingling sensation played at the back of her mind, and she smiled as Ryu-oh welcomed her back to the ship. Then, Ryu-oh's joy turned to concern as the tree felt Ayeka's unease.

Ayeka nodded. "Yes, Ryu-oh. I'm very worried about her. I need you to call Earth."

A warm feeling gently touched Ayeka's mind, and tiny beams of light started streaming from the underside of Ryu-oh's leaves. Ayeka was immediately filled with a sense of the vastness of the universe as Ryu-oh stretched his consciousness out into space. It always took her breath away.

A moment later, she felt another presence in her mind, and recognized it as Funaho, Yosho's tree.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Ryu-oh," Ayeka said, opening her eyes. "I meant for you to call Miss Washu, not Funaho."

"Washu's not here, I'm afraid," said Yosho, kneeling beside Ayeka.

Ayeka started and turned to see the image of her brother next to her, young and handsome, as she'd once remembered him. She blushed and turned away as quickly as she'd faced him.

"Don't startle me so," she said.

Yosho rested his hand on Ayeka's shoulder. "Ryu-oh is worried about you, Ayeka. Funaho feels his concern."

Ayeka looked up at the image of her brother. She knew he was just a projection, a physical representation of Yosho's mind reproduced by Ryu-oh, and yet, here he was, looking and sounding just as she remembered.

"I need to speak with Miss Washu," she said quietly.

Yosho chuckled. "It's been quite the evening. Washu's not here at the moment. What is it?"

"It's Sasami. She's not well and needs Washu's help."

Yosho sighed. "Yes, there've been some strange happenings here as well."

"Where is Washu?"

"At this moment, I'm not quite certain. But I don't think she's been captured yet."

"Captured?" Ayeka sputtered. "What do you mean 'captured?' What's going on?"

"Well," Yosho said, his image sitting down next to Ayeka. "It's something of a long story."